• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

bleehhhhh.

RNC or whatever will just put together one with democractic women saying the exact same thing.

They already did. Not democratic women, but democrats. It's been running for a long time here in Wisconsin. It's a bunch of people talking about how they voted for Obama, but he sucks and now they feel bad, etc.

markatisu

They already did. Not democratic women, but democrats. It's been running for a long time here in Wisconsin. It's a bunch of people talking about how they voted for Obama, but he sucks and now they feel bad, etc.

We get that one too and I just have to roll my eyes. The assumption they are trying to pass off that he can just pass any law is absurd.

I just do not get the GOP messaging, they are all over the place

Diablos

How are you supposed to account for something that has no real statistical effect, you can't just assume a certain % will be disenfranchised
You can start asking voters in and outside of Philly and other Democratic strongholds in the state:

a. If they have proper ID;
b. If not, are they aware of, able to, and have planned on ensuring they will be able to vote by the 7th, and
c. Who they are supporting/would have supported if they could have voted as usual pre-ID law.

they could also just ask them a., tbh.

Diablos

We get that one too and I just have to roll my eyes. The assumption they are trying to pass off that he can just pass any law is absurd.

I just do not get the GOP messaging, they are all over the place
The paranoid far-right machine did lots of damage up to 2010 and even 2011, and scared the shit out of a lot of people. Now all that's left to do is appeal to those swing voters who are too lazy to make a decision until a few days before the election. Nothing left to capitalize on really.

Plenty of people here in western PA believe 110% that Obama isn't an American. The damage has already been done there, those people aren't going to change their minds.

Also had a small conversation about political hosts. Didn't get into actual politics, just talked about the hosts. My dad greatly dislikes Maddow. He says she lies. He hates Schultz for his crap during the Walker thing. I told him I also dislike Schultz. He can't understand why Chris Matthews is now left wing, since he used to be so far to the right. He still loves Glenn Beck, though he did admit he went a little crazy with end of the world stuff, but apparently he understands why he went in that directions because apparently he's got some sort of eye thing that could kill him (I have no idea what he's talking about there, because I do not follow Beck).

So Glenn Beck goes crazy with end of the world stuff . . . but it is Maddow that lies.

Go Figure.

Diablos

This is why I hope Obama continues to maintain a lead in OH and VA, because if it's close in PA the voter ID law could really fuck things up. Our GOP state legislature is filled with a bunch of sissies (naturally), too, so if Obama squeaked in a win even, I wouldn't put it past them to contest his win there based on some bullshit in the law that doesn't make sense in reality.

I worry that other state GOP legislatures across the nation would attempt this kind of thing too.

Jackson50

I encourage Huckabee and his coterie of fundamentalist activists to buck the GOP establishment. The exceptions favored by more "moderate" conservatives are an insidious attempt to abridge reproductive rights. It's an argument I'm willing to engage.
Many of them will already be splitting their ticket for Gov. Jay Nixon - don't see why they couldn't do the same for McCaskill, even if she is closer to Obama than Nixon is.
Right. I'm having difficulty envisaging a Democratic voter splitting for Akin. Obviously, there will be a nominal few. But the problem is apparent for Republicans.
Is this also considering the influence of the Voter I.D?

anyway, Patton Oswalt wrote a piece about the upcoming elections.

http://90days90reasons.com/17.php
Mildly funny. A demerit's warranted though for his misuse of corporatism.

This is why I hope Obama continues to maintain a lead in OH and VA, because if it's close in PA the voter ID law could really fuck things up. Our GOP state legislature is filled with a bunch of sissies (naturally), too, so if Obama squeaked in a win even, I wouldn't put it past them to contest his win there based on some bullshit in the law that doesn't make sense in reality.

I worry that other state GOP legislatures across the nation would attempt this kind of thing too.

Ha. If Obama wins a 2004 squeaker best believe republicans will attempt to re-litigate it and hurl charges of voter fraud for years.

If Obama can secure Ohio and Virginia he's pretty much golden. I'm curious to see some more NC polls, especially a few weeks after the DNC

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ask a question about the forms of ID they have, based on what is required by the new law.

nah, it's not that simple. I'm sure someone will do a proper study on disenfranchised voters in PA, but it takes time and money. I read a study that was done in Indiana, I believe, and
even then it was a challenge identifying the appropriate population and sample size. The list of exemptions and caveats at the end of the study was insane. Enough that opponents of that type of study can just pretend its too flawed to be valid.

I wonder if Voter ID will be one of those things that comes back to bite Republicans in the ass. "Hey, remember when they passed those laws that created a database that made it easier to implement Internet voting and now young people actually vote and old people's fears and selfishness became irrelevant? Good times."

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The left's response to Rasmussen has been fascinating. Kos purposely removed Ras tracking numbers when he discusses the Obama/Romney race on a national level, but takes them into account when they are providing a story for Obama on state levels. Same with the response to that 10 point McCaskil lead; granted that has been confirmed by another pollster.

Personally I don't believe Obama is within 5 points in Missouri. Akin would have to be THE dominating issue there for him to win, same with Ryan's budget (lots of old people in MO).

PD, what you're observing isn't some new acceptance of an otherwise rejected pollster, it's the "holy shit, Romney's in trouble if even Ras. has him in trouble." It's like when someone who unreasonably thinks Romney is going to beat Obama for three years suddenly starts having doubts. Maybe it's a signal that, even though all the other trolling they do should still be disregarded, something is definitely not working.

I wonder if Voter ID will be one of those things that comes back to bite Republicans in the ass. "Hey, remember when they passed those laws that created a database that made it easier to implement Internet voting and now young people actually vote and old people's fears and selfishness became irrelevant? Good times."

That'd be glorious.

It is possible. I think they are already regretting making gay marriage one of their big issues. That is starting to backfire on them and will get worse over time.

RDreamer

Could you imagine if internet and text message voting were implemented for elections? On one hand yeah the youth would actually vote, but on the other I feel as a whole we'd be even more susceptible to awful marketing techniques. It would be interesting to see what would happen to the political climate.

It's certainly going to cause fewer older people to vote; a bunch of PA senior citizens won't be eligible to vote this year due to the law.

It'll be easier to get young people and minorities up to speed on the changes than old people imo. the question is whether the hassle will convince them not to bother

Btw, Obama making a joke about the dog on roof isn't equivalent to Mitt's birther comment since it doesn't pander to bigots. The equivalent would be something like this:

Obama: "I just love being in the great state of North Carolina with my family. And of course no one here has had to question whether I just have ONE wife."

Btw, Obama making a joke about the dog on roof isn't equivalent to Mitt's birther comment since it doesn't pander to bigots. The equivalent would be something like this:

Obama: "I just love being in the great state of North Carolina with my family. And of course no one here has had to question whether I just have ONE wife."
Of course he has more than one wife . . . he's Muslim.

MightyKAC

So, I pulled up to my parents' house today and...

...yeah

It's funny, I was born and raised in Milwaukee Wisconsin as well. It's so sad to see Wisconsin as a whole being as divided as it is .There's such a depth of diversity in there and yet still it seems like we do everything we can keep ourselves separated from each other. It's sort of a microcosm of what the problem with the US. So many people, so many different backgrounds and so many different ideas with so little will it seems to come together and do what it is that made America great in the first place.

After 24 years of that I said fuck it, joined the Navy ended up in Japan.

Jackson50

Has any other country implemented a good online Presidential/Party voting election?
Estonia implemented the first attempt at internet voting in its 2007 parliamentary elections. Understandably, they encountered complications. But it was largely devoid of fraud. Although, the practice did not engender greater participation on the whole nor from marginalized groups. But it would be premature to infer it's failure given the infancy of the program. It's not unusual for a new program to produce aberrant results upon its inception. Norway also experimented with internet voting in its 2011 municipal elections. Again, they encountered technical difficulties. But they did not compromise the integrity of the ballots. And the DoD evaluated internet voting for servicemembers. The SERVE was analyzed by the Federal Voting Assistance Program, but it proved unfeasible.

Internet voting possesses potential, but it's not been sufficiently tested to implement on a broad scale.
Ha. If Obama wins a 2004 squeaker best believe republicans will attempt to re-litigate it and hurl charges of voter fraud for years.

If Obama can secure Ohio and Virginia he's pretty much golden. I'm curious to see some more NC polls, especially a few weeks after the DNC
Permit them to re-litigate and grouse. The mellifluous furor over Obama's second term will stay me.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So, I pulled up to my parents' house today and...

...yeah

Welp, seems like the only honorable thing to do is to cut off all ties with your dad (and possibly mom) permanently.

It's not as hard as it seems. Heck, I did it!

TAMPA -- The events planned for the Republican National Convention on Monday will be postponed due to severe weather predictions near the conference's host city, Republican officials said Saturday.

"The Republican National Convention will convene on Monday August 27th and immediately recess until Tuesday afternoon, August 28th," said Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus in a statement Saturday. "After consulting with Governor Scott, NOAA and local emergency management officials, we are optimistic that we will begin an exciting, robust convention that will nominate the Romney-Ryan ticket."

Tropical Storm Isaac is expected to reach the Florida mainland early next week.
The RNC plans to submit a revised schedule Sunday, Priebus wrote in a memo to convention attendees.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...ion-events-postponed-due-storm-225532084.html

Where's Pat Robertson when you need him?

Oblivion

To be honest I didn't know this either until guys in PoliGaf informed me before the '08 election. And I'm 28 years old!

Hey, we're almost exactly in the same boat (though I'm gonna be 28 in October). But the point wasn't to gloat about how much smarter we dirty commies are, it's that the guy was reasonable enough that he was open about not knowing how a prog. income tax worked without snidely making any references to the Communist Manifesto.

strobogo

Banned
Everyone should hate Ed Schultz. He is, unquestionably, the worst political pundit on cable television in America. Worse than the entirety of Fox News. He makes even the worst Fox person look non-biased and totally professional.

If there is one thing the left and right should agree on, it should be getting Ed Schultz off of any media he gets his face on.

tranciful

Everyone should hate Ed Schultz. He is, unquestionably, the worst political pundit on cable television in America. Worse than the entirety of Fox News. He makes even the worst Fox person look non-biased and totally professional.

If there is one thing the left and right should agree on, it should be getting Ed Schultz off of any media he gets his face on.

I don't watch MSNBC -- got a recent clip to bring your point home?

Raine

I've watched his show before and I don't see how you came to this conclusion. Care to elaborate?

RDreamer

Welp, seems like the only honorable thing to do is to cut off all ties with your dad (and possibly mom) permanently.

It's not as hard as it seems. Heck, I did it!

Nah, outside of politics they're wonderful, caring people. My wife and I owe a ton to them for the help they've given us over the years, even when they disagreed with what we were doing. They didn't really want me to move in with my wife before we were married, but they were there on day one helping us move in and helping us plan everything. They've let us borrow their cars and helped with fixing them quite a bit, too. Pretty much anything we could ask for or need they'd do for us. Right now I'm borrowing their other truck until February so I can get to my internship, since we only own one car.

I don't hate Ed Schultz. I just think he's a doofus. Not much reason to hate him . . . he means well. And I appreciate that he clicks with some of the gun-toting mid-west people. But he is not the sharpest pundit out there.

Oblivion

Nah, outside of politics they're wonderful, caring people. My wife and I owe a ton to them for the help they've given us over the years, even when they disagreed with what we were doing. They didn't really want me to move in with my wife before we were married, but they were there on day one helping us move in and helping us plan everything. They've let us borrow their cars and helped with fixing them quite a bit, too. Pretty much anything we could ask for or need they'd do for us. Right now I'm borrowing their other truck until February so I can get to my internship, since we only own one car.

I was (slightly) joking about that. :p

Though it is true that I cut off all ties with my dad, but that had nothing to do with politics.

Oblivion

I'm no fan of Ed, as I've said many times, but how did you arrive at this conclusion?

Oblivion

Jennifer Granholm said:
Yes, Mitt, we all know you were born in Michigan. What we don't understand is why you knifed us in the back when Michigan was on its knees

Snap.

Schultz is a piece of shit, and he's very stupid. Worse yet, he's not good or effective at what he does. Say what you will about O'Reilly/Hannity/etc, they're great at what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom