• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Well I think optics matters, and there are several famous cases where it reinforced an already commonly-held stereotype:

dukakis.jpg

KerryWindsurfing1.jpg

But seriously, if you don't like "petty bullshit" you probably don't like politics. You should try PolicyGAF 2012 |OT| The Serious but Empty Thread of Nobody Replying .

That is the funny thing about Nebraska, had Bruning gotten the nomination, I think Kerrey would have smoked him, but people trust Deb Fischer.
I suppose in a red state, being the tea party insurgent would actually be a benefit.

obama-welcomes-service-members-and-their-families-to-a-private-screening-of-men-in-black-3-in-the-white-house-theater-may-25.jpg

"Alright, we've cut together a film highlighting the Bin Laden raid for your enjoyment. Does everyone have their 3D glasses on?"

Well I think optics matters, and there are several famous cases where it reinforced an already commonly-held stereotype:

dukakis.jpg

KerryWindsurfing1.jpg

But seriously, if you don't like "petty bullshit" you probably don't like politics. You should try PolicyGAF 2012 |OT| The Serious but Empty Thread of Nobody Replying .

They matter, but I don't think Romney has done anything on that level lately. The truly telling example IMO would be the picture Newt's campaign spread: Romney getting his shoes shined on a plane runway.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
They matter, but I don't think Romney has done anything on that level lately. The truly telling example IMO would be the picture Newt's campaign spread: Romney getting his shoes shined on a plane runway.

That picture was not what anybody thought. Funny how these misnomers persist months after.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm still unsure what the problem with the Kerry windsurfing photo is. It's not like it's an expensive thing to do at the beach.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
They dont...they reinforce a stereotype.

Another famous example: George HW Bush and the dreadful grocery supermarket scanner

Or reading a book upside down, or talking on the phone upside down, or dodging a shoe...

I'm still unsure what the problem with the Kerry windsurfing photo is. It's not like it's an expensive thing to do at the beach.

It's not something that anyone in the midwest or south would ever do.

ToxicAdam

But to what end? These are all just little thin layers of lacquer that don't really alter people's opinion. Just harden the resolve of those that already have formed theirs.

Another famous example: George HW Bush and the dreadful grocery supermarket scanner

Except that never happened.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/bushscan.asp

It's one of those moments in time that people use later on to help build a narrative around when retelling a story. Much like Perot "cost" Bush Sr. the election.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Try telling that to basically anybody that lives in a red state. It does reinforce his rich/trying-too-hard stereotype, even if it's not that expensive.

edit: beaten

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

The hilarious part is that the grocery scanner thing was fake but I would place Mitt's comment about 7-11 cookies at being more out of touch and that was a thing that he actually said.

...it's a goddamn surfboard with a sail. WTF is "rich" or "elitist" about that? Is it the surfboard or the sail? Is it just because it's on water?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I guess we are talking about optics and not reality.

Well yeah, but on a meta-level. How do shots like these, even if they're technically inaccurate, affect people's perception? Politics is sadly all about emotional manipulation, people don't make lucid decisions based on careful weighing of issues and positions.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Actually, thinking about it, Iran-Contra as a scandal seems worse than Watergate, and Reagan did give 3 million illegals amnesty, yet they still seem to adore him.

Guess Republicans really do love tax cuts above all else.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Wait a second. We all acknowledge that it probably comes to economic direction. But optics is what it sounds like -- how do things appear to the average person? Rich vs. Poor, Old vs. Young, Smart vs. Dumb, Engaged vs. Aloof, White vs. Black, Presidential vs. Not Serious.

Of course imagery is important. I'm sure it's been measured a number of times, and just like social media and political advertising, there's an awful lot of money there for it to be meaningless.

ToxicAdam

Wait a second. We all acknowledge that it probably comes to economic direction. But optics is what it sounds like -- how do things appear to the average person? Rich vs. Poor, Old vs. Young, Smart vs. Dumb, Engaged vs. Aloof, White vs. Black, Presidential vs. Not Serious.

Of course imagery is important. I'm sure it's been measured a number of times, and just like social media and political advertising, there's an awful lot of money there for it to be meaningless.

But it's all backcasting. If Bush would have lost in 2004, there would be a small collection of images/moments that people point to today as his downfall.

It's mostly bullshit.

My sister didn't vote for Obama in 2008 because she saw some funny pictures of McCain looking crazy/angry on the internet. It's because she was a teacher, a union member and someone that voted for Democrats in 2006.

I know the cynicism of the 'average voter' in here is wildly negative, but the vast majority of people vote due to concrete things. Things they actually care about and want to support.

Kosmo

Banned
The hilarious part is that the grocery scanner thing was fake but I would place Mitt's comment about 7-11 cookies at being more out of touch and that was a thing that he actually said.

Arugula, dude. Lest you throw stones in glass houses.

"Al Gore invented the Internet."

Doesn't matter that it didnt actually happen. Just matters that people believe it.

Correct - Gore created the internet. It's oft misquoted.

But it's all backcasting. If Bush would have lost in 2004, there would be a small collection of images/moments that people point to today as his downfall.

It's mostly bullshit.

My sister didn't vote for Obama in 2008 because she saw some funny pictures of McCain looking crazy/angry on the internet. It's because she was a teacher, a union member and someone that voted for Democrats in 2006.

I know the cynicism of the 'average voter' in here is wildly negative, but the vast majority of people vote due to concrete things. Things they actually care about and want to support.

Is she voting for Romney this time?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
My special lady's entire news consumption is 20 minutes a day of NPR and whatever links or discussion happen to show up on Facebook. If NPR airs a 10 minute story about badger conservation during her commute, thats her news for the day. No newspaper, no Time magazine, no CNN ever. She voted for Pres. Obama because she's a public school teacher and she thinks No Child Left Behind is the worst thing in human history, ever.

dukakis.jpg

KerryWindsurfing1.jpg

It's not that I object to politics. Perhaps I just find your approach to discussing it aggressively uninformative at times. "LOL ROMNEY IS MAKING A PIE" is every bit as specious as Kosmo's fixation on Michelle Obama's Target visits.

As if it were wildly implausible for people to be committed en masse to false beliefs about the value of things?

Dram

Frequent Romney Critic GOProud Endorses … Romney

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/06/gay-conservative-group-comes-around-to-romney.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

On Wednesday, GOProud gave Romney its official endorsement.

“GOProud is prepared to commit significant resources to help make Mitt Romney the next president of the United States,” interim GOProud Chairwoman Lisa De Pasquale said in a statement.

But GOProud still has reservations about Romney’s positions on LGBT rights. When Grenell left the campaign, gay Republicans worried that Romney was letting the anti-gay right dictate his positions.

Indeed, the group’s co-founder admitted that they disagree with Romney on what is perhaps their signature issue.

“We don’t agree with Gov. Romney on every single issue — indeed with disagree strongly with him on his support for a federal marriage amendment and we have urged Romney publicly to take bolder and more conservative stances on tax reform, entitlement reform and spending,” GOProud co-founder Jimmy LaSalvia said in a statement. “Given the vote on our board, obviously not everyone in our organization will agree with this endorsement, and we respect that.”

“An overwhelming majority of voters select their candidates by looking at a variety of issues,” he said. “If you agree with a politician 100 percent of the time then you are probably the candidate.”

Well damn. I was making the new thread and who knew I would get called in to work for 12 hours straight...

Anyway I made this thingy for what would have been in my OP...

TmZ0b.png

Its suppose to be us Poligaffers voting in November.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hitokage changed the thread title. <3

But it would have been more appropriate to replace "military control" with "executive privilege".

Chichikov

Well damn. I was making the new thread and who knew I would get called in to work for 12 hours straight...

TmZ0b.png

I'm not a citizen yet.

OH MY GOD VOTER FRAUD
WE HAVE PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE
RICK SCOTT WAS RIGHT
PURGE THE VOTER ROLLS FROM ORBIT, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE!

Mike M

Nick N

TmZ0b.png

I suppose it's my own fault for never posting in this thread that I don't rate.

Jackson50

It's mostly bullshit.

I concur that it's largely post-hoc tripe. Brendan Nyhan had an informative article yesterday tangentially related to this topic. He noted the sudden change in the media's narrative regarding the candidates.

Brendan Nyhan

NEW HAMPSHIRE — One of the most frequent problems with campaign reporting is the way that journalists construct candidate-centric narratives that coincide with the ups and downs of the race.

We’ve seen this pattern recur with Mitt Romney in the last few weeks. The weak May jobs report and economic turmoil in Europe have helped to push down the estimated probability of President Obama’s re-election on the Intrade futures market by approximately five percentage points this month. With the GOP finally closing ranks behind its presumptive nominee, Romney’s chances of winning appear stronger than ever.

As if on cue, the press corps that previously savaged Romney as a flip-flopper and phony has started to portray him in a more positive light (though soul-crushingly stupid gaffe coverage continues).

In particular, Romney’s manner on the campaign trail, which has previously been derided as wooden and inauthentic, is now being described as more “confident,” which is journalism-speak for “seeming more likely to win.” During a CBS This Morning segment on June 8, for instance, reporter Jan Crawford said, “On a campaign trail this week, Romney has sounded confident… And why not? In his first head-to-head fund-raising battle with the President, Romney came out on top… [T]he fund-raising numbers were just the latest example of a not-so-great week for Mister Obama`s reelection bid.” Sam Youngman and Steve Holland of Reuters likewise portrayed “an increasingly confident Mitt Romney” in a June 14 dispatch that described the GOP nominee’s improved fundraising and polls immediately before describing him as “[l]ooking confident and more relaxed than his wooden image would suggest.” Finally, a June 14 commentary by E. Thomas McClanahan that ran in my local newspaper, the Valley News (NH), noted “a nightmare of bad news” for Obama before remarking that “Romney, chronically off guard in the primaries, has been campaigning with more confidence.”

http://www.cjr.org/swing_states_project/why_romney_looks_more_con.php

Yeah please put my imagine on the OP Altered, please.

You're actually checking people into the poll...even better.

No he's in front.

I suppose it's my own fault for never posting in this thread that I don't rate.

I could only fit ten people on there. I was planning on putting more people (Kosmo is obvioulsy missing as well as eznark, Jackson, and Invisible_Insane), but I could only put in ten people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom