• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
McCain led huge among absentee voters in Florida in 2008. Obama's pre-election day strength came from in-person early voting.

This year the absentee ballots are closer than they were in 2008.

Was that part of McCain's push in 2008, though?

All the polling data in 2008 leading up to week of the election had Obama up 2% to 5%. Now this election, it is showing a tie. Different election and circumstances.

pigeon

Banned
Frankly, I'm still just hoping for the Castro assassination October surprise leak. Otherwise I'm putting Florida down as a recount state.

Darkgran

I really trust 538 when it comes down to it.

Lets look at his predictions in 2008 right before the election:

2008election_zps6af13c17.png

Compared to the results of the election:

2008electionresults_zps5fe94a01.png

The only state he got wrong was Indiana that went Obama and not McCain.

Here are his predictions as of now:

Capture_zps191a12b7.png

Seriously it's going to be difficult for Romney to win...

Kusagari

All that really suggests is what I believed from the start. Florida was never "lost" or "hopeless", but it's just not worth worrying about.

Whoever wins the state will likely win by less than 1% and it might not be called for days.

Worrying about the midwest firewall is more important to assure victory.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The main reason 1st debate changed things was people looked at Romney and went gosh darn he could be president.

Pretty much, but that was always going to happen.

Frankly, I'm still just hoping for the Castro assassination October surprise leak. Otherwise I'm putting Florida down as a recount state.

My money is on the Iran thing being the surprise, no way in hell Romney has a good answer for it. He either has to say he'd go to war regardless or say the president is doing this exactly right. Either way he loses.

giga

Man Romney is having a great polling day. Crazy how second debate changed nothing
Florida (+2.1 Romney average)
+1 Romney (PPP)

National (tie average)
Tie (NBC/WSJ)
+1 Obama (Reuters/Ipsos)
+2 Romney (Ras)
+7 Romney (Gallup)

JenniferlawrenceOK.gif

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Ahahahaha what a ridiculous poll but I'll take it I guess

I agree- Obama gained almost 4 points in 1 day. Seems unlikely.

The interesting Gallup number from today is Romney up 3 with RV. That has to be close to his largest lead in RV's.

HylianTom

Banned
There's one benefit to New Hampshire being as stubborn as it has been: if the East Coast polls close and it's called for Obama pretty quickly, that'll probably be a good barometer for how the rest of the night will go.

Cheebo

Banned
So we will discredit Gallup but proclaim a poll that shows Romney with a mere 1 point lead in the south great? Both polls are shit, from opposite ends.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I agree- Obama gained almost 4 points in 1 day. Seems unlikely.

The interesting Gallup number from today is Romney up 3 with RV. That has to be close to his largest lead in RV's.

At this point Gallup is the hugest outlier among all of the polls, most of which showing a 1 or 2 point race in either direction. It is just a weird thing to be seeing, I mean what the hell?

HylianTom

Banned
Interesting NPR article..

Since July, undecided voters have been "as a whole breaking for Obama," Vavreck says.

"About 60 percent of undecided voters are women," she says, "and women undecided voters who have made up their minds are breaking heavily for the president — 75 percent for Obama, 25 percent for Romney."

In key swing states — Virginia, Florida, Ohio, Iowa, New Mexico and Colorado — the number of undecided voters comes out to about 900,000 people.

As former Clinton White House adviser Paul Begala called it, "The American president will be selected by fewer than half the number of people who paid to get into a Houston Astros home game last year."

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/20/163309696/the-undecided-voter-just-like-the-unicorn

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I wonder if Gallup is polling enough cell phones? It just seems odd, almost as if they are only reaching older white people or something.

Cloudy

Banned
With Gallup, I remember how Obama was still holding steady after the first debate while he was tanking in all other polls. Maybe it's just a lagging poll? His approval ticked up the same time Romney ticked up in RV.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
With Gallup, I remember how Obama was still holding steady after the first debate while he was tanking in all other polls. Maybe it's just a lagging poll? His approval ticked up the same time Romney ticked up in RV.

It's been too long for that to be the case.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So Obama gaining four points in one day is unlikely....but Romney gaining 3 is taken at face value? :p

Err..pretty sure Romney did not gain 4 points in 1 day on Gallup. Not sure what you are talking about.

Gallup will either be right or very wrong, not much to discuss. Ultimately their poll will ensure voter fraud charges on November 7th, if Obama wins. The only question is who exactly jumps on. If it's just Rush and company, who cares. But I expect Fox and mainstream elected republicans to complain in full force, citing that poll. It's unlikely Obama will gain in the south enough to change Gallup's numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom