• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Even if you're already mired in conspiracy theories, it seems like a huge stretch to tie this into them. White House reaches out to Youtube, telling them this video is causing problems in the Middle East. How does this advance the conspiracy? What happens, if Youtube takes down the video, that helps hide the secret truth of Benghazi?

The only way this could possibly work is if the administration sent the email as part of a plan to make it look like the video had caused Benghazi, and intended to release the email later to corroborate that version of events. Except... they didn't release it. It's still hidden away.

Unless this is some real next-level shit, where they knew Issa would find this email and publicize it, and by doing so help exonerate them of the conspiracy theory that they clearly knew was coming and oh god my brain

Third dimensional go.

Go further for who?? Certainly not blacks.

if you're expecting it to "go further" for black people w/ all the historical evidence from existing anti-poverty programs indicating otherwise (evidence that i'm pretty sure TNC brings up in the article spawning this conversation) i don't know what to tell you

Poor whites are just as social mobile as poor blacks, as in not at all. The part of the system that is stacked against class overshadows the part that is stacked against race. The former has to be addressed prior to the latter. There is not point in giving people money if they find it difficult to use it to move to a different area and get a decent paying job.

Chichikov

Poor whites are just as social mobile as poor blacks, as in not at all. The part of the system that is stacked against class overshadows the part that is stacked against race. The former has to be addressed prior to the latter. There is not point in giving people money if they find it difficult to use it to move to a different area and get a decent paying job.
The discussion about who has it worse is toxic, counterproductive and has been used by rich fucks since before the foundation of this country to keep poor people and minorities down.
I think it's best for progressives to refuse to engage in it.

Also, in the US the two are inseparable, race and racism has been used to keep poor people down and general anti-poor policies have been enacted specifically to fuck black people.

KingK

Wow. I completely missed this and I consider myself very in the loop regarding up to date political info. I pretty much agree with everything he said there 110%. It's nearly verbatim what I've been bitching to friends about for months/years. If only he'd been talking like this the last several years instead of trying to appease David Brooks and friends.

They sure talked in circles for a long time. Stewart really needed to press Geithner on why Congress didn't authorize them to bail out homeowners or why the administration didn't make a lot of noise about wanting to bail out homeowners in order to pressure Congress into authorizing that. As best I could tell, Geithner's story was that he really wanted to bail out homeowners, that that would have been good policy, that no interest group was opposed to it, and that nevertheless Congress didn't want to allow that and couldn't have been talked into it.

Stewart isn't familiar with the topic at all or he would've called him out. Tim didn't need additional congressional approval to spend money and implement solutions in the aftermath of the housing crisis. He was too eager to tell Congress what wasn't a good idea. In any case, there's testimony from Geithner to Congress about his rationale for not doing principal reduction, principal forgiveness, and refinancing. HAMP, HARP, HAFA, FHFA, and the rest went to waste under his leadership. Plus, the Treasury made arguments for keeping Principal Reduction Alternatives (PRA) discretionary as opposed to mandatory and in SIGTARP's quarterly reports those arguments clearly undermined the homeowner relief programs that were put in place.

There are lot people in US that are way, way more critical of Islam than that Florida pastor. Every day they are coming up with crazier ways to critize Islam. Next week Pamela Geller is going to run ads in DC buses comparing nazism to Islam or something. This week they ran ads in NYT. State dept is not going to tell them not to. Problem with Florida pastor was that he was trying to incite violence with a youtube video knowing full well that he is going to put peoples lives in danger. He is an idiot.

Besides, the guy burned the Qur'an anyway. He just didn't advertise it.
I saw those DC buses today. SMH

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So how's the massacre in California Obama's fault?
BobqTALCIAA63sk.jpg

ICKE

Banned
Next week is going to be unbearable as this incident will constantly be in the spotlight (from O'Reilly to Hannity and then we have progressive hosts calling for increased gun control).

I can't even call my dad or relatives for a while, because I just know they will bring this issue up and state how our decadent society is to blame, how erosion of traditional family values has led to this, God this and homosexuals that.

Wilsongt

I would say this is more of a case of a mental disorder as opposed to just an idiot with a gun.

But, of course, that isn't going to be the narrative.

I no longer have anything to say about what is now part of normal American life. Everything I have to say about this, I said it 12 years ago: We are a people easily manipulated by fear which causes us to arm ourselves with a quarter BILLION guns in our homes that are often easily accessible to young people, burglars, the mentally ill and anyone who momentarily snaps. We are a nation founded in violence, grew our borders through violence, and allow men in power to use violence around the world to further our so-called American (corporate) "interests."

The gun, not the eagle, is our true national symbol. While other countries have more violent pasts (Germany, Japan), more guns per capita in their homes (Canada [mostly hunting guns]), and the kids in most other countries watch the same violent movies and play the same violent video games that our kids play, no one even comes close to killing as many of its own citizens on a daily basis as we do -- and yet we don't seem to want to ask ourselves this simple question: "Why us? What is it about US?"

Nearly all of our mass shootings are by angry or disturbed white males. None of them are committed by the majority gender, women. Hmmm, why is that? Even when 90% of the American public calls for stronger gun laws, Congress refuses -- and then we the people refuse to remove them from office. So the onus is on us, all of us.

We won't pass the necessary laws, but more importantly we won't consider why this happens here all the time. When the NRA says, "Guns don't kill people -- people kill people," they've got it half-right. Except I would amend it to this: "Guns don't kill people -- Americans kill people."

This is the country we created. Founded on fear, racism, ignorance, violence, apathy, and most of all, an unwilling to change.

Wilsongt

One of two Georgia Republicans who will face off in a run-off election in July for the GOP nomination in the 10th Congressional District is minister and talk-radio host Jody Hice, who believes that gay people have “a secret plot to recruit and sodomize children.’

Mother Jones reports that in a 2012 book — “In It’s Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America” — Hice compares gay relationships to bestiality and incest, alleges the gay community wants to recruit and sodomize childrenand that that supporters of abortion rights are worse than Hitler. He also proposes that Muslims be stripped of their First Amendment rights.

In his book, Hice claims that homosexuality results in shorter life spans and depression, and he insists same-sex couples cannot raise healthy children:

“Some ask the question, ‘How does same-sex ‘marriage’ threaten your marriage?’,” he writes. “The answer is similar to asking, ‘How does a trashy neighborhood affect you?’ It might not affect you at all on a personal level. But, we are not talking about ‘a’ same-sex marriage. We are talking about an effort to redefine marriage, and that would have drastic results and irreversible consequences!

[...]

“People love all kinds of other people and things, but that does not grant permission for marriage. It is illegal to marry a child or a sibling. It is illegal to marry a pet, which many people love dearly.”

Hice claims that Christians who speak out against the evils of homosexuality are persecuted — and as a result of gay manipulation, “the nation’s entire system of justice is being destroyed.”

At one point in his book, Hice quotes at length from a 1987 column by gay author Michael Swift, to suggest that gay people prey on children:

“We shall sodomize your sons, emblems of your feeble masculinity, of your shallow dreams and vulgar lies. We shall seduce them in your schools, in your dormitories, in your gymnasiums, in your locker rooms, in your sports arenas, in your seminaries, in your youth groups, in your movie theater bathrooms, in your army bunkhouses, in your truck stops, in your all male clubs, in your houses of Congress, wherever men are with men together. Your sons shall become our minions and do our bidding. They will be recast in our image. They will come to crave and adore us.”

Hice calls the passage “shocking words by Michael Swift” that have been considered “part of the ‘gay manifesto’ by many, and reveal the radical agenda that is currently threatening our nation.”

But what Hice omitted was the first sentence of Swift’s column, which noted that the entire essay was satirical.

Last week, Hice clinched a spot in the runoff to replace U.S. Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.), who is seeking a seat in the U.S. Senate. In a district that gave 62 percent of the vote to Mitt Romney two years ago, Hice, the leading vote-getter in the first round of balloting, stands a good chance of being elected to Congress.

Will recruit and sodomize children? Someone's definitely projecting here, Mr. Minister...

The way gun nuts look at the situation is if every kid were armed on the campus, this tragedy would have been prevented. It's like talking to libertarian. Complete waste of time.

Wilsongt

It's becoming supe painful to watch tv here. So many Republican ads trying to one up each other on being the most conservative, mosy antigovernment, antiabortion, antiobama, etc. it really is absurd.

Also Europe needs to take a look at themselves before they open their mouths about the US racist revanchists

Marine "Ebola will help our African immigration problem" La Pen has won in France.

UKIP winning in the UK.

Golden Dawn, who are literally Nazis came in third in Greece but did good enough to win seats. The EU parliament will have Nazis in it now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Marine "Ebola will help our African immigration problem" La Pen has won in France.

UKIP winning in the UK.

Golden Dawn, who are literally Nazis came in third in Greece but did good enough to win seats. The EU parliament will have Nazis in it now.

Pretty sure the cops arrested the Golden Dawn members a few months ago in connection to some hate fueled murder.

KingK

Looking at what's up for election in my district this year, it kinda sucks that there isn't anything in contention. It's only my 3rd election as an eligible voter. In 2010 I was at least able to vote for Joe Donnelly helping him barely keep his House seat, but then the district was gerrymandered out of being competitive. Then in 2012 I had the President to vote for and Donnelly for senate. This year everything I can vote for is pretty much guaranteed to be a Republican landslide. I'll still vote, but it does suck.

Also Europe needs to take a look at themselves before they open their mouths about the US racist revanchists

Yeah, I also get annoyed sometimes when Europeans pretend that their continent is some enlightened place of acceptance compared to the US. There is plenty of racism and xenophobia in Europe. It might even be worse than the US in a lot of places. The big difference is that it just doesn't come up as often in Europe because they tend to have more homogeneous societies and don't have the huge amount of diversity the US has.

I saw Newsbusters pissy about The Washing Post review of Adam Carolla's new book. Some good unintentional comedy.

5cFHqWl.gif

“And as far as ‘white privilege,’ speaking as a honky, I got none,” the author writes. “In fact, if I had been black or Hispanic I might have done better.”

He bought his childhood home 10 years ago for $739,500.
Was for a show.
Now, was it some sentimental thing about how his family was kicked out of the house when they couldn't pay the rent?
pfftt... As you can see he bought it from his dad. His childhood home that his dad paid for was worth 700K during the boom.

The best the median wealth ever got for minority households was about 1/50th of that.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/26/news/economy/wealth_gap_white_black_hispanic/
http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2012/0112wicks-lim.html

Your white dad was part of the post war boom that is the backbone of white privilege.

And in the 90s he gets into the entertainment business after dicking around for a decade. It's a segment dominated by white guys. Women and minorities are mostly just novelties.
Becomes the rich asshole he is today.

You have to be blind to not see how the margin of error for your white ass from 1964-today was huge compared to the avg black or hispanic during that same time-frame.

Seeing all of these minority parties in the European countries is interesting. I wonder what minority parties we'd get if congress wasn't a two party system?

The discussion about who has it worse is toxic, counterproductive and has been used by rich fucks since before the foundation of this country to keep poor people and minorities down.
I think it's best for progressives to refuse to engage in it.

Also, in the US the two are inseparable, race and racism has been used to keep poor people down and general anti-poor policies have been enacted specifically to fuck black people.

I completely agree with this. My argument is that I don't think that just handing black people money would be the best way of handling it. There are other things that money could be used for that would go farther with that community.

I liked The Man Show, but Adam Carolla is kind of a douche bag.

He is pretty much a caricature.

Chichikov

Seeing all of these minority parties in the European countries is interesting. I wonder what minority parties we'd get if congress wasn't a two party system?
You would've had a weed party for sure. At this point, they would've been busy trying to figure out what is their next move now that marijuana is legalized in the federal level.

I completely agree with this. My argument is that I don't think that just handing black people money would be the best way of handling it. There are other things that money could be used for that would go farther with that community.
I think the important thing is to agree that America has a debt to its black citizens, figuring out exactly what is the best way to pay it back is a more technical question.

You would've had a weed party for sure. At this point, they would've been busy trying to figure out what is their next move now that marijuana is legalized in the federal level.
I imagine on campaigning to legalize other things that their base feel should be legal. Such as gambling, prostitution, and (maybe) cocaine.

I think the important thing is to agree that America has a debt to its black citizens, figuring out exactly what is the best way to pay it back is a more technical question.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom