• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
BnDDWMuCQAAP5LT.jpg:large

Libertarian Magazines know their market
(not my picture)

Games every libertarian must play

http://reason.com/archives/2014/05/07/video-games-every-libertarian

Bioshock: Players fight their way through the ruins of an Art Deco underwater city set up as a kind of sci-fi anarchist utopia—where biological modification is plentiful, looters are treated as scum, and the pursuit of individual desire and accomplishment is considered life’s most noble goal. The villain is clearly intended as a riff on Ayn Rand’s super-individualists, but in a mid-game twist, he shows he’s not simply a bad guy. The revelation elevates Bioshock from satirical, action-driven homage to Rand into a clever riff on the perception of individual freedom and the nature of choice.
lol

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Jimmy's a coddled white male from a well-off family who does jack shit and blames everything but himself for his problems and failures. So it's about right tbh.

My theory is that the modern libertarian/conservative movement is based on America's collective contempt for each other. "Fuck you got mine and I worked hard for where I am" is just an extension of "Everyone is an idiot/sheep and I'm the only one who's really thought out life."

It's always about one upping one another and trying to bring others down. Most of opposition for raising the minimum wage from most working class/middle class people is based on people's refusal to believe they're getting duped and exploited as much as the worker at McDonald's is imo.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
CHEEZMO™;111035368 said:
Jimmy's a coddled white male from a well-off family who does jack shit and blames everything but himself for his problems and failures. So it's about right tbh.

On the other hand, he doesn't take himself far too seriously nor does he unironically wear a (poorly-fitting) suit outside of weddings/funerals/job interviews and neither is he a thinly-veiled white supremacist so it's hardly 100% spot on.

East Lake

My theory is that the modern libertarian/conservative movement is based on America's collective contempt for each other. "Fuck you got mine and I worked hard for where I am" is just an extension of "Everyone is an idiot/sheep and I'm the only one who's really thought out life."

It's always about one upping one another and trying to bring others down. Most of opposition for raising the minimum wage from most working class/middle class people is based on people's refusal to believe they're getting duped and exploited as much as the worker at McDonald's is imo.
Speaking of Tony Blair, I don't know anything about him but I always loved this clip. vimeo.com/75784765#t=53m44s

Part where he's heading the soccer ball back and forth lol.

Chichikov

im pretty sure you can sum up bioshock 1's story as "fuck libertarians."

bioshock 1 was a good game
Yes you can and indeed it was.
And unlike Bioshock Infinite (which I think was an even better game) it didn't pussied out halfway through.

p.s.
I have to say though, I always found the "super serial musing on the nature gaming" part of these games to be rather silly.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Yes you can and indeed it was.
And unlike Bioshock Infinite (which I think was an even better game) it didn't pussied out halfway through.

p.s.
I have to say though, I always found the "super serial musing on the nature gaming" part of these games to be rather silly.

I think the negative reaction to the mid-point wishy washy liberalism in Infinite was the reason for something that happens in the DLC.

Chichikov

CHEEZMO™;111041218 said:
I think the negative reaction to the mid-point wishy washy liberalism in Infinite was the reason for something that happens in the DLC.
You have piqued my interest good sir.
I really should get around playing the DLCs, are they any good?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That Bioshock thing reminds me when conservatives tried to gloat about how the Hunger Games popularity proves people hate big government.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
You have piqued my interest good sir.
I really should get around playing the DLCs, are they any good?

No idea! I haven't played them myself but I was watching some stupid list videos on youtube and in the Beyond the Sea one one of the points is the reasoning behind the whole child murder jazz. It was a meh sorta-retcon way to weasel out imo but what do I know.

Chichikov

CHEEZMO™;111042622 said:
No idea! I haven't played them myself but I was watching some stupid list videos on youtube and in the Beyond the Sea one one of the points is the reasoning behind the whole child murder jazz. It was a meh sorta-retcon way to weasel out imo but what do I know.
Well fuck that, I was hoping for a "take revenge on whitey" level.

Watching All In.

So the Kochs are now funneling ridiculous sums of money into local tax issues. We're screwed until we tackle these groups. The are cartoon villain level

RedSwirl

Okay so I was in North Carolina for a bit and I guess there's some kind of congressional or senatorial race going on down there or something (is this for the primaries? I haven't seen any such ads up here in Virginia.), because I got to see for the first time some adds for some of these "down home" conservative candidates. I guess I'd never seen election ads televised this far south before.

To me, the guys on the conservative side of these ads basically look like everyday people who somehow got the ability to enter politics. Their ideas seem much more about what they believe personally, or what their community believes, than the actual tides of politics. Also saw some open animosity towards "Washington," as if DC is out of touch with what's going on in the rest of the country. One attack ad attacked a guy simply because he's a trial lawyer.

Lastly, one guy (don't remember his name) based his whole add on saying "I'm the conservative candidate." I guess that kind of thing relies on the entire community already being conservative.

Chichikov

Bioshock Infinite starts something like this, but it turns horrible like the rest of the game in the second half.
Plot wise it was disappointing no doubt, and the end, was clever yet try to play it deep and profound, but I still really enjoyed the gameplay, art, and music very much. All in all, I really like the game.
And hey, anything that get people to google wounded knee is a-okay in my book (although speaking of missed opportunities, damn, they missed a great one with the boxer rebellion).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Does anyone know how many investigations took place after the first 9/11 (you know, the less important one)? Checking the wiki page for 9/11, it says only 3 investigations, one from the FBI, one from the CIA, and the 9/11 commission report:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks#Investigations

I wouldn't be surprised if the actual number was much lower than BENGHAZI! (tm), but three investigations sound pretty damn paltry regardless.

Drakeon

Watching All In.

So the Kochs are now funneling ridiculous sums of money into local tax issues. We're screwed until we tackle these groups. The are cartoon villain level
Fucking citizens united man :( This all started because of our ridiculous Supreme Court.

FyreWulff

We just need to go to publically funded elections already. Jesus

You get X amount of money, TV stations are obligated to run an ad for each qualifying candidate in matching amounts each day (they're paid operating costs to air the ad by the state/city) and those ads have a fixed budget.

The election becomes much more fair - average joes can run against millionaires, you can't spray an area with PAC ads resulting in an arms race.

You get on the ballot with a minimum number of voters signing a petition to put you on the ballot, so the parties no longer run elections that re-elect themselves.

Maybe I'm just blowing hot air

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We just need to go to publically funded elections already. Jesus

You get X amount of money, TV stations are obligated to run an ad for each qualifying candidate in matching amounts each day (they're paid operating costs to air the ad by the state/city) and those ads have a fixed budget.

The election becomes much more fair - average joes can run against millionaires, you can't spray an area with PAC ads resulting in an arms race.

You get on the ballot with a minimum number of voters signing a petition to put you on the ballot, so the parties no longer run elections that re-elect themselves.

Maybe I'm just blowing hot air

Honestly I've thought the same thing numerous times. It would probably be better but it would never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom