• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Lake

Well I'll just quote you here and other people can decide whether you're serious or not.

benjipwns said:
How seriously can I take an internet political debate, in particular with that segment of PoliGAF?

They read the bore gaf thread?
QhBAAqB.jpg

He got you there
iIC87.png

benjipwns

Banned
Well I'll just quote you here and other people can decide whether you're serious or not.
Why would anyone take any political debate seriously, especially on the internet? It accomplishes only slightly more than voting does.

Not to accuse others of taking the debate seriously, since they weren't either.

benjipwns

Banned
What is it that you're doing exactly then if you're posts aren't serious?
Is every single post you make 100% serious in tone and intent. I mean let's be serious here, blatant sarcasm mocking the ludicrous position of the prosecutor and his supporters is not malicious, is not a caricature and is not trolling.

Neither is finding political debates to be generally non-serious endeavors, something I already admitted to within this thread when I stated:
always knew nobody would agree even though I find such debate enlightening

Especially when one of the people in the debate has already stated to my recollection, rightly or wrongly, that all rights derive from the font of society. So notions like "freedom of speech" are unworthy of consideration, etc.

That doesn't mean I don't find discussion and debate with EV to be something other than entertaining and occasionally enlightening. (When he's not just going through the motions.)

East Lake

I don't think sarcasm itself is the problem. The problem is I and probably others genuinely do not know when you have a serious position and when you don't. And as you said PoliGAF debate seems to you to be a waste. Can't blame anybody for thinking you're here to troll.

Today is a bad day to be a liberal. My twitter feed is dominated by ThinkProgress types who clearly never watched a minute of football, proselytizing about how shameful it is that Michael Sam was drafted so low. I'm glad the guy got drafted but let's be real: he's undersized and slow. Being good in college doesn't mean you'll be good in the NFL.

benjipwns

Banned
I didn't imply it either.

Unless the phrases "enlightening" and "entertaining" mean "a waste" like "government" means "society" and "other people."

benjipwns

Banned
I said that before you quoted it (and before I posted it) and said and implied nothing of the kind in it.

Who in their right mind takes political debate as something serious? I would be insane if I thought I could make a single person in PoliGAF give up supporting coercive violence against their follow man by discussing it for a few hours with two and a half people.

Politics in general is a farce, taking it seriously as anything beyond an intellectual exercise is probably bad for your health.

I said that before you quoted it (and before I posted it) and said and implied nothing of the kind in it.

Who in their right mind takes political debate as something serious? I would be insane if I thought I could make a single person in PoliGAF give up supporting coercive violence against their follow man by discussing it for a few hours with two and a half people.

Politics in general is a farce, taking it seriously as anything beyond an intellectual exercise is probably bad for your health.

than why the hell are you here? take your political nihilism somewhere else. Most people here generally want to discuss things not have you pontificate about how politics doesn't matter. if you want to contribute, contribute but don't troll or be a character all the damn time

would you go into the gaming side and infest every thread with nonsense about how gaming is just a hobby? the pop gaf thread with stuff about staning being a waste of time? wrassle-gaf with posts about it being fake? its annoying

and yes, discussions on here do lead places. I've changed opinions after reading people explain theirs.

East Lake

I mean serious in that you're posting what you believe. Like when benjipwns posts X he seriously believes X. Not that when you go home you cry because the debate didn't go well and politics suck. Right now it looks like you're taking contrarian positions to piss off people in the thread and I genuinely do not know what is and is not a genuine opinion of yours.

why the hell is there forum for people to discuss another forum?

Today is a bad day to be a liberal. My twitter feed is dominated by ThinkProgress types who clearly never watched a minute of football, proselytizing about how shameful it is that Michael Sam was drafted so low. I'm glad the guy got drafted but let's be real: he's undersized and slow. Being good in college doesn't mean you'll be good in the NFL.

He's lucky he got drafted. But yeah, he dropped because he's not that great.

Probably because that forum is a cesspool of hate and you regularly participate in it.
yeah I browsed around.... :/

benjipwns

Banned
than why the hell are you here? take your political nihilism somewhere else. Most people here generally want to discuss things not have you pontificate about how politics doesn't matter. if you want to contribute, contribute but don't troll or be a character all the damn time.
But I haven't pontificated about that except when someone directly inquired as to why I don't consider it serious like ten minutes ago. And I have never once been "a character all the damn time."

I mean serious in that you're posting what you believe. Like when benjipwns posts X he seriously believes X. Not that when you go home you cry because the debate didn't go well and politics suck. Right now it looks like you're taking contrarian positions to piss off people in the thread and I genuinely do not know what is and is not a genuine opinion of yours.
I don't see what confusion there could be? Or why I'm being singled out when so many other people make sarcastic jokes about what Ted Cruz said about Benghazi or whatever.

Probably because that forum is a cesspool of hate and you regularly participate in it.
It's not any more a cesspool of hate than GAF or anywhere else can be. It's arguably one of the most even tempered places I've found on the internet.

East Lake

It's plenty confusing to me.

benjipwns said:
That was lame, he should have gone balls deep as a heel.

That's how I do it in converting all my foes to pure uncut anarchism day after day.

benjipwns said:
GAF is lame, like half the people don't understand what they themselves are posting, there were also posts being deleted in that thread. Some guy was whining because I said 50K was in the 1% globally and accusing me of trying to downplay poverty because of it. But that all got deleted.

I went harder in the Supreme Court thread because I had roped in empty_vessel and knew I could get him to agree to the government censoring and allocating speech on the internet because he had come close to saying that before.

It's not any more a cesspool of hate than GAF or anywhere else can be. It's arguably one of the most even tempered places I've found on the internet.
Oh please. One of the most regular activities of that forum is to hurl personal insults about members of GAF among each other. Just a few minutes browsing there reveals someone's true colors, as they don't have to worry about the often excellent moderation of NeoGAF.

I discovered that website, browsed for a bit, saw some very nasty things being said about certain members of PoliGAF and people on NeoGAF that I really respect – saw some very nasty things hurled at me from people who post in PoliGAF and that website – then closed the browser and never looked at it again.

That place is anything but tempered.

Edit: Eesh, this is waaaaaay off-topic. And we're not supposed to talk about it? Sorry, didn't know. Won't say anything more about it.

benjipwns

Banned
What's confusing? I'm joking about my softness. Then I'm talking about how lame many threads on GAF in general get where people don't even read the OP let alone anything else in the thread. And the thread in particular was one of those.

And then I was telling someone which thread I did post in instead which was because EV was in it and I wanted to see if he was still in favor of suppressing the internet.

At no point has there been any dishonesty, trolling or deliberate taking of false positions. I believe wholeheartedly in an absolutist view of freedom of speech and related.

Just a few minutes browsing there reveals someone's true colors, as they don't have to worry about the often excellent moderation of NeoGAF.
This will be the last thing I'll note about it since we're not even supposed to be talking about other forums, but I haven't seen any different behavior between members there and on GAF. And I post the same way everywhere on the internet.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
What is going on here? Is there some kind of mirror-universe GAF that you all are talking about? Like, where we all have goatees or something?

East Lake

What's confusing? I'm joking about my softness. Then I'm talking about how lame many threads on GAF in general get where people don't even read the OP let alone anything else in the thread. And the thread in particular was one of those.

And then I was telling someone which thread I did post in instead which was because EV was in it and I wanted to see if he was still in favor of suppressing the internet.

At no point has there been any dishonesty, trolling or deliberate taking of false positions. I believe wholeheartedly in an absolutist view of freedom of speech and related.
When is he the heel and when his he not the heel? Tune in next week to find out!

benjipwns

Banned
When is he the heel and when his he not the heel? Tune in next week to find out!
Maybe you should read the context of the post? I was talking about how Charles Koch shouldn't have written a whining cry win the WSJ about all the great things he does but instead just become a heel since that's the way they get treated anyway.

benjipwns

Banned
Well, when you've exhaused that, I can link you to a few more forums where I consistently advocate for absolutist first amendment protections, the end of corporate monopolies, the rejection of coercive violence and make sarcastic remarks. Same as here. But also feel free to call me a troll, a joke character, a nihilist and so on just because I disagree on political philosophy.

East Lake

Well, when you've exhaused that, I can link you to a few more forums where I consistently advocate for absolutist first amendment protections, the end of corporate monopolies, the rejection of coercive violence and make sarcastic remarks. Same as here. But also feel free to call me a troll, a joke character, a nihilist and so on just because I disagree on political philosophy.
Scrolling past your posts will be less time consuming.

benjipwns

Banned
I'll only ignore if the state makes me.
Before you start scrolling past, and I'll offer this question in general, do/did you really think I was simply trolling for mad lolz with that silly discussion regarding the state/society/etc. on the last couple of pages?

Because I just recently made this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110313838&postcount=9090

And all this sarcasm didn't get my internet post history investigated for sekret motives:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=110775961#post110775961
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=110047411#post110047411
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=110314348#post110314348

You must follow the wrong people.

Apparently Biden made an Elizabeth Warren-esque speech about the economy at an event in South Carolina where he said the problems with the economy started during the Clinton years. Shots fired?

I'll vote for him if he promises to make Mr. Sandman his running mate

1170285664-00.jpg

Considering Biden voted for every single deregulation bill that went through the Senate in the 90s, I don't think he really has the freedom Warren does to criticize the Clinton record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom