• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
eA9Lcb8.jpg

Diablos

Does anyone else think Obama is a closeted secular person? I know he invokes scripture a lot but he's also a politican... I don't know. It just seems like to Obama, religion is a very social thing, but not necessarily what represents him at a deep level... even if campaign Obama would tell you otherwise.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Does anyone else think Obama is a closeted secular person? I know he invokes scripture a lot but he's also a politican... I don't know. It just seems like to Obama, religion is a very social thing, but not necessarily what represents him at a deep level... even if campaign Obama would tell you otherwise.

That is somewhat the feeling I got from reading The Audacity of Hope. At the very least the fact that his mother raised him in a very secular, anthropological environment strongly influenced how he views religion, even if he is also a true believer. There's an explicit comment I remember in the vein of "while my mother was an atheist, I knew I wanted to join in the community of Christianity" or something

Diablos

That is somewhat the feeling I got from reading The Audacity of Hope. At the very least the fact that his mother raised him in a very secular, anthropological environment strongly influenced how he views religion, even if he is also a true believer. There's an explicit comment I remember in the vein of "while my mother was an atheist, I knew I wanted to join in the community of Christianity" or something
Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point post-Presidency Obama opens and hints at or outright reveals that he holds a lot of secular views.

If you read in between the lines of what he has written, it seems like he wanted to better understand what the vast majority of Americans believe and not just what his mother may have instilled in him -- and after understanding that, connect with people of faith to better analyze the best way to speak to the needs of those people and promote and enact policies that they wanted (particularly domestic/social level stuff). It makes sense especially when you see how he grew up; he was exposed to various aspects of culture/society by the time he got through college. More than most Americans ever would particularly by that point.

I think what you are trying to say is that he is not from real America. I agree with you.

Gary Peters will be fine in Michigan; I'd imagine they already have a Detroit rally planned with Obama. His opponent actually just flip flopped on Obamacare; last year she was on the 100% repeal wagon, now she says the Medicaid expansion is amazing.

Nope. I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if decades later, when it was safer, Obama would come out as either non-religious or agnostic.

Bill Maher likes to say it occasionally.

Tamanon

Banned

I'm not entirely sure what you actually mean by "closeted secular person". I think a vast majority of people in the world are both religious and secular. Religion doesn't manifest itself in all their beliefs, only in some philosophical ones.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I'm not entirely sure what you actually mean by "closeted secular person". I think a vast majority of people in the world are both religious and secular. Religion doesn't manifest itself in all their beliefs, only in some philosophical ones.

"Secular" is definitely the wrong word to use here. Everyone engages in all manner of secular activities (e.g., getting an oil change or petting a dog), and hold beliefs that are not religious beliefs (e.g., "2 + 2 = 4," "I should probably change my oil now," or "Dogs are awesome"). I think the word he was looking for is "atheist."

Or "Muslim."

Just in case it's unclear, I'm kidding with the above spoilered remark.

Tamanon

Banned
If he means atheist, then definitely not. I think too many people have bought into this idea that science and religion are opposite sides instead of possibly being complimentary.

Obama strikes me as someone who embraced religion largely due to the community aspect, and while he doesn't seem deeply religious he certainly believes in god. Churches in Chicago gave him a place to stay, food to eat, etc. He seems religious in the way an American Catholic is religious: attend service every now and then, read some verses, but ultimately his religious experience is personal (not a big spectacle).

If he means atheist, then definitely not. I think too many people have bought into this idea that science and religion are opposite sides instead of possibly being complimentary.

Does anyone recall when science and religion began this huge gap from being complementary studies?

I mean, weren't the same thinkers like Euclid that created forms of rudimentary math also well known scholars/philosophers as well?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Obama strikes me as someone who embraced religion largely due to the community aspect, and while he doesn't seem deeply religious he certainly believes in god. Churches in Chicago gave him a place to stay, food to eat, etc. He seems religious in the way an American Catholic is religious: attend service every now and then, read some verses, but ultimately his religious experience is personal (not a big spectacle).

In other words he's basically a weekend worshiper.

I can certainly live with that.

Oblivion

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/...you-cant-point-to-god-to-excuse-your-bigotry/

Somebody help me out here. This is something I keep hearing from conservatives but I don't seem to get the distinction. In that clip above, Rich Lowry says that nobody's trying to discriminate with the Arizona bill and that it doesn't allow people to refuse service to gay people. Then, mere seconds later he says that if somebody (in this case a baker) wants to refuse to provide service to a gay person, because of their "conscientious objections", it's totally fine to do so.

How does that work? And I'm not even being snarky here. Cause I seriously don't understand the distinction.

Chichikov

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/...you-cant-point-to-god-to-excuse-your-bigotry/

Somebody help me out here. This is something I keep hearing from conservatives but I don't seem to get the distinction. In that clip above, Rich Lowry says that nobody's trying to discriminate with the Arizona bill and that it doesn't allow people to refuse service to gay people. Then, mere seconds later he says that if somebody (in this case a baker) wants to refuse to provide service to a gay person, because of their "conscientious objections", it's totally fine to do so.

How does that work? And I'm not even being snarky here. Cause I seriously don't understand the distinction.
If I understand correctly, you can't refuse to serve them coffee but you can refuse to bake them a cake.
Rich Lowry is a fucking idiot, always have been; Van Jones was bringing the truth.

Tamanon

Banned
Guys, I honestly had no idea that little asshole Mark Penn from the '08 Clinton campaign worked for Microsoft now. Apparently he was behind that stupid Scroogled campaign, which is hilarious in hindsight.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Watching the video, all I can see that he is offering as a distinction is that it takes more effort, interaction, and/or participation to bake a cake or arrange flowers than to serve a coffee?

So, if you are religious and can't stomach gay people, you can and should probably just suck up the 30 seconds of interaction it takes to serve a coffee, but you are unnecessarily burdened when you have to spend more than 2 minutes discussing cake requirements?

Take that high disposable income money and run when you can religious bigots! Gays can't impose their agenda on you in a coffee shop as it takes at least 60 seconds of conversation before gay propaganda starts taking affect!

The ironic part is gay people's money is just as green as everyone else's. So really we finally found the one thing more important than money: bigotry!

The wedding excuse opens quite a slippery slope. If you can reject to serve someone based on your religious views, how far does that go? Sure serving someone coffee has nothing to do with religion, I'll give Lowry that - however what about a local rec center basketball coach who requires a permission slip from parents to join the team, and refuses to accept one from a kid with gay parents? What about a hotel owner who refuses to allow a gay couple to spend the right? Bakers and florists aren't the only professions that deal with marriage.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Sure serving someone coffee has nothing to do with religion, I'll give Lowry that

Well, unless you are serving up coffee to gay people on a coffee date, and therefore helping facilitate their relationship? What if a gay couple proposes over coffee?

In other words, there is practically no end to the slippery slope.

He's religious. I don't know why atheists keep thinking he isn't. Its always been a part of his life, its in his books and every campaign, interview, etc.

Do you think only evangelicals are Christians?

I still want to know which will come first:

Muslim or Atheist President

There have been non-christian non-Abraham religion presidents before. Multiple.

It will be an agnostic. There's more of them. They won't be an atheists because they're annoying and pretentious most of the time.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Let's say you believe tha Obama is closet agnostic or atheist. If he ever "came out" it would be akin to his "evolution" on same sex marraige. He will say his views changed not "lol I straight up concealed this from you when it was electorally expedient, now what bitches?"

Angry Fork

I always got the impression he was not a believer based on his upbringing. It's one of the few positives about him. Keeping it secret (if true) is a negative though obviously.

Let's say you believe tha Obama is closet agnostic or atheist. If he ever "came out" it would be akin to his "evolution" on same sex marraige. He will say his views changed not "lol I straight up concealed this from you when it was electorally expedient, now what bitches?"

Not like it would matter. Most who hate him are dead set in their ways

Oblivion

If I understand correctly, you can't refuse to serve them coffee but you can refuse to bake them a cake.
Rich Lowry is a fucking idiot, always have been; Van Jones was bringing the truth.

Watching the video, all I can see that he is offering as a distinction is that it takes more effort, interaction, and/or participation to bake a cake or arrange flowers than to serve a coffee?

So, if you are religious and can't stomach gay people, you can and should probably just suck up the 30 seconds of interaction it takes to serve a coffee, but you are unnecessarily burdened when you have to spend more than 2 minutes discussing cake requirements?

Take that high disposable income money and run when you can religious bigots! Gays can't impose their agenda on you in a coffee shop as it takes at least 60 seconds of conversation before gay propaganda starts taking affect!

Yeah, like I said, it makes no sense to me.

The ironic part is gay people's money is just as green as everyone else's. So really we finally found the one thing more important than money: bigotry!

I think they would try and justify this by saying they're trying to give more power to the job creators by allowing them to turn away anyone they disapproved of.

Also too:

zRf8rZW.jpg

Regarding the Obama closet atheist/agnostic thing, I think Penn Gillete got it right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJGxVeQw3SE

Gotchaye

Where is the evidence for Obama not being a believer? Its like you guys think a good guy can't be religious and believe in God

Mostly it's that he wasn't raised Christian. Most people in his situation would not be Christians. By his own account, he didn't become a Christian until adulthood, by which time being known as a Christian would likely have been immediately useful to him in his work as a community organizer.

So in the absence of costly signals from him that he is actually Christian (these are basically impossible for him to provide at this point), there's at least a significant chance that he's not a believer in the usual sense (that he can't sincerely affirm the Nicene Creed, say).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Where is the evidence for Obama not being a believer? Its like you guys think a good guy can't be religious and believe in God

"Evidence" for me mostly comes from Audacity of Hope where he discusses his faith and very much puts it in terms of how he was raised by an atheist mother but joined "the community of Christianity" without really commenting on the whole "believing in the Bible" part. Do I think he doesn't believe in the Bible? No. Do I think the odds are higher then say, an actively devout person who was raised in the Bible Belt? Yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom