• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Republicans set to do more cuts to...

Environment and arts programs!

WASHINGTON (AP) -- House Republicans Monday proposed slashing cuts to environmental programs and funding for the Smithsonian Institution and the arts as they unveiled the latest legislation to implement the second year of budget cuts required under so-called sequestration.

The $24 billion spending measure would gut the budget of the Environmental Protection Agency with a one-third cut and cuts the National Endowments for the Arts by almost half. Overall, the measure funding the Interior Department, EPA, national parks and federal firefighting efforts is cut by 19 percent below funding approved in March.

It takes a more modest approach to the national parks with a slight increase over levels mandated by sequestration, the across-the-board cuts forced by Washington's failure to strike a bipartisan budget accord. And firefighting efforts would benefit from $1.5 billion in "emergency" funds on top of the spending limits set by the GOP's austere budget plan.

The measure is the latest of 12 spending bills for the almost one-third of the federal budget funded each year by Congress in the form of day-to-day operating budgets for government agencies. Such budgets are hit the hardest by sequestration.

Republicans control the House and are insisting on living within a tight $967 billion "cap" on agency operating budgets and are shifting more than $47 billion from domestic programs to the Pentagon — which runs counter to a 2011 budget agreement. The restoration of money to the Defense Department would force austere cuts on nondefense programs like foreign aid, transit grants and community development grants sought by local officials.

Monday's measure, along with a legislation coming to the floor later this week funding transportation and housing, are two of the GOP bills absorbing the brunt of the domestic cuts, along with a measure funding labor, health and education programs that will be revealed on Wednesday.

"Simply put, this bill makes very difficult choices in an extremely tough budget environment," said author Mike Simpson, R-Idaho. "Within challenging budget constraints, we've focused on providing adequate funding to fight and prevent wildfires, making sure our national parks stay open, and meeting our trust responsibilities to American Indians."

The measure also contains a roster of policy "riders" aimed at reining in the EPA such as language that would prohibit the agency from regulating greenhouse gas emissions from electric utilities.

The bill is sure to be slapped with a White House veto threat and functions as a placeholder until negotiations this fall.

Fuck yo nature, art, housing, and education, but HELLO MILITARY SPENDING!

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Where do purples fall on this color-based political schema?

What if you're taupe? What's the taupe political philosophy?
Purple people are theocrats.

Taupe would be categorized in the brown column. These people would be considered a light fascist like Lindsey Graham.

Purple and taupe can be mixed quite well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I got linked to this pic of Louie Gohmert.

23zUOJG.jpg

How is he still around?

Looks more and more like Obamacare is going to be a great success.

http://www.fiercehealthpayer.com/story/hhs-exchange-premiums-much-lower-first-predicted/2013-07-19?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal

Premiums for some policies sold on the health insurance exchanges next year will cost far less--up to 18 percent lower-- than initially predicted, the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) said Thursday.

In a new report, HHS concluded that silver plans, considered to be middle-of-the-road plans, will cost about $321 a month, compared to last year's estimates from the Congressional Budget Office that silver plan premiums would average $392

It really feels like all we have to do is run out the clock on this one. It's like having a two point lead with the ball in the last few minutes of a football game. You just have to make steady progress and not allow the other team to force a turnover. If we can just get to 2014 and get the exchanges running, the game is over.

http://www.fiercehealthpayer.com/story/hhs-exchange-premiums-much-lower-first-predicted/2013-07-19?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal

It really feels like all we have to do is run out the clock on this one. It's like having a two point lead with the ball in the last few minutes of a football game. You just have to make steady progress and not allow the other team to force a turnover. If we can just get to 2014 and get the exchanges running, the game is over.
When the whistle blows, what will the House do with all its newfound free time?

Wilsongt

Sen. Ted Cruz tells The Brody File that America is going down a dangerous road regarding what is considered “hate speech,” saying the next step could very well be charging pastors with a crime for speaking in support of traditional marriage from the pulpit.

We’ve provided a partial transcription. You’ll need to watch the entire video clip to get his full comments.

The Brody File team spoke with Cruz on Friday in Iowa after he spoke at the Pastors and Pews events in Des Moines. A partial transcription is below along with the video.

Sen. Ted Cruz: If you look at other nations that have gone down the road towards gay marriage, that’s the next step where it gets enforced. It gets enforced against Christian pastors who decline to perform gay marriages, who speak out and preach biblical truths on marriage.

We're on a slippery slope, folks. All hail Ted Cruz, 2016.

chansub-global-emoticon-c8a77ec0c49976d3-22x30.png

To be fair to Cruz, in Canada and as shown in the UK pastors are being limited in what they're able to preach. I don't see that happening in the states thanks to the 1st Amendment and the fact that our population is so divided but still, there's a bit of validity to the concerns.

To be fair to Cruz, in Canada and as shown in the UK pastors are being limited in what they're able to preach. I don't see that happening in the states thanks to the 1st Amendment and the fact that our population is so divided but still, there's a bit of validity to the concerns.

I am sympathetic to pastors being able to preach hateful things, I have a pretty absolutist view of free speech. The Supreme Court already took a pretty big stand on the WBC decisions last year.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Well, to be fair it's probably a little more complicated than he's letting on.

Honestly I have to disagree with him anyway. I feel like unless churches want to pay taxes they should have to play by our rules.

Honestly I have to disagree with him anyway. I feel like unless churches want to pay taxes they should have to play by our rules.

I'm in favor of getting rid of tax exemption but If we have it I don't really like that its tied to limiting speech. Give them the exemption or not. Who cares what they say?

I am sympathetic to pastors being able to preach hateful things, I have a pretty absolutist view of free speech. The Supreme Court already took a pretty big stand on the WBC decisions last year.

I am also an absolutist when it comes to free speech. Deny the holocaust, use racial epithets, say whatever you want. I believe folks have that right and should always have that right.

Why? Being protected by the 1st Amendment isn't based upon whether you're exempt/pay taxes. Pastors own their churches, they don't represent the government.

I am also an absolutist when it comes to free speech. Deny the holocaust, use racial epithets, say whatever you want. I believe folks have that right and should always have that right.

It always weird when they have the free speech threads. Europeans throw away that right so easily. Social harmony is much more important to them I guess.

Agreed. It's not going to work everywhere, or be perfect anywhere, but people will be able to make up their own minds. And if it's more expensive than a person's current plan...they'll stick with their current plan. Which is far from the end of the world, as republicans are claiming.

I also wonder how people will find out about the subsidies, how they'll apply for Obamacare, etc. Having worked with insurance for the last few years, I find many patients tend to be pretty good at figuring out ways to save money, so they'll find out about the subsidies one way or another. I just hope the information is easy to find/readily available.

(Speaking of insurance: we have an older patient who is a hardcore tea party type, she's always wearing anti Obama clothes. She came to the office last year in a state of distress because her son had just turned 21, needed a lot of dental work, and she was concerned he was taken off her plan. I told her he'd be fine until his 26th birthday, and she half whispered "...because of Obamacare...?" I said yes, because of Obamacare. The mixture of anger, confusion, and relief on her face almost made me bust out laughing)

Agreed. It's not going to work everywhere, or be perfect anywhere, but people will be able to make up their own minds. And if it's more expensive than a person's current plan...they'll stick with their current plan. Which is far from the end of the world, as republicans are claiming.

I also wonder how people will find out about the subsidies, how they'll apply for Obamacare, etc. Having worked with insurance for the last few years, I find many patients tend to be pretty good at figuring out ways to save money, so they'll find out about the subsidies one way or another. I just hope the information is easy to find/readily available.

(Speaking of insurance: we have an older patient who is a hardcore tea party type, she's always wearing anti Obama clothes. She came to the office last year in a state of distress because her son had just turned 21, needed a lot of dental work, and she was concerned he was taken off her plan. I told her he'd be fine until his 26th birthday, and she half whispered "...because of Obamacare...?" I said yes, because of Obamacare. The mixture of anger, confusion, and relief on her face almost made me bust out laughing)

How was dental covered by Obamacare? I thought that only went for HI and not dental?

I also saw this which says there was only 79 murders in the Somalialand district. Now this is the part of Somalia with "order" but still, 79 out of 3.5 million? Chicago has less of a population and had 500 last year.

How was dental covered by Obamacare? I thought that only went for HI and not dental?

They're not required to, but we've noticed a few major providers (University of Michigan/Delta) changing plans to be in line with the health care age requirement change. Many dental insurances changed from a 21yo max to 26yo.

The other changes are Medicaid based, for better or worse.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
A majority of adults don’t want to repeal the Affordable Care Act, according to the latest United Technologies/National Journal Congressional Connection Poll, preferring instead to either spend more on its implementation or wait to see if changes are needed later. [...]

Given the choice to either repeal the law, wait and see how it takes effect, or add money to aid its implementation, only 36 percent of adults picked outright repeal. More than half chose to either wait and see (30 percent) or provide more money (27 percent). [...]
Among nonwhites, 60 percent said lawmakers should keep the law intact with only 32 percent backing the repeal option, highlighting how the GOP’s problems with minority voters extend into economic issues

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/23/1225928/-Poll-America-not-interested-in-Obamacare-repeal

This actually isn't "new" news. It's about as consistent as it's been throughout the past few years since the law was enacted. But considering all the assaults led by Republicans, it's still good to see people haven't been swayed much.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/354122/facing-facts-about-race-victor-davis-hanson

Does the National Review have a yearly quota of saying whites should stay away from black articles? And oh god at the comments. Eugenics is alive and well.

Holder noted in lamentation that he had to repeat to his own son the lecture that his father long ago gave him. The sermon was about the dangers of police stereotyping of young black males. Apparently, Holder believes that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Yet I fear that for every lecture of the sort that Holder is forced to give his son, millions of non-African-Americans are offering their own versions of ensuring safety to their progeny.

I think that experience — and others — is why he once advised me, “When you go to San Francisco, be careful if a group of black youths approaches you.” Note what he did not say to me. He did not employ language like “typical black person.” He did not advise extra caution about black women, the elderly, or the very young — or about young Asian Punjabi, or Native American males. In other words, the advice was not about race per se, but instead about the tendency of males of one particular age and race to commit an inordinate amount of violent crime.

Yet I suspect — and statistics would again support such supposition — that Holder privately is more worried that his son is in greater danger of being attacked by other black youths than by either the police or a nation of white-Hispanic George Zimmermans on the loose.

First, America is now a multiracial nation. The divide is not white versus black. And as the Zimmerman trial reminds us, it is no longer a nation where most of the authority figures are white males. We saw a female judge, a female jury, and an Hispanic in confrontation with an African-American; today those of various racial pedigrees and different genders interact in ways that transcend the supposed culpability of white males.

In the other paper, there was a strangely similar tale. Not far away, in Santa Rosa, at about the same time, two African-American youths in hoodies attacked another jewelry store, also had a shoot-out with the owner, and also failed to evade the police — though in this case none of the employees or customers was injured.
And on and on and on across America each day, this same tragedy is played out of a small percentage of Americans committing violent crimes at rates far exceeding their proportion of the general population.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/23/1225928/-Poll-America-not-interested-in-Obamacare-repeal

This actually isn't "new" news. It's about as consistent as it's been throughout the past few years since the law was enacted. But considering all the assaults led by Republicans, it's still good to see people haven't been swayed much.

This is more evidence that demonstrates the GOP shutting down the gov't without a repeal will make them pay and pay hard.

60% already against. Among those that aren't, a lot will switch due to the sore loser factor.

If the GOP is truly this stupid, then good riddance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom