• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Politifact just hit a new low. They fact checked the "Paul Ryan wants to end Medicare as we know it" claim and said:

I thought it was a joke until I saw the actual page. "Is the sky blue? Well, that seems more opinion than fact. See, color blind people don't see it as blue, so it's all subjective."

Fuck them.

ouch. That's game changing

Debates will clean that up. Romney cannot deftly handle all the impromptu mental gymnastics he is going to have to go through to make Obama's "cuts" look worse than his and Ryan's plans.

It's easy to keep touting that 700b number, but when he has to explain why his running mates budget, that he endorsed, kept them and opted for inflation tracking vouchers, he's fucked.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ah yes, we can't determine if a Bill that changes Medicare to a voucher system will end Medicare as we know it.

For fucks sake.

Someone please start a separate thread about this news.... this was a massive fuck up

Fox News just outed the name and identify of the chief in the elite Navy SEAL Team 6 who was one of the first men in the room where bin Laden died.

Bin Laden was revered by Muslim fundamentalists everywhere. Now, this hero and his family members will forever be targets of Muslim fundamentalists that wish to avenge Bin Laden's death

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-outs-navy-seal-163126050.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CYaezZQvjUAHXnQtDMD

So will that ops group criticize Fox News for leaking info?

TPM on Dems' Senate prospects since Akinocalypse - looking good.

Missouri should’ve been a relative gimme for Republicans. But for strategic purposes, Akin was enough of a liability before the legitimate rape fiasco that Republicans had to approach the map under the assumption that McCaskill would hold on. That’s not a friendly map.

To net four seats, not including Missouri, Republicans would have to win four of the seven most-at-risk seats held by vulnerable or retiring Democrats — Jim Tester’s seat in Montana, Sherrod Brown’s seat in Ohio, Bill Nelson’s seat in Florida, and seats being vacated by Nebraska’s Ben Nelson, North Dakota’s Kent Conrad, Virginia’s Jim Webb, and Wisconsin’s Herb Kohl — without losing a single one of their own vulnerable seats — particularly those held by Scott Brown in Massachusetts and Dean Heller in Nevada and those being vacated by Olympia Snowe in Maine, Jon Kyl in Arizona, and Dick Lugar, who lost his primary, in Indiana.

Currently independent Angus King — who’s many expect to caucus with Democrats — is favored to win in Maine. If his lead holds, Republicans will have to flip five seats.

Doing that without Missouri will be difficult. Democrats currently lead in polls of Montana, Ohio, Florida, North Dakota and Virginia. If their leads hold in Nebraska and Wisconsin, they still have to flip three races.
If Democrats get off with only losing one seat (-NE/WI, +ME), that's still better than what anyone could realistically expect two years ago. And it's still possible for them to gain, although not by much.

It just depends on if this election turns into a wave on either side, or if it's relatively mundane like 1996 or 2004.

I just heard hannity claim Obama's campaign is the dirtiest and sleaziest in American history while changing channels.

Poor dude looked like he head was gonna pop off. lol

I just heard hannity claim Obama's campaign is the dirtiest and sleaziest in American history while changing channels.

If Obama wins I hope he goes on Letterman and jokes about that, saying something like "I guess they've spent so much time wondering where I was born that they forgot I'm from Chicago."

I'd love to the see the psychology of how one deludes themselves into believing such bullshit.

Because this shit both fascinates me and terrifies me at the same time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If Obama wins I hope he goes on Letterman and jokes about that, saying something like "I guess they've spent so much time wondering where I was born that they forgot I'm from Chicago."

If he wins he should have someone play "Sweet Home Chicago" at his inauguration.

I'd love to the see the psychology of how one deludes themselves into believing such bullshit.

Because this shit both fascinates me and terrifies me at the same time.

It's not delusion. It's pandering to your base for money. He's calculated and probably scoffs at half the shit he says in private.

ToxicAdam

One of the TV's was on Fox while I was doing cardio. They had a chyron with "The End of Civility" and a picture of Obama. The whole time Hannity was shouting and pointing fingers at some poor black fellow he was talking to. It was hilariously ironic.

RDreamer

You guys see that now Romney doesn't want to release his taxes, because he believes the amount he gives to the Mormon church is personal between him and their God and their church. So, even though he's been interviewing and saying they give 10% and also adding that percentage to their tax rate to assure people they pay a lot, that's personal. Just between them and God. And you. But only if you think his tax rate's too low. I dunno, it's all just very confusing.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
A new Rasmussen Poll has Akin down by 10 points.

This was hilariously tpm-self-back-patted several pages back.

And mostly disregarded as far as I can tell, with the popular conspiracy/retort being, "oh now you trust them," to something far more intellectually insulting, "they're trying to force Akin out with those bad numbers." Embarrassing for PoliGAF to let that stupidity slip past, honestly.

More likely, if Rasmussen says he's down 10, he's probably down 15.

Mittens finally released his energy plan.

So basically, Drill Baby Drill Part Deux.

I like the part about nuclear, but I doubt that goes over well.
Well . . .

Mr. Romney set out several main goals for this plan:

It would cut federal permitting hurdles, contending that shift would vastly boost US oil and gas exploration both onshore and off. Nuclear energy would get fast-tracked reactor designs.
During the Obama administration:
-Oil production increased at the fastest rate in 30+ years
-Natural gas production increased so much that the price of natural gas cratered from $10 down to $2 per MCF.
-The first two nuclear plant licenses in the last 30 years were granted.

They like to paint Obama as some anti-conventional energy guy but he just isn't. Most of the stuff Romney is yammering about is illusory. Other than ANWR, there isn't much federal land that the oil companies are interested in. They'd love to drill off the Coast of California but California is not going to allow that. There is not much interest in drilling off the Atlantic coast. But assuming it goes ahead, it is not going to change things much.

Romney has pledge to eliminate a lot of the tax-credits for green energy. Uh . . . shouldn't Grover Norquist be screaming bloody-murder about this? Those are tax hikes! Heresy! Romney is pledging to raise taxes!

"Big business is doing fine in many places," Romney said. "They get the loans they need. They can deal with all the regulation.

"They know how to find ways to get through the tax code, save money by putting various things in places where there are low tax havens around the world for their businesses."

On the same day Bain's audit revealed Bain set up blockers around the world.

If only we had a real media.

Medicare isn't being changed - how people pay for it is. I think it's time dems moved away from the "as we know it" jargon and simply call it what it is: a voucher. They are changing the way people pay for Medicare services. That's not as appealing as the "as we know it" line but imo dems should be more specific on this.

Everyone understands what a voucher is. The facts haven't changed since Obama's mini debate with Ryan at the republican retreat two years ago: you get a specific amount of money that does not scale with health care costs - so while the amount you receive from Medicare remains stable, health care costs continue to surpass. Meanwhile the GOP plan does nothing to address health care costs, and if they cut pre-condition coverage you're screwed. Hell, even if they don't cut pre-condition coverage you're still screwed as costs increase due to the lack of a mandate (or public option).

No, no, no, no, no. This is absolutely wrong. Medicare is a government-run insurance program. It has infrastructure and administration. Paul Ryan's plan literally eliminates it. The "as we know it" jargon is bullshit, because it is entirely too generous. Paul Ryan's proposal doesn't end Medicare "as we know it." It ends Medicare.

I can't believe even Democrats get brainwashed by Republican bullshit. Wake the fuck up, man, and use your brain.

No, no, no, no, no. This is absolutely wrong. Medicare is a government-run insurance program. It has infrastructure and administration. Paul Ryan's plan literally eliminates it. The "as we know it" jargon is bullshit, because it is entirely too generous. Paul Ryan's proposal doesn't end Medicare "as we know it." It ends Medicare.

I can't believe even Democrats get brainwashed by Republican bullshit. Wake the fuck up, man, and use your brain.
Means i get more money in my paycheck though.

ToxicAdam

biden.jpg

Way to go, Joe.

http://www.jeffjacoby.com/12169/stingy-liberals

But the program it's replaced by is also called Medicare, so it's totally the same.

Wasn't Biden also the poorest member of Congress? I can't blame him for not being too charitable with his money.

Piecake

But the program it's replaced by is also called Medicare, so it's totally the same.

Wasn't Biden also the poorest member of Congress? I can't blame him for not being too charitable with his money.

200k+ AGI definitely aint poor. Thats a MIGHTY comfortable living, so yea, he can defintiely be called out on that

Chichikov

This whole charity discussion is silly anyway.
No one vote based on crap, but we play that games for fucking ever, keeping score like it matter.

And really, I don't get how people hate on Biden.
Biden's awesome.

The guy makes a million dollars every five years since 1998. "Poor" Joe Biden.

The circle will be complete in like 30 years when some young black clean & articulate republican picks Scott Brown as his VP, and he keeps talking about being a man of the earth who drives to work in his truck everyday

Sounds like Cory Booker's going to take the plunge on challenging Christie in 2013.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/24/1123610/-Governor-Cory-Booker

Huffington Post said:
Booker has reportedly been taking meetings with party chairs in the weeks ahead of the Democratic National Convention, which begins on September 3 in Charlotte, N.C. During these meetings, Booker and adviser Mark Matzen have expressed interest in challenging Gov. Chris Christie (R) next year.

I made three (nearly four) times less than him and donated about three times as much until 2007.

lols. Even I gave more to charity than Joe, a lot of those years. In real dollars.
Exactly.

Of course, I don't really care. It's odd that Joe Biden hasn't found a charity worth donating to in all his years, but it really doesn't make me like or dislike the guy more or less in any reasonable fashion. It's just interesting to see.

... making over 200k at his lowest. Come on, man. No need to carry water for him on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom