• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Scott calls on Reid to apologize:
Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC), the only African-American serving in the chamber, called on Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) to apologize for saying Friday he "hope" GOP opposition to President Obama is "based on substance and not the fact that he's African-American."

Scott said he's "sincerely disappointed" and said, "I hope Senator Reid will realize the offensive nature of his remarks and apologize to those who disagree with the President’s policies because of one thing -- they are hurting hardworking American families."

Tamanon

Banned
I knew a guy who was a fundi to the max. Claimed to be a prophet of God. Claimed to have died multiple times and during the last time was taken up to heaven to meet Jesus. While there he was taught Hebrew through osmosis. Brought back to life and is now a preacher.

The last three years he has been obsessed with letting the world know that God told him the obum is the AntiChrist who will create peace between Israel and the Palestinians before 2016 and at that time Obum will finally claim for himself dictatorship of the world.

Obum :(

Hopefully his first act as Anti C is too proclaim a single payer system.

Peace in Palestine/Israel is the least believable thing he says.

@____@

Banned
Tim Scott calls on Reid to apologize:
Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC), the only African-American serving in the chamber, called on Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) to apologize for saying Friday he "hope" GOP opposition to President Obama is "based on substance and not the fact that he's African-American."

Scott said he's "sincerely disappointed" and said, "I hope Senator Reid will realize the offensive nature of his remarks and apologize to those who disagree with the President’s policies because of one thing -- they are hurting hardworking American families."

Tim Scott said this? I for one am shocked that the GOP would send out the only serving black Senator who happens to be a Republican to respond. Shocked.

I knew a guy who was a fundi to the max. Claimed to be a prophet of God. Claimed to have died multiple times and during the last time was taken up to heaven to meet Jesus. While there he was taught Hebrew through osmosis. Brought back to life and is now a preacher.

I'm sure Hebrew was very helpful communicating with Aramaic speaking Jesus.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Hey one conspiracy theory the right got right! Obamacare is designed to lead to single payer!

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/aug/10/reid-says-obamacare-just-step-toward-eventual-sing/

From a conservative comment section

Once we become a single payer system, you don’t think folks will be denied care based on their political views gained from spying using government agencies? . . .
Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.

Tim Scott said this? I for one am shocked that the GOP would send out the only serving black Senator who happens to be a Republican to respond. Shocked.
And he wasn't even elected, but appointed by Haley.

Amazing photobomb by a person who isn't even there.

BRUkb-6CAAArv5U.jpg

Speaking of videogames, I'm playing Donkey Kong Country Returns for the first time, in anticipation for Tropical Freeze, and I'm having so much fun. But I'm also dying a lot because it's hard.
I believe it's called Fucking Donkey Kong

I've been playing Pikmin 1 on Wii (don't have any money to be buying Pikmin 3) and Mario Sunshine (only 3D Mario I've never beaten). Having a blast with both. Gamecube was truly the pinnacle of human achievement.

Snake

article you posted said:
"CNSNews.com is not funded by the government like NPR. CNSNews.com is not funded by the government like PBS.

CNSNews.com relies on individuals like you to help us report the news the liberal media distort and ignore. Please make a tax-deductible gift to CNSNews.com today. Your continued support will ensure that CNSNews.com is here reporting THE TRUTH, for a long time to come. It's fast, easy and secure.
"
That about sums up my opinion.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That about sums up my opinion.

Yeah, I know it's CNS,, but the story itself seems to be legit.

I believe it's called Fucking Donkey Kong

I've been playing Pikmin 1 on Wii (don't have any money to be buying Pikmin 3) and Mario Sunshine (only 3D Mario I've never beaten). Having a blast with both. Gamecube was truly the pinnacle of human achievement.

Why are you not playing Super Mario Galaxy as we speak, young Aaron??!

Can I get some opinions on this:

Blue Cross, Aetna, United, Humana Flee Obamacare Exchanges

Seems like a really dumb decision.

No, it's not. What you're seeing is is the major insurance companies not partaking in markets they have no hold in to start with.

For example, in California, the individual market is almost entirely Anthem, Blue Shield, and Kaiser. Combined they own 90%+ of the marketshare. They have been in California for a long time. They know the regulations and rules here. The people know their products.

If someone like Humana enters the exchanges, people in California are going to go "Who is humana? Sounds shady, I'll stick with Anthem."

In fact, almost all the new entrants into California's individual market are tiny insurance agencies (relatively) who only dealt with group and employer policies in the state and see this as an opportunity to expand since at least their names are going next to the big boys. But as I said, they're already here and established and know the regulations and rules and some people may recognize them and they're small so it can't hurt.

A big player isn't going to enter a state where other big players have dominated the market for decades. It makes no rational sense from their perspective. The GOP has tried to attack the exchanges that not everyone is in every market, but that was never the intention or could possibly happen.

When a major insurance agency with a major slice of a state's market leaves that state, THEN we can talk. That has yet to happen. UnitedHN is leaving california and about a total of 8000 clients. That's out of like 1.5 million individual plans here. Is there any doubt why UnitedHN isn't bothering?

Of course it would be better for consumers if they stayed, but it's just not a smart choice. Nearly everyone is going to be on Anthem, Blue Shield, or Kaiser.

Blue Cross has opted to focus on the individual market (where they are at 50% here) opposed to group which is much smaller and dominated by Kaiser (50% market). And there's still non-exchanges for businesses Blue Cross will deal with. The SHOP exchange is very small and affects very few businesses (under 25 employees) and ABC has always dealt with large employers here.

edit: Anthem = Blue Cross, btw. ABC is going nowhere.

Oblivion

No, it's not. What you're seeing is is the major insurance companies not partaking in markets they have no hold in to start with.

For example, in California, the individual market is almost entirely Anthem, Blue Shield, and Kaiser. Combined they own 90%+ of the marketshare. They have been in California for a long time. They know the regulations and rules here. The people know their products.

If someone like Humana enters the exchanges, people in California are going to go "Who is humana? Sounds shady, I'll stick with Anthem."

In fact, almost all the new entrants into California's individual market are tiny insurance agencies (relatively) who only dealt with group and employer policies in the state and see this as an opportunity to expand since at least their names are going next to the big boys. But as I said, they're already here and established and know the regulations and rules and some people may recognize them and they're small so it can't hurt.

A big player isn't going to enter a state where other big players have dominated the market for decades. It makes no rational sense from their perspective. The GOP has tried to attack the exchanges that not everyone is in every market, but that was never the intention or could possibly happen.

When a major insurance agency with a major slice of a state's market leaves that state, THEN we can talk. That has yet to happen. UnitedHN is leaving california and about a total of 8000 clients. That's out of like 1.5 million individual plans here. Is there any doubt why UnitedHN isn't bothering?

Of course it would be better for consumers if they stayed, but it's just not a smart choice. Nearly everyone is going to be on Anthem, Blue Shield, or Kaiser.

Blue Cross has opted to focus on the individual market (where they are at 50% here) opposed to group which is much smaller and dominated by Kaiser (50% market). And there's still non-exchanges for businesses Blue Cross will deal with. The SHOP exchange is very small and affects very few businesses (under 25 employees) and ABC has always dealt with large employers here.

edit: Anthem = Blue Cross, btw. ABC is going nowhere.

Oh, interesting. So will this wind up negatively effecting the insurance exchanges?

Oblivion

Played and beaten both several times. Love'm to death but I need to give some attention to the forgotten Mario.

A 3DS port would be dope as shit. I'll ask Obama

Oh whoops. I read that wrong. I thought you said it was the only game you beaten.

Oh, interesting. So will this wind up negatively effecting the insurance exchanges?

not much. I mean, more competition should lower prices more so it will lose a little bit of that.

But there are still like 10 companies on California's individual exchange. All the big players in Cali are on it. You're going to see this everywhere in the nation. Companies that already have big footprints in the market will continue to stay in the market, big companies that don't will stay away.

Put it this way. If Humana isn't in California now, why will they be after the exchanges? For them, nothing changed. And for someone like Healthnet with 8k out of 1.5 million, why bother dealing with new rules when you can simply leave that market and focus on the markets you're big in?

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration and congressional Republicans have found something to agree on: Town councils should be allowed to open their meetings with a Christian prayer.

Lawyers for the administration and two groups of lawmakers from the House and Senate, nearly all Republicans, separately made that argument in briefs to the Supreme Court this week. The high court should relax the constitutional limits on religious invocations at government meetings, they argued.

The case could lead to a major change in the law on religion that would go well beyond prayers at council meetings.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-court-prayer-20130809,0,6470966.story

God Damn it, Obama.

Rep. Markwayne Mullin (R-OK) backed away on Friday from the support he seemed to express for birtherism at a town hall earlier in the week, with his spokeswoman telling TPM the lawmaker simply "misspoke" at the time.

Mullin's spokeswoman talked to TPM after multiple reports surfaced with videos showing the freshman congressman telling a woman who was preaching the birther conspiracy theory at his town hall in Afton, Okla., "I believe what you’re saying."

"No, no, he’s never been a birther," spokeswoman Ashley Kehl said. "He’s never proclaimed to be a birther or supportive of that.”

Kehl initially said the quote had been "taken out of context," and blamed it on the website Think Progress, which had published the video online.

The video showed Mullin being confronted by a woman who presented documents alleging that President Barack Obama's birth certificate is fraudulent. Birthers believe in a widely-debunked conspiracy theory that insists Obama is not a natural born citizen of the U.S. and so is therefore ineligible to be president. Although Mullin told the woman that it was a "dead issue" following Obama's victory in last year's election, he appeared to signal that he was receptive to her argument.

"ThinkProgress, who initially posted the video, has never supported causes that my boss has participated in or legislation that he’s supported. They’ve never been a supporter of Markwayne Mullin," Kehl said. "And so, for us, we’re considering the source as to how they are trying to paint my boss is as a birther. And those comments were taken out of context and that is not who he is.”

When TPM pointed out that another, unedited version of Mullin's exchange was also available online, Kehl said she would review the footage in order to provide "a better answer.” About an hour later, she provided an amended response.

“I re-watched the video and the congressman just misspoke," she told TPM. "He doesn’t support the birther argument. He just misspoke when he said that. He, however, did not misspeak when he said, 'I do not support this President whatsoever.'"

HAHAHA.

"THE SOURCE IS LYING OUT OF CONTEXT"

::unedited video shown::

"Well, he just misspoke, I swear!"

who cares? As long as they can open with any prayer they want, or no prayer, who cares.

Did you read the rest of the article?

Last year, a federal appeals court ruled that the town of Greece, N.Y., near Rochester, had crossed the line and violated the 1st Amendment's ban on an "establishment of religion." For years, the town supervisor had invited a local minister to deliver an opening prayer at the council's monthly meeting. Members of the audience were encouraged to join in the prayers.

Two residents, one Jewish and one an atheist, had complained for several years that the prayers were offensive and inappropriate. Until they sued in 2008, only Christians had been invited to lead the prayers.

Looked at through the eyes of a "reasonable observer," the town's prayer policy "must be viewed as an endorsement of … a Christian viewpoint," the U.S. 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals said in ruling against the town.

The justices agreed in May to hear the town's appeal this fall.

The case has drawn attention because it could provide the court's conservative majority an opportunity to alter a legal rule that dates to the 1980s and a set of opinions by then-Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. Her decisions said government actions would violate the 1st Amendment if they appeared to "endorse" religion. That rule has been followed in cases saying that government agencies cannot display the Ten Commandments in their buildings or host Nativity scenes at Christmas.

For one, I certainly don't believe there should be prayers at meetings of ANY denomination.

but having said that, I think O'Connor's compromise was the fairest one and I don't want the conservative bloc of the Court to overturn it.

Administration lawyers may hope that by siding with the town, they can head off a more sweeping ruling. The court's conservatives have long wanted to scrap the endorsement standard. They would prefer a rule that schools and local governments may invoke religion and Christianity so long as no unwilling person is forced to join in.

Fuck this, fuck this to high heaven. Scalia and his ilk don't believe that there is peer pressure or silent coercion because he's a fuckwit. The Court may decide to allow prayers back in schools that are solely Christian so long as no one is forced into participating. That is a bullshit thing.

who cares? As long as they can open with any prayer they want, or no prayer, who cares.
It's an intimidation thing. It makes people who don't share in the religion feel unwelcome and uncomfortable, it prevents people from speaking their mind. It's not good for democracy.

Religion is fine. just keep it out of government.

Wilsongt

Oh my God...

the #liberalsgetupsetwhen hashtag

#LiberalsGetUpsetWhen you say a mass murderer should be put to death, but they have no problem with one million abortions every year. #ccot

#LiberalsGetUpsetWhen they discover Sharia law hates atheists more than homosexuals...but will execute either but prolly the atheists first!

#liberalsgetupsetwhen they find out conservatives aren't racist. At all. Racism is one of their main arguments, and it's wrong.

#liberalsgetupsetwhen we remind them Martin Luther King was a Republican pic.twitter.com/xAE2CoVZKF

My mind. My God.

Does any group crave validation more than conservatives? They're so excited about trending worldwide, as if they've won something. As if Obama's low approval ratings mean the American people are "waking up" and agree with conservatism. Shit is hilarious.

Wilsongt

Does any group crave validation more than conservatives? They're so excited about trending worldwide, as if they've won something. As if Obama's low approval ratings mean the American people are "waking up" and agree with conservatism. Shit is hilarious.

They gotta do something to try and stay relevant. I mean, some Americans are beginning to realize that some of them are just bat shit crazy. Probably that bright surge before that candle flickers out.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The irony is that people are upset with Obama over his conservative stances. Not that I expect them to realize that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's because they know deep down, even when they won't admit it to themselves, that they're losing. On almost everything. Gun control should have passed, the sequester shouldn't have gone through, gay marriage should be legal across the US, these are all believed by the majority. In their heart of hearts they know no matter how much they kick and scream that all they can do is slow down the march of progress.

#liberalsgetupsetwhen we remind them Martin Luther King was a Republican pic.twitter.com/xAE2CoVZKF

Conservatives say this a lot, I know MLK criticized both parties but while he never endorsed anyone didn't he say he primarily voted democratic and he voted for Kennedy? Or maybe I'm wrong?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Conservatives say this a lot, I know MLK criticized both parties but while he never endorsed anyone didn't he say he primarily voted democratic and he voted for Kennedy? Or maybe I'm wrong?
It doesn't even matter, because MLK would undoubtably be a Democrat today. Same goes for Lincoln. Republicans feel the need to point to examples from a time when the party was completely different, because it's all they have when it comes to minorities.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It doesn't even matter, because MLK would undoubtably be a Democrat today. Same goes for Lincoln. Republicans feel the need to point to examples from a time when the party was completely different, because it's all they have when it comes to minorities.

Gotta justify the bullshit somehow.

I agree with you, Many past Republicans would be Democrats today and vice versa. Grover Cleveland would probably be a republican today just like Ted Roosevelt, Eisenhower, and Nixon would probably be democrats.

But I guess what I was trying to say about MLK was where did that rumor start? Apparently his father was Republican?

Oblivion

Conservatives love to take any victory they can. A while ago, Cracked had an article that had one section (not even the whole article, just ONE section) which said something mildly positive about the Tea Party, and Breitbart.com had it on the front page all day.

In a letter he wrote to a friend he talked about being unsure of who he will vote for but that he voted democrats in the past. Meanwhie there is no primary source suggesting that mlk voted and/or registered republican.

http://swampland.time.com/2013/08/10/social-conservatives-2016-plea-double-down/
Social Conservatives’ 2016 Plea: Double Down!

Presidential hopefuls and others urge the GOP not to surrender the culture wars

AMES, Iowa — Facing a generational divide that is sapping their relevance, a group of evangelical conservatives argued Saturday that they need to become even more vocal in their support for often unpopular social positions.

“Don’t agree with the establishment Republicans that we have change our policies to be more like Democrats,” former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, who finished the 2012 presidential campaign as the runner-up to Republican nominee Mitt Romney and is contemplating a 2016 campaign, instructed a group of evangelicals gathered here.

But echoing others who said aggressive Democratic political strategies are a model worth emulating for Republicans, Santorum added: “But we do need to change our tactics to be more like Democrats.”

The refrain was a common theme throughout a summit of hundreds of Iowa conservatives organized by the group FAMiLY Leader, featuring a range of activists and politicians, from Santorum and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz to National Organization for Marriage president Brian Brown.

FAMiLY Leader president and CEO Bob Vander Plaats introduced the gathering as an opportunity for local activists to be “empowered” to follow the group’s mission of “leading with principle over politics.” Nearly all were united by the belief that Romney’s campaign shied away from the culture war to its own peril.

“We’re losing this debate not because of politics,” Santorum told the crowd in the half-filled auditorium at Iowa State University, in response to “establishment” Republicans calling on the party to moderate on social issues and, if nothing else, tone down the culture-war rhetoric. “Politics didn’t change the culture. The popular culture changed America.

He added: “For us to sit here and think that somehow we’re going to win this country back politically when the culture continues to show your children when they watch that people like them are weird, people who hold their values are bigoted or hateful — it’s no wonder young people are overwhelmingly are supporting the other side.”

Iowa Rep. Steve King, best known for his outspoken opposition to immigration reform, echoed Santorum’s diagnosis.

“We have faithful Christians in this building today,” he told reporters after his remarks to the crowd. “They are good people. They have been told the meek shall inherit the earth all their life. And all they want to do is raise their families and go to work or run their business and live this wholesome life. That’s what it’s about. And now we have to tell them you’re not going to be able to continue to do that if you don’t step up and fight for the things you believe in.”

Santorum, who recently became CEO of the “family-friendly” EchoLight Studios, lamented conservatives’ inability to get their message across in films and on television.

“In the last 100 years, the worst art has been coming out of the church,” he said. “You as Christians who want to see films, you have to see inferior productions to see something that reaffirms your values. … I say to you, can’t we make God beautiful?”

King called on Republicans to embrace the principle of “righteous anger.”

“Christ didn’t walk into the Temple and go up to the moneychangers and say ‘I want to make sure I don’t hurt your feelings here.’ … He made a whip and ran them out of the temple and dumped their tables over,” King said. “And it was a great example of righteous anger. He didn’t care about hurting their feelings.”

In a letter he wrote to a friend he talked about being unsure of who he will vote for but that he voted democrats in the past. Meanwhie there is no primary source suggesting that mlk voted and/or registered republican.

Ok, thanks. Seems like republicans are trying to hold onto any piece of evidence that he was Republican. lol.

Oblivion

So I’m in Crystal City and I’m buying my groceries…and I noticed everybody was giving that card. They had these huge baskets, and I realized it was the first of the month. But then I’m looking over, and there’s a couple beside me. This guy was built like a brick house. I mean he had muscles all over him. He was in a little tank top and pair of shorts and really nice Nike shoes. And she was standing there, and she was all in shape and she looked like she had just come from a fitness program. She was in the spandex, and you know, they were both physically fit. And they go up in front of me and they pay with that card. Fraud. Absolute 100% all it is is fraud…it’s all over the place. And there you go, to the fact that we shouldn’t be supporting those who won’t work. They’re spending their money someplace.

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2013...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

pigeon

Banned
Can I get some opinions on this:

Blue Cross, Aetna, United, Humana Flee Obamacare Exchanges

Seems like a really dumb decision.

United Health Group's inclusion in that list should make the situation clear, because United is one of the worst health insurers in the country. If your business model revolves around not providing care, and you think the exchanges will force you to actually provide care, it makes sense for you not to participate, but that's not a bad thing about the exchanges -- it's actually a good thing! The only concern is whether there will be markets in which nobody is providing care -- but since that would be leaving money on the table, it's not that likely.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Because it goes against the need for separation of church and state. We already have enough problems with far-right religious nuts being involved with politics and holding back progress on just about everything. This only reinforces their positions.

Ok, thanks. Seems like republicans are trying to hold onto any piece of evidence that he was Republican. lol.

I think it makes sense to assume that MLK Jr. would have voted Republican during the
60's when you really think about it.

United Health Group's inclusion in that list should make the situation clear, because United is one of the worst health insurers in the country. If your business model revolves around not providing care, and you think the exchanges will force you to actually provide care, it makes sense for you not to participate, but that's not a bad thing about the exchanges -- it's actually a good thing! The only concern is whether there will be markets in which nobody is providing care -- but since that would be leaving money on the table, it's not that likely.

While I agree United sucks, as I posted earlier, United not participating in California (which that article is about) is because United has no presence in California so it ain't gonna start now.

Unless they find a new market, undercut the established competition, or make a huge investment, I really can't see any new players in the Californian health market. Kaiser and Anthem are already so huge here.

MLK's niece is a black Republican and loves to go around claiming he was too. His son and wife disagree with her and I'd think they would know better. They also claimed he voted for Kennedy and Johnson, and the only time he waded into politics was to criticize Barry Goldwater.

So there's all that. But yeah, he was a Republican.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom