• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Heard that Obama chimed in on Penn State.

Don't tell me that Obama chimed in on Penn State. Romney gave him a gift with the European tour, don't give it back by giving away Pennsylvania.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politic...ball-on-sports-radio-20120802,0,6328963.story

Shit, he did.

"I have been a big admirer of Penn State football," Obama said. "Obviously Joe Paterno was a great football coach. But there are some things that are just more important than sports. And making sure our kids are safe is more important than sports."

The president's comments about the harsh penalties levied against Penn State -- which included a $60-million fine, vacated wins from 1998 to 2011, and a four-year ban from postseason play -- came in an interview with an Ohio sports talk radio show shortly before he left Florida for additional campaign events in Virginia.

Asked whether the punishment fit the crime, Obama said that it was "appropriate to send that message that we just have bigger priorities. ... We've just got to make sure that we are always looking after our kids. And we have an affirmative responsibility to make sure that we're preventing predators from taking advantage of them."

What's the issue? He might lose some Penn State fans?

Forever

Banned
What's the issue? He might lose some Penn State fans?

Have you been in the Penn State thread? There's an enormous and delusional community built around that school which is collectively drinking the Kool Aid. He essentially just pissed them all off.

RDreamer

Wow, Rachel Maddow goes into more depth on Romney's tax return fiasco back when he was running for governor

He kept insisting that he had paid his taxes as a Massachusetts resident, and insisted to the press and to the people. Then, they found out he had actually filed in Utah, and he even knew this while he was telling everyone otherwise, because he was trying to change things. He was retroactively trying to change his tax residency all while telling everyone he had always done it that way. Wow...

Have you been in the Penn State thread? There's an enormous and delusional community built around that school which is collectively drinking the Kool Aid. He essentially just pissed them all off.

Do you live in the state? Penn State football is only a religion in the EXTREMELY red middle and upper middle of the state, where the morons are.

The democratic strongholds in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh really don't care very much about penn state at all.

Not a chance, the anti-obama sentiment is at fever pitch in Indiana. They love Mitch McConnell.
I believe you're thinking of Mitch Daniels.

Obama isn't going to win but I'd be happy to see Donnelly beat Mourdock. That dude was all Mr. No Compromise in the primaries. Comes off as a total dick.

Wow, Rachel Maddow goes into more depth on Romney's tax return fiasco back when he was running for governor

He kept insisting that he had paid his taxes as a Massachusetts resident, and insisted to the press and to the people. Then, they found out he had actually filed in Utah, and he even knew this while he was telling everyone otherwise, because he was trying to change things. He was retroactively trying to change his tax residency all while telling everyone he had always done it that way. Wow...
yet romney still became governor, who was running against him?

There was also the issue that Romney may have been committing voter fraud when voting for scott brown in the massachusetts special election a few years ago.

Do you live in the state? Penn State football is only a religion in the EXTREMELY red middle and upper middle of the state, where the morons are.

The democratic strongholds in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh really don't care very much about penn state at all.

I think they care but its not gonna affect the vote.

Pittsburgh doesn't care about Penn State.

Philly & SJ. They are an institution there.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Romney tells Reid: "Put up or Shut up"

Irony at it's finest.

The best part is all Reid has to say is: "It's just what I heard, go ahead and prove me wrong."

Based off the post earlier about Romney's taxes during his previous run for Governor there is no way this ends well for him.

I think they care but its not gonna affect the vote.

not really. Pittsburgh is steelers and penguins country. Philadelphia is Eagles/flyers/phillies territory.

I can't really speak for pittsburgh (since i haven't been there in a long time) but you have to go out of your way to find a bar in Philadelphia playing a penn state game during football season. The fiancee is an alumnus so this was always an issue. Penn state and Joe paterno do not have anywhere near the cred they do in the middle and northern parts of the state. Hell, on a given day you're more likely to see arena football jerseys and gear than penn state stuff.

It's a non issue.

not really. Pittsburgh is steelers and penguins country. Philadelphia is Eagles/flyers/phillies territory.

I can't really speak for pittsburgh (since i haven't been there in a long time) but you have to go out of your way to find a bar in Philadelphia playing a penn state game during football season. The fiancee is an alumnus so this was always an issue. Penn state and Joe paterno do not have anywhere near the cred they do in the middle and northern parts of the state. Hell, on a given day you're more likely to see arena football jerseys and gear than penn state stuff.

It's a non issue.

I´m not from the area but I´ve been up there and seen a bunch of Penn State stuff. IDK.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Nobody should be appeasing to supporters of child molesters to get a damn vote.

I´m not from the area but I´ve been up there and seen a bunch of Penn State stuff. IDK.

Just trust me on this one. The old saying about PA being Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Kentucky in between is pretty accurate in a lot of ways. culturally there isn't much common ground between the cities and the center of the state, and Penn State Football is just another one of those things.

Senator Daniel Inouye had this to say about Representative Kelly's comparison of contraceptive access to 9/11 and Pearl Harbor.

This made me do more research in to Inouye's life, and while many here may already know his story, I was amazed by it. He was a medical volunteer during Pearl Harbor, and although he was of Japanese ancestry (a high crime during that time), served in the US Military during World War II. Here is an except of his service:

Inouye was promoted to the rank of sergeant within his first year, and he was given the role of platoon leader. He served in Italy in 1944 during the Rome-Arno Campaign before his regiment was transferred to the Vosges Mountains region of France, where he spent two weeks in the battle to relieve the Lost Battalion, a battalion of the 141st Infantry Regiment that was surrounded by German forces. He was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant for his actions there. At one point while he was leading an attack, a shot struck him in the chest directly above his heart, but the bullet was stopped by the two silver dollars he happened to have stacked in his shirt pocket.[8] He continued to carry the coins throughout the war in his shirt pocket as good luck charms until he lost them shortly before the battle in which he lost his arm.[9]

Inouye as a Lieutenant in the U.S. ArmyOn April 21, 1945, Inouye was grievously wounded while leading an assault on a heavily-defended ridge near San Terenzo in Tuscany, Italy called Colle Musatello. The ridge served as a strongpoint along the strip of German fortifications known as the Gothic Line, which represented the last and most dogged line of German defensive works in Italy. As he led his platoon in a flanking maneuver, three German machine guns opened fire from covered positions just 40 yards away, pinning his men to the ground. Inouye stood up to attack and was shot in the stomach; ignoring his wound, he proceeded to attack and destroy the first machine gun nest with hand grenades and fire from his M1 Thompson submachine gun. After being informed of the severity of his wound by his platoon sergeant, he refused treatment and rallied his men for an attack on the second machine gun position, which he also successfully destroyed before collapsing from blood loss.

As his squad distracted the third machine gunner, Inouye crawled toward the final bunker, eventually drawing within 10 yards. As he raised himself up and cocked his arm to throw his last grenade into the fighting position, a German inside fired a rifle grenade that struck him on the right elbow, severing most of his arm and leaving his own primed grenade reflexively "clenched in a fist that suddenly didn't belong to me anymore".[10] Inouye's horrified soldiers moved to his aid, but he shouted for them to keep back out of fear his severed fist would involuntarily relax and drop the grenade. As the German inside the bunker reloaded his rifle, Inouye managed to pry the live grenade from his useless right hand and transfer it to his left. As the German aimed his rifle to finish him off, Inouye managed at last to toss the grenade off-hand into the bunker and destroy it. He stumbled to his feet and continued forward, silencing the last German resistance with a one-handed burst from his Thompson before being wounded in the leg and tumbling unconscious to the bottom of the ridge. When he awoke to see the concerned men of his platoon hovering over him, his only comment before being carried away was to gruffly order them to return to their positions, since, as he pointed out, "nobody called off the war!"[11]

The remainder of Inouye's mutilated right arm was later amputated at a field hospital without proper anesthesia, as he had been given too much morphine at an aid station and it was feared any more would lower his blood pressure enough to kill him.[12]

For comparison, Representative Kelly has served no time in the military, but instead went to Notre Dame and then returned home to take over his father's used car dealership, which he has successfully expanded.

Sorry, this needed to be quoted.

Jesus, what a badass. Also, dat ether.

Jooney

Sorry, this needed to be quoted.

Jesus, what a badass. Also, dat ether.

His statement needs to get some exposure and love:

“I witnessed the attack on Pearl Harbor and had the privilege of serving in the United States Army during World War II and I find the comments made by the Congressman from Pennsylvania to be misguided and insulting. It is complete nonsense to suggest that a matter discussed, debated, and approved by the Congress and the President is akin to a surprise attack that killed nearly 2,500 people and launched our nation into the second World War or a terrorist attack that left nearly 3,000 dead and led to fighting and dying in Afghanistan and Iraq. Having fought for this nation in Europe, I find that I have a special kinship with those who served in Afghanistan and Iraq and I routinely visit with the most severely wounded veterans of those conflicts. Just yesterday I met with a brave young man who lost all four of his limbs in Afghanistan. I hope the Congressman from Pennsylvania has the courage to share his comparison with them"

Jebus Christo, Glenn Hubbard says Romney's magical economic policies will create 12 million jerbs in his first term alone!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...0.html?grcc=grdt&mod=WSJ_hpp_sections_opinion

Even the prophet Reagan (PBUH) couldn't muster that type of job growth.

Yeah, posted this last night and went off the rails analyzing some of it, lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40539640&postcount=9913

Didn't even address the absurd 12 million jobs comment. There was just too much stupid.

It's a non issue.

A quick google search gave me 6 "Penn State" bars.

http://www.google.com/#q=Penn+State...pw.r_qf.&fp=efadbc5eaac9b940&biw=1600&bih=799

That's a lot.

GhaleonEB

Reid doubles down, throws the "put up or shut up" line back at Romney. He's released a full statement.

I'm surprised; I assumed this was a trial balloon of sorts, but Reid is escalating. I think it's a fine line between asking what's in the returns and spreading rumors; this feels like crossing that line. Regardless, I'm enjoying watching Romney continue to squirm.

Reid's Statement said:
“There is a controversy because the Republican presidential nominee, Governor Mitt Romney, refuses to release his tax returns. As I said before, I was told by an extremely credible source that Romney has not paid taxes for ten years. People who make as much money as Mitt Romney have many tricks at their disposal to avoid paying taxes. We already know that Romney has exploited many of these loopholes, stashing his money in secret, overseas accounts in places like Switzerland and the Cayman Islands.

“Last weekend, Governor Romney promised that he would check his tax returns and let the American people know whether he ever paid a rate lower than 13.9 percent. One day later, his campaign raced to say he had no intention of putting out any further information.

“When it comes to answering the legitimate questions the American people have about whether he avoided paying his fair share in taxes or why he opened a Swiss bank account, Romney has shut up. But as a presidential candidate, it’s his obligation to put up, and release several years’ worth of tax returns just like nominees of both parties have done for decades.

“It’s clear Romney is hiding something, and the American people deserve to know what it is. Whatever Romney’s hiding probably speaks volumes about how he would approach issues that directly impact middle-class families, like tax reform and the economy. When you are running for president, you should be an open book.

“I understand Romney is concerned that many people, Democrats and Republicans, have been calling on him to release his tax returns. He has so far refused. There is only one thing he can do to clear this up, and that’s release his tax returns.”

Reid doubles down, throws the "put up or shut up" line back at Romney. He's released a full statement.

I'm surprised; I assumed this was a trial balloon of sorts, but Reid is escalating. I think it's a fine line between asking what's in the returns and spreading rumors; this feels like crossing that line. Regardless, I'm enjoying watching Romney continue to squirm.

I still don´t think he has proof. But I do think that source might be someone who knows something pretty credible. I´m guessing they know its single digits and this game is just to get it out. I think the dems want the returns out before the convention.

Did he really release his returns to the McCain camp?

I still don´t think he has proof. But I do think that source might be someone who knows something pretty credible. I´m guessing they know its single digits and this game is just to get it out. I think the dems want the returns out before the convention.

Maybe the source is John McCain, lol.

Averon

Reid's taking a page out of the GOP's playbook. Say something loud enough and long enough with enough conviction, and people will start to believe it.

Maybe the source is John McCain, lol.
You joke but I think they have to have something from that. I really don´t think they´d go this deep on the tax records if they didn´t have something. They´d be laughed at so badly if they kept saying things like this and then found out he paid 20% or something.

Reid's taking a page out of the GOP's playbook. Say something loud enough and long enough with enough conviction, and people will start to believe it.

Nobody is going to care until the rank & file start yelling it on TV all the time. That's the GOP playbook.

Reid alone won't accomplish anything alone.

You joke but I think they have to have something from that. I really don´t think they´d go this deep on the tax records if they didn´t have something. They´d be laughed at so badly if they kept saying things like this and then found out he paid 20% or something.

I'm fairly convinced McCain doesn't like Romney (politics) and is bitter about being forced to take on Palin. So it's possible it comes from his camp. But man oh man, would it be hilarious.

RDreamer

There's no way he paid 20%. I've seen numerous tax professionals analyze what is known, and they've said he probably had a very very low rate. I don't think I saw any of them say it would or could be higher than what he's already shown. The thing is that we do know a lot about what he does with his money and how he deals with it. That story about his Utah residency earlier demonstrated it partially, and the other story someone posted about him moving to New Hampshire to possibly escape capital gains tax shows it even more. Like, I would personally bet all my money on the fact that the guy hasn't hit 20% in probably 10 years.

Going for 0 is possibly a losing bet, though, but overall it's a good bet to keep going with those accusations. If he was paying 20%, he would have released them when people were ragging on his 13.9. He paid less than that for many years.

Clevinger

I'm fairly convinced McCain doesn't like Romney (politics) and is bitter about being forced to take on Palin. So it's possible it comes from his camp. But man oh man, would it be hilarious.

I think McCain loathes Romney, but he likely hates Obama even more so he wouldn't do anything to help him.

Allard

Yeah this is getting bizarre, Reid must have some source to his voice, he isn't the type double down on something unless he was sure it was worth the potential hit to his credibility. The fact is what ever 'source' he has probably would get in legal trouble for even disclosing it. So if he actually does have a source to his madness he would never say it. If it does end up being true it is actually extremely likely to be someone from the McCain campaign since his group would likely have potential contact with Reid without scrutiny and as we have seen, he is no friend to Romney (no friend of Obama either, but that doesn't mean he can't be friends with Reid).

I think McCain loathes Romney, but he likely hates Obama even more so he wouldn't do anything to help him.

I dunno if McCain hates Obama, at least more than Romney. Who knows.

Yeah this is getting bizarre, Reid must have some source to his voice, he isn't the type double down on something unless he was sure it was worth the potential hit to his credibility. The fact is what ever 'source' he has probably would get in legal trouble for even disclosing it. So if he actually does have a source to his madness he would never say it. If it does end up being true it is actually extremely likely to be someone from the McCain campaign since his group would likely have potential contact with Reid without scrutiny and as we have seen, he is no friend to Romney (no friend of Obama either, but that doesn't mean he can't be friends with Reid).

Don't forget that $100 million IRA!

And then there's also the "gifts" at issue.

If Romney won't release the records, might as well throw everything at him. Say it enough times and it won't matter. Just like people think Obama is a muslim, kenyan, communist, so will people believe Romney is a tax evader.

(yes, I know there's a racial component there, but it does work in politics. Accuse someone long enough without them defending themselves in time, and it's stuck)

Should make a mock campaign ad:

With Mitt Romney's tax plan, Mitt might actually pay taxes instead of sheltering them offshore

teiresias

I think single digits may even be worse than none at all. What would Romney say if he released returns that showed single digits? "Look, see, I actually did pay SOME taxes, sure it was less than 10%, but I paid a little." It's not a much better argument, and maybe even worse since he'll have verified an absurdly low tax rate, regardless of whether it was actually zero or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom