• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Nick N
i have no doubt in my mind anymore that he paid close to 0%

Depends on how close to zero. I'm more inclined to think it's multiple years of paying less than 13.9% (Maybe single digits some years), plus all sorts of perfectly legal gaming the system.

Tim-E

On the other hand, that's pretty sad. Admit to killing children in January and people forget by November.

Get run out of town in 2008 then people come running back to you in 2010.

Yep. Romney is trying this strategy because it can work, except I don't think the tax issue is something that is going to slip away in this instance.

The electorate doesn't have a very strong memory.

gcubed

Depends on how close to zero. I'm more inclined to think it's multiple years of paying less than 13.9% (Maybe single digits some years), plus all sorts of perfectly legal gaming the system.

oh, its definitely legal, it will just look sleazy, and it is most definitely single digits. I'm sure it will also call into question his claims about leaving Bain, where he lived when he was Gov of Mass, etc.

Tim-E

Great quote from PD:

Holy shit if McCain pulls this off. Seems like a great pick on a national scale. I dunno if it helps or hurts him in places like Colorado/NM/Penn./etc but a woman on the ticket would be great

I honestly think most liberals were a little scared the moment she was announced. I don't think anyone expected the oncoming circus, though.

pigeon

Banned
New Romney Ad: Obama Declared ‘War On Religion’
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/new-romney-ad-obama-declared-war-on-religion

Do they really want to bring up anything healthcare related?

Forget health care. This is an ad about Mitt Romney loving the Pope! It took a Kennedy for us to elect a Catholic President -- when you're running for evangelical America, this is not a good idea. But it's especially not a good idea when everybody knows you're NOT EVEN CATHOLIC because...you're a Mormon. I seriously don't understand the thought process here.

While I was looking for the page the Sarah Palin news actually was (rumor starts to fly on page 186), I found this gem:
minus_273 said:
"John McCain likes to say that he’ll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won’t even go to the cave where he lives."

Says the lawyer/politician to the POW military veteran. This one is going to come back to haunt him. damn. who thought THAT was a good idea. You dont talk tough and bring a knife to a gun fight.
Obama got so much shit for saying he'd go into a cave in Pakistan to get Bin Laden, then he sent helicopters full of SEALs down the damn street from the Pakistan Military Academy and got him.

Another good one:
She seems to be pretty pro-gay rights, for a republican anyway.

AndyD

aka andydumi
oh, its definitely legal, it will just look sleazy, and it is most definitely single digits. I'm sure it will also call into question his claims about leaving Bain, where he lived when he was Gov of Mass, etc.

I agree with this, its not the numbers necessarily, its that it will unravel a lot of the other stories told.

Diablos

lol. Imagine if PD had a SuperPAC.

What would the slogan be?

"No matter what the poll says... he's doomed. Paid for by PhoenixDark for America PAC 2012."

Allard

Chicken Littles: I was unphased and entertained.

Same even though I wasn't a member of neogaf at the time, I watched Poligaf intensely during the 2008 primaries/general election. I was curious and ambivalent till we learned more about her, and every new story that came out starting with the 'on going investigation' of the state trooper made me realize what a huge mistake this pick was in waiting. Was not prepared for how much of a clown she actually was though since she did get elected to lead a state even if that was Alaska, I figured she had to be somewhat competent, she sure showed me otherwise!

As Chris Matthews says the other day it pretty much ends the conversation. Plus it also sometimes makes the accuser look worse than the one being called a liar. Just don't tell Reince Priebus.

Every single time I see that name, I misread it as Prince Reibus, and think, "That's a pretty cool name." Then I realize my mistake and wonder exactly how you pronounce it and what the hell were his parents thinking.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

GhaleonEB

This guy nailed it.

Edit:
This guy didn't quite.

Oh look, the exact opposite of what actually happened!

There's some fun to be had going back through the reactions, but given how Palin was a relative unknown to most of us, and certainly untested on the national stage, I can't blame anyone for whatever reaction they had at the time.

TA looks to have been the most sensible, though. (Kind of hoping I didn't have a reaction post to dig up, :lol)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hmm...

Nah, you're good.

Stinkles said:
I think she's going to be an underqualified gaffe machine and make ridiculous claims about how Alaska is right next to Russia or how she reads every newspaper and I suspect Katie Couric will put the final nail in her coffin. It's just a hunch. And hey Phoenix Dark, I think you will get over Hillary losing the nomination in a couple of weeks.

I amaze myself.

codhand

Hey EV, curious if you've read this article.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...x-reform-that-doesn-t-even-work-on-paper.html

"In 2015, and assuming no changes in policy, the Tax Policy Center estimates that the tax code will contain $1.5 trillion in deductions, exclusions, loopholes, and so on. But a third of these will be tax preferences for saving and investing, which Republicans have said they oppose changing. An additional 10 percent is made up of extremely progressive policies that help children, the poor and the elderly, and Democrats will fight like hell to retain these measures. And a further 17 percent comes from a category of miscellanea, much of which would be very difficult to change, like the exclusion of imputed rent on owner-occupied housing.

The closer you look at base-broadening, rate-lowering tax reform, the less it looks like an exception to the normal rules of Washington policy making and the more it looks like it will inevitably fall victim to them. It is clean and elegant when imagined by technocrats who don’t worry about the politics, clear and simple when endorsed by politicians who omit the crucial details, and likely to become polarizing and disappointing if it is actually taken up by Congress.
Olympians’ Break

Indeed, over the last week we’ve seen how superficial the commitment to a fairer, flatter tax code really is: Senator Marco Rubio has proposed, and Obama has endorsed, a new tax break so Olympians won’t pay any taxes on their prize money.

In their conclusion, the study’s authors note that there isn’t even the barest hint of an agreement between the two parties as to an acceptable target for revenue, a necessary first step for tax reform. So we are nowhere near the point where we can start working out the details of how to broaden the base and how far to lower the rates. But if we ever get there, the authors write that those details “might be the most difficult hurdle of all.”

They are almost certainly correct about that. Which is why it’s so worrisome that so many in Washington seem to think it will be easy."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...x-reform-that-doesn-t-even-work-on-paper.html

"In 2015, and assuming no changes in policy, the Tax Policy Center estimates that the tax code will contain $1.5 trillion in deductions, exclusions, loopholes, and so on. But a third of these will be tax preferences for saving and investing, which Republicans have said they oppose changing. An additional 10 percent is made up of extremely progressive policies that help children, the poor and the elderly, and Democrats will fight like hell to retain these measures. And a further 17 percent comes from a category of miscellanea, much of which would be very difficult to change, like the exclusion of imputed rent on owner-occupied housing.

The closer you look at base-broadening, rate-lowering tax reform, the less it looks like an exception to the normal rules of Washington policy making and the more it looks like it will inevitably fall victim to them. It is clean and elegant when imagined by technocrats who don’t worry about the politics, clear and simple when endorsed by politicians who omit the crucial details, and likely to become polarizing and disappointing if it is actually taken up by Congress.
Olympians’ Break

Indeed, over the last week we’ve seen how superficial the commitment to a fairer, flatter tax code really is: Senator Marco Rubio has proposed, and Obama has endorsed, a new tax break so Olympians won’t pay any taxes on their prize money.

In their conclusion, the study’s authors note that there isn’t even the barest hint of an agreement between the two parties as to an acceptable target for revenue, a necessary first step for tax reform. So we are nowhere near the point where we can start working out the details of how to broaden the base and how far to lower the rates. But if we ever get there, the authors write that those details “might be the most difficult hurdle of all.”

They are almost certainly correct about that. Which is why it’s so worrisome that so many in Washington seem to think it will be easy."

I hate that term. Its code for tax the poor.

Olympians’ Break

Tax revenue, as a deflationary pressure, is not what is needed right now with such high unemployment. The Federal government should be putting more money into the economy at this point, not taking it out.

codhand

Tax revenue, as a deflationary pressure, is not what is needed right now with such high unemployment. The Federal government should be putting more money into the economy at this point, not taking it out.

Right, I'm sure EV'll agree on that point, but as far as the "deets" are concerned, I think the article does well in pointing out the difficulty Congress would have addressing these issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom