• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Yeah, this is gonna be an ugly election.

They seem to have decided that they only way they can win is with a massive % of the white vote because they can't get minorities. It is probably not going to work. And as the TRMS pointed out, this is probably the last time anyone tries this strategy because the demographics just won't make it a viable option in the future.
Assuming an Obama victory, there's going to be one hell of a post-election period of introspection for the Republican Party. They're going to have to face-up to these new demographic realities, and we'll get to watch an incredible struggle when the different intra-party factions begin to air their disagreements over how to adjust strategies/policies/etc.

Or, they can dig-in, continue their denial ("we weren't conservative enough!"), and lose some more.

Assuming an Obama victory, there's going to be one hell of a post-election period of introspection for the Republican Party. They're going to have to face-up to these new demographic realities, and we'll get to watch an incredible struggle when the different intra-party factions begin to air their disagreements over how to adjust strategies/policies/etc.

Or, they can dig-in, continue their denial ("we weren't conservative enough!"), and lose some more.
They have to come to the realization at some point that they have to govern more than just Republicans.

Tim-E

There will be some voices within the party trying to moderate things a bit, but we know the concensus will just be this.

eznark

Banned

If Obama wins but they hold on to the House and gain senate seats (likeliest scenario imo) then there will be no introspection.

codhand

If Obama wins but they hold on to the House and gain senate seats (likeliest scenario imo) then there will be no introspection.

Racism will end, Blue Meanies will sprout flowers from their noses, Holo-Reagan will endorse hands-across-americia, the 1% will donate only to GetWell approved charities and Kosmo will admit defeat.

Dude Abides

Banned
I'm honestly wondering if they'll continue to get crazier. They may very well try.
Watching how they accomplish this would be very entertaining.. and a bit scary.

They probably will. They think Romney's a moderate. If he loses, it's because they didn't present a clear alternative. A choice, not an echo.

In Hawaii, D'Souza asserts with no evidence, Obama sympathized with native Hawaiians who felt they had been marginalized by the American government when Hawaii was becoming a state. D'Souza also asserts — again with no evidence — that Obama had been coached to hold those views at Punahou, the prestigious prep school he attended in Honolulu.

The horror.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

We won't this type of introspection until Texas becomes a blue state.

codhand

Preview of tonight's event:
12369_1332534197z3a1i.gif

Tim-E

Conservatives and their talking points have been the media focus all month and it doesn't really seem like it's done them any favors whatsoever, I'm not expecting a huge bump (especially nothing that sticks) from this convention.

So are they admitting defeat then? They thought they could change the game with a conservative circle jerk for a whole entire week a while ago.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ras is setting up for next week to have Romney up 5 or something so he can be like "Wow, look at that convention bump guys!" and every other pollster will adjust their model to show Romney leading, because you can't look biased!

PPP has Obama up 6 on Romney, 50-44... but this is also an RV poll, so take that how you will. Democrats have an 8-point lead on the generic ballot as well, 50-42.

Yeah, this is gonna be an ugly election.

They seem to have decided that they only way they can win is with a massive % of the white vote because they can't get minorities. It is probably not going to work. And as the TRMS pointed out, this is probably the last time anyone tries this strategy because the demographics just won't make it a viable option in the future.

Did you see the New York Mag article? They're firing up one last time the fear of others in their white base.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/08/2012-or-never-for-gops-white-base.html

gcubed

Wilsongt

Republicans, king of the Trolls. Kings of the False equivalencies.

Haley Barbour on Obama: ‘He’s a one percenter’

TAMPA -- Former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour was holding court at a private party before the Republican National Committee Sunday, where he called President Barack Obama "a one percenter," and urged a group of conservative bloggers to rally behind Mitt Romney even though he's "not perfect."

"We've got two guys running for president, by the way, who are both very rich. Each one of them is in the top one percent in the United States." Barbour said during an event for the National Bloggers Club in Tampa. "Both of them are one percenters. And in fairness, both of them made their own money. Romney made his by winning the confidence of people who invested their money. …Obama made his money writing two books about himself. He's a one percenter!...Which one do you figure is going to do a better job of getting our economy going in the right direction?"

Indeed, both men are in the "top one percent" of income earners, although Romney's net worth is about 20 times greater than Obama's. Romney and Obama are worth around $200 million and $12million, respectively.

Yep. Because $12mil = $200mil.

I mean, as a lowly earner of < $21K a year, I'd love to have a tenth of what they earn, and they are both the 1 percent, but who would you want to trust with the way they earned their money: Someone who became president and wrote a book about themselves, or someone who may or may not be hiding their money away to avoid paying taxes on it?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Haley Barbour on Obama: &#8216;He&#8217;s a one percenter&#8217;

I mean, as a lowly earner of < $21K a year, I'd love to have a tenth of what they earn, and they are both the 1 percent, but who would you want to trust with the way they earned their money: Someone who became president and wrote a book about themselves, or someone who may or may not be hiding their money away to avoid paying taxes on it?

Um, one of them wrote a book about his incredibly interesting life. The other one could have written a book about how rich he got by inheriting wealth, outsourcing jobs and dismantling companies. ANd that estimate of Romney's wealth is on the low end. I guess he could have added a chapter about dressage.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Haley Barbour on Obama: ‘He’s a one percenter’

its funny, because getting rich from writing a book is about as free-market, capitalistic American as it gets. You write the book. People buy the book. You make money in direct proportion to the number of people who thought your book was worth reading.

gcubed

Um, one of them wrote a book about his incredibly interesting life. The other one could have written a book about how rich he got by inheriting wealth, outsourcing jobs and dismantling companies. ANd that estimate of Romney's wealth is on the low end. I guess he could have added a chapter about dressage.

by the time his father died he had more then enough money, he didnt inherit his wealth, he just had a privileged upbringing

AniHawk

its funny, because getting rich from writing a book is about as free-market, capitalistic American as it gets. You write the book. People buy the book. You make money in direct proportion to the number of people who thought your book was worth reading.

yeah but have you seen the color of his skin lately?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
by the time his father died he had more then enough money, he didnt inherit his wealth, he just had a privileged upbringing

He inherited a great education, great connections and network, great community, lots of resources, and I am sure his parents paid for tons of shit. "Just" having a privileged upbringing counts for a whole lot.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Hey I assumed he was somewhere up in beer country too. But now that I think about it, he's like every conservative I've ever met from Indiana.

gcubed

He inherited a great education, great connections and network, great community, lots of resources, and I am sure his parents paid for tons of shit. "Just" having a privileged upbringing counts for a whole lot.

i wasn't trying to discount it, but he didn't inherit a large some of money from his dad, Romney was already rich by then. He did inherit the benefits of living in a rich family.

My outrage meter must be malfunctioning today, what made this video noteworthy?

libel

Her faux outrage over Akin redefining rape disappears when she's told Ryan did the same thing, at which point she agrees sure there can be levels of rape. It's one of the most hilarious examples of shiftless politicians. Romney would be proud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom