• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
So @brianstelter of CNN's Reliable Sources has tweeted this:

Per @Debates commission:
Lester Holt has selected these topics for 9/26
> America's Direction
> Achieving Prosperity
> Securing America

Owzers

im really worried of clinton underperforming during the debates :( OR just blundering

i think Trump wins the debates, every time he gets cornered he'll talk about emails or Benghazi and i don't think Hillary will handle it well. Moderators aren't going to keep the debate focused and people will complain how out of hand it gets after he's declared the debate winner.

User1608

Banned
So now Trump is pretty much calling Muslims/immigrants/any minorities snakes if I'm listening correctly.

What a start. I should really be watching agents of shield.

kevin1025

Banned
Clinton will talk circles around Trump.

Plus with the moderators they've chosen, the only one I'm worried about is Chris Wallace.

But he might pull what he did with Rubio and Cruz when they were thrashing him, where he just shouts over them and then claims he won no matter what.

Bowdz

So @brianstelter of CNN's Reliable Sources has tweeted this:

Likely questions:

Secretary Clinton, how can you take this country in the right direction when you took your email server in the wrong direction?

Secretary Clinton, how can you make America prosperous when your email security was not prosperous?

Secretary Clinton, how can you secure American when you can't secure your server?

Joeytj

Banned
Likely questions:

Secretary Clinton, how can you take this country in the right direction when you took your email server in the wrong direction?

Secretary Clinton, how can you make America prosperous when your email security was not prosperous?

Secretary Clinton, how can you secure American when you can secure your server?

I legit Loled.

But he might pull what he did with Rubio and Cruz when they were thrashing him, where he just shouts over them and then claims he won no matter what.

Rubio and Cruz were hamstrung by having to cater to the people Trump was courting, Clinton doesn't have to play to the Republican base in any way.

Boke1879

Clinton will be fine in the debates. This is where she can talk policy and pretty much show her knowledge on things.

Of course there will be some back and forth from the candidates, but this is a presidential debate. Not a primary and if Trump feels threatened and starts name calling and shouting. That's just not a good look. Shows it's easy to rattle him.

User1608

Banned
Clinton will be fine in the debates. This is where she can talk policy and pretty much show her knowledge on things.

Of course there will be some back and forth from the candidates, but this is a presidential debate. Not a primary and if Trump feels threatened and starts name calling and shouting. That's just not a good look. Shows it's easy to rattle him.
Yeah, it's going to be an embarrassing sight if and when he calls her crooked in front of national television.

Man you wanna talk about bad optics?

Look guys if you want to conjure up nightmare debate scenarios why are you reading or following anything. How little do you think of Clinton? Take a bunch of NyQuil and wake up in early November.

Piecake

Gabonese President Ali Bongo Ondimba was scheduled to attend a swanky gala on Monday hosted by the Atlantic Council, a well-known Washington-based think tank, to accept an award for “his life of public service and efforts to improve the lives of the people of Gabon.” Unfortunately for the dictator, he was forced to cancel at the last moment because of mounting unrest in his country — the bloody fallout from a likely stolen election on Aug. 27. (International observers declared the vote fraudulent after the regime reported an improbable 95.5 percent victory for Bongo in his home province amid 99.98 percent voter turnout.)

Days of violent protests followed. At least 50 people were killed, and more than 1,000 were arrested by security forces, according to the opposition. Gabon remains under a 12-hour-a-day curfew, but the Atlantic Council has not officially rescinded the award, which it previously bestowed on the likes of Robert De Niro and Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.

Yet it’s not clear how Bongo was ever considered a worthy candidate for the award in the first place. The notoriously corrupt leader has ruled Gabon since 2009, when he succeeded his father, Omar Bongo Ondimba, in a fraudulent election. (The Bongo family has exerted almost complete control over Gabonese politics, business, and civil society since 1967.) The country scores the lowest possible rating on Freedom House’s civil and political rights indices, and anti-government protestors are often met with violence or even killed.

The Bongo regime has an even worse record when it comes to corruption. The president and his family treat the national treasury like a private bank account, appropriating hundreds of millions of dollars in public funds for personal use, according to U.S. and French investigators. The government is built on what Gabonese prosecutors have described as a “mafia-like” network of fake civil servants who receive salaries despite not having official jobs.

By recognizing him with a Global Citizen Award, the Atlantic Council is helping Bongo shed his image as an outrageously corrupt autocrat. The democratically elected leaders of Japan and Italy, Shinzo Abe and Matteo Renzi, respectively, will receive their awards on Monday as scheduled at a gala at the American Museum of Natural History in New York. Had Bongo not been busy putting down a protest movement opposed to his rule, he would have been able to present himself as a similarly legitimate leader.

The Atlantic Council has long trumpeted its objectivity and independence, but feting Bongo is just the latest in a series of troubling developments at the think tank that raise questions about its commitment to transparency and ability to keep business interests separate from its research and policy operations. Gabon is not the only dictatorship the Atlantic Council has cozied up to: The Kingdom of Bahrain is listed on the organization’s website as a six-figure donor, and it has received financial support from the governments of Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia, and Kazakhstan. Alexander Mirtchev, one of the directors of Kazakhstan’s sovereign wealth fund, sits on the executive committee of the Atlantic Council’s board of directors and is listed as a six-figure donor.

Because the Atlantic Council does not publicly disclose all of its funders, or the size and date of their donations, it is difficult to discern the precise nature of the organization’s relationship with the Bongo regime. Did the government of Gabon or someone acting on its behalf donate funds to the Atlantic Council? Do other Atlantic Council donors or partners stand to benefit from business dealings in Gabon? Until these questions are answered, the credibility of one of Washington’s most venerated think tanks will remain in question, and its Global Citizen Award will remain a joke.

‘Independent’ Think Tank Honors African Dictator as ‘Global Citizen’

The NY Times had a good story about a month ago that talked about Think-Tanks basically being shills for their corporate donors

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/08/us/politics/think-tanks-research-and-corporate-lobbying.html

Joeytj

Banned

It's been a while that Clinton actually debated true opponents in debates. She debated Obama and Bernie in the primaries, but she held back.

But, honestly, the few times I can remember in the last couple of years where she has had to face Republicans (debates and congressional hearings) she's always come out on top.

he might also pull out knives and shank everyone in attendance, that doesn't mean you need to piss yourself over the possibility

It's been a while that Clinton actually debated true opponents in debates. She debated Obama and Bernie in the primaries, but she held back.

But, honestly, the few times I can remember in the last couple of years where she has had to face Republicans (debates and congressional hearings) she's always come out on top.

Right? When was the last time you saw Hillary Clinton flustered? If they're preparing like they should, it'll be like all the training weights being taken off.

I legitimately get the vibe that while she understands how seriously bad a Trump presidency would be for the country, Trump the individual doesn't even make her blink.

kevin1025

Banned
He just said she "bleached" the hard drives again. I think he is picturing cleaning up a crime scene with computer hardware all over the place.

he might also pull out knives and shank everyone in attendance, that doesn't mean you need to piss yourself over the possibility

I'm more concerned how badly he's going to hurt discussion. He might try and devolve things to a whole new level, though she'll avoid it very easily.

Joeytj

Banned
Right? When was the last time you saw Hillary Clinton flustered? If they're preparing like they should, it'll be like all the training weights being taken off.

Well, she does get flustered a bit, but with other Democrats. And even then, it's to a minimum.

This is the type of thing that needs to be in every Hillary commercial. Today's income inequality thing was the first step. Now show the rural poor that voting for Trump makes zero sense.

Rural poor people don't care since Hillary is pro-choice. Also, Muslims.

The Left needs to stop with the "poor people vote against their interests" talk. They don't vote against their interests because those interests are social, not economic. Rural people aren't voting for anyone who's left of center socially.

Joeytj

Banned
He just said she "bleached" the hard drives again. I think he is picturing cleaning up a crime scene with computer hardware all over the place.

Haha, yeah. I really think nobody has told him she didn't literally "bleach" the servers, although Trump wouldn't care anyway. He knows the accusation of Hillary literally wiping servers desperately in a secret room makes for a fun and humiliating mental picture

Sianos

Remember the 11 hour Benghazi marathon? And how afterwards despite being grilled for 11 hours and even COUGHING!!! she came out of it looking so amazing that even the busters of the time were commending her?

Low expectations are good, but let's not sell Hillary short here.

Mizerman

Remember the 11 hour Benghazi marathon? And how afterwards despite being grilled for 11 hours and even COUGHING!!! she came out of it looking so amazing that even the busters of the time were commending her?

Low expectations are good, but let's not sell Hillary short here.

Especially against people politically savvier than Trump by a mile. Didn't really faze her.

This is my actual concern for the debates:

Clinton will deliver calm, direct, and satisfying answers to the people who are actually listening. People who are not won over, or don't like her, will just think she was boring.

Trump will say things that don't make sense and repeat halves of sentences that amount to nothing of any substance, but they will satisfy people he has already won over and the media will praise his temperament.

Then post-debate polls will come in and nothing will have changed at all. All things considered, I think this is the worst case scenario. It's still enough to keep me up at night because I have adult onset colic.

mo60

So now Trump is pretty much calling Muslims/immigrants/any minorities snakes if I'm listening correctly.

What a start. I should really be watching agents of shield.

I wonder if the republicans will learn the same lesson after this election that the conservatives in Canada learned about bashing muslims/immigrants to an extent because I have a feeling trump's going to do historically bad with muslims and minorities in general especially if he continues to do what he has been doing today and in general in the last year or so. By historically bad I mean possibly even worse than polls are currently showing.

Clinton will deliver calm, direct, and satisfying answers to the people who are actually listening. People who are not won over, or don't like her, will just think she was boring.

Trump will say things that don't make sense and repeat halves of sentences that amount to nothing of any substance, but they will satisfy people he has already won over and the media will praise his temperament.

It makes me wonder who's playing Trump for her/what the debate prep is like. Hopefully they are thinking about this exact thing.

kevin1025

Banned
"I will fight to bring us together as one American people. Imagine what our country can accomplish if we started working together as one people, under one god, saluting one American flag." - Donald J. Trump, just now.

"One god."

Yep.

Bowdz

Then post-debate polls will come in and nothing will have changed at all. All things considered, I think this is the worst case scenario. It's still enough to keep me up at night.

I think this is a definite possibility. I hope Hillary has some one line zingers ready in response for Trump's bullshit because it's a lot easier to drop a drive by strongman lie than it is to rebut them. Clinton, like Obama, can get bogged down in the weeds (because she cares and knows about the details) and that can certainly be a negative against Trump, but when she's on point with quick, snappy rebuttals, she's hard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom