• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will never, ever tire of these stories. This one in particular is great because it's from one of the people Cathy McMorris Rodgers was all sad about in the response to the SOTU:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/01/31/1268692/-Another-Obamacare-horror-story-nbsp-unravels

I think arguing over the premium increase could be a wash - she claimed it was $700, in reality it was $500. Ultimately her premium skyrocketed in price.

BUT her old plan had a fucking $10,000 deductible. Why she is so adamant about keeping that plan is just baffling to me.

I will never, ever tire of these stories. This one in particular is great because it's from one of the people Cathy McMorris Rodgers was all sad about in the response to the SOTU:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/01/31/1268692/-Another-Obamacare-horror-story-nbsp-unravels

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/31/gop...horror_story_a_creation_from_start_to_finish/

Nail, meet head.

I think arguing over the premium increase could be a wash - she claimed it was $700, in reality it was $500. Ultimately her premium skyrocketed in price.

No, it went up that high without shopping for other options, just accepting what her carrier moved her into. It might have been far less and she might qualify for subsidies, we have no idea.

Wilsongt

BUT her old plan had a fucking $10,000 deductible. Why she is so adamant about keeping that plan is just baffling to me.
She also actively choice to forgo any coverage or deal with "obama's website"

Another story of the gop blowing up something so minor.

Trouble

Banned

Government representatives steering constituents away from the best outcomes for said constituents in order to assemble a political narrative that suits them. That seriously should be grounds for impeachment, IMO.

I'd be kicking myself if I were there too

I'd be doing considerably worse things to myself if I were in the House.

Christie is fucked if he wasn't telling the truth on everything during that press conference. Clearly some evidence exists, regardless of the NYT fuck up. And if Wildstein is angling for immunity he may give the feds information on other things as well.

I said this the day of the press conference, unless he was telling the complete truth (lol) he had to have tripped up.

Cory Booker is probably somewhere kicking himself.

Why? He's in a better spot for future moves up. He's going nowhere.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, pretty clear Christie isn't going to keep everyone shut down at this point. If the shoe does drop his 2016 chances drop with them.

Why? He's in a better spot for future moves up. He's going nowhere.

He'd be better poised to run for governor if he had stayed out of the senate imo. Granted there's no way he could have known Christie would implode, but if he had manned up and ran against Christie he'd be the heir apparent right now.

I'd rather be governor of NJ than a junior senator.

Wilsongt

I find it completely unsurprising that faux news does 't have the Christie story on their mobile website. Instead, it's the keystone bullshit.

He'd be better poised to run for governor if he had stayed out of the senate imo. Granted there's no way he could have known Christie would implode, but if he had manned up and ran against Christie he'd be the heir apparent right now.

Well it doesn't seem like job security is very good for governors on NJ.

My first introduction to Christie was during one of his rallies when a lady called him out on his education cuts as they don't effect him that much since his kids go to private school and proceeded to ask him would he be okay if his kids' private school had funding cuts. Christie then screamed at her. Since then my general impression of him was that he was essentially a fat Bill O'Reily.

Yeah, by what I understand it can be a lucrative position for you and your family.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Anyone else surprised that Bridgeghazi's gone on as long as it did? I thought it would have petered out by now.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else surprised that Bridgeghazi's gone on as long as it did? I thought it would have petered out by now.

It's an honest, classical scandal surrounding a politician with a countrywide household name recognition and questions left unanswered during a time frame where almost nothing else interesting is going to happen for a while. Of course this scandal is going to have sticking power in the media.

It's going to have sticking power for voters too since the man was too much of a blank slate to avoid letting this issue define him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's partly due to his Christie has sold himself until now. He was the jerk with a heart of gold, now it turns out he's just as corrupt as everyone else who's ever run the state. It's old school Jersey corruption, that's always made for good TV.

Aylinato

Over hearing a cnn discussion I heard them talking about ways that republicans need to solidify their votes to win an election.

One person said reform legal immigration program but keep "derp illegals" out.

Another says the republicans are for freedom, free enterprise, and needs to register the youth to show them that unlike democrats welfare and food stamps that republicans are for freedom, free enterprise, and freedom. She then continues to repeat republicans are free enterprise, and freedom like 100 times.

It was nausating to say the least.

Vahagn

Over hearing a cnn discussion I heard them talking about ways that republicans need to solidify their votes to win an election.

One person said reform legal immigration program but keep "derp illegals" out.

Another says the republicans are for freedom, free enterprise, and needs to register the youth to show them that unlike democrats welfare and food stamps that republicans are for freedom, free enterprise, and freedom. She then continues to repeat republicans are free enterprise, and freedom like 100 times.

It was nausating to say the least.

Why do you hate Freedom you Commie!

One thing that always irratates me is "takers" pretending that they aren't and belittling everyone else in the process. Based off the subsidy that guy is receiving he's probably in the 40-45k range for income. With the number of kids there is no way that guy pays any federal income tax and I bet he gets tax credits that cover his Medicare and SS tax. He's the definition of someone sucking off the governments tit (pre obamacare). I am not opposed to people like this receiving these benefits but when they act like this.....

The regressive tax system in Alabama isn't offset by no federal income tax or low-income tax credits. However, you're right on it being irritating to see someone rejecting Obama's small gesture towards income inequality when they're getting fleeced annually.

The New York Times reports that David Wildstein, the official who ordered the closure of the bridge, has is aware of evidence that Christie knew of the lane closures as they were happening, which the governor has consistently denied. Specifically, a letter released on Friday by Wildstein's attorney says Wildstein has evidence "evidence exists…tying Mr. Christie to having knowledge of the lane closures, during the period when the lanes were closed, contrary to what the governor stated publicly in a two-hour press conference" three weeks ago. Read the letter here.

An attorney for Bill Stepien, Christie's longtime campaign manager, released a letter saying that in response to a subpoena regarding the traffic snarl, Stepien will invoke the Fifth Amendment.

KuGsj.gif

GG Christie

Oblivion

It's an honest, classical scandal surrounding a politician with a countrywide household name recognition and questions left unanswered during a time frame where almost nothing else interesting is going to happen for a while. Of course this scandal is going to have sticking power in the media.

It's going to have sticking power for voters too since the man was too much of a blank slate to avoid letting this issue define him.

It's partly due to his Christie has sold himself until now. He was the jerk with a heart of gold, now it turns out he's just as corrupt as everyone else who's ever run the state. It's old school Jersey corruption, that's always made for good TV.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm enjoying this quite a bit, but even if it's a legitimate scandal, (and I think it is) you would think the MSM (or at least the Morning Joe types) would have gotten bored with it by now and brushed it off a liberal version of Benghazi.

In other news, conservative writer surprised at conservatives who seem to put the job creators ahead of everyone else:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/the-h...americans-arent-entrepreneurs/article/2543254

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Dont' get me wrong, I'm enjoying this quite a bit, but even if it's a legitimate scandal, (and I think it is) you would think the MSM (or at least the Morning Joe types) would have gotten bored with it by now and brushed it off a liberal version of Benghazi.

I know, I'm just saying I always thought it was inevitable for this to culminate into a huge hyped "tell all interview" with either Anne or Wildstein, even if everyone protects Christie and nothing else comes out on him, because it'll bring ratings. This story is just so much easier to sell than the complicated leaps of logic you have to go through to sell Benghazi as a ratings bringer to the common viewer.

Qazaq

Banned

This does not make any sense to me.

What is cooked up and overblown about a governor and his entire administration of a state concocting a conspiracy to shut down lanes to the busiest bridge in the world, endangering peoples' lives, planning a massive coverup, all for political retribution... while he was one of the front-runners for a party's Presidential nomination and all but certain to run.

When people talk about "if" it's a "legitimate" scandal, or they're "surprised" about the effect of this scandal, or think it "won't resonate", or will "peter out", I am ALWAYS mystified. Are you sure you comprehend the scope of the situation, and that you understand what's going on?

I'm surprised THAT ANYONE is "surprised". This is a MASSIVE political scandal. This isn't some casual dick-pic scandal where a guy might have to embarrassingly resign. This is a Nixonian, could easily be thrown out or impeached kind of thing, while costing almost everyone in his administration their careers, with many crimes possible to have taken place.

Lol @ "even if" it's a legitimate scandal, and "thinking" it is.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This does not make any sense to me.

What is cooked up and overblown about a governor and his entire administration of a state concocting a conspiracy to shut down lanes to the busiest bridge in the world, endangering peoples' lives, planning a massive coverup, all for political retribution... while he was one of the front-runners for a party's Presidential nomination and all but certain to run.

When people talk about "if" it's a "legitimate" scandal, or they're "surprised" about the effect of this scandal, or think it "won't resonate", or will "peter out", I am ALWAYS mystified. Are you sure you comprehend the scope of the situation, and that you understand what's going on?

I'm surprised THAT ANYONE is "surprised". This is a MASSIVE political scandal. This isn't some casual dick-pic scandal where a guy might have to embarrassingly resign. This is a Nixonian, could easily be thrown out or impeached kind of thing, while costing almost everyone in his administration their careers, with many crimes possible to have taken place.

Lol @ "even if" it's a legitimate scandal, and "thinking" it is.

I don't want to put words in Oblivion's mouth, but it's completely understandable. It's not that he doesn't understand the situation, he's just saying he underestimated the public reaction to it.

Also I think it's foolish to speak in absolutes without evidence, no matter how likely it seems.

Qazaq

Banned
I don't want to put words in Oblivion's mouth, but it's completely understandable. It's not that he doesn't understand the situation, he's just saying he underestimated the public reaction to it.

Also I think it's foolish to speak in absolutes without evidence, no matter how likely it seems.

What likely are you talking about?

Because I'm referring to the part where Christie's administration orchestrated lane closures and then sold a massive cover-up.

As in, the part that we already have incontrovertible proof of. The part that we've moved beyond as far as "if" that was what happened.

So . . . would a good summary of the GOP immigration proposal be: OK, you can hang out, BUT YOU'LL NEVER GET TO VOTE!

How would that be any different than it is now?

Oblivion

Hey, looks like Darrel Issa's on Real Time tonight. Hope Bill and the panel show him no mercy.

Yeah, I might have phrased it poorly, but this is what I meant.

Qazaq

Banned
Eh, I can understand kind of thinking how people would just be like "oh, that Bridge scandal, why would I care about that here in Nebraska". I think people initially thought that.

But honestly, even if you do think that, I think you're missing out. This thing is juicy as hell, and the developments are quick and ongoing. That's why it has stayed in the media.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So . . . would a good summary of the GOP immigration proposal be: OK, you can hang out, BUT YOU'LL NEVER GET TO VOTE!

How would that be any different than it is now?

Businesses and farmers don't have to worry about their permanent underclass of invisible workers getting deported during the busy season? I dunno.

My first introduction to Christie was during one of his rallies when a lady called him out on his education cuts as they don't effect him that much since his kids go to private school and proceeded to ask him would he be okay if his kids' private school had funding cuts. Christie then screamed at her. Since then my general impression of him was that he was essentially a fat Bill O'Reily.

lol that was exactly my introduction to Christie as well. I had no idea why NJ loved him so much. Dude came off as jerk from whatever videos I saw of him.

Businesses and farmers don't have to worry about their permanent underclass of invisible workers getting deported during the busy season? I dunno.

Yeah . . . that is it. This is not help for the immigrants . . . it is help for the businesses.

Well except for the fact that maybe the workers could unionize but that is not likely.

Has such a rising star ever fallen so fast? Wow.

Hi, I'm Bobby Jindal...

But seriously this is why I think Scott Walker would be such a good candidate in 2016, he's teflon in Wisconsin. There's a video of a reporter pretending to be Charles Koch calling Walker during the 2011 union protests where Walker talks to him like Koch's his boss and openly accepts bribes, and no one cared. Granted he manages to get by with political support from Tea Partiers who hate the world and idiot single issue gun voters but I still think he'll be the best GOP candidate in 2016.

Perry had a better chance at winning the nomination than Christie would have, even without scandal. Perry had the money, record, and Evangelical support to make a mark in primary states but ultimately fucked it up the minute he opened his mouth. Part of it was due to him still recovering from back surgery (he was clearly on medication), but a larger part is that he's a Texas dumbass. People make fun of Bush...but at least Bush is intellectually curious and reads. Perry probably hasn't read a book in a decade.

It's worth remembering Perry also insulted the republican base by suggesting they don't have a heart, in reference to illegal immigration.

People make fun of Bush...but at least Bush is intellectually curious and reads. Perry probably hasn't read a book in a decade.

Christ, so not only does the politics shift in a time of extremism, so too do assessments of intellectual curiosity? Bush is not intellectually curious. On the intellectual curiosity scale of 1-10, he is a 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom