• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
OK what part of repealing DADT and passing HCR is miserable abject failure? Dont you think our country progressed quite a bit since Bush years in these two regards? Although he has other major accomplishments that deserve unilateral respect such as Bin Laden kill order, those two accomplishments should suffice.

The part where he passed HCR.

So the last 12 years have been miserable abject failure. Amazing I manage to enjoy life at all given this information.

It's shocking how generally irrelevant the federal government is to your day to day life, isn't it?

OK what part of repealing DADT and passing HCR is miserable abject failure? Dont you think our country progressed quite a bit since Bush years in these two regards? Although he has other major accomplishments that deserve unilateral respect such as Bin Laden kill order, those two accomplishments should suffice.

If this was a Republican, they would have put his head on god damn Mt. Rushmore by now.

The part where he passed HCR.
I like HCR. It allows kids to stay on their parents insurance and never get denied for Pre-existing conditions. But for the sake of discussion, I won't argue. Yet you didn't mention DADT. What part of repealing DADT has been a miserably abject failure on Obama's part?

eznark

Banned
I like HCR. It allows kids to stay on their parents insurance and never get denied for Pre-existing conditions. But for the sake of discussion, I won't argue. Yet you didn't mention DADT. What part of repealing DADT has been a miserably abject failure on Obama's part?

I love that part. I also like that he came out in support of gay marriage. There's probably one or two other things I like as well. However, as with Romney and RomneyCare, ObamaCare is simply a bridge too far. It outshines all things. Though on balance Obama's general overall civil liberties record as been abysmal to me.

The part where it wasn't a conservative.
Wrong tree, sparky

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
OT2 so far living up to the hype.

Swing big, swing early. I cannot WAIT for the debate threads.

And don't forget, we're going to get at least three more surprises. Euro, probably some environmental catastrophe somewhere (we're due, aren't we?), and something especially illuminating about one of the candidates.

Madness!

gcubed

Swing big, swing early. I cannot WAIT for the debate threads.

And don't forget, we're going to get at least three more surprises. Euro, probably some environmental catastrophe somewhere (we're due, aren't we?), and something especially illuminating about one of the candidates.

Madness!

Romney wore an apron, thats the megaton

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
In the baseball world we just call this rumors/speculation, but still, there's HOPE:

Montana Could Force SCOTUS To Re-Hash Citizens United
The Supreme Court could give Citizens United a second look this month as it decides whether to take up a lawsuit against the state of Montana, which wants its century-old state law restricting corporate influence in elections to stay in place.

Montana is the only state so far to assert its existing corporate-money ban should still stand after the court ruled in 2010 that corporations could spend unlimited amounts on election ads via independent groups. The Montana Supreme Court upheld the 1912 Corrupt Practices Act, but the Supreme Court ordered that the law not be enforced while it reviewed a challenge by the conservative group American Tradition Partnership. The court is widely expected to strike the law down in keeping with its previous decision.

Poll: Obama Leads Romney By 6 In Wisconsin

President Barack Obama holds a 6-point advantage over Mitt Romney in Wisconsin, according to a new poll released Wednesday.

The latest survey from Marquette University Law School shows Obama earning the support of 49 percent of likely general election voters, compared with 43 percent who prefer Romney. Democrats have carried Wisconsin in every presidential election since 1984 — including a convincing win for Obama over Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) there in 2008 — but the Badger State has veered into battleground territory in the 2012 election cycle. Republicans have been emboldened by Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s (R) decisive victory in the state’s recent recall election and the Obama campaign surprised some observers when they identified the state as a toss-up earlier this month.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/poll-obama-leads-romney-by-6-in-wisconsin

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Romney wore an apron, thats the megaton

Optics man, optics!

892-FoBXH.AuSt.55.jpeg

Guys, remember that Eznark is a libertarian who realizes his cause is so maligned that he says fuck it, grabs some popcorn, and hopes for good theater. Hence the 6% Gary Johnson cheering and the general fuck it all, but especially to Liberals attitude. He is not a Rush Limbaugh/ Fox News copy paste that Kosmo has traditionally been. He is the opposite of Empty Vessel in almost every way. Their cause is as extreme on opposite sides of the political scale, except whereas EV takes events very seriously and tries to educate others, Eznark don't give a shit and makes snarky remarks.

I feel like Eznark loves the fact that I compared him to EV.

eznark

Banned
^ That's mostly fair, yet only in terms of policy. I think I'm generally pretty good at parsing the races.

Remember, the MU Poll was pretty much golden on the recall.

Other interesting news: Tommy Thompson is leading the GOP primary.

Tommy Thompson leads his three GOP rivals in the Aug. 14 Republican US Senate primary, but a quarter of likely voters polled were undecided in a survey taken June 13-16 by Marquette Law School poll.

Thompson leads the four-way field with 34%, followed by Mark Neumann at 16%, Eric Hovde at 14% and Jeff Fitzgerald at 10%, among 344 likely primary voters (that result has a margin of error of plus or minus 5.4 percentage points).

In possible November Senate matchups, Thompson leads Democrat Tammy Baldwin 49% to 41%. But Baldwin is tied with Republican Mark Neumann at 44%, and leads Republican Jeff Fitzgerald 45% to 39% and Republican Eric Hovde 45% to 36%, among 594 likely November voters (these numbers for the November election have a margin of error of plus or minus 4.1 points).

In the presidential race, Democrat Barack Obama leads GOP challenger Mitt Romney in Wisconsin 49% to 43%. In Marquette’s previous two polls, the candidates were tied in early May, but President Obama led Romney 51% to 43% in late May. The new poll was concluded last Saturday, before Romney’s visit to Wisconsin on Monday.

Obama’s approval rating in this survey was exactly the same as it was in Marquette’s late May poll: 51% approved of the president’s performance, while 43% disapproved.

A Thompson win guarantees the GOP wins that seat, but is also a major blow to conservatives in the state.

Kosmo

Banned
Interesting viewpoints on Executive Privilege:

Mark Rozell, a professor of public policy at George Mason University who has written a book on executive-privilege issues, called the administration's stance "astonishing."

"That's a breathtakingly broad view of the president's role in this system of separation of powers," Rozell said. "What this statement is saying is the president's claim of executive privilege trumps all."

Senator [name removed], called it "an outrageous abuse of executive privilege." Rep. [name removed] said the position "makes a mockery of the ideal that no one is above the law."

All on Bush using it. Last two quotes were Reid and Waxman, blasting Bush for using executive privilege

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Guys, remember that Eznark is a libertarian who realizes his cause is so maligned that he says fuck it, grabs some popcorn, and hopes for good theater. Hence the 6% Gary Johnson cheering and the general fuck it all, but especially to Liberals attitude. He is not a Rush Limbaugh/ Fox News copy paste that Kosmo has traditionally been. He is the opposite of Empty Vessel in almost every way. Their cause is as extreme on opposite sides of the political scale, except whereas EV takes events very seriously and tries to educate others, Eznark don't give a shit and makes snarky remarks.

I feel like Eznark loves the fact that I compared him to EV.

this is fantastic. you should do one on PD. but first, do me, do me!

eznark

Banned
To be fair, the last few months have pretty much disproved much of Kennedy's reasoning for voting for it. We are indeed seeing huge money surging into the process, corporate money, even foreign money.

I doubt you'd see that kind of activism from Kennedy though. He'd have to find an actual legal reason to change his mind.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

All on Bush using it. Last two quotes were Reid and Waxman, blasting Bush for using executive privilege

Doesn't the context matter? Or just the reactions and the invocation of executive privilege?

^ That's mostly fair, yet only in terms of policy. I think I'm generally pretty good at parsing the races.

Remember, the MU Poll was pretty much golden on the recall.

Other interesting news: Tommy Thompson is leading the GOP primary.

Tommy Thompson leads his three GOP rivals in the Aug. 14 Republican US Senate primary, but a quarter of likely voters polled were undecided in a survey taken June 13-16 by Marquette Law School poll.
Hmm. I still think polls are lowballing Baldwin's support (commence mocking), but Thompson would definitely be the toughest contender for the GOP. I wonder (hope) if that story about him donating to Democrats will get any traction in the primary.

I think the AG situation was bullshit and largely political; but as I said in the other thread, I would defend Bush's use of it in other situations (like the Pat Tillman case). I don't believe today's decision was political, but we'll get more info in the coming days.

this is fantastic. you should do one on PD. but first, do me, do me!

ooh, ooh, me!!

Next is meee. Pls

I only did Enzark because so many people confuse his stance. I don't want to get into the dangerous business of judging people in this forum.

Mine is simple. I'm just a black man with a job, an outlier in Obama's economy. Am I better off than I was four years ago? Sure. But am I better off than I was 25 years ago at birth, under Reagan? No.

That said, PheonixDark is a near master of his craft. His posts are close to perfect but if you look closely through the small cracks you'll see him grinning ear to ear as he types at his keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom