• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want to get a "rational" republicans opinion of these voting restriction attempts being made by the GOP and how you can continue to vote for these kind of people knowing their method of trying to win elections.

Regardless of how you think the country should be run or money should be spent or if abortion is immoral how can you vote for these types of people willing to cheat to win?
They don't view it as 'cheating'. They view it as "If these people are too stupid or lazy to go get the needed ID they are too stupid or lazy to get to vote."

And the abortion issue gives them reason to not give a crap at all . . . if you truly believe that the other side is MURDERING millions of babies then cheating would be viewed as just fine.

I really think the abortion issue is one that really messes up a lot of US politics. A lot of poor/middle-class people vote against their own economic interest due to abortion.

If the abortion issue were to magically vanish, I think the GOP would implode. They'd have nothing left but guns and rich people not wanting to pay taxes.

6BCMUzB.jpg

News is a business though. The people watching CNN want Zimmerman. The people who care about the coup probably are on the internet or have access to international stations.

I missed you :D

Where is pigeon??

He is around but not posting here. Also, how much free gubmint stuff you get while i was away? Hopefully, not the right to vote.

Paul Ryan flushed his chances of being president by coming out in full-throated support of inter-species love after DOMA fell.

Finally, something he and i agree on.

I really can't figure out if the GOP hires GOP people who are out of touch or hire young people who stealth troll them. That video was such a bad idea. not even accurate. Line and Grimes do not rhyme.

That must've been a long list.

It passed the character limit so I could only list three. In reality its something that could theoretically catch fire in South and Central America.

News is a business though. The people watching CNN want Zimmerman. The people who care about the coup probably are on the internet or have access to international stations.
The problem is that news wasn't always completely ran like a business. There was a time when these companies put quality over profits (up to a point at least). Unfortunately this is now no longer the truth and people are still trying to get adjusted to that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A law passed by the NC GOP required all women to stow away their limbs and heads because they were too much of a distraction for men.

Sadly, that would probably be the lest crazy thing to come out of that state in a little while...

The problem is that news wasn't always completely ran like a business. There was a time when these companies put quality over profits (up to a point at least). Unfortunately this is now no longer the truth and people are still trying to get adjusted to that.

Eh. That's because newspapers and Network had a monopolies on information people had to go to them, so they didn't need to bend over backwards to attract readers, they weren't competing against 2000 channels, games, internet, etc.. But there's been profit-driven journalism since forever (yellow journalism). I feel like people look at things through rosy color glasses.

The journalism of Cronkite and Murrow was an rare period. Its not really that common in history or the world (maybe BBC?) News always has an agenda too. Privately owned or government run.

A law passed by the NC GOP required all women to stow away their limbs and heads because they were too much of a distraction for men.

But the neckline is still there! I NEED A COLD SHOWER ASAP!!!

Also:

2sacr2a.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/6-ch...p;utm_medium=email&utm_content=emailshare

lolz.

Regarding the healthcare decision to delay, only 10k of businesses don't offer insurance of the over 5.5 million. it doesn't affect many but I think it was a political decision. WH never liked the employer mandate.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Eh. That's because newspapers and Network had a monopolies on information people had to go to them, so they didn't need to bend over backwards to attract readers, they weren't competing against 2000 channels, games, internet, etc.. But there's been profit-driven journalism since forever (yellow journalism). I feel like people look at things through rosy color glasses.

The journalism of Cronkite and Murrow was an rare period. Its not really that common in history or the world (maybe BBC?) News always has an agenda too. Privately owned or government run.

I feel like the BBC doesn't count when we talk about news. Considering the way it works they don't really have to worry all that much about funding or anyone messing around with them. They're in a pretty unique position as far as reporters go.

I feel like the BBC doesn't count when we talk about news. Considering the way it works they don't really have to worry all that much about funding or anyone messing around with them. They're in a pretty unique position as far as reporters go.

They're still subject to the whims of government and usually supporting the status quo. Journalism is impossible to be 100% impartial

But he is right. The 3 newscasts on the major networks were good solid news (still are pretty good) because they were viewed kind of as a non-profit public service part while prime-time was where the money was made.

I guess it was an artifact of the FCC control over the broadcast spectrum. But now with cable, satellite, and internet . . . it is back to a no-holds barred type of journalism. And the pamphleteers always did put out some terrible shit. People talk about the democratization of the media as a good thing . . . but is it really? I wonder. I'd rather have people watching the ABC, CBS, and NBC news than Glenn Beck, Citizen's Radio, Alex Jones, etc.

But he is right. The 3 newscasts on the major networks were good solid news (still are pretty good) because they were viewed kind of as a non-profit public service part while prime-time was where the money was made.

I guess it was an artifact of the FCC control over the broadcast spectrum. But now with cable, satellite, and internet . . . it is back to a no-holds barred type of journalism. And the pamphleteers always did put out some terrible shit. People talk about the democratization of the media as a good thing . . . but is it really? I wonder. I'd rather have people watching the ABC, CBS, and NBC news than Glenn Beck, Citizen's Radio, Alex Jones, etc.

You forgot the biggest newsource for most people.

Yeah, my latest thinking is that genius gerrymandering is now kinda backfiring on the GOP. They've created themselves safe districts . . . but at the expense of becoming increasingly disconnected with the real demographics of the USA. So they now compete with each other for who can be the more anti-immigrant and anti-abortion and anti-gay . . . at the expense of increasingly looking like old farts living the last century. Because that is what they are.

I don't deny that there was more what many people would consider "better news" then. Like I said and you did, because they didn't have competition. Though I think people ignore the fact they ignored stories that didn't fit their viewpoints, they weren't perfect.

I half expected a link to The Daily Show.

if that were true, our country's politics would be in a much better place. not joking.

JACKSON, MI -- An extensive article on Ted Nugent written by the Washington Post’s Steve Hendrix reveals the Motor City Madman is seriously considering a run for the White House in 2016.

The article, which explores Nugent’s political influence, quotes him as saying he’s thinking about a presidential run and even throws out a possible slogan:

“Hi, I’m Ted Nugent. I have nine children from seven women, and I’m running for president.”

Shemane Nugent, Ted’s longtime wife, says her 64-year-old husband has contemplated running before but not like this.

“He’s talked about it before,” Shemane told the Post. “But this time he seems more serious. People are constantly asking him to run.”

Even Nugent admits his chances of winning would be slim, but a run would bring his political agenda, namely gun-owner rights, to the forefront.

Nugent considered running for governor of Michigan in 2006 and 2010.

Nugent is a Detroit native and is a part-time resident of Jackson County, where he owns the 300-acre Sunrize Acres hunting ranch. Nugent primarily resides at a ranch near Waco, Texas.

Please let this happen. please please please.

lol this reads like an Onion news story.

AP (Raleigh, NC) –

After passing the Sharia-law-banning, abortion-restricting legislation on July 3rd, the North Carolina Republican-led legislature pressed on and passed another controversial piece of legislation. North Carolina Democrats criticized the bill as harmful to women and said Republicans refused to compromise.

"It's the most blatant restriction of woman's rights I've ever seen," said state senator and Democratic Senate Minority Leader Kathryn Smith.

The bill forbids women from taking their heads and limbs out into public, being required to leave them at home.

"Women distracting men with their looks has long been a problem in our state," said Senate Republican Leader Thom Goolsby. "Some of us believed this distraction made men unequal to women, violating the Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution. We tackled this issue with the delicateness and seriousness it deserved."

The bill was written, amended, and passed by both chambers on July 4th. Governor Pat McCrory signed the bill that night. "What better way to celebrate the anniversary of our nation's independence than ensuring the Constitution of the United States is upheld in North Carolina?" McCrory remarked.

The Republicans, worried that they would appear to the public as overreaching, have countered the Democrats' claim that they refused to compromise by highlighting an amended proposed by Democrats that was passed with the bill, allowing women to wear their heads and limbs in their own homes.

This push-back from the Republicans has not worked to stop the Democrats from denouncing the bill. "We will not stop here. We will push for repeal of this legislation, whether it be through the courts or the ballot box. The battle has not been lost," Senator Smith said as she finished her remarks in the state senate chamber on the night of July 4th, leaving people wondering how she was talking without a head.

AP (Raleigh, NC) –

After passing the Sharia-law-banning, abortion-restricting legislation on July 3rd, the North Carolina Republican-led legislature pressed on and passed another controversial piece of legislation. North Carolina Democrats criticized the bill as harmful to women and said Republicans refused to compromise.

"It's the most blatant restriction of woman's rights I've ever seen," said state senator and Democratic Senate Minority Leader Kathryn Smith.

The bill forbids women from taking their heads and limbs out into public, being required to leave them at home.

"Women distracting men with their looks has long been a problem in our state," said Senate Republican Leader Thom Goolsby. "Some of us believed this distraction made men unequal to women, violating the Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution. We tackled this issue with the delicateness and seriousness it deserved."

The bill was written, amended, and passed by both chambers on July 4th. Governor Pat McCrory signed the bill that night. "What better way to celebrate the anniversary of our nation's independence than insuring the Constitution of the United States is upheld in North Carolina?" McCrory remarked.

The Republicans, worried that they would appear to the public as overreaching, have countered the Democrats' claim that they refused to compromise by highlighting an amended proposed by Democrats that was passed with the bill, allowing women to wear their heads and limbs in their own homes.

This push-back from the Republicans has not worked to stop the Democrats from denouncing the bill. "We will not stop here. We will push for repeal of this legislation, whether it be through the courts or the ballot box. The battle has not been last," Senator Smith said as she finished her remarks in the state senate chamber on the night of July 4th, leaving people wondering how she was talking without a head.

Did you write this because it's pretty funny?

AP (Raleigh, NC) –

The bill was written, amended, and passed by both chambers on July 4th. Governor Pat McCrory signed the bill that night. "What better way to celebrate the anniversary of our nation's independence than insuring the Constitution of the United States is upheld in North Carolina?" McCrory remarked.

This push-back from the Republicans has not worked to stop the Democrats from denouncing the bill. "We will not stop here. We will push for repeal of this legislation, whether it be through the courts or the ballot box. The battle has not been last," Senator Smith said as she finished her remarks in the state senate chamber on the night of July 4th, leaving people wondering how she was talking without a head.

This reads like borrowitz

News is a business though.

That's not news. You mean entertainment is business. That's also why the things you think you know of as "press" really aren't. That's also why a society without a publicly funded news is a society without any news. A large contributor to the US's backwardness is its lack of a press to inform the public.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That's not news. You mean entertainment is business. That's also why the things you think you know of as "press" really aren't. That's also why a society without a publicly funded news is a society without any news. A large contributor to the US's backwardness is its lack of a press to inform the public.

Publicly funded news would be without bias? I don't understand how changing the funding changes it. A publicly financed news gathering agency would be subject to biases and majoritarian politically control.

Plumbob

Publically funded news is vulnerable to becoming a mouthpiece of the state..."Oh, you know that piece you ran on Congressman Pearcy on Tuesday? If there's another mention of it, we're cutting funding."

NPR is nice, but it also maintains independence through donations.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I know that much. But what was the Muslim Brotherhood doing that pissed people off?

That I can't explain as well. Basically Morsi tried to grab powers not delegated to him by the constitution and give the Brotherhood a stronger standing in the government than they had earned in the election. He also called the for the arrest of Bassem Youssef, the Egyptian Jon Stewart, for making fun of him. Basically he was turning into a dictator slowly but surely, so the people went out in massive protest until the army decided enough was enough is how I understand it.

Public service news in Sweden is pretty good. Especially on radio.

Publicly funded news would be without bias? I don't understand how changing the funding changes it. A publicly financed news gathering agency would be subject to biases and majoritarian politically control.

Not really if you keep the funding outside of the government budget. Sweden and the UK have a system where owners of TVs are mandated by law to pay a fee that finances public service media. Politicians have no power over this money. Theoretically, I guess the majority could change the rules and make it a part of the government budget, but the public outcry would be so enormous that no one would dare attempt it.

The worst part is when you see Gaffers linking such news sources as the word of God.

"Look at what Reuters said!"

Not really if you keep the funding outside of the government budget. Sweden and the UK have a system where owners of TVs are mandated by law to pay a fee that finances public service media. Politicians have no power over this money. Theoretically, I guess the majority could change the rules and make it a part of the government budget, but the public outcry would be so enormous that no one would dare attempt it.

The mere threat of it being subject to the government budget means there is a method to influence it. It works because the public agrees with its conclusions for the most part.

It might be "better" but its by no means the only way to have real news which is what EV claimed. Private news can be real news and often is.

Something that also invades both private and public news is the need for access. Journalists working for NPR, the local college newspaper or NBC all weight the cost of what they say against how that will affect their reporting in the future. That problem doesn't go away in public news, though in practice it might be less visible as there is less disagreement between the news and politicians.

The mere threat of it being subject to the government budget means there is a method to influence it. It works because the public agrees with its conclusions for the most part.

I guarantee that wouldn't happen in Sweden. If any government tried something like that they would be so blasted by the opposition and the public that it'd take more than ten years before they would ever have any chance of winning an election again.

Something that also invades both private and public news is the need for access. Journalists working for NPR, the local college newspaper or NBC all weight the cost of what they say against how that will affect their reporting in the future. That problem doesn't go away in public news, though in practice it might be less visible as there is less disagreement between the news and politicians.

If any political party would try and block media out in Sweden, because of criticism or whatever, all other media, public and private, would unanimously back the harassed outlet up. The amount of shit that any politician attempting this would be facing ensures no one would ever dream of doing it. To a certain degree, what you are talking about could apply to reporting on private companies and the like, because some of them are not as influenced by public perception, but never politicians.

Case in point: Swedish public radio does a thirty minute interview with someone every Saturday. And the interviewer can be absolutely merciless. He/she sometimes repeats the same question over and over again for ten minutes to make it painfully clear and embarrassing when the interviewee is trying to dodge the question. And they still get top people from different institutions in society every week.

I guess your inability to understand that it can work speaks a lot of the abysmal medial landscape in America. To an outsider, news reporting in America seems shallow and trite (with a few great exceptions obviously). The level of public discourse in countries like Sweden is orders of magnitude better and more nuanced. Theoretical discussions like this about the importance of non-influenced journalism is constantly on the agenda.

I think the crappy education system in America also has a part in it. In Sweden and Scandinavia, part of the curriculum is to make you able to function in a democratic society and issues like this are brought up in compulsory school, which means that the public understands the importance and knows what they should be able to expect from the press.

Still, the public press in Sweden is not perfect. There are individual people there that are incompetent, just as in any other profession, but on a system level the issues you are describing don't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom