• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aylinato

debt.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

Reminds me of the crayon kid drawing a graph

Right now it might not shift much but it makes the top tax rate 25% lower than its current 37% (at least I think). You know in the future people will propose deductions which will push that number down. The furor that will erupt when someone proposes the rate increase to offset that will be ridiculous. Its the same framing the GOP uses on the debt ceiling. Live within your means, spend less not tax more.

Its dangerous and doesn't do much (any?) good. The probablem with the tax code isn't that its too high. The GOP even concedes this by trying to make it revenue neutral and keep the same burden. Its purpose is to change the battlefield to suit their low tax, regressive tax policy. They are and always have been playing the long game. I don't trust the democrats to see that as they are too often fighting todays political battles at the expense of the future.

Dems should counter with a proposal to lower middle and lower class rates and raise the rich's. Make it more progressive.

The top rate is 35%, not 25%. Furthermore, it leaves the ACA taxes in place, so for those it's still roughly 39%.

FSmbLi1.jpg

It also raises the long term capital gains by 1 percentage point. I mean, I agree there should be a counter proposal with different rates and stuff, but the top rate isn't 25%.

The highest earners should be at no less than around 40%. Anything less is pure lunacy... but... well, y'know.

I agree. Which is why I'd counter by uncapping the long terms capital gains taxes after $1 million or something. Then that's basically 40%.

I'd compromise if need be to make it 20% exempt at that point, bringing it to at least 28%. That would be a very fucking large tax hike on the super wealthy. Not as big as I'd like, but that's why it's a compromise.

Silly question: It would require congressional approval to nationalize and make a utility of the internet and internet providers right? Shit lately has made me feel hopeless in terms of a free and open internet.

Silly question: It would require congressional approval to nationalize and make a utility of the internet and internet providers right? Shit lately has made me feel hopeless in terms of a free and open internet.

Indeed it would.

Bams fucked UP in the stimulus for Internet broadband expansion, because they, in their infinite wisdom, forgot to close loopholes in the contracts so the cable companies couldn't horde stimulus money used for CEOs instead of expansion

Diablos

Indeed it would.

Bams fucked UP in the stimulus for Internet broadband expansion, because they, in their infinite wisdom, forgot to close loopholes in the contracts so the cable companies couldn't horde stimulus money used for CEOs instead of expansion
"Forgot" or just let some shit slide? You know Biden was a warrior for the RIAA/MPAA (and still is) in the Senate, right? It's one thing I really do not like about him.

It's expressive conduct, IMO, which is also protected under the First Amendment.

How so? I don't see any expression in a monetary transaction.

The top rate is 35%, not 25%. Furthermore, it leaves the ACA taxes in place, so for those it's still roughly 39%.

FSmbLi1.jpg

It also raises the long term capital gains by 1 percentage point. I mean, I agree there should be a counter proposal with different rates and stuff, but the top rate isn't 25%.

Ah, so it is still progressive. I wouldn't worry about raising the top bracket's rate so much as I would insist on another bracket to hit very high income earners more. Treating an individual who makes $20 million the same as one who makes $400k is criminal.

Ah, so it is still progressive. I wouldn't worry about raising the top bracket's rate so much as I would insist on another bracket to hit very high income earners more. Treating an individual who makes $20 million the same as one who makes $400k is criminal.

It's actually still worse because someone who makes $20 million most likely does it through capital gains. Those are taxed at 25% (21% + ACA taxes) compared to wages at 35%.

Which is why I think the exemption should be changed at some level (say $1 million) in some way (or removed). That would drastically change what is going on. The entire issue is how long term capital gains are taxed.

Sure, there are some athletes and celebs that actually bring in wages in the big numbers, but overall they're a very small part of the elite and they have to give out a lot of their money to things like agents, anyway.

What's the argument for taxing capital gains at a lower rate, anyway? Is there one?

(aside from "wealthy people have the resources to lobby for a different capital gains rate")

It incenticizes investment.

There's no evidence of this and at such low income tax rates, I doubt you'd ever find any.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
starting from 2008:
Huckabee
McCain
Palin
Jindal?
the Cain train! (LOL)
Rick Perry
Santorum
Romney
Rubio
Rand Paul
Ted Cruz
Christie
Walker?

You're forgetting a couple:

- Ben Carson
- Condoleeza Rice
-Suzanna Martinez
- Phil Robertson

bonercop

What do you guys think of this "my brother's keepers" policy?

It sounds like a ineffectual way to address poverty and seems more like it would feed into republican narratives about lazy minorities when it inevitably fails to produce any meaningful results
It’s incremental progress, it’s a little step but one that I admire and commend,” said Leola Johnson, associate professor and chair of the Media and Cultural Studies Department at MacAlester College. “At least he’s not trying to be post-racial anymore.”
also this sounds like battered wife syndrome, lol

It's expressing support for a candidate.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it should be heavily regulated, for two reasons. First, limiting the amount that can be given does not burden the expression. If everyone could only give $1 to a candidate or PAC, they would be able to express support just as equally as if they could give $100 (as long as everyone can give everyone the same amount, avoiding any equal protection issues). It is simply not true that more money = more right to expression, as SCOTUS seemed to say. Second, if the government ever had a compelling interest in regulating anything, it is in regulating campaign contributions. And limiting the contributions is pretty much the only way to reduce corruption.

All I'm saying is that I see the logic in protecting contributions at least somewhat under the First Amendment. People like to point out how ridiculous "money=speech" is, but the First Amendment protects a lot more than just speech.*

I do differ strongly from SCOTUS though, particularly in their asinine, self-serving assumptions that 1) more money is more expression, essentially meaning wealthy people are automatically entitled to more First Amendment protection, and 2) it is impossible for corruption to exist through campaign contributions.

*I know SCOTUS might have used the term speech in Citizens United, but if they did, they were clearly wrong. This is conduct. Just like the ability to circulate petitions is protected under the First Amendment as conduct.

What do you guys think of this "my brother's keepers" policy?

It sounds like a ineffectual way to address poverty and seems more like it would feed into republican narratives about lazy minorities when it inevitably fails to produce any meaningful results

also this sounds like battered wife syndrome, lol
It strikes me as typical Obama: a half measure that misses the mark. It also strikes me as quite late. However I find myself defending this due to the predictable way opponents have attacked it. Multiple black leaders throw a fit every time Obama mentions personal responsibility. I have never heard Obama deny institutional impediments but the question becomes what can he do about them? He can't stop state governments from starving inner cities of tax money, he can't unilaterally close gun loopholes that allow trafficking, etc.

Obama is not Booker T Washington. Yet even thoughtful black commentators get upset when he says black people need to work harder at x. Self reliance was one of the pillars of Malcolm X and many other 60s leaders' platforms, anytime you watch a "black state of the union" conference you hear the same thing, yet Obama says it and they get mad. And if Obama says nothing they accuse him of ignoring the issue.

There's nothing stopping black people from taking over school boards, creating after school programs, helping tutor children, cleaning up blocks of the city, etc yet it's not being done.

Personally I've wanted Obama to work with black athletes, entertainers, etc and bring money into these types of inner city programs, and work alongside churches to organize blacks. A national drive focusing on things such as after school programs, buying schoolbooks, mentor programs, etc. It won't fix the issue of banks not giving black businesses loans but it could slowly return us to the days when we were more organized and activist.

I understand Obama can't do a lot of things as a black president, especially during his first term. But I often find myself thinking that in many ways he is the best first black president we could have had, and the worst black president we could have had. His image, his family, his intelligence, his cool...all that strikes me as exactly what the first black president had to be; can you imagine if he had a daughter like Bristol Palin, with a kid out or wedlock? On the flip side his general loner personality and lack of conviction has always angered me; he constantly seems paralyzed when in a position of leadership, is too concerned about every variable, and doesn't seem to take risks unless he has to (Bin Laden). Sure Obama couldn't go full black in the WH but he could have done and said a lot more. His mere image is powerful sure, but I wish he talked more in inner city schools. I wish he used the power of influence to stir change. His entire 2007/2008 mantra was about grass roots action yet he abandoned it in 2009. The energy we see in NC on Moral Mondays is what I'd want to see in Chicago, Detroit, etc. And what better way to spark it than with Obama getting church folk off their asses, inspiring kids, bringing LeBron to a Big Brother after school program, etc.

gcubed

Indeed it would.

... You do know that the big companies didn't take any of the broadband stimulus money... Right?

It strikes me as typical Obama: a half measure that misses the mark. It also strikes me as quite late. However I find myself defending this due to the predictable way opponents have attacked it. Multiple black leaders throw a fit every time Obama mentions personal responsibility. I have never heard Obama deny institutional impediments but the question becomes what can he do about them? He can't stop state governments from starving inner cities of tax money, he can't unilaterally close gun loopholes that allow trafficking, etc.

Obama is not Booker T Washington. Yet even thoughtful black commentators get upset when he says black people need to work harder at x. Self reliance was one of the pillars of Malcolm X and many other 60s leaders' platforms, anytime you watch a "black state of the union" conference you hear the same thing, yet Obama says it and they get mad. And if Obama says nothing they accuse him of ignoring the issue.

There's nothing stopping black people from taking over school boards, creating after school programs, helping tutor children, cleaning up blocks of the city, etc yet it's not being done.

Personally I've wanted Obama to work with black athletes, entertainers, etc and bring money into these types of inner city programs, and work alongside churches to organize blacks. A national drive focusing on things such as after school programs, buying schoolbooks, mentor programs, etc. It won't fix the issue of banks not giving black businesses loans but it could slowly return us to the days when we were more organized and activist.

I understand Obama can't do a lot of things as a black president, especially during his first term. But I often find myself thinking that in many ways he is the best first black president we could have had, and the worst black president we could have had. His image, his family, his intelligence, his cool...all that strikes me as exactly what the first black president had to be; can you imagine if he had a daughter like Bristol Palin, with a kid out or wedlock? On the flip side his general loner personality and lack of conviction has always angered me; he constantly seems paralyzed when in a position of leadership, is too concerned about every variable, and doesn't seem to take risks unless he has to (Bin Laden). Sure Obama couldn't go full black in the WH but he could have done and said a lot more. His mere image is powerful sure, but I wish he talked more in inner city schools. I wish he used the power of influence to stir change. His entire 2007/2008 mantra was about grass roots action yet he abandoned it in 2009. The energy we see in NC on Moral Mondays is what I'd want to see in Chicago, Detroit, etc. And what better way to spark it than with Obama getting church folk off their asses, inspiring kids, bringing LeBron to a Big Brother after school program, etc.

i'm sorry, but are you saying you would have liked for Obama to concentrate more energy on helping poor black folks, to give them more energy than other poor people? Cuz you know, there are other poor folks than black folks

I do at least understand where they were coming from. Most 'speech' requires money. If you have a picket sign you paid for that, if you hold a rally you probably paid for a few things, printing a newspaper requires money, they're smaller examples but the concept shows that sometimes money can be integral to speech. Having an extremely onerous restrictions on the publishing industry but framing it as just regulating money clearly would run afoul of the 1st amendment. Nominal restrictions could be targeted at the spending of money not at the speech but we include them together because often is directly tied to the speech. The expression of speech in many cases requires money. There are cases where a limit on money is limiting speech.

That being said I think its quite clear self evidently that campaign fiance and especially under its current form isn't about protecting speech. The first amendment wasn't created to allow special interests to flood the discourse and leave the other 300 million without much of a voice. I'm just not a great legal mind to express this very well. I think one thing they got wrong in Buckey v. Valeo was the fact that the law would limit speech (and I'm still not sure what they mean by the 'quantity of speech'). I don't think it did

i'm sorry, but are you saying you would have liked for Obama to concentrate more energy on helping poor black folks, to give them more energy than other poor people? Cuz you know, there are other poor folks than black folks

Way to project something that isn't there. PD isn't saying he should ignore other people just the problems with the black community deserve a lot of attention. This 'class not race' deflection is tiring.

xnipx

There are other poor folks who have been systematically placed there for the past 400 or so years? Not saying it's right or wrong. But African Americans definitely deserve more attention to try and reverse the trends that have been intentionally put in place to impede their social and economic progress.

Obama is too scared of pissing off people like you to actually do that tho. He could personally write the same plans to try and help black people out more and have a white president implement them and they wouldn't be seen as a bad thing.

That's exactly what I'm not saying. More than a few black commentators wanted Obama to pass some type of black stimulus aimed directly at black communities; iirc the black caucus withdrew support from the 2009 stimulus at one point because it allegedly overlooked black communities. Obama's counter argument was that a rising tide lifts all boats, which is less true for black people but still accurate (see black unemployment during Reagan or Clinton's terms). I'm not advocating for one groups being given more than another.

My point is that Obama was in a position to make a lot of impact in the black community due to being...black. I'm not saying he shouldn't go to rural white areas, I'm saying he has a better impact in black areas. The same way Bush and Clinton managed to effectively speak directly to rural whites, Obama was in a position to do that with blacks. He still is.

There's nothing controversial about the steps I laid out; the far right would complain but who gives a shit. Part of the reason black commentators dislike self reliance narratives is because they appeal to white people. Whites have always enjoyed black leaders who criticize their own race, starting with Booker T Washington telling nigger jokes. And while things have changed since then, whites still prefer black messages about self reliance. When Obama tells black men they need to be better fathers, white people respond positively. There's no danger in helping form big brother programs with private funds, or Obama spending an hour in some beat down black school talking about hard work, or getting churches involved in inner city issues. These are all constructive ways to address inequality instead of sitting around a table complaining with Cornell West.

It would be ridiculous to suggest that the first black president wasn't in a position to talk to blacks in a way no other president has or could. And given how much conservatives discuss the death of the black family, I doubt many would outright complain over Obama taking a more direct role in advocating these issues with the backing of private money, celebs, etc. A lot of this work would also be behind the scenes anyway, from merging with black leaders to setting up events.

thefro

You're forgetting a couple:

- Ben Carson
- Condoleeza Rice
-Suzanna Martinez
- Phil Robertson

- Paul Ryan
-Donald Trump for about 2 seconds as well.

Romney probably ought to be on the list about 3-4 times just for humor's sake (flipping between Moderate Mitt and Tea Party Mitt)

It's actually still worse because someone who makes $20 million most likely does it through capital gains. Those are taxed at 25% (21% + ACA taxes) compared to wages at 35%.

Which is why I think the exemption should be changed at some level (say $1 million) in some way (or removed). That would drastically change what is going on. The entire issue is how long term capital gains are taxed.

Most of the money that corporate executives make is regular income. When they are paid in stock, that is not a capital gain, but compensation. (When they sell the stock that they earn, that is a capital gain.) There is of course a lot of income that is capital gains at the top (far more than elsewhere along the income spectrum), but there is also a lot of income at the top that is earned income (compensation) and not capital gains. Executive compensation is earned income, and executives make up a huge chunk of the top 0.01%. So I disagree that capital gains is all that matters. Certainly I support treating capital gains no better than earned income, but if you don't also address earned income at extremely high levels, you will be missing a lot of income.

Oblivion

Just gonna leave this right here:

"The rise of the tea party movement is the most important development in politics since the advent of the Reagan Democrat," Ronald Reagan biographer Craig Shirley told the Washington Times. He added:

"Today, the American tea party represents the intellectualism of Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson and Ronald Reagan. These men believed in the citizenry and not the state . . . The intellectuals of the American tea party don't confuse sophistication with intellectualism. They know better even if the elites do not. The tea party also knows that it is impractical, indeed anti-intellectual, to try to govern this vast and diverse country from one corrupt city by the Potomac River."

In a speech filled with digs at President Obama and other Democratic leaders, Bachmann drew laughter and applause from a less-than-packed ballroom at a Capitol Hill hotel this morning.

“The tea party movement at its core is an intellectual movement,” Bachmann said. “These are ideas that I would put up against any ideas in the world.”

“I know that we have the intellectual ballast, I know we have the fortitude and I know we have the energy to make it all happen. It’s up to us. Let’s take the challenge and get it done.”

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...wouldn-t-trust-them-with-scissors?detail=hide

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
It incenticizes investment.

There's no evidence of this and at such low income tax rates, I doubt you'd ever find any.

That's part of the reasoning behind it. But here's the main problem that Congress in 1921 tried to address by enacting the first preferential rates on capital gains:

House Ways and Means Committee said:
The sale of . . . capital assets is now seriously retarded by the fact that gains and profits earned over a series of years are under the present law taxed as a lump sum (and the amount of surtax greatly enhanced thereby) in the year in which the profit is realized. Many such sales, with their possible profit taking and consequent increase of the tax revenue, have been blocked by this feature of the present law.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

Yep. Needs a 45 bracket over the top, and a 55 over that (at 2 million and 10 million?)

Edit: Or shoot. Just make it 10, 20, 30, 40, 50.

FSmbLi1.jpg

How the fuck is anyone supposed to take the GOP seriously?

GOP:The deficit! Obama is running up massive debt! The deficit is out of control! . . . So let's cut taxes!

Troll party.

dabig2

How the fuck is anyone supposed to take the GOP seriously?

GOP:The deficit! Obama is running up massive debt! The deficit is out of control! . . . So let's cut taxes!

Troll party.

Because they've convinced a wide swath of the general public that cutting taxes -> infinite revenue.

Most of the money that corporate executives make is regular income. When they are paid in stock, that is not a capital gain, but compensation. (When they sell the stock that they earn, that is a capital gain.) There is of course a lot of income that is capital gains at the top (far more than elsewhere along the income spectrum), but there is also a lot of income at the top that is earned income (compensation) and not capital gains. Executive compensation is earned income, and executives make up a huge chunk of the top 0.01%. So I disagree that capital gains is all that matters. Certainly I support treating capital gains no better than earned income, but if you don't also address earned income at extremely high levels, you will be missing a lot of income.

Of course, and I'm not unopposed to creating a new bracket for millionaires or whatever the line is (I've always been in favor of it, in fact) but I'd rather close this loophole first and then work on bringing in a new rate because I think that is a much harder fight in this country.

That's part of the reasoning behind it. But here's the main problem that Congress in 1921 tried to address by enacting the first preferential rates on capital gains:

That's the reasoning given today. The reasoning given in 1921 is also wrong for today.

Piecake

Do you have data for this? Can't say that I will take something like this on the word of huge Laissez-faire, pro-business politicians.

Also, I am not really sure why a policy that, in effect, promotes long-term investments is a bad thing.

“I am absolutely convinced we are going to repeal every single word of Obamacare,” Cruz told the Tea Party audience.

“If you listen to the media, if you listen to Democrats — although I repeat myself — they will say the fight to stop Obamacare did not succeed,” Cruz said. “Really? Well, I’m a big believer the proof is in the pudding. Last fall, millions of Americans rose up and said, ‘Stop the disaster that is Obamacare.’”

LOL

BP92VrV.jpg

Democrats just landed amazing candidates in Kansas and Mississippi.

Too bad Kansas and Mississippi.

Hm? Brownback was trailing in the last poll in Kansas, unless you're talking about Pat Roberts Senate seat. Which I have no idea why anyone would want to waste the time and resources on the Senate in Kansas, they haven't sent a Dem to the Senate since 1932, who was then voted out in 1938.

To be honest I can actually see a Dem win in Mississippi if Cochran goes down in the primary.

Karakand

What's the argument for taxing capital gains at a lower rate, anyway? Is there one?

(aside from "wealthy people have the resources to lobby for a different capital gains rate")

There's an inflation penalty on capital gains taxes. (Tax is assessed on both the real gain and the gain attributable to inflation over time.)

Capital losses are limited but gains are not. (For tax purposes you're only allowed to deduct capital losses of $ 3,000.00 and carry the remaining amount forward but there's no cap on how much of your capital gains may be taxed in the current year.)

Oblivion

Ronald Reagan's crying himself to sleep in rich man's heaven:

“The Treasury said revenue climbed $324 billion, to $2.8 trillion, from 2012 to 2013. That is growth of around 12.9 percent, reflecting both higher income tax rates and the strengthening economy.”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/the-incredible-shrinking-deficit

Alternative Republican friendly headline: “Obama's job killing tax hikes subtract -$300 billion in revenues!”

Oblivion

Seriously, the past twenty years have been nothing but trouble for the supply-siders.

"You can't raise taxes! The job creators will flee to Somalia, and the economy will plunge into a major recession!"
Result: biggest peacetime economic boom in history

"Well, if so many jobs were created under Clinton's job killing tax hikes, imagine how many tens of millions MORE will be created if we cut taxes!"
Result: slowest growing economy since the Great Depression

And now we have this. Somewhere out there Grover Norquist is in a corner somewhere staring into space, while grinding his teeth furiously.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Well I'm not sure why you think the same reasoning has to apply to money as physically speaking. With money a limit make sense due to concerns about power and corruption that don't apply to physical speech. I'm sure physical speech and speech done electronically have slight variations in what is okay and what isn't, so I see it different forms of speech are treated a bit differently for the sake of practicality.

"Money is speech except that it's different" just doesn't make much sense to me. In my mind you having to argue why money is different than speech proves that money isn't speech.

Also in what way is electronic speech different from physical speech in the eyes of the law?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom