• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Republicans already on the attack:

Washington Post

America can't have nice things, or try and at least get on the path to doing nice things, because there is another party that just doesn't want to play ball.

"He underestimates the terrorist threat!"

*proceedes to kill many top Al-Qaeda and Taliban agents AND Osama Bin Laden*

Da fuq? Cognitive dissonance to the max

McConnel allowed a D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals appointment through:
So this week, Reid used the Senate rules to provoke a confrontation: Technically he filed cloture on Srinivasan’s nomination, guaranteeing him at least a test vote this week. More meaningfully, he forced McConnell to choose between sustaining a filibuster against Srinivasan through early June (a move that would have helped Reid build his case for changing the rules this summer) and agreeing to a confirmation vote now (effectively caving).

Meanwhile, conservatives are still yelling about the unconstitutionality of Obama's recess appointments, gumming up the works of government and then assailing Obama for trying to un-gum them. (Warning, George Will op-ed not about baseball.)

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
From what I understand, Congress explicitely passed a law related to the closing of GTMO such that the President cannot do it (until Congress passes a law allowing it). I think the law specifies limits on funding for closing it down and limits on what Obama can do with prisoners. Obama can do things around the edges, as the executive manages the prison, but he can't outright close it down.

The language actually prohibits transfer of government money to any state to facilitate transfer of detainees and prohibition of funding to overhaul any building to use for detainment, which was an early plan to rework a standing idle supermax facility in Illinois, I think.

The easiest way around this would be to privately fund the flights to wherever they decide to move the ones we intend to hold forever, since we can't logistically take them to trial, and to use existing supermax facilities to house those we intend to detain forever, some of which we clearly intend to do so with. Over half of the detainees are free to be transferred back to either their home countries or willing third countries. Many of the rest could be tried without much effort, but there are a handful, probably fewer than 20, which we'll never be able to either release, or put on trial, due to the huge amounts of evidence which would be inadmissible due to the way in which it was obtained.

tekumseh

Does anyone even give a shit about Palin in 2013?

There is no greater match made of any kind anywhere in the world than Sarah Palin writing an op-ed for Breitbart News. Colbert's "truthiness" has never had a more apropos coupling...

Tamanon

Banned
The language actually prohibits transfer of government money to any state to facilitate transfer of detainees and prohibition of funding to overhaul any building to use for detainment, which was an early plan to rework a standing idle supermax facility in Illinois, I think.

The easiest way around this would be to privately fund the flights to wherever they decide to move the ones we intend to hold forever, since we can't logistically take them to trial, and to use existing supermax facilities to house those we intend to detain forever, some of which we clearly intend to do so with. Over half of the detainees are free to be transferred back to either their home countries or willing third countries. Many of the rest could be tried without much effort, but there are a handful, probably fewer than 20, which we'll never be able to either release, or put on trial, due to the huge amounts of evidence which would be inadmissible due to the way in which it was obtained.

Another way to circumvent it would be to transfer them to another military facility.

Angry Fork

I hate these blanket statements.
I doubt it.

Poligaf's reputation for Obama nut guzzling is well deserved imo, his personality cult is something else. When I say people who defend 'Obama' I generally mean people who defend republican ideas just because the person advocating them is a democrat.

Why does it seem to me that most of the drone debate,including the al-Alwaki case, people care more that AMERICANS were killed by the Drones (accidental or not) rather than their deaths themselves.

So if they were of Middle Eastern citizenry, than fuck 'em?

No, a global assassination program should not be tolerated whether US citizen or not. But in a world where Gitmo exists, arguing we shouldn't kill US citizens without due process is easier than defending the anonymous brown skinned people. It's unbelievable that it has come this far but yea.

Problem is liberals wouldn't go as far as to end the violence entirely, they don't mind drones because Obama uses them they just want regulations and limits. So many huffpost liberals that comment 'better drones than soldiers', as if you HAVE to have one of them. As if Sweden is putting everything into their military to fight 'imminent threats' against freedom. Is downsizing America and it's place in the world not an option you guys would advocate? Or it doesn't matter how many civilians die as long as we remain #1 super duper empire?

If slavery was still going on modern day liberals would just ask for certain regulations. "Can you treat them a bit better?" "How about 12 hours per day instead of 16?" "Maybe we can get some kind of oversight board committee to determine if these slaves are being fed well enough?"

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Jooney

It's been a part of every NDAA bill since obama became president.

THIS is where congress first put a halt to the plans:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/us/politics/21detain.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

But nice try.

"But nice try"? I wasn't trying to make a point over you. Not sure where that comment is coming from.

Anyway, Thanks for the link. It's dismaying that almost all senate democrats went along with the vote to cut funding. Yet all the blame for not closing the facility lies with Obama.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"But nice try"? I wasn't trying to make a point over you. Not sure where that comment is coming from.

Anyway, Thanks for the link. It's dismaying that almost all senate democrats went along with the vote to cut funding. Yet all the blame for not closing the facility lies with Obama.

People think the president is king.

Voting for your legislators is far more important than your vote for president

Jooney

People think the president is king.

I know, and that frustrates me too. I have had a number of conversations with people I know who feel that Obama has betrayed a campaign promise and that he is a hypocrite for not closing Gitmo. Not many people know that it is a shared responsibility with Congress.

Being the Executive must suck - if Congress doesn't play ball, you get the blame.

East Lake

Poligaf's reputation for Obama nut guzzling is well deserved imo, his personality cult is something else. When I say people who defend 'Obama' I generally mean people who defend republican ideas just because the person advocating them is a democrat.
Maybe you could include gaf nut guzzlers and huff post degenerates in your dissertation somehow.

Arguing against Thin air: Americas Apolergists.

Karakand

Problem is liberals wouldn't go as far as to end the violence entirely, they don't mind drones because Obama uses them they just want regulations and limits. So many huffpost liberals that comment 'better drones than soldiers', as if you HAVE to have one of them. As if Sweden is putting everything into their military to fight 'imminent threats' against freedom. Is downsizing America and it's place in the world not an option you guys would advocate? Or it doesn't matter how many civilians die as long as we remain #1 super duper empire?

If slavery was still going on modern day liberals would just ask for certain regulations. "Can you treat them a bit better?" "How about 12 hours per day instead of 16?" "Maybe we can get some kind of oversight board committee to determine if these slaves are being fed well enough?"

If you haven't read Richard Seymour's The Liberal Defence of Murder you should take a gander.

Just wanted to say that the exchanges for the ACA are going to be much better than many folks think. I work in health care and though the plans I've seen aren't finalized, I was pleasantly surprised. Also talk about A LOT of transperancy and info being provided for the shoppers. The process from what I have seen is quite streamlined and intuitive. I'm much more optimistic today than a week ago.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I wonder if the bridge collapse in Skagit County, Washington will prompt congressional action on investing in infrastructure repairs?

70K structurally deficient bridges. Stuff like this is only a matter of time.

Here's an interesting editorial discussing U.S. infrastructure. It has an unfortunate title given the collapse today, though.

It does merit mentioning that "structurally deficient" doesn't mean "about to collapse;" it means "[requiring] significant maintenance and repair to remain in service, and ... [eventually requiring] major rehabilitation or replacement to address the underlying deficiency." According to the DOT Inspector General, "most bridges that are classified as structurally deficient can continue to serve traffic safely if they are properly inspected, the bridges' maximum load ratings are properly calculated, and, when necessary, the proper maximum weight limits are posted." Additionally, the percentage of bridges classified as "deficient" has been falling for at least a decade, indicating that something is being done about those deficiencies (that or we're building a ton of new bridges). (Final note of interest from the DOT IG statement linked earlier: Only 6,149 (5.3%) of NHS bridges were classified as structurally deficient in 2007. Such bridges, which account for 20% of all bridges monitored by the DOT, carry more than 70% of all bridge traffic.)

tekumseh

This is easily one of the most brain-dead op-eds I've ever read.

And clearly Will seems to have forgotten the 170+ recess appointments that Dubya made during his 8 years as well. I guess it's only a crime if the other side is doing it...

thcsquad

Why does the right hate public transportation?

Because it takes public money and helps people who are more likely to be liberals. They consider it a form of welfare. The whole social nature of taking public transit is an affront to their individualistic ideals, and for a select crazy few the environmental benefit is by itself a detriment to their war on liberals.

They of course forget that the highway system was itself a huge public investment. There is no private transportation infrastructure. If there was, every street would require a toll.

The other problem is that transportation infrastructure by its very nature benefits an economy (be it local, statewide, or even national) as a whole, as opposed to a particular business. So if a private company were to invest in it, they would themselves receive only a small fraction of this benefit, and no sane company would do this. The only entity that can effectively invest in transportation infrastructure is one whose goal is the advancement of the entire local/state economy, or in other words, a government.

Jesus, was all of off topic moved into community?

Anyway, Ive been hearing from friends involved in stock trading that more and more people are getting wary that a bubble is building and going to burst.

The latest stock market rally has almost nothing behind it. Yes, the economy has improved....but not to this extent.

It looks like this summer the dow will be DOUBLE what it was just five years ago....

Im thinking of selling most of my stock this August for the typical september/october black friday bubble burst.

Anyone else worried this will kill democrats because Obama WILL be blamed even though the fault is on the other side?

Gotchaye

Jesus, was all of off topic moved into community?

Anyway, Ive been hearing from friends involved in stock trading that more and more people are getting wary that a bubble is building and going to burst.

The latest stock market rally has almost nothing behind it. Yes, the economy has improved....but not to this extent.

It looks like this summer the dow will be DOUBLE what it was just five years ago....

Im thinking of selling most of my stock this August for the typical september/october black friday bubble burst.

Anyone else worried this will kill democrats because Obama WILL be blamed even though the fault is on the other side?

This is almost nothing?
profits.jpg

Gotchaye

Is that also sustainable?

That's an interesting question, but a "corporate profits bubble" is not a stock bubble. The stock market tracking corporate profits is pretty much doing what it's supposed to do. A rise in share prices doesn't have "almost nothing behind it" if the rise is basically keeping PE ratios constant. One could maybe argue that the market is irrationally expecting continued future growth, but your baseline is the low point five years ago, when obviously the market was irrationally expecting weak performance. Prices don't look to me to be particularly out of line with a long-term trend.

Your post was about how people will realize that stocks are overvalued and prices will plummet. If you're now making the claim that the real bubble is in corporate profits, that seems unlikely. Corporate profits need to take a sudden hit in order for something to happen. What are you predicting, exactly?

That's an interesting question, but a "corporate profits bubble" is not a stock bubble. The stock market tracking corporate profits is pretty much doing what it's supposed to do. A rise in share prices doesn't have "almost nothing behind it" if the rise is basically keeping PE ratios constant. One could maybe argue that the market is irrationally expecting continued future growth, but your baseline is the low point five years ago, when obviously the market was irrationally expecting weak performance. Prices don't look to me to be particularly out of line with a long-term trend.

Your post was about how people will realize that stocks are overvalued and prices will plummet. If you're now making the claim that the real bubble is in corporate profits, that seems unlikely. Corporate profits need to take a sudden hit in order for something to happen. What are you predicting, exactly?

Do you know if the european stock market has followed the lead of the dow?

I dont think you can have an economy with sky high profits when your consumers dont have disposable income to buy your products. And when those sky high profits come from firing people to pad the numbers, thats even worse - see ESPN firing 400 to pad profit lines.

I dont think thats sustainable, and if its not sustainable, the stock price which are based on expectations of future growth are worthless.

Stock prices are always based on the future, never the past. A market of 16,000 today means an expectation that record profits will continue to increase.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Possibly dumb question, but those segments on TDS where one of the correspondents interview some random right-winger, those can't be unscripted, can they? I mean, those guys would realize that they look like retards when they appear on the show, don't they? Surely they realize that TDS is one of the major godless programs in the liberal media, don't they?

LA does have a considerable public health subsidy with the LA Care (which I have, saved my life really) health plan. I think gov brown also shifted health funds from county level to state level.

Dunno much about the details though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom