• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

They have an update on his comments and maybe I'm just misunderstanding what he's saying, but it's a bit of a stretch to claim he said he's never heard of ''a Girl Getting Pregnant From Statutory Rape Or Incest''.

What? That's not really much of a stretch. Sure he qualifies it by saying it hasn't been brought to him personally, but what does that fucking matter? Does every statutory rape victim that gets pregnant have to go call up Steve King and let him know or else he'll just assume it's not happening and write legislation against those victims? Maybe he could do himself a little fucking favor and look these things up before he puts his pen to paper and his foot in his mouth. It's completely ridiculous and what he said is indefensible.

commedieu

Banned
They have an update on his comments and maybe I'm just misunderstanding what he's saying, but it's a bit of a stretch to claim he said he's never heard of ''a Girl Getting Pregnant From Statutory Rape Or Incest''.

Aren't you stretching a tad to some how rationalize how even the basic suggestion of what he said is some how not completely insane? Why is it that these representatives now need 2 to 3 interviews and clarifications for what they originally say?

There is no content worth hearing in a sentence that displays that you haven't personally known any rape babies, but you'd like to be educated about them? What is that saying...?

edit:

Beaten.

I mean yea, I know most rational GOP folks are now trying to damage control this situation, but its literally impossible. These people are so far out of touch with reality they make it a behemoth task for anyone to try to put it all back together.

markatisu

This! I'm not surprised that people believe this stuff, I'm more surprised that he's going on TV and saying this NOW.

Maybe the 2010 "Red Tsunami" has them thinking that they need to push harder to get more votes. Who knows.

I guarantee you that is what they think here, the GOP took control of the state government as well as booted some judges that voted for gay marriage so they are full of confidence.

Its going to be a wide awakening in November for them though

So is the Republican vision of the future more or less The Handmaid's Tale?

Wiki has a nice convenient summary of this book for anyone that hasn't read it:

The Handmaid's Tale is set in the near future in the Republic of Gilead, a country formed within the borders of what was formerly the United States of America. It was founded by a racist, homophobic, male chauvinist, nativist, theocratic-organized military coup as an ideologically driven response to the pervasive ecological, physical and social degradation of the country.

Beginning with a staged terrorist attack (blamed on Islamic extremist terrorists) that kills the President and most of Congress, a movement calling itself the "Sons of Jacob" launch a revolution and suspend the United States Constitution under the pretext of restoring order.

Taking advantage of electronic banking, they were quickly able to freeze the assets of all women and other "undesirables" in the country, stripping them of their rights. The new theocratic military dictatorship, styled "The Republic of Gilead", moved quickly to consolidate its power and reorganize society along a new militarized, hierarchical, compulsorily Christian regime of Old Testament-inspired social and religious orthodoxy among its newly created social classes. In this society, almost all women are forbidden to read.​

DynamicG

Aren't you stretching a tad to some how rationalize how even the basic suggestion of what he said is some how not completely insane? Why is it that these representatives now need 2 to 3 interviews and clarifications for what they originally say?

There is no content worth hearing in a sentence that displays that you haven't personally known any rape babies, but you'd like to be educated about them? What is that saying...?

edit:

Beaten.

Yeah it's kinda like Pro Wrestling logic where if the ref didn't see it, then it didn't happen. So if King doesn't know about it personally, it must not be true.

Drudge report ad led me to some website that claims:

Dreams from My Real Father makes the case that on August 4, 1961, Frank Marshall Davis became the father of the future 44th President of the United States and indoctrinated him with a Marxist ideology during his formative years.

It's a movie apparently. What. The. Fuck.

Edit: I see you all agree that's what he said. Can't believe I'm saying this but: great! I just didn't want to get excited over nothing if it ended up being out of context.

eznark

Banned
DrudgeReport...

What's this even mean, if true?

Been wondering this all morning. Maybe Biden is Trump's surprise!

No it isn't. That's what he said. Even with the added context of the question, it's what he said.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Measley

This just shows that Romney has absolutely NO control over the Republican party.

Just heard a female guest on South Carolina's NPR network that Obama's response regarding men getting involved in women's health care decisions is "laughable" because of the Obamacare contraception thing.

These people are just fucking idiots. Sorry, but they are. There's too much info out there to be THAT wilfully ignorant.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Just heard a female guest on South Carolina's NPR network that Obama's response regarding men getting involved in women's health care decisions is "laughable" because of the Obamacare contraception thing.

...and wasn't called out on it.

Liberal media.

Obama supports a woman's right to make her own healthcare decisions, unless she chooses to not buy health insurance.

Someone turn that into a pithy zinger for my bumper sticker business.
When she doesn't buy healthcare we *all* end up paying for it with increased premiums. And its probably at much higher cost because of a lack of preventative care.

Put that on your bumper sticker.

Unless you're just being sarcastic and my detector is broken.

When she doesn't buy healthcare we *all* end up paying for it with increased premiums. And its probably at much higher cost because of a lack of preventative care.

Put that on your bumper sticker.

It's a silly statement because it's more or less a tax in everything but name and, as the Supreme Court ruled, it is fully within the right of our elected officials to enact taxes. You're forced to buy healthcare in the same sense that you're forced to buy those F-22's.

Iuc1q.png

eznark

Banned
Brown leading by 5% and taking 20% of MA democrats is kind of astounding. Warren really should have stayed behind the curtain.

Chichikov

Brown leading by 5% and taking 20% of MA democrats is kind of astounding. Warren really should have stayed behind the curtain.
I might be able to strike "at least they tend to vote right" from the ever shrinking list of Boston area redeeming qualities.

About time.
Belichick is not going to be there forever; my hate needs fueling.

I've long wondered whether she was simply too professorial to appeal to enough voters there; she actually shakes hands, but when I watch her with voters I see similar tendencies that Coakley had.

It's time to nominate someone who identifies and appeals to MA, not just the college kids and activist types.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I've long wondered whether she was simply too professorial to appeal to enough voters there; she actually shakes hands, but when I watch her with voters I see similar tendencies that Coakley had.

It's time to nominate someone who identifies and appeals to MA, not just the college kids and activist types.

Who are they going to get? All the Kennedy's are in jail, publicly tainted or dead, as far as I know?

eznark

Banned

Boston is nothing but college kids and activists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom