• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait until he has to go through the wringer like every other "moderate" that ran before him.

We've seen a preview with his unnecessary denouncement of the Supreme Court's gay marriage decision. I don't get the impression he cares whether gay people can marry, but has to pay lip service to that base. I look forward to seeing how his brash style clashes with far right candidates like Rand Paul, who will attempt to gut him in debates.

8usmuwwptu-itjfyavgo1q.png

Even five years later!
KuGsj.gif

Will forever haunt them.
I blame Bush, Reagan, and Clinton.

gcubed

Christie is really easy to get worked up, and his usually brash style would not play well against a woman. I think Clinton neuters Christie way more then any other democrat would.

People usually like Taibbi takedowns of Brooks columns, so here's one I missed last week: David Brooks Wonders Why Men Can't Find Jobs: Comedy Ensues
It's not just Brooks. These days you can't throw a rock without hitting some muddle-headed affluent white dude who spends his nights stroking his multiple chins and pondering the question of the lazy poor, convinced as he is that there are plenty of jobs and the problem is that prideful or uncommitted or historically anachronistic (that's Brooks' take) folks just won't suck it up and take them.

kehs

Banned
Am I taking this out of context? It seems to be saying that Republicans need to stop being hung up on those things.

WITH HIS SECOND TERM so far defined by burgeoning scandals and policy headaches, President Obama tries this week to hit reset by referring back to a familiar theme, not without its own troubles — the economy.

Subtitle for the article.

Wilsongt

guess which site this piece of hard hitting journalism came from

MyxMt2R.jpg

Why yes. It is time for Republicans to change the subject.

We seriously need some journalism cite to grow some balls and make a story about how batshit insane the Republicans are now. Infact, title the story "Republicans: The Party of the Bat Shit Crazy and how they are ruining America."

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand Benghazi. Like, all of the other issues I can see how you can concoct that from a sort of warped perspective, but I just do not understand what the "scandal" about Benghazi is apart from "something something terrorists!".

Nate Silver is going to be editor-in-chief of a Grantland style website for ESPN ala Bill Simmons and he will still continually do politics and elections.

Silver will serve as the editor-in-chief of the site and will build a team of journalists, editors, analysts and contributors in the coming months. Much like Grantland, which ESPN launched in 2011, the site will retain an independent brand sensibility and editorial point-of-view, while interfacing with other websites in the ESPN and Disney families. The site will return to its original URL, www.FiveThirtyEight.com.

Silver’s reach will also extend to television and other ESPN platforms, where he will contribute to a wide variety of programs. He will showcase his work regularly on ABC News outlets as well, and during election years and key political events, Silver will provide political insights and analysis to ABC News.

This is fucking awesome. He's going to be able to bring the sabremetrics people in sports that are still sort of hiding either with teams or on internet blogs into a big media enterprise (which means a lot more availability wooo) to go along with the politics.

XSfRHRk.png

I am really excited for this (especially sports-wise).

Nate Silver is going to be editor-in-chief of a Grantland style website for ESPN ala Bill Simmons and he will still continually do politics and elections.

This is fucking awesome. He's going to be able to bring the sabremetrics people in sports that are still sort of hiding either with teams or on internet blogs into a big media enterprise (which means a lot more availability wooo) to go along with the politics.

XSfRHRk.png

I hope it's called ESPNate.

Nate Cohn on the impact of voter ID law in North Carolina.
But the North Carolina data strongly suggests that voter ID laws are unlikely to flip the outcome of a national election, even if it does have an objectionable, disparate impact on non-white and Democratic-leaning voters. That doesn’t mean it couldn't play a role in a close election--and close elections do happen. But Republicans expecting to flip Pennsylvania or Democrats fearing that Republicans will steal elections with voter ID should be circumspect about the comparatively modest electoral consequences. Many of the registered voters without a photo ID just aren't voting and 40 percent of them are probably voting Republican. If you want voter ID because you think you'll steal Pennsylvania, or you're opposed because you're concerned it's a Democratic apocalypse, move on. It's not the apocalypse, even if it is an affront to voting rights.​

Link

The Autumn Wind

XSfRHRk.png

Awesome. Probably the best-case scenario I could have hoped for.

Nate Cohn on the impact of voter ID law in North Carolina.
But the North Carolina data strongly suggests that voter ID laws are unlikely to flip the outcome of a national election, even if it does have an objectionable, disparate impact on non-white and Democratic-leaning voters. That doesn’t mean it couldn't play a role in a close election--and close elections do happen. But Republicans expecting to flip Pennsylvania or Democrats fearing that Republicans will steal elections with voter ID should be circumspect about the comparatively modest electoral consequences. Many of the registered voters without a photo ID just aren't voting and 40 percent of them are probably voting Republican. If you want voter ID because you think you'll steal Pennsylvania, or you're opposed because you're concerned it's a Democratic apocalypse, move on. It's not the apocalypse, even if it is an affront to voting rights.​

Interesting. I think Republicans earnestly believe that the reason Democrats win elections is due to some hidden mass fraud. Will be interesting to see how they react when Democrats win even with those shitty ID laws in place.

Interesting. I think Republicans earnestly believe that the reason Democrats win elections is due to some hidden mass fraud. Will be interesting to see how they react when Democrats win even with those shitty ID laws in place.

The GOP outside of the moderates are in complete and utter denial. I don't know how the steps work, but they went past angry and are now on the denial stage.

They didn't get their message across.

They didn't bring out enough whites

Hispanics agree with them on social issues

Democrats cheat elections away

Polls are wrong

Etc etc etc.

it's never about their platform, always about something else. It's amazing to see how many GOPers are in this stage of denial right now.

White people believe the justice system is color blind. Black people really don’t.
We asked whether it’s a “serious problem” in their community that police “stop and question blacks far more often than whites” or that police “care more about crimes against whites than minorities.” On average, 70 percent of blacks, but only 17 percent of whites, considered these serious problems. And the courts were not immune from such skepticism, either: while about 25 percent of whites disagreed with the statement that the “courts give all a fair trial,” more than 60 percent of African Americans disagreed. Repeatedly, using every possible barometer, we found that blacks doubted the fairness of the justice system much more than whites.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Which state was it - Iowa? Idaho? - that passed a voter ID law to combat "voter fraud" when there had actually never even been one instance of it in the state before?

The GOP outside of the moderates are in complete and utter denial. I don't know how the steps work, but they went past angry and are now on the denial stage.
Denial is first, actually.

Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

Which state was it - Iowa? Idaho? - that passed a voter ID law to combat "voter fraud" when there had actually never even been one instance of it in the state before?

I think that was Indiana. It was actually the case that SCOTUS upheld the laws. That's why it was such a controversial and shitty case; SCOTUS said the government satisfied the strict review used for burdens on voting, even without one shred of evidence that the law was necessary.

It was rather scandalous, in my opinion, especially because the same five justices who upheld the voter ID law overturned the Section 5 plan of the VRA, despite ample evidence of racial disenfranchisement discovered by Congress when they voted to renew it. This couple of decisions really show how brazenly political the conservative Justices have been (as if Bush v. Gore wasn't enough.)

I wanted to post this. Some disgusting results:

But in our data many whites (about 60 percent) believed that blacks deserve to be imprisoned more frequently. They often based their explanations of racial discrepancies in the prisons on racial stereotypes: Blacks, they believed, are more inclined to commit crimes or just less likely to respect authority. To a considerable extent, therefore, African Americans attribute outcomes to procedural bias, while whites are more willing to attribute them to character flaws of blacks.

This is called racism.

The major finding of the experiments is still shocking. When whites were presented with an argument against the death penalty or three strikes that emphasized the racial bias of the policy, they became more (not less) supportive of capital punishment and three strikes laws. The political lesson of the experiment is clear: confronting racial injustice head-on would be risky for elected officials because most whites do not believe that the justice system is racially biased.

This is disturbing.

Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

Is that so? I didn't know the order. I assumed 2010 was the anger phase and now it's denial. Perhaps they flipped the script?

Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

They just keep cycling Denail and Anger, sice they are never going to bargain, let alone accept.

Wilsongt

Interesting.

You could make a decent argument that the GOP has been moving backwards down the stages.

Accepting that they had a big upsurge in 2010.

Depressed when they got their asses handed to them in 2012.

Bargaining over how much they could fuck over the US.

Angry over the fact that they aren't getting what they want.

Denying they are batshit crazy.

Edit: In other news:

North Dakota Is the Latest State to Have Its Abortion Law Blocked by a Federal Judge

North Dakota is the latest state to have a new abortion law blocked in court. U.S. District Judge Daniel Hovland issued a temporary injunction Monday to stop a North Dakota law banning abortions after six weeks from taking effect on August 1. Hovland wrote that the ban is "clearly invalid and unconstitutional." That follows similar decisions made by federal judges in Wisconsin and Arizona recently.

The law, which would have required doctors to check for a fetal heartbeat before performing an abortion, is one of the strictest to be passed in the nation. Doctors who violated it by performing an abortion after a heartbeat was detected would have faced up to five years in prison and a $5,000 fine.
Hovland wrote in his decision:

"There is no question that [the North Dakota law] is in direct contradiction to a litany of United States Supreme Court cases addressing restraints on abortion. [It] is clearly an invalid and unconstitutional law based on the United States Supreme Court precedent in Roe v. Wade from 1973 ... and the progeny of cases that have followed."

Wisconsin and Arizona have also passed restrictive abortion laws only to have them blocked or struck down by federal judges. Last week, a federal judge in Wisconsin extended a block on a law requiring abortion clinics to have hospital admitting privileges. The law was set to take effect July 5. In May, a federal court in Arizona struck down the state's ban on abortions after 20 weeks. Judge Marsha Berzon wrote that "a woman has a constitutional right to choose to terminate her pregnancy before the fetus is viable." Viability typically occurs at 24 weeks.

More at the link. Sanity always wins out... Mostly.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The amount of money and effort spent on clearly unconstitutional laws is staggering. Have any legislatures been grossly punished by voters for the waste of tax payers money? I mean noteworthy backlashes over the money/time spent, not just "eventually voted out".
Party of fiscal responsibility.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, guys. Although austerity brings in a lot of pain, it's a necessary evil for lowering deficits. OH WEIGHT:

"The debt burden in the 17 European Union countries that use the euro hit an all-time high at the end of the first quarter of the year, according to official figures released on Monday. Government debt as a proportion of the area's GDP hit a record 92.2 percent, up from 90.6 percent in the previous quarter and 88.2 percent a year ago."

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/07/22/2334341/eurozone-debt-austerity/

GhaleonEB

When businesses fall on hard times, they fucking borrow and spend their way out of it. I don't understand how any business owner is uncomfortable with the idea of government running a debt, they do it themselves all the time to survive. Having manageable debt is healthy, any business owner should know this.

Imagine if you were the board of directors or CEO of a corporation, and the business badly needed capital to continue operating. If a loan was readily available at a reasonable interest rate, you'd get sued to hell and back if you chose to reject the loan and shrink the corporation instead. You'd get horrible press, too, for laying off workers for no reason. But yet everyone wants the government to do this exact thing.

Virginia Republican gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli has less than half as much cash as Democratic opponent Terry McAuliffe, with a prominent list of Republican donors sitting out this year’s most competitive U.S. political contest -- and in some cases switching sides.

The financial disadvantage four months before the election illustrates the difficulties confronting an attorney general who is campaigning on an economic growth plan yet is best known for his opposition to gay marriage and abortion.

“Mr. Cuccinelli’s very hard stance on some of the social issues is a concern for me,” said Virginia Beach developer Bruce L. Thompson, chief executive officer of Gold Key/PHR Hotels and Resorts, a financial backer of current Republican Governor Bob McDonnell who in May gave McAuliffe $25,000.

“I believe personally in a woman’s right to choose, but I also think from an economic development standpoint, we’re trying to attract businesses from other areas of the country, and we’re telling women that we’re going to regulate the way that they run their life? I just don’t think we can be exclusionary when it comes to women” and gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender individuals, Thompson said.

Cuccinelli, 44, had $2.7 million in cash as of the end of June, compared with $6 million for McAuliffe, 56, the former national Democratic Party chairman and fundraiser. While McAuliffe had been expected to out-raise Cuccinelli, the Republican is lagging behind where McDonnell was at this point in his 2009 race, when he had $4.9 million in cash on hand.

On Sidelines
Of McDonnell’s top 25 individual donors, only 10 so far have contributed to Cuccinelli -- leaving three-fifths either on the sidelines or actively working against Cuccinelli, financial disclosures posted by the Virginia Public Access Project show.

Donors who gave to McDonnell and haven’t provided funds to Cuccinelli include R. Ted Weschler, the Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK/A) investment manager who switched allegiances and contributed $25,000 to McAuliffe in December 2012.

McDonnell backers who have yet to write a check in the race include billionaire investor Paul Tudor Jones II, founder and president of the $13 billion Greenwich, Connecticut hedge fund Tudor Investment Corp.; Paul E. Singer, founder of New York-based Elliott Management, overseeing assets of $21.6 billion; and Terrence D. Daniels, the chairman of Charlottesville, Virginia-based Quad-C Management Inc.

One prominent Republican donor who contributed to McDonnell and had funded Cuccinelli, speaking on condition of anonymity because he isn’t authorized by his firm to describe the situation, said the SEC rules have kept him from contributing.

“People take the restrictions very seriously, because the consequences can be so grave,” said Elliot S. Berke, the partner who is co-chairman of the Political Law Group at McGuireWoods LLP in Washington
Some influential leaders within Virginia’s business community, particularly technology executives situated in the state’s ethnically diverse northern part, say they are wary of Cuccinelli because of his record as attorney general.

“I’m an employer in Virginia, and Cuccinelli terrifies me,” said Gary Shapiro, the president and CEO of the Consumer Electronics Association in Arlington, which represents 2,000 technology companies.

“To attract the best employees, you don’t want to have the most backward policies in the country,” Shapiro said, referring to Cuccinelli’s stands on issues including abortion and gay rights.

Shared Views

Shapiro, an independent who confronted Cuccinelli at a February meeting of the Republican Governors Association executive council to vent his concerns, said his peers in the business world share his perspective.

“I don’t know anyone who’s going to give him money,” he said. “I said it to Cuccinelli’s face: He’s anti-business, anti-woman, anti-employer, and he’s not going to get the support of business leaders.”

Bobbie Kilberg, a Republican fundraiser and donor who heads the Northern Virginia Technology Council, said many business leaders are holding back because it isn’t clear which candidate will be best for Virginia’s “pro-business climate.”
McDonnell “ran in the middle, he governed in the middle as a center-right, pro-business governor, and I really think business leaders are waiting to see which candidate will most adhere to that approach,” Kilberg said.
more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...an-suffers-abortion-backlash-from-donors.html

Looks like big business not on Cooch's side. Va better not fuck this up again...

When businesses fall on hard times, they fucking borrow and spend their way out of it. I don't understand how any business owner is uncomfortable with the idea of government running a debt, they do it themselves all the time to survive. Having manageable debt is healthy, any business owner should know this.

Imagine if you were the board of directors or CEO of a corporation, and the business badly needed capital to continue operating. If a loan was readily available at a reasonable interest rate, you'd get sued to hell and back if you chose to reject the loan and shrink the corporation instead. You'd get horrible press, too, for laying off workers for no reason. But yet everyone wants the government to do this exact thing.

I just wish we'd stop talking about government borrowing at all, since (1) it isn't necessary for the government to borrow; and (2) what appears to be borrowing now is just an illusion.

Republican leaders are coming under new pressure from conservatives to allow a House vote on legislation that would form a special committee to investigate the Benghazi, Libya, attack.

Rep. Steve Stockman (R-Texas) is circulating a discharge petition that would force GOP leaders to allow a House vote on forming a committee to investigate events leading up to the terrorist attack last year on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, as well as the Obama administration’s response.

Conservative lawmakers have been pressing for the creation of a special committee, but GOP leaders have resisted, arguing existing panels can investigate the incident on their own.

If Stockman can get 218 House members to support his discharge petition, it would force a vote on the House floor.

Discharge petitions are very rarely introduced by members of the party that’s in power.
They invariably infuriate leadership since they’re a way to get around the scheduling process for bills, which is controlled by the majority leader, in this case, Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.).

To promote his effort, Stockman, an outspoken freshman, will unveil on Tuesday a 60-foot-long scroll signed by 1,000 special operations veterans who support the select committee. Supporters tout it as the largest petition ever presented to Congress, and Stockman plans to unroll it down the Capitol’s steps.

“The only way we’re going to get a clean and thorough investigation is by forcing a vote with a discharge petition,” Stockman said in announcing his plan last week.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/global-aff...-60-foot-long-benghazi-petition#ixzz2Zp2vUWYT

will unveil on Tuesday a 60-foot-long scroll

will unveil on Tuesday a 60-foot-long scroll

LMAO

These guys never quit.

Wilsongt

They need to give up on Benghazi. Nothing's going to come from that shit. They're just wasting tax payer dollars, which I know they don't give a fuck about.

Averon

They need to give up on Benghazi. Nothing's going to come from that shit. They're just wasting tax payer dollars, which I know they don't give a fuck about.

The GOP are a lot of things but quitters they ain't. They'll grind and grind and grind on an issue for as long as it takes. They're obnoxiously persistent to a fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom