• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-E

I know the party basically hid Ron Paul's delegates as far away from the stage as possible, but I really hope they cause some sort of fuss this week.

Also, Maddow last night was comparing how Huckabee's actions last week in damning the party for not backing up Akin were similar to Goldwater condemning Nixon in 1960 at the RNC for going against the backbone of the party. It would be hilarious to see Huckabee condemn the party for not being conservative enough in his speech.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I know the party basically hid Ron Paul's delegates as far away from the stage as possible, but I really hope they cause some sort of fuss this week.

Also, Maddow last night was comparing how Huckabee's actions last week in damning the party for not backing up Akin were similar to Goldwater condemning Nixon in 1960 at the RNC for going against the backbone of the party. It would be hilarious to see Huckabee condemn the party for not being conservative enough in his speech.

I think she was using Goldwater as a framework for explaining what happens when a party has serious, fundamental fractures within its coalition of powers, and when one coalition (in this case, moderates) gain or exercise too much power within that party -- and then fail -- it gives a chance for the other coalition to prove itself in the coming election.

She suggested he could be setting himself up for a 2016 candidacy, which would be awesome for America if you ask me. I really think the U.S. needs to hash this out for the sake of its own sanity, and if that means Jeb vs. Huck going to the slaughterhouse that is the generic Obama acolyte, so be it.

eznark

Banned
Who is excited for Scott Walker tonight?

Maybe Maddow was discussing the 1960 election to show how easy it is for a Chicago mob connected politician to steal an election?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Might as well ask while can't an alcoholic just stop drinking or a cancer patient can't just get rid of cancer. It's a disease -- and that man is really sick. Does it mean he's lazy or slothful or lacks self control? I dunno, probably.

I think I see his point, he has the resources to not only go to a dietician, but get whatever food he wants. I agree that obesity is caused in part by the availability of cheap shitty food.

Part of it is anecdotal, I got my mom to switch from Mountain Dew, to Raspberry Tea (Home made). With no other changes she is losing weight weekly.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Maybe Maddow was discussing the 1960 election to show how easy it is for a Chicago mob connected politician to steal an election?

Yeah that's definitely it.

On another note, has anybody noticed the main speakers of this convention look less like the best possible defenders/advocates of Mitt Romney but more like a collection of the previously mentioned factions as each auditions to run for 2016?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Republican_National_Convention#Speakers

Bob McDonnell
Scott Walker
Nikki Haley
Chris Christie
Mike Huckabee
Paul Ryan
Jeb Bush
Marco Rubio

eznark

Banned
I think the odds are pretty good that Christie pulls a Clinton-in-88 and just talks about himself for 40 minutes and completely ignores Romney and this election altogether.

Tim-E

I think the odds are pretty good that Christie pulls a Clinton-in-88 and just talks about himself for 40 minutes and completely ignores Romney and this election altogether.

Probably a good guess.

Speaking of auditioning for 2016, who do you guys think will be doing that at the DNC? Their list of speakers:

Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin
Newark Mayor Cory Booker
Former President Jimmy Carter (via video)
San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, who will be the first Latino keynote speaker at a Democratic National Convention
Former President Bill Clinton
Former Republican Governor of Florida Charlie Crist
Former Assistant Secretary, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Tammy Duckworth
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel
Georgetown Law School Graduate Sandra Fluke
Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx
Former Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm
California Attorney General Kamala D. Harris
Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper
Montana State Superintendent of Public Instruction Denise Juneau
Former Virginia Governor Tim Kaine
Lieutenant General Claudia Kennedy (ret.)
Congresswoman Barbara Lee of California
CarMax co-founder and former CEO Austin Ligon
President of NARAL Pro-Choice America Nancy Keenan
Caroline Kennedy
Women’s rights activist Lilly Ledbetter
Obama Campaign Co-Chair Eva Longoria
U.S. Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts
Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy
Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter
U.S. Senator Barbara Mikulski of Maryland, together with the women of the U.S. Senate
Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick
President of Planned Parenthood Action Fund Cecile Richards
Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak
Journalist Cristina Saralegui
Costco co-founder and former CEO Jim Sinegal
Former Ohio Governor Ted Strickland
Los Angeles Mayor, Democratic Convention Chair Antonio Villaraigosa
Senate candidate from Massachusetts Elizabeth Warren

My guesses are Booker, Castro, Emanuel, and O'Malley. Outside of the super well-known people, I'm not very familiar with a lot of the governors speaking. It's kind of strange that most of the people in the future democrat presidential talks are mayors. Are there any democratic congressmen that would potentially be in the conversation? If there were, I'd imagine they'd be speaking.

Yes, I am back. Just in time!

And we have a mystery convention speaker! Bets?

Republican convention planners appear to have a surprise planned for those tuning in Thursday night, the Wall Street Journal reports.

"Buried deep in the convention schedule released Monday is a vague reference to a mystery speaker scheduled for the event's final evening. 'To Be Announced' has a prime speaking slot late in the Thursday program."

Which high profile 2008 Obama backer this will be?

My read on the race:
From an EC perspective, Obama still is ahead. Although, Florida has tightened up more. I think Obama camp made a mistake by not going after Medicare hard the week of Ryan's announcement itself. They did it effectively and preemptively on Romney's Bain record but not for Medicare. We see that reflected in polls, Obama doesn't have that big of an edge and in some cases no edge at all on who will save Medicare. But there is still a lot of time left here, so we will see.

From a national polls perspective, race is a dead heat.

The fear that Obama campaign has to have is Romney pulling away 2-3 after the convention, if he is able to pass that empathy/likability threshold. Contrary to belief here on GAF, I think it is Romney who can pull away from Obama in the race and not vice versa.

For Romney, if the convention produces no visible bounce and the race is where it was this week, 2-3 weeks later, it will be very worrying.

eznark

Banned
This is the first time probably since 92 that I am actually interested in the conventions so I really, really hope they don't do that. Not one of the people slated to speak at either convention can hold an audience for more than 20 minutes save Obama. I actually think having to cancel yesterday might ultimately make this a more watchable convention in that they're trying to cram more into it which means they are trying to stick to a strict schedule.

On another note, supposedly MSNBC reached out and apologized to Preibus immediately following the Matthews exchange.

Yeah that's definitely it.

On another note, has anybody noticed the main speakers of this convention look less like the best possible defenders/advocates of Mitt Romney but more like a collection of the previously mentioned factions as each auditions to run for 2016?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Republican_National_Convention#Speakers

Bob McDonnell
Scott Walker
Nikki Haley
Chris Christie
Mike Huckabee
Paul Ryan
Jeb Bush
Marco Rubio
nikki aint winning shit

Tim-E

Yes, I am back. Just in time!

And we have a mystery convention speaker! Bets?

Which high profile 2008 Obama backer this will be?

My read on the race:
From an EC perspective, Obama still is ahead. Although, Florida has tightened up more. I think Obama camp made a mistake by not going after Medicare hard the week of Ryan's announcement itself. They did it effectively and preemptively on Romney's Bain record but not for Medicare. We see that reflected in polls, Obama doesn't have that big of an edge and in some cases no edge at all on who will save Medicare. But there is still a lot of time left here, so we will see.

From a national polls perspective, race is a dead heat.

The fear that Obama campaign has to have is Romney pulling away 2-3 after the convention, if he is able to pass that empathy/likability threshold. Contrary to belief here on GAF, I think it is Romney who can pull away from Obama in the race and not vice versa.

For Romney, if the convention produces no visible bounce and the race is where it was this week, 2-3 weeks later, it will be very worrying.

I said it yesterday, but I think Obama has stayed quiet this month because it's hard to fight against a VP pick and convention in terms of coverage, so he's just letting their "bumps" play out and focus his attention on getting back into it in September when the big distractions are out of the way and he can grab headlines easier.

ToxicAdam

Might as well ask while can't an alcoholic just stop drinking or a cancer patient can't just get rid of cancer. It's a disease -- and that man is really sick. Does it mean he's lazy or slothful or lacks self control? I dunno, probably.

Not sure about that cancer analogy, but the alcoholic one makes sense. It's just that normally, when people achieve a modicum of success/money they begin to think long term about their health or body image. Especially in a field where you are so visible in the public eye.

It's just very unusual for someone to be as successful as Christie is and be that large.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This is the first time probably since 92 that I am actually interested in the conventions so I really, really hope they don't do that. Not one of the people slated to speak at either convention can hold an audience for more than 20 minutes save Obama. I actually think having to cancel yesterday might ultimately make this a more watchable convention in that they're trying to cram more into it which means they are trying to stick to a strict schedule.

On another note, supposedly MSNBC reached out and apologized to Preibus immediately following the Matthews exchange.

Basically agreed on the idea that a delay might make for a better product.

Regarding "MSNBC" apologizing (rather than MJ producers), I'm guessing he wouldn't have come on if he knew he was opposite Matthews. The idea that they're apologizing suggests that it was supposed be some softball and meaningless panel, which makes me think less of both of them. Matthews was right and Preibus looked absolutely limp in the face of the obvious. And apologizing to Preibus, "sorry our dog bit you," furthers how bad it looks for him.

Did any of you see his face at the end of that barrage? Dude was about to cry. Sorry that he hurt your feelings Prince.

eznark

Banned
Not sure about that cancer analogy, but the alcoholic one makes sense. It's just that normally, when people achieve a modicum of success/money they begin to think long term about their health or body image. Especially in a field where you are so visible in the public eye.

It's just very unusual for someone to be as successful as Christie is and be that large.

Every professional football coach

Miletius

So this morning I'm watching a seminar called "We Built It" - Small Businesses and Civil Society Built America, part of Newt University. Work related, so I can't turn it off.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Yeah. Mentioning cancer was on my part an effort to make the disease allusion more clear. I've never been completely comfortable with saying it's as uncontrollable as cancer, though.

To your second point, no doubt. Who was the last genuinely, morbidly obese successful politician/celebrity? He's bigger than Roseanne and John Goodman were at the height of her show. I'm sure there are a number of executives that are up there on the scales, but I can't believe there are many that are public-facing. The question for me is one I'm uncomfortable asking, but I do wonder which chicken/egg came first -- do we see very few (relative to the population) obese people in public positions of power because it's a character flaw that directly correlates to hard work, or is it something closer to discrimination? Makes me nauseous to suggest either, honestly.

Being a governor is quite a stressful job, and involves lots of moving around. The fact that he has gained weight since 2010 tells me he has a major diet problem among other things. At that weight, he could probably lost a lot of weight simply by changing his diet; his job could burn enough fat to make him look like a more regular fat person.

Voters won't tolerate that on a national level

eznark

Banned
Every professional football coach is as successful as Chris Christie, who has been seriously floated as a possible presidential candidate?

TA did not specify career in his last sentence.

I can't really think of any truly fat politicians with national ambitions. Kennedy is the only one that comes to mind but he was still only about half as fat as Christie.

Good example, but they are more akin to salesmen where they are a victim of the shitty hours/travel schedule.
I think it is more the sitting in the film room eating pizza until 5 am. Lack of sleep + convenience food = tuboshit. Same with computer programmers or drafting engineers. Only careers I can think of really. Well, trucker and traveling salesmen.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Good example, but they are more akin to salesmen where they are a victim of the shitty hours/travel schedule.

Even then there really aren't that many that are genuinely obese. Andy Reed comes to mind.

TA did not specify career in his last sentence.

I can't really think of any truly fat politicians with national ambitions. Kennedy is the only one that comes to mind but he was still only about half as fat as Christie.

Well he did say "as successful." So you're probably right.

eznark

Banned
Even then there really aren't that many that are genuinely obese. Andy Reed comes to mind.

Well he did say "as successful." So you're probably right.

I think you're really making a mountain out of an extremely large hill here. Christie isn't some uber successful politician, he's been elected Governor once. He hasn't even had to face a reelection yet.

Think a bit harder. Looking back 20 years there are a lot of super, super fat coaches. For instance:

charlie-weis-chiefs.jpg

I can understand you wanting to block out those years!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I didn't say this earlier, but if the few-hundred calorie difference between Mountain Dew and Rasberry Lemonade is enough for you to start seeing significant weight loss, you're dealing with someone that should likely be in the hospital and being treated for a very serious condition. Good on you Suikoguy, anyway. Hard to see someone you love treating their bodies so terribly.

Being a governor is quite a stressful job, and involves lots of moving around. The fact that he has gained weight since 2010 tells me he has a major diet problem among other things. At that weight, he could probably lost a lot of weight simply by changing his diet; his job could burn enough fat to make him look like a more regular fat person.

Voters won't tolerate that on a national level

Basic agreement. I think it would be less about the visual and more about the visceral -- he's a bully pretending that if he's a big enough asshole to everyone that nobody will notice he's a really really fat asshole. He'd lose 30-70 to a Harry Reid/Nancy Pelosi ticket.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think you're really making a mountain out of an extremely large hill here. Christie isn't some uber successful politician, he's been elected Governor once. He hasn't even had to face a reelection yet.

Think a bit harder. Looking back 20 years there are a lot of super, super fat coaches. For instance:

I can understand you wanting to block out those years!

Fine. Christie isn't as successful as I was suggesting. And I have no idea what you're talking about. What years?!

ToxicAdam

Interesting. Reading up on Christie's weight, he was quoted as calling bariatric surgery 'too risky'. He might want to change his tune on that one.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think it is more the sitting in the film room eating pizza until 5 am. Lack of sleep + convenience food = tuboshit. Same with computer programmers or drafting engineers. Only careers I can think of really. Well, trucker and traveling salesmen.
If they have history of playing professionally then their bodies are likely beat up too.

ToxicAdam

Gotta be some TPM links more interesting that Christie's hoagie addiction.

Yea. Even a post from Diablos with the latest Gallup poll to fret over would have been more enlightening.

--- /// ---

GOP Mystery Guest:

Republican convention planners appear to have a surprise planned for those tuning in Thursday night, the Wall Street Journal reports.

"Buried deep in the convention schedule released Monday is a vague reference to a mystery speaker scheduled for the event's final evening. 'To Be Announced' has a prime speaking slot late in the Thursday program."

Oh god .. I just had this vision of them doing to Reagan what they did to Tupac.

It would be so creepy, sad, embarrassing that I am wishing for it to happen.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Well there is this whole issue of the possibility that the entire Romney family is on stage, confetti raining down, as half-hearted, skeptical applause meets Mitt's half-cocked, Ward Cleaver aww-shucks smile while New Orleans drowns again. There's that.

Computer programmers? Fat? I can tell you that the majority that I've met and worked with -- as a software engineer, consultant -- are pretty fit folks.

Edit: I pondered this just now and I've worked at some of the largest companies in the world and worked with dozens of teams and cannot recall a single developer that was obese or extremely overweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom