• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Isn't biofuel corn a different plant almost entirely than the one for consumption?

I believe biofuel corn is the same corn they use to feed livestock. Even if it isn't, they would be growing biofuel corn instead of livestock feed corn on the same land and the displacement effect is the same.

Corn farmers love this, they get more profit from biofuels and regular corn prices rise too due to the artificial food corn shortage.

The worst part of this is that corn biofuel is horribly inefficient and is at best marginally "better" for the environment than fossil fuels, and at worst it is actually more harmful for the environment.

Switch grass and other non-food plants are much more energy efficient for producing biofuel and can be grown on land not useful for food crops but the USA remains dedicated to corn for political reasons to support the powerful corn farmer lobby in the USA.

They are. Elohim is just Hebrew for God. In English texts, it is translated as "God," where YHWH/Jehovah/יהוה is written as "Jehovah" or "THE LORD," depending on the translation and what passage you are reading.

Jehovah/YHWH/Elohim/El/Allah = same God of Abrahamic faiths.

Tim-E

RE: the Mormon temple video. If Romney is forced to comment on that video or any others will possibly do him in. To an outsider, that could be some damaging stuff...

Good old politics. Is this the Dem's October Surprise?

I'm a democrat who really, really wants Romney to lose, but I think going after a person's faith is the wrong way to go about it. No doubt the Republicans would do it, too, but it's shitty regardless of who's doing it.

I hope this doesn't get any traction. This election is perfectly winnable without this kind of shit.

Trurl

Banned
Jehovah/YHWH/Elohim/El/Allah = same God of Abrahamic faiths.

Ah. I recall there being a moment in the video where the speaker said "Elohim and Jehovah." Perhaps he was just piling on the names.

Edit: Yeah, let's be careful about how we use this against Romney. Criticizing the role of religion in somebody's life as being somehow inconsistent with free or rational thought is one thing (although I personally wouldn't do it), but attacking him for being Mormon due to how different it makes him is not cool.

I just watched the video because I'm a nosy Ned who wants to see people's secrets.

Zzoram

Except that has exactly a 0% chance of happening.

There is also 0% chance that Obama is a secret Kenyan Communist Muslim but that didn't stop the GOP from encouraging their base to think that.

I agree that Mitt Romney shouldn't be attacked for his Mormonism though. Romney's tax plan and social positions should be enough to work with.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Ah. I recall there being a moment in the video where the speaker said "Elohim and Jehovah." Perhaps he was just piling on the names.

Mormons believe that Elohim is the Most High God and is the God as we know as the Father. Jehovah is Jesus Christ before earthly birth.

kirblar

A 68 year old woman in 2016 isn't exactly at the end of her life. She's got a solid 10+ years left in her even if she has the usual chronic diseases of the elderly. If she's healthier, and she may be due to having money and good health care, she may even live longer.

Hilary Clinton will not be too old to be President in 2016. The only issue is that the American people may not be willing to vote for a President that looks like Grandma.

Romney is 65 right now and he's a man, and men typically live shorter lives than women. If his age isn't an issue, Hilary's age shouldn't be either barring sexism.
68 is old regardless of if you're a man or a woman, and campaigning sucks. Even if she would likely face minimal opposition, she'll still have a highly contested general field.

A lot can happen, and I doubt she'll actually make her decision until after the 2014 elections.

Zzoram

68 is old regardless of if you're a man or a woman, and campaigning sucks. Even if she would likely face minimal opposition, she'll still have a highly contested general field.

A lot can happen, and I doubt she'll actually make her decision until after the 2014 elections.

Yes 68 is old, but if Mitt Romney is 65 and age has never come up as an issue, why should 68 be off limits?

Clevinger

RE: the Mormon temple video. If Romney is forced to comment on that video or any others will possibly do him in. To an outsider, that could be some damaging stuff...

Good old politics. Is this the Dem's October Surprise?

I doubt it. Attacking his religion makes him look like a victim. It'd be incredibly stupid to do that.

Then again, never underestimate Democratic incompetence.

Guys, all you have to look at the 2004 map and think how much fail Kerry was:

350px-ElectoralCollege2004.svg.png

Obama's got this

I remember when a second bush was the end of the world.

GhaleonEB

I doubt it. Attacking his religion makes him look like a victim. It'd be incredibly stupid to do that.

They won't, and shouldn't touch it. It would instantly blow back at them.

FWIW: I went through the temple ceremony exactly once, when I got married. And it freaked me out so hard, I A) never went back, and B) was the catalyst for my eventually leaving the church entirely. There are multiple reasons the church keeps that stuff as secret as possible, and optics are one.

Cloudy

Banned

It's dumb because the people who would vote based on religion aren't likely to support the Dems anyways

Chichikov

where YHWH/Jehovah/יהוה is written as "Jehovah" or "THE LORD," depending on the translation and what passage you are reading.
In the bible it's written as jehova, it's read as "my lord" (adonay) or "god" (elohim) depending on the niqqud.

Also, mormons (at least the ones I talked to about that) make note of the fact that elohim is in plural form (though it's singular, think of it as an English word that ends with 's' or 'es'; 'im' is common form of pluralization in Hebrew) and see it as a confirmation of their faith.

Obama & Romney tied at 49% with people who already voted absentee

In an exclusive poll, Mitt Romney and Barack Obama are deadlocked among Floridians who have already voted, providing the latest indication that the race for the Sunshine State will indeed go down to the wire.

Among those Floridians who say they have already voted, Romney received 49.3% support while Obama received 48.5%. The choice of voting for a third-party candidates received 1.9%.

The automated poll was conducted Saturday, October 20. The poll’s margin of error is +/- 3.0%.

In Florida’s U.S. Senate race, Bill Nelson received 50.4% of those polled who have voted early, while Connie Mack received 44.7%.

Also asked was how these early voters cast their ballot to retain three state Supreme Court justices. According to the poll, 56.9% voted to retain, while 30% did not and 13.1% did not vote on this issue.

As for the veracity of St. Pete Polls data, I wrote this analysis about their numbers vs. actual results and determined, “Its results in the most important races outweigh its askew numbers in down-ballot campaigns. Moreover, the residents and voters involved in these races should be grateful for St. Pete Polls’ contribution to the public debate

http://saintpetersblog.com/2012/10/...who-have-already-voted-nelson-up-5-over-mack/

shit is close son, incoming recount!

gcubed

Ummm. Early voting hasn't even started yet... theyre pulling this from absentee ballots? How is this an inch above worthless?

Forever

Banned
Ummm. Early voting hasn't even started yet... theyre pulling this from absentee ballots? How is this an inch above worthless?

The Florida GOP is restricting early voting in Florida so the Democrats have been pushing an absentee ballot campaign instead.

Trurl

Banned
Mormonism is a global religion. Do converts in other parts of the world swear an oath of vengance against the United States?

GhaleonEB

Jackson50

Lindsey Graham: ‘I Think The Time For Talking Is Over’ On Iran

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/graham-i-think-for-talking-is-over-on
To have nearly half our Congress, especially this strident fool, primed for military action is highly disconcerting. And that many Democrats, while not as belligerent, also sound militant is even more worrisome. At least Biden's attempt to temper the hysteria in the VP debate reassures me the Obama Administration will not act heedlessly.
I was anxious he might fail the oaths and secret handshakes thereby being denied admittance to the Celestial Room. But praise Elohim he made it! And the cinematography was substandard, but I can't be unfair.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
No, because absentee ballots in Florida have traditionally favored Republicans heavily. The fact that it's even is evidence that the campaign is working.

Well, if they campaigned like crazy and all they were able to do is match what the GOP absentees have sent in, it is doesn't seem like it will be a big enough push to win, unlike early voting in Ohio and Iowa.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
To have nearly half our Congress, especially this strident fool, primed for military action is highly disconcerting. And that many Democrats, while not as belligerent, also sound militant is even more worrisome. At least Biden's attempt to temper the hysteria in the VP debate reassures me the Obama Administration will not act heedlessly.

Seriously, so we finally get to the point with Iran where we've squeezed them enough to agree to talks and now a bunch of warmongers might win the election. God Bless America.

Loudninja

Well, if they campaigned like crazy and all they were able to do is match what the GOP absentees have sent in, it is doesn't seem like it will be a big enough push to win, unlike early voting in Ohio and Iowa.
You are not making sense, they were trailing by big margin in 2008 with absentee voting.

But Obama still won, this time time they are about even.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
You are not making sense, they were trailing by big margin in 2008 with absentee voting.

But Obama still won, this time time they are about even.

What I am saying is, it isn't a lock. Iowa and Ohio should be locks still, despite Diablos' fears.

If they are still tied, they are still tied.

52-45 for Romney Gallup LV

LOL! Gotta hand it to Gallup for not skewing their methodology, despite the disagreement it shows with every other national poll. That is some stuff right there.

Darkgran

I think people are forgetting that Obama is still doing well and that it is VERY difficult for Romney to win this. Everything would have to be perfect for that to happen. I'm pretty confident that Obama will win.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
There should be a law where everyone who votes for war is required to be on the front lines.

"Oh? What's that, Lindsey? Suddenly this war isn't so important?"

I know you are being facetious. But I think war on the part of the USA for any reason other than retaliatory or direct action taken by a political foe is wrong. and a waste of human lives and money.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Yeah no one said anything like that.

I didn't say it was, I am just saying that with twice the campaign offices for Obama in Florida, all apparently pushing absentee and early voting, the best they could do in absentees is tying Romney. The ground game in Ohio and Iowa have led to huge margins in Obama's favor, but this apparently isn't as strong of a response.

How are any of you arguing against AB's astute analysis of Florida?

LOL.

I didn't say it was, I am just saying that with twice the campaign offices for Obama in Florida, all apparently pushing absentee and early voting, the best they could do in absentees is tying Romney. The ground game in Ohio and Iowa have led to huge margins in Obama's favor, but this apparently isn't as strong of a response.
McCain led huge among absentee voters in Florida in 2008. Obama's pre-election day strength came from in-person early voting.

This year the absentee ballots are closer than they were in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom