• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Yea, I went in long enough to point out Obama has no control over gas prices to someone who apparently didn't know this and just left. I dunno what happened to the OT but a lot of the threads there have been just painful over the last few weeks, especially over the last few days.
People realize that they can get away with drive-by posting when it's done en masse. They don't care if what they post is correct or even makes sense, so long as they get to mention how terrible Obama is.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Yea, I went in long enough to point out Obama has no control over gas prices to someone who apparently didn't know this and just left.

Vpn0h.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
People realize that they can get away with drive-by posting when it's done en masse. They don't care if what they post is correct or even makes sense, so long as they get to mention how terrible Obama is.

I feel like it's getting really really bad though. It didn't used to be this bad did it? It's like 99% of posts are drive-by's. They aren't even funny ones. I can forgive a funny drive-by, but dumb blatantly wrong ones really bug me.

EDIT: It's not only the political threads either. I feel like the whole OT is getting sucked into it.

GOP Expected To Thwart Obamacare Fix For Churches

An effort by Democrats to fix a glitch under Obamacare that harms small churches is widely expected to be blocked by Republicans, in what would be the latest example of GOP efforts to undermine President Obama’s signature legislative achievement by refusing to fix technical problems encountered during implementation.

The problem is that under the law clergy and church employees at smaller churches cannot apply their Obamacare subsidies toward the premiums for church insurance plans because those plans do not qualify. That could force clergy and staff to leave their church insurance plans and use the Obamacare exchanges instead, threatening to rob church insurance plans of the participants they need to remain viable.

Legislation by Sens. Mark Pryor (D-AR) and Chris Coons (D-DE) would fix this problem by allowing Obamacare premium subsidies to be applied toward church plans that meet coverage requirements. It would also deem qualified church plans as satisfying the law’s coverage mandates.

The United Methodist Church is urging lawmakers to support the bill, fearful that it may have to drop coverage under the status quo and let employees buy insurance on their own.

“Absent this amendment it would be difficult for some churches to function as they are now,” said Tim Jost, a professor of health law at Washington and Lee University and expert on the Affordable Care Act, which he supports.

Democrats say Republicans are determined to block a legislative fix, as they have for other Obamacare glitches, and want to keep pushing to repeal the law entirely. A political upside for Republicans is that letting the key parts of the law take effect next year with the church glitch aids their efforts to sabotage the law’s implementation.

“We’re not expecting it to get a vote — at least not anytime soon,” said Coons spokesman Ian Koski. “The climate is such right now that Republicans would rather repeal the law than fix it. They’re more interested in leaving this loophole open as part of their strategy to undermine the Affordable Care Act. They can go out there now and say the Affordable Care Act is bad for churches instead of working with us to fix the problem.”

Koski also said it’s “not a far leap” to conclude that Republicans also oppose the bill because one of its lead sponsor is Pryor, a vulnerable incumbent and prime GOP target for 2014.

A request for comment to a senior Republican aide was not immediately returned.

“This is one of those situations where if you had a functional Congress, they’d be able to enact a fix,” Jost said. “But we don’t have a functional Congress so that’s not likely to happen.”
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/08/obamacare-fix-churches-coons-pryor.php?ref=fpb

yup

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I feel like this needs a thread, but it would probably just be filled with "Obama sucks" posts.

Pretty much.

It's disgusting though, if we had an actually Congress instead of a bunch of whiny man-children shit might actually get done.

NewLib

Banned
The fact that people don't understand how government works is MIND BOGGLING.

I think the most frustrating thing is arguments made by low level federal employees or policy suggestions made by one part of one agency become "ZOMG did you hear what Obama did." It's like people have no concept that 95% of what the federal government does, the lead executives have no involvement with or knowledge about.

Neogaf has it easy, man. I've been in the darker woods of the Internet that is filled with young or middle of nowhere libertarians. You have no idea how many times in I've had to refute the gold bugs, the fair tax fairies, the greece gammas, 9/11 truthrs, etc. I have spent way too much time trying to explain these things to people over the years and coming to gaf almost completely ended it. I feel spoiled here. You easily get sucked into those battles.

Unlike it here. They pop up on occasion of course but its manageable. I like the the crazies and ignorant are fairly quiet here. I'm over it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Neogaf has it easy, man. I've been in the darker woods of the Internet that is filled with young or middle of nowhere libertarians. You have no idea how many times in I've had to refute the gold bugs, the fair tax fairies, the greece gammas, 9/11 truthrs, etc. I have spent way too much time trying to explain these things to people over the years and coming to gaf almost completely ended it. I feel spoiled here. You easily get sucked into those battles.

Unlike it here. They pop up on occasion of course but its manageable. I like the the crazies and ignorant are fairly quiet here. I'm over it.

True, but it has been getting worse lately.

Link

The Autumn Wind

Well, it was enjoyable while it lasted. The floodgates have been kicked down, it seems.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Trust me, you ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until you debate someone who bets their account that Ron Paul will win the GOP nom and presidency. Then you will stare into the abyss of pure absurdity.

Christ, I've been on other forums but never seen anything that bad.

It's pretty funny how quickly people here jump on deficit/debt stuff. I blame EV.

I won't lie, I definitely did some more research and talked with an old econ professor after reading some of his stuff.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I was actually surprised at how left-leaning this place was when I first started following PoliGAF. Guess I got a bit spoiled.

I've come to the conclusion that my favourite thing to do on OT is posting DW-NOMINATE graphs in those threads and watching ConservaGAF flail around trying to spin them.

(Also, I appear to be taking over that thread with how often I'm posting)

I can't stand people who complain about two 'crappy choices'. Do something about it if you care. US parties aren't ideological and change all the time.

We've also been moving farther and farther away from 'both parties are the same'. We've never had more ideological distinct parties in US history. The problem is our system never expected it.

KingK

The increase in the "both parties are the same" attitude in the OT recently is really frustrating. I don't understand how anyone with even a tenuous grasp on reality can honestly feel that way.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The increase in the "both parties are the same" attitude in the OT recently is really frustrating. I don't understand how anyone with even a tenuous grasp on reality can honestly feel that way.

Its a way of displacing frustration by putting yourself "above it all" for many, I suspect

Can somebody explain the whole "when there is a private sector surplus there is a public deficit increase" or whatever that thing is that empty vessel often pulls out.

pigeon

Banned
Can somebody explain the whole "when there is a private sector surplus there is a public deficit increase" or whatever that thing is that empty vessel often pulls out.

First you have to remember that currency enters the system when the government spends money and exits the system when the government receives money in taxes.*

Given that, it's pretty simple. A private sector surplus means that people are saving money. For them to save money and pay the same amount in taxes, the government has to add more money to the system, which requires them to spend more money. Similarly, if the government cuts spending, it reduces the input of cash into the system. If it doesn't simultaneously reduce taxation, it will shrink the money supply, requiring people to reduce their savings to compensate.

* EV has an explanation of why fractional reserve lending doesn't actually add currency to the system, as a traditional macro class will tell you it does, but I don't remember it.

KingK

Its a way of displacing frustration by putting yourself "above it all" for many, I suspect

I understand people being frustrated with some of Obama's actions. I think buying into the deficit hysteria back in 2010/11 was stupid, I think the drone program is at the very least overused and lacks proper restraint, and I think the NSA programs are too great an invasion of privacy. However, that's like 3 issues out of a hundred. I voted for Obama and would again, despite not liking his stance on some issues, because I agree with him about 70+% of the time as opposed to nearly 0% for the Republicans. It just seems like more and more people have this black and white mentality where everything is either exactly how you want it 100%, or it's complete shit and just like everything else you don't like. There are no degrees.

It reminds me of the attitude in Gaming where if a game isn't a revolutionary masterpiece it's a piece of shit bomba.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom