• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

democratic choice in funding. I mean I'd rather they fund tax credits which people can freely give (or not give) to the candidates they support.

We don't need to be giving to people who don't have support. There's also the question of ballot measures, issue ads, etc

You solve the "giving money to people with no support" with minimum petition signatures to get on a ballot. This way, only candidates who are actually putting effort in can get on the ballot. Also, you have to spend all the money, and any left over goes back to the government.

Metaphoreus said:
Second, TV stations shouldn't be required to run campaign ads if they don't want to. The First Amendment should protect their rights to refuse to run some or all campaign ads.

TV stations are using public spectrum and are already forced to air certain types of programming to maintain access to their use of public spectrum.

Piecake

There's plenty of voices out there supporting things like raising the minimum wage or other labor laws. Both in Washington, and in the public discourse.

Thats really disengenous to basically claim that all policies designed to better the life of the average American is an indication of union influence. I think most people would consider a union perspective to be allowing workers to organize for better conditions and not policies that better the lives of your average American.

As for money and speech, I completely agree with thepotatoman. Well said.

Manarola

Banned
Thats really disengenous to basically claim that all policies designed to better the life of the average American is an indication of union influence. I think most people would consider a union perspective to be allowing workers to organize for better conditions and not policies that better the lives of your average American.

As for money and speech, I completely agree with thepotatoman. Well said.

That's not what I'm claiming. My point is the public discourse has a health representation of views from across the spectrum. So I'm not convinced that money is affecting it like people claim. Union perspectives may not have as big a voice as they used to, because unions are increasingly irrelevant. But many of the policies they support are not lacking in advocacy.

Piecake

That's not what I'm claiming. My point is the public discourse has a health representation of views from across the spectrum. So I'm not convinced that money is affecting it like people claim. Union perspectives may not have as big a voice as they used to, because unions are increasingly irrelevant. But many of the policies they support are not lacking in advocacy.

And at a national level (most states too), those policies are basically dead. That should tell you something about the power balance between worker-centric policies and business.

all_the_prezs_women_v2_rectangular_canvas_pillow.jpg
benghazi_what_difference_does_it_shower_curtain.jpg
obama_benghazi_order_calendar_print.jpg

This isn't true. And no union policies aren't lacking in advocacy and your quite naive if you can't connect the downfall of unions and a concerted effort by business for a PR campaign funded by outside groups to interfere in union elections. See the Tenn example

I said that it enabled "challenges by candidates who might not satisfy whatever government-imposed standard would regulate exclusive public financing," which "permits voters to be exposed to more political perspectives and to choose among more candidates." But that's not to say that in any given country without private financing, the "debate" is "closed off." That may be true, but I wouldn't want to make that assertion without empirical evidence to support it.

Of course, ironically, in most other First World nations, there are far more choices of opinion that have chances to effect policy and political situations in countries that limit donations, as opposed to the US, where public policy on a national scale is limited between the very conservative edges of the center-left and the far-right.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
It's justified by things like that report about how the government only truly listens to the donor class and doesn't give a crap about anything else.

I don't remember the specifics of that report. Did it address political donors as a class at all?

Alright, heres a simpler poll where 79% think campaign contributions should be limited:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163208/half-support-publicly-financed-federal-campaigns.aspx

This isn't about obscure intellectual courtroom details that few people fully grasp, but a fundamental belief that the amount of money one person has should not dictate the amount of influence one has on the political process.

OK. But those "obscure intellectual courtroom details" nevertheless impose real limits on what the government can do, regardless of popular opinion.

It doesn't take a genius to see that outcome leads to some people having more free speech than others based solely on what nonpolitical class they're in.

No one has "more free speech" than anyone else. Some people may speak more than others, but the capacity to speak to one's heart's content is part of what is meant by "freedom of speech." I don't see a problem where a handful of people are able to afford more or different kinds of speech than others, but I also don't assume that the masses are mindless robots that spit out reliable voting behaviors based on what speech they receive.

Free speech is all about protecting political ideas in a democracy loving society.

Free speech is all about free speech. It may be critical to a democracy, but it's not about democracy. It isn't subordinated to democracy.

To say a rich person can use money to drown out a poor person's idea instead of using his own ideas is antithetical to free speech.

No, it isn't. But, more importantly, "free speech" is not a right that the government enforces--it is a right against government enforcement. I can't demand that the government silence a speaker who gets more attention than me, regardless of the reason that speaker gets more attention than me.

I mean, in a just world, would Cliven Bundy really get more attention than me? Are his ideas really that much better than mine?

There isn't much room for debate when a handfull of individuals can drown out the message of millions.

The First Amendment provides that "Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech." It doesn't say, "Congress can regulate political debate." Whether the Constitutional prohibition on Congress leaves adequate "room for debate" is an interesting question, but it's not a question that courts are called upon to answer in interpreting the limits imposed by the Constitution.

Using the analogy comparing money to speech... If we're standing next to each other, and I'm speaking with a normal voice, and you're using a megaphone, guess whose message is going to be heard?

Congress isn't empowered to regulate speech so that debate is optimal or so that every voice is heard. The freedom of speech doesn't entail the right to shut others up or limit how much they may speak.

The act of donating money, or spending money, can be a form of expression, yes. But that doesn't mean we can't restrict how much is spent, what it's spent on, when it's spent, who spends, or what disclosures have to be made about the spending.

Yes, that's exactly what it means. Or, rather, it means that the government is itself limited in establishing such restrictions. Some such restrictions are completely invalid under the First Amendment, but others are permissible.

For instance, just because making noise is a form of expression doesn't mean we can't have laws against disturbing the peace

We're not talking about disturbing the peace. If you want a law that says the Koch brothers can't drive through a residential area at 3 AM blaring campaign commercials, I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with you saying the Koch brothers can't spend as much of their money as they wish in an attempt to speak to as many people as they can.

Of course, ironically, in most other First World nations, there are far more choices of opinion that have chances to effect policy and political situations in countries that limit donations, as opposed to the US, where public policy on a national scale is limited between the very conservative edges of the center-left and the far-right.

Give me an example.

I'm not being "smug." I'm being realistic. Most people don't understand the significance of Citizens United. I wish they did, and I wish they understood the rationale underlying the opinion. It would make the public debate around the decision much more thoughtful.

They understand the rationale behind the decision, your deference to the mental loopdeloops the justices tried to justify their proposition doesn't make it correct.

If those are the only options, I guess I'll go with malice.
So do I!

Well, that's just the nature of balancing tests.
I'd love for you to justify how it passes balancing tests on these ridiculous sums of money

Nonsense. If a person gives a candidate more than the limits imposed, it isn't necessarily because the person intends to procure some personal benefit in exchange or even to influence the candidate's performance in office if elected. You're just redefining "bribe" to mean whatever you want it to mean, which isn't persuasive to me.
LOLOLOL putting money to support a candidate isn't because he wants a personal benefit? Why is he giving money?

We let people own domain names and restrict their usage, don't we? Why treat radio frequencies differently?
Because domain names is language construct not a physical reality. I don't know if your joking

I don't understand this criticism. Must the law enhance the position of a poor person to protect him the same as it protects a rich person?
Its not "protecting" a poor person. They have nothing. Their houses and property is worth nothing (much of the time they don't own anything).

Let's talk specifics. Which country that prohibits private campaign contributions in favor of public financing would you like me to consider?
I've not argued for eliminated donations, just limiting them and restrictions on independent expenditures.

Manarola

Banned
This isn't true. And no union policies aren't lacking in advocacy and your quite naive if you can't connect the downfall of unions and a concerted effort by business for a PR campaign funded by outside groups to interfere in union elections. See the Tenn example

I don't know if that was a typo, but anyways what caused the downfall of unions isn't really relevant here. People are still advocating for worker policies without the massive union influence.

I obviously meant attempts to increase it. They go nowhere

I don't agree they are going nowhere. States across the country have been increasing them this year, and more are discussing it. And it's not totally dead at the federal level either. A lot of conservative, corporate types complain that their proposals go nowhere too, you know. You guys aren't special.

No one has "more free speech" than anyone else. Some people may speak more than others, but the capacity to speak to one's heart's content is part of what is meant by "freedom of speech." I don't see a problem where a handful of people are able to afford more or different kinds of speech than others, but I also don't assume that the masses are mindless robots that spit out reliable voting behaviors based on what speech they receive.

Reading this, its pointless arguing with you, you refuse to see reality. You've pretty much denied psychology and reality with that last sentence.

I don't know if that was a typo, but anyways what caused the downfall of unions isn't really relevant here. People are still advocating for worker policies without the massive union influence.

Of course it is.

AntoneM

The networks aren't state actors attempting to take private property through eminent domain. The government, under the scenario envisioned, is.

The government doesn't need eminent domain with respect to the braodcast spectrum since the government owns it. Under your thinking the government would have to negotiate to cover a networks ad revenue losses when it runs an emergency broadacst.

Free speech is all about free speech. It may be critical to a democracy, but it's not about democracy. It isn't subordinated to democracy.

A conservative supporter of substantive due process!

In point of fact, it is not the least bit controversial that even fundamental liberties can be denied to protect compelling social interests. I fully support limiting the speech of some or enhancing the speech of others to promote speech diversity, which I view as a vital public interest. You said that you did not the government in the business of "figuring out who qualifies for the public funding," but we already have a system in which people make decisions about what speech will be amplified, e.g., media owners, executives and editors. I'd rather an elected government regulate our democracy than leave it up to the whims of a narrow ruling economic class.

Piecake

I don't agree they are going nowhere. States across the country have been increasing them this year, and more are discussing it. And it's not totally dead at the federal level either. A lot of conservative, corporate types complain that their proposals go nowhere too, you know. You guys aren't special.

Thats why I specifically stated that its dead at the federal level and most states. I never said that conservative/corporatist interests get everything they want. I will say that there has been a clear trend since about 1980 where policies benefiting corporations and the rich are being adopted at the expense of polices meant to help the poor and middle class.

Nonsense. If a person gives a candidate more than the limits imposed, it isn't necessarily because the person intends to procure some personal benefit in exchange or even to influence the candidate's performance in office if elected. You're just redefining "bribe" to mean whatever you want it to mean, which isn't persuasive to me.
Not to wad into the middle of this discussion, but that's an extremely naive viewpoint. All donation to political candidates, at some level, are in some way motivated by a "return on investment." At the most basic level, the expectation that the politician in question will support the same policies you support.

Manarola

Banned
Not to wad into the middle of this discussion, but that's an extremely naive viewpoint. All donation to political candidates, at some level, are in some way motivated by a "return on investment." At the most basic level, the expectation that the politician in question will support the same policies you support.

There's actually a famous paper on this question from about a decade ago:

http://web.mit.edu/jdefig/www/papers/invest_or_consumpt.pdf

Would be interesting to get an updated study

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

No it doesn't.

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815443

This is a "news" channel. A channel with millions of viewers. They're discussing climate change. On one side of the aisle you have a scientist. On the other, you have an economist for the Heritage Foundation.

Why is an economist from the heritage foundation talking about science and being given a platform for this on a news network? Would you invite a software engineer to discuss anthropology? A mathematician to discuss surgery?

This isn't healthy. It's toxic.

Manarola

Banned
No it doesn't.

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815443

This is a "news" channel. A channel with millions of viewers. They're discussing climate change. On one side of the aisle you have a scientist. On the other, you have an economist for the Heritage Foundation.

Why is an economist from the heritage foundation talking about science and being given a platform for this on a news network? Would you invite a software engineer to discuss anthropology? A mathematician to discuss surgery?

This isn't healthy. It's toxic.

Sadly, this is a reflection of how stupid our country is when it comes to science. Like it or not, we have to co-exist with the millions of Americans who don't know shit about climate change. I just think that the cause-effect is not going in the direction you think - I think it's the other way, or at least its mixed. I haven't watched the video yet though.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
House Speaker John Boehner, answering a question earlier on Thursday about whether he believes the GOP should continue fundraising off Benghazi:

Our focus is on getting the answers to those families who lost their loved ones, period.

Not much of an answer, so a reporter asked the speaker the same question again. His response:

Our focus, our focus is getting the truth for these four families and for the American people.

And then again, the same question—and the same answer:

Our focus is on getting the truth for the American people and these four families.

Dat discipline.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Man, with such a completely rigid, literal use of freedom of speech, I'd guess you are probably for calling obscenity, threats, and incitement protected as well. Maybe even throw in classified information if you're going to try to explain away everything with an argument that free speech is free speech end of discussion.

The reasonings for the spirit of free speech is pretty much the exact same as the spirit of democracy. Sure free speech is not completely about government democracy, for instance I should be able to say any opinion about any corporation or artist that I want, but the concept of the marketplace of ideas is where both democracy and freedom of speech was born.

No, it isn't. But, more importantly, "free speech" is not a right that the government enforces--it is a right against government enforcement. I can't demand that the government silence a speaker who gets more attention than me, regardless of the reason that speaker gets more attention than me.

That's why I threw in "at least in concept, if not constitutional law" at the end. I'm obviously not saying the constitution requires financial limitations, but I would say any law passed which enhances the spirit of the free speech probably doesn't count as a violation of free speech.

I don't remember the specifics of that report. Did it address political donors as a class at all?

You know what I mean. The rich class and the group of donors that politicians listen to are both one in the same. That's why I like using the term "donor class". I don't know what term the study uses but I think donor class gets the point across really well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
is this still hard to do?

I can't imagine it's very easy. Tested had a thing on it a while back, they tried to work a Bit Coin exchange machine. From the look of it even if they had done everything right from the start there are a bunch of fees involved in turning a bit coin into cash. They lost like $50 turning money into Bit Coin and back, just from fees alone.

Wilsongt

Will every negative foreign event from now to election day in 2016 be retroactively Hilary's fault?

Yes. Consider it six degrees of separation from Hilary Clinton.

Problems in Syria? Hilary
Price of oil up? Hilary
North Korea about to test a nuke? Hilary

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wow, this guy sucks at symbolism. Also an insult to the 9/11 victims and their families.

Ramirez is too stupid to live. I have no idea how he gets out of bed in the morning without falling out the 3rd story window of a one-story building.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
CHEEZMO™;111209047 said:
Reminder that Ramirez has two Pulitzers. Do you? QED, lieberals
nPGcb7K.gif

For what? Rampant stupidity? I wasn't aware that they gave Pulitzers out for being a dumb ass.

Metaphoreus

They understand the rationale behind the decision, your deference to the mental loopdeloops the justices tried to justify their proposition doesn't make it correct.

In my experience, many misunderstand that Citizens United (1) did not concern corporate personhood, (2) did not depend on the notion that "money is speech," and (3) concerned independent expenditures, not campaign contributions.

I'd love for you to justify how it passes balancing tests on these ridiculous sums of money

There's no inconsistency in saying that independent expenditures should not be restricted but contributions should be. The "balancing test" I referred to is the one employed by the Court--balancing the First Amendment interests in each case against the government's interests in each case (such as the interest in preventing corruption or the appearance of corruption). The amount of independent expenditures doesn't really affect that test, in my (and the Court's) view.

LOLOLOL putting money to support a candidate isn't because he wants a personal benefit? Why is he giving money?

Civic participation, dude wants the candidate to win, dude wants to register his support for the candidate publicly; there are many non-corrupt reasons to contribute money to a political campaign. Those non-corrupt reasons don't vanish at some arbitrarily defined contribution limit.

Because domain names is language construct not a physical reality. I don't know if your joking

I don't think that's a relevant distinction. The owner of a radio frequency would have the right to broadcast on--and the right to exclude others from broadcasting on--that particular frequency. The owner wouldn't own the waves traveling through the air. In that regard, the frequency is akin to a domain name. NeoGAF LLC has the right to publish content on--and the right to exclude others from publishing content on--neogaf.com. But it doesn't "own" the intertubes or the nets passing through them.

Its not "protecting" a poor person. They have nothing. Their houses and property is worth nothing (much of the time they don't own anything).

I still don't understand the sense in which you're using "protecting." If poor people are entitled to the FMV of their property upon the government seizing their property through eminent domain--and they are--then they are protected by the Takings Clause.

I've not argued for eliminated donations, just limiting them and restrictions on independent expenditures.

OK, but we were talking about what I said, which was that campaign contributions contribute to the democratic process. I suggested two ways in which that's true. Then you demanded that I account for the democratic process in other nations. Was that for nothing?

Reading this, its pointless arguing with you, you refuse to see reality. You've pretty much denied psychology and reality with that last sentence.

This isn't helpful. If you think I've "pretty much denied psychology and reality," in what way do you think so? You should at least point me to the resources on which you base your conclusion.

In point of fact, it is not the least bit controversial that even fundamental liberties can be denied to protect compelling social interests.

Government interests. Society itself has a compelling interest in protecting the speech rights of its members against infringement by the government. You're talking about when the government's interests permit the government to override those rights.

I fully support limiting the speech of some or enhancing the speech of others to promote speech diversity, which I view as a vital public interest.

And I don't think the government should have any say at all in whether one perspective has been too vigorously or too often expressed.

[W]e already have a system in which people make decisions about what speech will be amplified, e.g., media owners, executives and editors. I'd rather an elected government regulate our democracy than leave it up to the whims of a narrow ruling economic class.

We're not talking about regulating democracy. We're talking about regulating speech. I'd rather leave such regulation to those who wish to themselves engage in speaking than to those who wish only to silence others. And I don't think the "ruling economic class" that makes "decisions about what speech will be amplified" is anywhere near as narrow as you suggest. It's certainly not as narrow as the ruling political class consisting of 536 elected individuals (subject to competition only once every 2, 4, or 6 years) that you wish to entrust our speech rights to.

Man, with such a completely rigid, literal use of freedom of speech, I'd guess you are probably for calling obscenity, threats, and incitement protected as well. Maybe even throw in classified information if you're going to try to explain away everything with an argument that free speech is free speech end of discussion.

Perhaps you can stick to the present discussion rather than flailing about with red herrings? And I'd rather have a "rigid, literal use of freedom of speech" than relegate myself to basing an argument on the mysterious "spirit of free speech."
SpooOOOooOOOOoooOOOky.

Sure free speech is not completely about government democracy, for instance I should be able to say any opinion about any corporation or artist that I want,

You misunderstand me. When I say, "free speech is not subordinate to democracy," I don't mean that "you can speak freely about anything, even non-political topics." I mean that a speaker doesn't have to justify his speech by reference to democratic ideals. He may speak freely even if his speech could be considered destructive of democratic ideals.

I'm obviously not saying the constitution requires financial limitations, but I would say any law passed which enhances the spirit of the free speech probably doesn't count as a violation of free speech.

But the Constitution doesn't say, "Congress can pass laws enhancing the spirit of free speech." It says "Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech." "Free speech" is not a sword to be wielded by government in shutting people up, it's a shield to be used against government when it tries to shut people up.

You know what I mean. The rich class and the group of donors that politicians listen to are both one in the same. That's why I like using the term "donor class". I don't know what term the study uses but I think donor class gets the point across really well.

I love it when people say, "You know what I mean." Usually, I do know what you mean, and that's why I replied as I did. I only remember bits and pieces of that study you referred to, but I don't remember any discussion separating individuals into groups of donors and non-donors. If my memory is right, that study is completely irrelevant to your argument.

I think that's a stretch. I think that, more likely, donors provide donations because the politician supports the same policies as the donor, not as an inducement for the politician to do so. I imagine that the only "return on investment" most political donors hope for is that the donee win the election.

Chichikov

Hey man, I usually try not to comment too much on posting style, we all have our own way to articulate our though, but can I give you an advice/request? (and feel free to ignore/tell me to fuck myself).

That fragmented quote breakdown style (some call it fisking, but I think its a bit of a misuse of that term) makes for a very tedious, hard to follow and unfocused discussion.
Yeah, sometime you want to break a long quote for readability purposes, especially if it deals with unrelated issues, but when you're looking at a double digit sections count, readability is usually already long long gone.
It is usually possible to address several points in a single unbroken post, and more broadly, not every letter posted by anyone has to be addressed, and I think trying to crystallize your argument into its essential core is a good exercise that tend to lead to a more persuasive text.

And I'm not trying to shut you up or anything, quite the opposite actually, I think poligaf need as many diverse voices as it can get and I personally usually enjoy arguing with you, but damn, I see a post like that and I'm like - "well fuck that, I'm going to go look for more pictures where sippy cupp totally doesn't look like a porn star".

Metaphoreus

Hey man, I usually try not to comment too much on posting style, we all have our own way to articulate our though, but can I give you an advice/request? (and feel free to ignore/tell me to fuck myself).

That fragmented quote breakdown style (some call it fisking, but I think its a bit of a misuse of that term) makes for a very tedious, hard to follow and unfocused discussion.
Yeah, sometime you want to break a long quote for readability purposes, especially if it deals with unrelated issues, but when you're looking at a double digit sections count, readability is usually already long long gone.
It is usually possible to address several points in a single unbroken post, and more broadly, not every letter posted by anyone has to be addressed, and I think trying to crystallize your argument into its essential core is a good exercise that tend to lead to a more persuasive text.

And I'm not trying to shut you up or anything, quite the opposite actually, I think poligaf need as many diverse voices as it can get and I personally usually enjoy arguing with you, but damn, I see a post like that and I'm like - "well fuck that, I'm going to go look for more pictures where sippy cupp totally doesn't look like a porn star".

You can't fool me. I know what this is about.

Your screen resolution is too high. Yeah, you need a lower resolution so it looks like each sentence takes up several lines. Don't pin your HD troubles on me, bro.

I agree with you, and generally dislike that format. But it's the quickest way to respond, and sometimes I don't want to write complete paragraphs.

Sibylus

Banned
You can't fool me. I know what this is about.

Your screen resolution is too high. Yeah, you need a lower resolution so it looks like each sentence takes up several lines. Don't pin your HD troubles on me, bro.

I agree with you, and generally dislike that format. But it's the quickest way to respond, and sometimes I don't want to write complete paragraphs.
I've found just making notation in the quote body (ie a, b, c) and response to be a lot more readable (not to mention easier to write) if you want to address individual points.

In my experience, many misunderstand that Citizens United (1) did not concern corporate personhood, (2) did not depend on the notion that "money is speech," and (3) concerned independent expenditures, not campaign contributions.
I might concede (3) but the other two are factually wrong. The case didn't invent the concepts but said A) corporations have 1st amendment rights for 'political speech' and 2) it relied on the buckely v valeo precident which did state as such. Your distinction saying that their not saying money is speech but restricting spending is limiting speech is a ridiculously pedantic distinction and has no real world difference.

You take buckely to be sacrosanct, most voters if informed about that probably wouldn't agree with it. Citizen United is attacked for much of the rational in that decision.

There's no inconsistency in saying that independent expenditures should not be restricted but contributions should be. The "balancing test" I referred to is the one employed by the Court--balancing the First Amendment interests in each case against the government's interests in each case (such as the interest in preventing corruption or the appearance of corruption). The amount of independent expenditures doesn't really affect that test, in my (and the Court's) view.
Yes there is. And again I'd like to see you argue with a straight face the government doesn't have a good interest in regulating these giant sums of money. It gives at least the 'appearance of corruption'. Do you really deny that?

Civic participation, dude wants the candidate to win, dude wants to register his support for the candidate publicly; there are many non-corrupt reasons to contribute money to a political campaign. Those non-corrupt reasons don't vanish at some arbitrarily defined contribution limit.
Why does he want him to win? I'm gonna guess because he wants his policy enacted.

I don't think that's a relevant distinction. The owner of a radio frequency would have the right to broadcast on--and the right to exclude others from broadcasting on--that particular frequency. The owner wouldn't own the waves traveling through the air. In that regard, the frequency is akin to a domain name. NeoGAF LLC has the right to publish content on--and the right to exclude others from publishing content on--neogaf.com. But it doesn't "own" the intertubes or the nets passing through them.
You do realize there is a limit on the spectrum? There is no such limit on domain names. The comparison is absurd, your position on this is absurd. Your an apologist for rich people owning the electromagnetic spectrum and limiting peoples use of it with no democratic control. The position is radical and scary.

I still don't understand the sense in which you're using "protecting." If poor people are entitled to the FMV of their property upon the government seizing their property through eminent domain--and they are--then they are protected by the Takings Clause.
Let me put it this way. Its limited to property owners. Poor people don't own much property. I'm not saying that it doesn't 'protect' poor people if they do own property I'm arguing that in the real world it doesn't help them. It helps rich people.

OK, but we were talking about what I said, which was that campaign contributions contribute to the democratic process. I suggested two ways in which that's true. Then you demanded that I account for the democratic process in other nations. Was that for nothing?
You claimed that monetary contributions open the debate, I claimed other nations which limited campaign donations don't have a limited debate. Your assertion was pull from no where.

This isn't helpful. If you think I've "pretty much denied psychology and reality," in what way do you think so? You should at least point me to the resources on which you base your conclusion.
Your disbelieve that mass marketing works that flooding the airwaves with one view point doesn't change peoples vote. Your denying basic psych 101 and assuming voters have information they're not guaranteed to have.

I think that's a stretch. I think that, more likely, donors provide donations because the politician supports the same policies as the donor, not as an inducement for the politician to do so. I imagine that the only "return on investment" most political donors hope for is that the donee win the election.
Let you in on a secret, that isn't true. Politicians change their views to suit their donors. You can deny it but I've seen it. It happens

Its not like there are examples: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/lindsey-graham-sheldon-adelson-internet-gambling-104825.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom