• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-E

I'm glad I've seen several news outlets call out Romney's campaign on his "Obama is taking 700b from Medicare!" line and their dodging of Ryan's Medicare plan. I don't think this will work for them.

It also seems like the Romney campaign wants to hand over Iowa to Obama.

Yeah I'm glad that the "work-requirement" bs is being called out too.

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/scarce/chuck-todd-calls-out-republican-governor-ly

Even then, it sucks that such a blatant lie can be used repeatedly in ads and speeches. And a lot of Media is reporting what Romney said, without labeling it as a LIE that it is.

Romney has more Pants on Fire lies than Bachman now. This election may be won on the back of lying by a Presidential candidate on a level that we have never seen before.

Boston Globe article itself is not accessible, but:
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/08/16/obama_voter_registration_effort_falters.html

A Boston Globe analysis of voter registration data in swing states reveals scant evidence that the massive undertaking by President Obama's campaign is yielding much fresh support for the incumbent."

"In stark contrast to 2008, when a strong partisan tailwind propelled Democratic voter registration to record levels, this year Republican and independent gains are far outpacing those of Democrats."

Ouch

Puddles

Banned
There is no fucking point to a voucher system when Medicare has overhead costs of 2-3%. There is no money to be saved there. You aren't going to make administration more efficient.

The way to save money on medicine is to reduce the price of the care itself (drugs, procedures, etc). We are getting gouged to the tune of at least tens of billions of a year in the U.S. compared to other countries. No one really talks about that either, neither Democrat nor Republican.

Tim-E

There is no fucking point to a voucher system when Medicare has overhead costs of 2-3%. There is no money to be saved there. You aren't going to make administration more efficient.

The way to save money on medicine is to reduce the price of the care itself (drugs, procedures, etc). We are getting gouged to the tune of at least tens of billions of a year in the U.S. compared to other countries. No one really talks about that either, neither Democrat nor Republican.

For profit healthcare FTW! Good health is not a right!!! If you want it pay up, sucker!!!

RE: 2016 talk.

You folks all seem to never mention one guy who I think WILL run for office.

And win.

Antonio Villaraigosa

41st Mayor of Los Angeles
2005-2013

63rd Speaker of the California Assembly
1998-2000

Majority Leader of the California Assembly
1996-1998

Member of the Los Angeles City Council
from the 14th district
2003-2005

Member of the California State Assembly
from the 45th district
1994-2000

Born Antonio Ramón Villar, Jr.
January 23, 1953 (age 59)
Boyle Heights, California, U.S.

Party leaders know he's their man.

So he has experience at all levels of government, including some pretty damn impressive executive experience....LA is no small potatoes.

You want a REAL boot strap story?

The kind of story Reagan had wet dreams about?

I have tears in my eyes.

But wait, theres more.

Hes every democrats wet dream.

Transportation? Under his watch, he got a tax passed, in California, where passing taxes is fucking impossible.....and now there are FOUR (4!) light rail lines under construction.

Safety? "Villaraigosa is a member of the Mayors Against Illegal Guns Coalition, a national organization of Mayors whose goal is to increase gun control." I can see Bloomberg donating to this campaign.

...and so much more. Just read his wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Villaraigosa

Oh right, and hes of mexican background.

You want Texas blue in 2016? He's your man.

Baggage:

Ethics violations
On May 2, 2007, the Los Angeles Times reported that Villaraigosa was under investigation for ethics violations. "The executive director of the Los Angeles Ethics Commission...accused Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa of 31 violations of campaign finance and disclosure laws stemming from his 2003 campaign for the City Council."[59]
In June 2010, a formal ethics investigation of Villariagosa was launched, due to his unreported acceptance of 81 tickets to concerts, awards ceremonies and sporting events.[60] Estimates - including the 13 Lakers courtside tickets valued at $3,100 each[61] and Academy Awards and Governor’s Ball tickets at $21,000 each—suggest that the value of the tickets could amount to tens of thousands of dollars.[62] The unreported tickets came to light after the City of Los Angeles paid $3.2 million for Michael Jackson's Memorial, including $2 million in police overtime.
[edit]

Nepotism
In 2009 the Los Angeles Times[63] published an investigative report questioning the assignment of high-paying government jobs to those with close family or other personal connections to those in political power, pointing out that California taxpayers pay Marisela Villar, daughter of Villaraigosa, $68,000 for work as a "field representative" answering constituent calls and arranging community meetings. Ms. Villar reportedly has no degrees or other particular qualifications for the position,[63] to which she was appointed by close political allies of her father.[63] "It looks like nepotism," said Tracy Westen, chief executive of the Center for Governmental Studies in Los Angeles. "It's the kind of thing the public doesn't like: people using their power and influence to provide cushy jobs to friends and family.".[63]
Controversy arose in response to the sudden withdrawal of Ricardo Lara and Arturo Chavez from the 2008, 46th District election, which is alleged to have occurred after the two attended a secret meeting at the Getty House with Villaraigosa and his cousin, John Pérez, who had recently announced his candidacy for the seat.[64] The departure of these two serious challengers cleared the field for John Pérez to win the seat. Within months, Villaraigosa appointed Lara to the Los Angeles City Planning Commission.[65] Lara later gained criticism for concurrently serving on the Planning Commission board (restricted to residents of Los Angeles) and running for state Assembly in the 50th District (restricted to residents of the 50th District). No part of the City of Los Angeles is included in the 50th District.[66] Following the Los Angeles Times article, "Legislative aide Ricardo Lara accused of straddling communities," Lara resigned from the Planning Commission.[67]

Divorce
In the wake of extensive media coverage of his affair with Spanish-language television reporter, Mirthala Salinas, Villaraigosa announced that he was separating from his wife, and on June 12, 2007, Corina Villaraigosa filed for dissolution of marriage in Los Angeles Superior Court, citing irreconcilable differences. Villaraigosa acknowledged on July 3, 2007, that he was in a relationship with Salinas.[82][83] As a result of the affair, Salinas was suspended by her employer,[84] Telemundo, forcibly relocated to Riverside,[85] after which she resigned.[86] In a New Yorker profile published shortly before the divorce, Villaraigosa acknowledged that he and Corina had had difficulties over the course of their marriage. “In a twenty-year marriage, there are many ups and downs," Villaraigosa said."[3] The New Yorker also reported that in 1994, while Corina was undergoing treatment for thyroid cancer, Villaraigosa was involved with a friend's wife and Corina filed for dissolution of marriage at that time.[3][79] The couple reconciled two years later.[3] The New Yorker magazine reported that Villaraigosa's actions had infuriated colleagues who had helped portray him as a family man and lost him key supporters.[3][79]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Villaraigosa

Grr Democrats are just so gosh darn angry and always so negative
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=STdzNePvR-4

This web ad hurts my eyes as well.

This is going to be a massive land-slide election for the GOP. People voted for Obama because he was the one that would unite. He was supposed to be different. Everyone knows now that he isn't the "one." He doesn't truly care about people, only his own reelection. He doesn't have the backs of the American people. The only response the Dems have is to try to paint Romney as being no different. Romney is different. He's a real man that stands with hard workers.
MarketingPersonality 10 minutes ago

I feel like I'm being trolled.

Holy shit.

Villaraigosa is Edwards level of slimey.

Isn't that the entire reason democrats are focusing on the more choir boy, less potential time bomb Castro? I think people, mainly liberal blog visitors and GAFers, tend to view things through an idealistic prism in which being too liberal doesn't exist. In this view, Elizabeth Warren can be a presidential candidate in 4-8 years, and a LA mayor who raised taxes, has a long history of gun control advocacy, and has been accused of more than 30 ethics violations is a solid candidate because he's brown

Tim-E

Isn't that the entire reason democrats are focusing on the more choir boy, less potential time bomb Castro? I think people, mainly liberal blog visitors and GAFers, tend to view things through an idealistic prism in which being too liberal doesn't exist. In this view, Elizabeth Warren can be a presidential candidate in 4-8 years, and a LA mayor who raised taxes, has a long history of gun control advocacy, and has been accused of more than 30 ethics violations is a solid candidate because he's brown

I agree with you completely. If the democrats put out Presidential candidates that hard hardcore lefties, they are going to get destroyed. The only way liberalism is going to be taken seriously by enough people in order to win a Presidential election is if it's pragmatic. Pushing to the far left will not win an election outside of a handful of states.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Even then, it sucks that such a blatant lie can be used repeatedly in ads and speeches. And a lot of Media is reporting what Romney said, without labeling it as a LIE that it is.

Romney has more Pants on Fire lies than Bachman now. This election may be won on the back of lying by a Presidential candidate on a level that we have never seen before.

Boston Globe article itself is not accessible, but:
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/08/16/obama_voter_registration_effort_falters.html

Ouch

Dude, in 2004, george bush beat John Kerry thanks to a few thousand votes in Ohio, and the center of that campaign was to paint a naval officer of the Lieutenant, Junior Grade rank (the eqivalent of First Lieutenant in the Army, marines, and Air force. O-2 pay grade), a man who received a Bronze Star, a Silver Star and three Purple Hearts for his service in Vietnam, as a coward and unpatriotic.

Lying is what the republicans do.

eznark

Banned

Villaragosa is a lock for the 2016 nomination. The only question is whether he will pick Weiner or Spitzer to be his running mate.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, farther than that and we go back to the time of Dixiecrats who supported Jim Crow and segregation.

40-45 years ago is when we had the modernization (polarization) of the Republican and Democratic party.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...olitical.2C_sociological_and_cultural_effects

The Southern Strategy is when the Republican party began to overtly pull in white southern voters, but Hoover's betrayal of the black community is what first pushed them to the Democratic side. Then much later you had Reagan's presidency which cemented everything.

Question: Was Biden's "chains" comment in front of a nearly all black audience?

I read the headlines and the transcript, but never saw the video. I didn't think it was too bad when I read it, but in such a context I guess it could look like a bigger goof than I thought.

The way he said "Ya'll" (in "put ya'll back in chainz") was particularly cringeworthy.

But there is a diffference . . . this is Biden being Biden and going off-script and sticking his foot in his mouth. (or did the prepared speech really have that line in there? I doubt it.) When Gingrich starts talking about welfare, it is intentionally coded language.

Tim-E

The VP is supposed to just kind of hang out and be another mouthpiece of the executive branch, and Biden has been good at that. There's really not much else a VP can do. The fact that they're latching onto this Biden comment when this was supposed to be their big week attacking Obama on his MEDICARE CUTZ with their amazing new VP pick shows that they really have nothing to run on. They absolutely cannot stand it that a democrat campaign is as aggressive as Obama is.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So they will send you a letter saying to come pick up your ID...but they won't send you the ID in the mail. THEY'RE ALREADY PAYING FOR POSTAGE!

It is odd. But I think they take your picture for your ID, so you need to go in a second time. Of course, they could just take a picture the first time, then store it and use it when/if your residence is verified. But that's too complicated I guess.

In TN they will not mail you an initial DL, but they will a renewal I think.

eznark

Banned
When he takes his first hit while Romney is responding, Obama should interrupt him with a refreshing "aaaaaaaah."

Oh God, remember that second Gore debate when Al decided it'd be great to interrupt and sigh (and sweat like a maniac?) Man, that was awesome.

gcubed

Oh God, remember that second Gore debate when Al decided it'd be great to interrupt and sigh (and sweat like a maniac?) Man, that was awesome.

SNL has gone to shit with Obama in office, they dont have a great impersonator, and they dont write as well. Man, Perot, HW Bush, Clinton, Gore... that was the best time for SNL political spoofing

thefro

SNL has gone to shit with Obama in office, they dont have a great impersonator, and they dont write as well. Man, Perot, HW Bush, Clinton, Gore... that was the best time for SNL political spoofing

yep, the best they've had is The Rock Obama.

I've yet to really see anyone do a really funny obama. He's just a guy that's hard to get a funny impersonation of.

And really leaving out Palin? They did so well on that they've etched into the national memory quotes by Palin that she never said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom