• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you view the term "public broadcasting" to mean that it's entirely funded through taxes, you're correct. But I view the term to refer more directly to its goal, which is to provide news as a public service rather than to serve commercial interests.

Frankly, I don't want an entirely government-funded domestic news service. I like and respect the work of the BBC, but I can't say I desire a similar service in the U.S.

They are pretty much on the same level of "biaslessness".

BBC and Aljazeera envy me, I wish we had such a well funded quality news source in the States.

Very few, I assume, given that it has been prohibited from being broadcast in the US because it is official propaganda (an organ of first the War Department and then the State Department). Apparently that changed in 2013. I know that there are assertions that firewalls exist to promote journalistic integrity and objectivity within VOA (and entities like it), but I don't know much about its structure and am personally highly skeptical and loathe to count this as public media given its original intent. As I understand it, the Broadcasting Board of Governors (which oversees these foreign disseminations) has a much larger budget than the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. That sadly doesn't surprise me.

I primarily find VOA interesting because of its work in Special English.

They've basically developed a very specific, simplified version of the English language specifically designed to teach American English in developing countries. And apparently it's extremely effective.

It also has the obvious secondary purpose to deliver American-friendly news, but I think the development of the language itself is pretty cool.

And it's quite fascinating to listen to VOA's news stories in Special English.

Sibylus

Banned
Whether or not Keystone XL happens, I'd be shocked if that oil is left to sit in its sand as a response. Too much time, money, political capital, and equipment sunk into its extraction to turn away at a first hurdle. The pragmatic-pessimistic side of me agrees with speculawyer: get your share while you can and mitigate the damage.

You realize no one is going to win Florida by 10 points in 2016 right? I don't think 2016 polls (in 2014) matter, but the size of the lead is interesting I guess. But ultimately, Hillary's positives will drop the minute the race begins; that happens to everyone. Whoever wins Florida will get 51-53% of the vote.

I would say that some 2016 polls do matter right now, but that is limited entirely to primary election polls because we are currently in the middle of the invisible primary.

General election polls are useless at this point and not really predictive of anything except for maybe determining relative strength of candidates (and even that is questionable).

Screw that...I want Paternity leave.

not completely joking

I work for a major bank in the US.

They gave me 3 weeks of Paternity Leave when my daughter was born to be with her and my wife those first few weeks.

All I had to do was go to HR and use FMLA leave. Paychecks kept rolling in.

Oh and even though James is banned....

It snowed here on Tuesday and daycare closed early. I went and picked up my daughter. I guess I'm just broken- I enjoy being a parent.

Averon

Now that's Christie's done, who is the GOP's next great hope that can actually pass the primary and still be electable in the general?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA who can they run in 2016? I really think walker or kasich is their guy if they want a chance in the general

Kasich is just as much of a bully and an asshole as Christie. I would guess the skeletons in his closet are every bit as damning.

But hopefully he loses reelection in November and any snowball's chance in hell he has at a presidential nomination goes with his governorship.

bananas

Banned
Could someone with the name Carter get elected today?

If yes, then someone with the name Bush probably won't be electable for a very long time.

If I had to guess who's getting the nomination at this very early point, Paul Ryan would probably be my pick.

He's a fucking lunatic, so the Tea Party types would be cool with him, but I think the rest of the GOP base would think he's moderate enough to win a national election.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If I had to guess who's getting the nomination at this very early point, Paul Ryan would probably be my pick.

He's a fucking lunatic, so the Tea Party types would be cool with him, but I think the rest of the GOP base would think he's moderate enough to win a national election.

He got absolutely demolished by Biden. My money is on Rand Paul.

Kasich is just as much of a bully and an asshole as Christie. I would guess the skeletons in his closet are every bit as damning.

But hopefully he loses reelection in November and any snowball's chance in hell he has at a presidential nomination goes with his governorship.

Kasich's re-election is really a tossup and the majority of people in Ohio have no idea who Ed Fitzgerald is at this point. I'm stil gonna vote for Ed but Kasich has moved to the center since SB5 went down in flames and I could see him getting re-elected.

When it comes to Walker I'm pretty sure he's gonna win, the Wisconsin Dems picked a weak candidate and all the polling is showing them losing big time to Walker.

We have not lived lives good enough for 2016 to come down to Rand Paul and Ted Cruz.

Chumly

Christie had one chance to come clean and it was that press conference. That most likely would have finished him but he is for sure cooked now.

He got absolutely demolished by Biden. My money is on Rand Paul.

I really don't think the GOP will hold Ryan responsible for 2012 - at least not enough to wreck his chances in 2016.

Kasich's re-election is really a tossup and the majority of people in Ohio have no idea who Ed Fitzgerald is at this point. I'm stil gonna vote for Ed but Kasich has moved to the center since SB5 went down in flames and I could see him getting re-elected.

I think the outcome of the Ohio gubernatorial election rests on organized labor. If they can mobilize a turnout like they did to take down SB5, I think Kasich is done. If they don't, he wins.

And they better do it, because I'd bet my left nut that Kasich pushes right-to-work in his second term.

Kasich is also completely unpalatable to the Tea Partiers because he was a huge backer of the Medicare expansion in Ohio (over the GOP-dominated legislature). He's been in slapfights with the extreme right for months and they're trying to primary him.

Not that they'll succeed, but they're trying.

Gruco

Banned
I don't care who gets the GOP nomination, as long as I get to watch a full year of candidates trying to out-clown one another and a new nut job jumping to the polls every two weeks again.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't care who gets the GOP nomination, as long as I get to watch a full year of candidates trying to out-clown one another and a new nut job jumping to the polls every two weeks again.

The GOP cut down on the primary process, no more endless debates of them forgetting how to count or only remembering one number.

Amir0x

Banned
What did I tell everybody? Christie is so fucked once they started looking for evidence. This is the most obvious thing ever. Everyone in this thread predicted it I think lol

I'm guessing Christie thought he could keep people in pocket; the only way he was going to go down was if someone talked, and apparently that's the case. He threw Kelly under the bus yet she hasn't said much of anything, which made me wonder whether she has been "taken care of" so to speak. Wildstein asked for his legal bills to be paid, then he started floating immunity...at that point it was obvious he was going to flip.

I wonder if someone from Christie's team tried to convince Wildstein to stay quiet?

I'm guessing Christie thought he could keep people in pocket; the only way he was going to go down was if someone talked, and apparently that's the case. He threw Kelly under the bus yet she hasn't said much of anything, which made me wonder whether she has been "taken care of" so to speak. Wildstein asked for his legal bills to be paid, then he started floating immunity...at that point it was obvious he was going to flip.

I wonder if someone from Christie's team tried to convince Wildstein to stay quiet?

I think this story is getting overblown, he doesn't claim to have the docs and the letter is pretty much an extortion for them to pay his legal bills (which I imagine if he had damaging material christie would do.)

Trouble

Banned

Once the port authority said they weren't going to pay his legal costs, I had a feeling he would turn.

The fact of the matter is that there is no candidate that could beat Hillary. The GOP is too split between the radicals and "moderates". If they appeal to the radicals then the person won't be electable. If they appeal to the moderates then the candidate will have no other choice but to throw a bone to the radicals in order to get the base energized. We saw this with Romney. If he would have just played the White Obama character that he played during the first debate he would have had a shot. Unfortunately that soured too many GOP voters and the rest is history.

I think this story is getting overblown, he doesn't claim to have the docs and the letter is pretty much an extortion for them to pay his legal bills (which I imagine if he had damaging material christie would do.)

From what I understand the NYT is still saying Wildstein has evidence. What type, we don't know.

He says he has proof to some of the inaccuracies to what Christie said about him.

We'll see how this plays out but I doubt it ends quite well for Christie.

Looks like the governors that opted out of the Medicaid expansion could be left with blood on their hands. Literally.
Remember, it's not just governors to blame here, but it some cases it's the state legislatures. In NH our governor would love to expand Medicaid, but one chamber of the legislature won't let her.

Seriously, the GOP primaries were the best damn TV entertainment around.

No, it's exactly what I said. The changed story still says it.

"Mr. Wildstein contests the accuracy of various statements that the governor made about him, and he can prove the inaccuracy of some,” the letter added."

Re-read what I said. I didn't say he claimed to have evidence regarding the closures, I said

"He says he has proof to some of the inaccuracies to what Christie said about him."

Which is accurate to what the letter supposedly states.

Oh the hard evidence isn't out yet but I suspect it is just a matter of time. Between the Sandy money, one of these fired people getting immunity in exchange for testimony, etc. . . . something is going to happen. There are just way too many things here that just really stink. There are all sorts of real estate deals that people are now combing through that look quite suspect.

Christie is fucked if he wasn't telling the truth on everything during that press conference. Clearly some evidence exists, regardless of the NYT fuck up. And if Wildstein is angling for immunity he may give the feds information on other things as well.

lednerg

I don't care about Christie's vanishing presidency as much as what this means for NJ. If he's indicted and resigns, then we're having a special election I guess. Buono's probably still interested in the job, and I can't think of who the GOP would put forward off the top of my head. Not to get too optimistic or anything, the state's still corrupt as hell, but it could be quite a shift in momentum policy-wise.

codhand

From what I understand the NYT is still saying Wildstein has evidence. What type, we don't know.

Wildstein: FWD: "Time for some traffic problems"

Christie: No! Not yet! Wait for my go ahead, just coming back from Juiniors Cheesecake now, brb.

Sorry PD youre better at the fanfic...

Vahagn

Walker's my bet as well. I think he's the only GOP candidate who could even credibly compete with Clinton (and even then, he'd still likely lose).

If something crazy happens and Hildawg doesn't run, I'd actually favor most of the GOP candidates over the Dem alternatives.

Walker's record on women's issues while running against Clinton. That would NEVER WORK. Hilary is already going to get a larger disparity of the woman vote than Obama got over Romney just because it's Hilary. Add in Walker's record on women's issues, it will be far too large of a gender gap to overcome. No way that's happening.

BfV8BUpCMAAeKre.png:large

Christie is also doubling down.

Lawyer better product this evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom