• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingkitty

That's an excuse. Even he knows that a documentary on Hilary Clinton isn't going to have an affect on 2016 this far out. I'd put money on it being about not wanting to expose the average voter to all the crazy going on in the primary and to keep the hard questions away from their contenders during the primary.

The crazy will still be shown in youtube clips, on other networks, Priebus won't be able to hide the crazy. And at the same time, the debates will be limited to a smaller pool of people, while the Hillary train gets to laugh it up on CNN/NBC/ABC/CBS/Fox maybe even Univision. I just don't see it happening, the negatives outweigh the benefits for Priebus.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I actually would like the democrats to not air their primary debates on CNN either. CNN's love for Clinton in the 2008 primaries was insufferable. They would barely even give Obama the time of day, nonetheless any of the other candidates, unless it was negative. It's so sickening to see big name news outlets with clear agendas try to shape the electoral process and get away with it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The crazy will still be shown in youtube clips, on other networks, Priebus won't be able to hide the crazy. And at the same time, the debates will be limited to a smaller pool of people, while the Hillary train gets to laugh it up on CNN/NBC/ABC/CBS/Fox maybe even Univision. I just don't see it happening, the negatives outweigh the benefits for Priebus.

Yea but it also limits the kinds of questions and number of debates. The more debates the more crazy gets out there, the tougher the questions they worse they'll look. Hilary is going to be the center of attention anyways. Nothing they can do about that so they may as well try to limit the self-inflicted damage done to their own candidates.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It's important to remember that Palin got trashed by the media on an exponential level once she stopped taking interviews from anyone that wasn't Republican friendly.

Brother shared this picture on Facebook

994310_543340359053467_458121495_n.jpg

The comments were worse. Gold standard and bartering.. Lolz.

kingkitty

Yea but it also limits the kinds of questions and number of debates. The more debates the more crazy gets out there, the tougher the questions they worse they'll look. Hilary is going to be the center of attention anyways. Nothing they can do about that so they may as well try to limit the self-inflicted damage done to their own candidates.

I bet money this tactic would backfire, but we'll see what magic Priebus attempts to conjure. Some candidates will find a way to make the Republicans look like a joke no matter what.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Rand Paul will be on The Daily Show this week.

Is Stewart back yet? If not, I hope Oliver twists the screws when it comes to his association with anti-civil rights people (and really his thoughts on civil rights in general) and his plans on closing down much of the government.

No discussion on drone shit, pls.

Is...is that picture really arguing against the idea of decoupled currency?

I... think so?

I mean bringing up inflation rates destroys the whole thing entirely. And spending power is tied to the minimum wage and stagnant wages. But clearly gold is the answer to all our problems.

It amazes me how simplistic the arguments from the right can become without any actual empirical evidence.

East Lake

Share this with your bro Notrollius.

Goiv3Xd.jpg

This is a chart. It says in the past you have lost almost one third of your investment in less than a year for listening to advertisements on conservative talk radio.

For once, I think there will be some serious backlash from the mainstream media if Preibus goes through with this brilliant strategy. The DNC rejected the idea of Fox News hosting the Democratic debates, but they still let the major media outlets host them.

Speaking of which, I completely missed the Democratic debates last time around. Were there any really embarrassing moments with anyone?

If they go through with it, it's going to make the GOP look really bad. The one lever the White House has is cutting access, and they wield that threat very carefully because they know there will be backlash. Don't think comments/opinions about the GOP being opaque won't start erupting on all the news outlets.

GhaleonEB

Share this with your bro Notrollius.

Goiv3Xd.jpg

This is a chart. It says in the past you have lost almost one third of your investment in less than a year for listening to advertisements on conservative talk radio.

Meanwhile, the inflation his image warns about is hovering under 2%.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

I bet money this tactic would backfire, but we'll see what magic Priebus attempts to conjure. Some candidates will find a way to make the Republicans look like a joke no matter what.

Oh I agree 110%, it's a stupid moronic plan but it's exactly the kind of shit Priebus would try. He saw the debates did more harm than good, so he would decide to hold less of them and have them be more controlled. The real solution would be not to ride on the crazy train anymore but that ain't happening.

What's with conservative's obsession with gold anyhow?

I'm guessing this is a Ron Paul thing?

Yep. He started it and everyone seemed to grab hold, especially Glen Beck. He's as much to blame for this shit as Paul.

FyreWulff

What's with conservative's obsession with gold anyhow?

I'm guessing this is a Ron Paul thing?

Because dollars are fiat currency, which people have been convinced fiat = fake, and gold = real.

While ignoring at the same time, gold bars are also a fiat currency. They only have value as long as people give them value. Unless they have some tangible use to you (ie you are a jeweler, or electronics manufacturer) it's only worth anything as long as other people recognize it.

Pretty much "this was the currency we had first, therefore it is the only" even though if you go further back in time, sugar is worth more than gold. And we just sprinkle that fucking shit out on our cereal now like it's nothing.

Tamanon

Banned
Well, if your general belief is that government is wrong and always eventually fails, belief in a currency backed by said government wouldn't make sense.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Pretty much "this was the currency we had first, therefore it is the only" even though if you go further back in time, sugar is worth more than gold. And we just sprinkle that fucking shit out on our cereal now like it's nothing.
In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women!

Tamanon

Banned
Rand Paul is going to be on Daily Show with John Oliver this week. Will be interesting since this is going to be his first actual politician I think. Wonder if he'll try to be a little bit more critical than Jon Stewart usually is.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if your general belief is that government is wrong and always eventually fails, belief in a currency backed by said government wouldn't make sense.

Just another funny little thing about the "government always does it wrong" narrative that's made republican voters no longer want to vote republican. Big business republicans love the concept of the fed and the cheap loans it affords for big business, and possibly even do understand why economists like it too. But how do you explain it to a population who only voted you in expecting you to destroy as much government as possible.

Chichikov

Gold standard controls inflation or something.
This kinda is actually (at least to some degree).
The gold standard makes it hard to inflate the currency, and inflation is generally (and admittedly, at very broad strokes) bad for rich people and good (or at least better) for poor people.
Economic interests aligned pretty similarly when gold vs. silver was debated in the late 19th century and early 20th, even though both are "real currencies".

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
inflation is generally (and admittedly, at very broad strokes) bad for rich people and good (or at least better) for poor people.

How is that?

Generally people with investments gain money with inflation and inflation causes prices to rise people who use the stuff they actually use. That can be evened out by increases in wages(something that isn't happening at the minimum wage level), but I don't see it being lopsided towards benefiting the poor specifically over the rich. Sometimes the government can do things that are both good for the poor and cause inflation, but that's not the same as inflation being good for the poor.

I'm not saying i'm against inflation. Its actually one part of supply side economics that's good for everyone. Inflation means it's always a mistake to be sitting on your money, so it makes you invest and buy things, which causes money circulation, and thus creating jobs and a healthy economy. Rich get richer, poor get jobs, everyone's happy, while deflation makes rich get poorer as their investments lose money and poor lose their jobs as overall demand drops.

I'm just curious why inflation would specifically be good for the poor and bad for the rich. I'd like to know if there's something I didn't think about.

Chichikov

How is that?

Generally people with investments gain money with inflation and inflation causes prices to rise people who use the stuff they actually use. That can be evened out by increases in wages(something that isn't happening at the minimum wage level), but I don't see it being lopsided towards benefiting the poor specifically over the rich. Sometimes the government can do things that are both good for the poor and cause inflation, but that's not the same as inflation being good for the poor.

I'm not saying i'm against inflation. Its actually one part of supply side economics that's good for everyone. Inflation means it's always a mistake to be sitting on your money, so it makes you invest and buy things, which causes money circulation, and thus creating jobs and a healthy economy. Rich get richer, poor get jobs, everyone's happy, while deflation makes rich get poorer as their investments lose money and poor lose their jobs as overall demand drops.

I'm just curious why inflation would specifically be good for the poor and bad for the rich. I'd like to know if there's something I didn't think about.
In general terms, inflation help the debtors and hurt the creditor, now it's true, many creditors try to get around it or insure themselves against such things, but on a macro level*, it still hold true.
Also, the rich holds the majority of the non-inflation indexed assets.

p.s.
I'm not saying it's a proof, but I think by looking at who is obsessed with inflation in our political system (today and historically), you can at least gather some corroborative evidence there.
As Cicero used to say - cui bono?

* And at least on my own micro level it holds super true, my biggest liability is my mortgage which has fixed rate and my salary is effectively indexed to inflation (through competitive compensation), I once ran the numbers of what it would mean to me to have a 10% annual inflation, and man, I would retire early and comfortably. And even though I'm not exactly poor, I think many in the middle class are in a similar financial situation at list in regards to inflation.

pigeon

Banned
How is that?

The aspect you're missing is debt. The rate of inflation can be thought of as the change over time in the ratio of nominal value to real value. The nominal value of a debt is fixed -- therefore, if inflation increases, the real value of the debt must fall. Since inflation is thus bad for debt holders, it's obviously good for debtors -- and poor people are much more likely to be debtors, while rich people are much more likely to be debt holders.

The "banks" that issue these promissory notes are the government (the Federal Reserve). And they do not charge interest for doing so. But even if they did, the Federal Reserve must pay to the Treasury all of its "profit," which is just ultimately a tax on the domestic private sector.

Such ignorance.

Gallbaro

Banned
The aspect you're missing is debt. The rate of inflation can be thought of as the change over time in the ratio of nominal value to real value. The nominal value of a debt is fixed -- therefore, if inflation increases, the real value of the debt must fall. Since inflation is thus bad for debt holders, it's obviously good for debtors -- and poor people are much more likely to be debtors, while rich people are much more likely to be debt holders.

The aspect you're missing is inflation expectations being priced into the cost of debt. It is only when unexpected inflation or deflation occurs that it benefits a party one way or another,

Also when the presses are running in a liquidity trap all that money becomes is excess reserves, beneficial to assets holders not those with liabilities.

The aspect you're missing is inflation expectations being priced into the cost of debt. It is only when unexpected inflation or deflation occurs that it benefits a party one way or another,

Also when the presses are running in a liquidity trap all that money becomes is excess reserves, beneficial to assets holders not those with liabilities.

Not if it's spent fiscally through the treasury rather than through asset swaps through the Fed (which is indeed pointless).

GhaleonEB

Megaton...but does he has the authority to make such a decision? Seems like congress has a say.

The article isn't totally clear, but I came away with the impression there are some things the justice department can do to provide judges more room to interpret when to apply minimum sentencing, among other things. But changing those minimums will require Congress, similar to the bill cited (which from the sponsors might actually have a shot).

Is it really true that one out of THREE African Americans will go to prison (not jail but prison) within their life times?

One in three young black men are under criminal supervision. And not in their lifetime, but right now, which means the likelihood of any given black man being under criminal supervision in his lifetime is even higher:

As the cycle of incarceration and release continues, an ever greater number of young men face prison as an expected marker of adulthood. But the expansive reach of the criminal justice system has not affected all groups equally. More than any other group, African Americans have felt the impact of the prison boom, comprising more than 40 percent of the current prison population while making up just 12 percent of the U.S. population. At any given time, roughly 12 percent of all young black men between the ages of twenty-five and twenty-nine are behind bars, compared to less than 2 percent of white men in the same age group; roughly a third are under criminal justice supervision. Over the course of a lifetime, nearly one in three young black men--and well over half of young black high school dropouts--will spend some time in prison. According to these estimates, young black men are more likely to go to prison than to attend college, serve in the military, or, in the case of high school dropouts, be in the labor market. Prison is no longer a rare or extreme event among our nation’s most marginalized groups. Rather it has now become a normal and anticipated marker in the transition to adulthood.​

http://books.google.com/books?id=f0...h school dropouts"&pg=PA3#v=onepage&q&f=false

One in three young black men are under criminal supervision. And not in their lifetime, but right now, which means the likelihood of any given black man being under criminal supervision in his lifetime is even higher:

As the cycle of incarceration and release continues, an ever greater number of young men face prison as an expected marker of adulthood. But the expansive reach of the criminal justice system has not affected all groups equally. More than any other group, African Americans have felt the impact of the prison boom, comprising more than 40 percent of the current prison population while making up just 12 percent of the U.S. population. At any given time, roughly 12 percent of all young black men between the ages of twenty-five and twenty-nine are behind bars, compared to less than 2 percent of white men in the same age group; roughly a third are under criminal justice supervision. Over the course of a lifetime, nearly one in three young black men--and well over half of young black high school dropouts--will spend some time in prison. According to these estimates, young black men are more likely to go to prison than to attend college, serve in the military, or, in the case of high school dropouts, be in the labor market. Prison is no longer a rare or extreme event among our nation’s most marginalized groups. Rather it has now become a normal and anticipated marker in the transition to adulthood.​

http://books.google.com/books?id=f0...h school dropouts"&pg=PA3#v=onepage&q&f=false
Let me guess, most of it is due to mere possession right?

But Bill Cosby, reverse racism, rap music!

Why do I feel that in one hundred years from now we will look at black incarceration rates and modern segregation as we do with Jim Crow?

Megaton...but does he has the authority to make such a decision? Seems like congress has a say.
Sounds like he's just gonna direct the DOJ not to prosecute people who will be stuck with mandatory minimums. Maybe charge them with a lesser crime?

Under the altered policy, the attorney general said defendants will instead be charged with offenses for which accompanying sentences “are better suited to their individual conduct, rather than excessive prison terms more appropriate for violent criminals or drug kingpins.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom