• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Makes you wonder how successful he would have been if he didn't have daddy's million dollar trust fund.

He might have had to go out into the real world. I can't believe he's an idiot, he just doesn't have any life experience outside of his bubble. I have met many people like this, I'm sure everyone has.

Romney is this cycles Palin. Dude is dumb as fuck.

Please. Romney may make gaffes. And he might compromise all his stances. And he might be running a poor campaign. But the one thing the dude isn't is dumb.

He might have had to go out into the real world. I can't believe he's an idiot, he just doesn't have any life experience outside of his bubble. I have met many people like this, I'm sure everyone has.

This. He's socially awkward, but he's not a stupid person. Palin seems genuinely stupid but got lucky and isn't brain dead so she can exploit her fame.

RDreamer

Please. Romney may make gaffes. And he might compromise all his stances. And he might be running a poor campaign. But the one thing the dude isn't is dumb.

This. He's socially awkward, but he's not a stupid person. Palin seems genuinely stupid but got lucky and isn't brain dead so she can exploit her fame.

He's socially awkward, but I think the one thing that's bringing him down isn't necessarily that. It's that his party has dragged him to the far far right of the political spectrum. I mean look what happened when his campaign brings up Romneycare. It really isn't easy to try and dance around those topics.

GhaleonEB

What court ruling?

The state is mailing voter registration information to many welfare recipients because the state was found to not be in compliance with the 1993 National Voter Registration Act. Warren's daughter was involved in advocating for the case (I forget in what capacity). Because of this, Brown says the Warren campaign should pay for the cost of the compliance with the law.

Rather absurd; he's simply angry that more people will register to vote as a result.

Here's an AP article from today.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Brown-urges-Warren-to-pay-for-mailing-costs-3778255.php

Wasn't the statistics from the last election that white people voted for McCain with an easy majority, but when you separated college educated white people the results went to Obama? I find that interesting...no wonder they want to get rid of pell grants =p

The notion that blacks are more againts LBGT rights than whites or any other race is an urban legend. Statistically speaking.

Uh..no. Black people are still against gay marriage in terms of a majority according to recent polls. They certainly have a sizable jump the other way since 2008 though (although everyone has).

RDreamer

Scott Brown has gone off the deep end. He's calling for Warren to repay the money MA spent due to the court ruling.

This seems like a really really strange move. I don't entirely know the Massachusetts electorate, but I would think this slightly conspiracy theory-esque whining would cost him at least more than a few votes.

Have there been any studies, yet, of education level vs. political affiliation or presidential choice yet?

Last election was the first point in some time where Democrats held an advantage in voters with 4 year college degrees in quite some time; I'd be interested to see if and how significantly that regresses. They have long maintained a significant advantage for post graduate students, however.

As the Obameconomy continues to put college educated people out of work and on to welfare, expect Dems to grow that lead!

He's socially awkward, but I think the one thing that's bringing him down isn't necessarily that. It's that his party has dragged him to the far far right of the political spectrum. I mean look what happened when his campaign brings up Romneycare. It really isn't easy to try and dance around those topics.

I mostly agree. I'm just trying to point out that being socially awkward doesn't mean being dumb. And I don't think you get to make as much money the way he made money by being dumb.

gcubed

This seems like a really really strange move. I don't entirely know the Massachusetts electorate, but I would think this slightly conspiracy theory-esque whining would cost him at least more than a few votes.

I don't understand how he thinks its a good idea.

Edit... A5 is trash

Mike M

Nick N
The state is mailing voter registration information to many welfare recipients because the state was found to not be in compliance with the 1993 National Voter Registration Act. Warren's daughter was involved in advocating for the case (I forget in what capacity). Because of this, Brown says the Warren campaign should pay for the cost of the compliance with the law.

Rather absurd; he's simply angry that more people will register to vote as a result.

Here's an AP article from today.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Brown-urges-Warren-to-pay-for-mailing-costs-3778255.php

I just... What? By what logic? I can't even begin to comprehend this.

MA Romneycare version of Romney could have fared well in this election but for the past 4 years, he has been shifting positions on all sorts of issues and decided to cater to the Tea Party loonies for this 2012 campaign

I firmly believe that Romneycare Romney could have beaten Obama.

But Conservative Romney has set himself up to lose, like lose guaranteed

MA Romneycare version of Romney could have fared well in this election but for the past 4 years, he has been shifting positions on all sorts of issues and decided to cater to the Tea Party loonies for this 2012 campaign

I firmly believe that Romneycare Romney could have beaten Obama.

But Conservative Romney has set himself up to lose, like lose guaranteed

Romneycare Romney wouldn't have made it out of the primaries.

thefro

lol, the footage of Ryan they're showing on the news today really makes him look bad.

People getting kicked out of his rallies for heckling him and then him ranting nearly crazy-eyed about the welfare state.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Continuing on my own post from earlier, I'm often surprised by how little discussion there is about the Republican Brain Drain. It is a real phenomenon that few here seemed to have been interested exploring outside broad, sweeping comments about how stupid Republicans are, and so forth.

Here is an article from David Frum's website in the 2010 election cycle that does some pretty deep analysis.

The article notes that Republicans still do above average with college educated people in general, but that the trends become alarming when you begin to segregate "college" in any great degree; the better the schools get, the increasingly likely they are to be liberal. Further, it provides evidence that this was not always the case; as recently as Eisenhowever, Ivy League colleges were majoratively Republican. A relevant quotation:

Quite honestly - and I hate to be so reductive about a well thought out and reasoned argument - there isn't much to discuss. The brain drain is real and traceable. If anything, the Republican debates was evidence of this - where were the great articulators of ideology?

Where were the great intellectuals? Ron Paul is the only one with a plausibly coherent vision, sad as it is to say. One of the reasons he is applauded is for his credibility and consistency (rightly or wrongly). I have long said this - usually in reference to the UK, though it seems applicable to the US also - voters crave authenticity. The disillusionment with government on all levels is palpable and traceable - people want to like it and want to believe in it. However the instruments of government; elected officials most of all, consistently develop and enhance this cynicism. As it goes, I cannot countenance that I just almost endorsed Ron Paul, so sorry for that.

Anyway, it is understandable that people with an interest in politics and some degree of critical thought and education would reject the Republican party. They have no coherent platform. They proclaim state's rights and individual freedoms when it suits the argument and then claim to want a federal bans on gay marriage. Their economic arguments are based on unscientific or rigorous methods - the Austrian school, the Laffer curve etc. They actively reject science on climate change, on creationism. They encourage and use racial or sexual discrimination - see the birther issue, or the whole hubbub over Gay marriage. These arguments rarely attract educated people and usually repel them and represent a reactionary and childish party. (Though there are valid arguments for certain areas where they disagree, they are rarely articulated in an adult manner)

Obviously many of these contradictions come from different people (not always) within the sphere of the party, but that itself demonstrates that the party itself doesn't know what it believes. There are always going to be disagreements over vision in a coalition of people so large, but in the Republican party it is at its most divided and extreme. As it happens, the Democrat party has a similar problem in that it is united (somewhat) in rejection of extremism as much as anything else. Again, a lack of coherence leads to a lack of intellectualism in the public discourse. Both of these feed the afore-mentioned cynicism, I feel.

The most pertinent quote I thought was this:

Let me advance another hypothesis. Today’s top students are motivated less by enthusiasm for Democrats and much more by revulsion from Republicans. It’s not the students who have changed so much. It’s the Republicans.

This reflects the exact expression that has been made so very consistently in these Poligaf threads: the Republican party has gone off the deep end.

Well what do you know, that wasn't as blasé a dismissal as I'd first envisioned.

gcubed

lol, the footage of Ryan they're showing on the news today really makes him look bad.

People getting kicked out of his rallies for heckling him and then him ranting nearly crazy-eyed about the welfare state.

It must be stock footage because I saw the same clip on my local news

GhaleonEB

I just... What? By what logic? I can't even begin to comprehend this.

THe only reason I can come up with is that his campaign is reflexively trying to turn every event into a negative for Warren; it's scandal hunting. But it's so utterly absurd I can't imagine it going over well. It seems unusually foolish from a campaign that has been run fairly well to date.

Anyone have any polling data on how Baldwin stacks up against any of the 3 Republicans in the senate race for Wisconsin?

from the last poll i posted:

U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, the Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate in Wisconsin, is locked in a tight race with each of three leading Republican contenders:

Baldwin and former Gov. Tommy Thompson tied at 47 - 47 percent;
Baldwin at 47 percent to businessman Eric Hovde's 43 percent;
Baldwin at 48 percent for former U.S. Rep. Mark Neumann's 45 percent.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institute...-(co-va-and-wi)/release-detail?ReleaseID=1786

RDreamer

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Romney really isn't as smart as I thought. The guy must have put all his thought into business and it just terrible at acting like a normal human.

Yes! I have met many people, Oxbridge graduates, Harvard students etc. who are incredibly well educated yet lack any kind of common sense or social skills. I lived with two Iranians who finished in the top 10 nationally for their year (I don't know what the relevant qualification/test was) and yet couldn't work a mop. Or couldn't read people. Being well educated does not make one sensible or have common sense.

Being in a bubble for his entire life and never having to deal with particularly adverse situations also does not help with that. Romney is spectacularly inept at unusual social circumstances. Hence why he has been so closely managed by his team in terms of the events he attends and who sees them. I don't intend this in a mean way, but I really do think it is an impediment to be socially inept and be in such an important position. Diplomacy, speech giving, articulating the emotions of a situation, articulating the vision for a country, and people management/delegation are the primary tasks for a president. All of which require good character judgement and people skills.

This fucking guy
For example, Romney made no mention of Ryan’s plan to replace the current Medicare setup with a system that critics say could require seniors to pay higher costs for medical care. Instead, Romney focused on Medicare cuts proposed by Obama.

"The president’s idea for Medicare was to cut it by $700 billion," he said. "That’s not the right answer. We need to make sure we can preserve and protect Medicare."

I'm getting the feeling more and more than when Obama blasts Florida with Ryan medicare ads it will be over for Mitt. Why would you even pick the guy if you're too scared to say what the guy's primary platform is.

gcubed

This fucking guy

I'm getting the feeling more and more than when Obama blasts Florida with Ryan medicare ads it will be over for Mitt. Why would you even pick the guy if you're too scared to say what the guy's primary platform is.

My local NBC news actually explicitly called this out and clarified what it meant vs Ryan's voucher program. Was impressed

RDreamer

I bet Romney regrets his decision already and the weekend has barely passed, where McCain it took till October to realize his mistake.

I really still don't get it. When you immediately have to go on the defensive about someone, then isn't that a bad pick? I mean it says something that directly after the pick they have to put up a FAQ stating his plan isn't their plan. The medicare attack could also be considered "defensive," and they had to do that in the very speech that picked him.

Amir0x

Banned
as long as Romney isn't elected and the supreme court can retain its "Balance" - at least, what it passes for balances these days - I'll be happy. I just hope Obama stops being a pussy next term. And I hope he isn't a little bitch when it comes to medical marijuana once again

as long as Romney isn't elected and the supreme court can retain its "Balance" - at least, what it passes for balances these days - I'll be happy. I just hope Obama stops being a pussy next term. And I hope he isn't a little bitch when it comes to medical marijuana once again

I know you feel very strongly about this and admittedly it is a bit of a weaksauce for Obama, but in the grand scheme of things marijuana should, and rightly so, be on the bottom of the list of priorities for the country.

Not much he can do if Republicans retain the house and gain seats in the senate. These are the people that didn't care if the government shut down affecting millions of people. As long as the current crop of republicans retain any power getting anything through congress will be a nightmare and we'll have a repeat of the last two years.

Amir0x

Banned
I know you feel very strongly about this and admittedly it is a bit of a weaksauce for Obama, but in the grand scheme of things marijuana should, and rightly so, be on the bottom of the list of priorities for the country.

why? it's a huge cost problem for the country. if we're talking about waste, why not create a multi billion dollar taxable industry, save tax payer dollars by releasing comically unjustly imprisoned individuals, end the drug war and its billions and billions of dollars of wasted funds, the list goes on and on. The drug war has been and shall remain one of the biggest issues facing the country today. It's also PART of the economic problem, and the "economy" happens to be the top issue itself, so trying to disconnect the two is also scandalous

why? it's a huge cost problem for the country. if we're talking about waste, why not create a multi billion dollar taxable industry, save tax payer dollars by releasing comically unjustly imprisoned individuals, end the drug war and its billions and billions of dollars of wasted funds, the list goes on and on. The drug war has been and shall remain one of the biggest issues facing the country today. It's also PART of the economic problem, and the "economy" happens to be the top issue itself, so trying to disconnect the two is also scandalous

I agree with all of this, but in terms of pressing matters in terms of political capital with the current opposition I think our education system is what needs to be addressed the most and it's my personal hope that the administration spends the majority of his next term working on this.

Measley

Not only that, but legalizing Marijuana would solve a LOT of this country's problems. The reasons behind prohibition on Marijuana was stupid to begin with. I fully expect Obama to de-criminalize it in his second term.

RDreamer

I think I'd have to agree with all this.

Personally though I think the most pressing matter with regards to the economy its future is still our college loan system and the students still burdened by such huge debts, but that's just me personally.

If we were to tackle both of these issues together that would free our generation and help this economy in a huge way.

Not only that, but legalizing Marijuana would solve a LOT of this country's problems. The reasons behind prohibition on Marijuana was stupid to begin with. I fully expect Obama to de-criminalize it in his second term.

You fully expect it? Eh, don't get your hopes up. I expect him to plant a seed and start shifting the conversation. De-criminalization in the next few years seems like a pipe dream though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I'm watching the nightly news and Todd is going over the basics of the Ryan plan and what Obama did and the fallout. I have to say it wasn't a bad overview, it summarized Ryan's plan very neatly.

Speaking of which what would you guys say your top 3 priorities for a 2nd Obama administration would be being realistic (so no sudden jump to a single payer system).

bananas

Banned
Mitt Romney was in St. Augustine, FL earlier this morning. Outside of Flagler College (fun fact: this is where I went to college), he held a rally, and none other than Rick Scott introduced him.

Now, he didn't bring Paul Ryan down here, because of how unpopular he and his budget are here. So, they get the most unpopular governor in the country to introduce him. The same governor who committed Medicare fraud.

I just- I just don't get it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Mitt Romney was in St. Augustine, FL earlier this morning. Outside of Flagler College (fun fact: this is where I went to college), he held a rally, and none other than Rick Scott introduced him.

Now, he didn't bring Paul Ryan down here, because of how unpopular he and his budget are here. So, they get the most unpopular governor in the country to introduce him. The same governor who committed Medicare fraud.

I just- I just don't get it.

I swear to god everytime you post I want to avatar quote you. But yea that shit is bananas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom