• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukkoyaki

saluting one American flag

Which one?!?!

LPO872miva.jpg

"I will fight to bring us together as one American people. Imagine what our country can accomplish if we started working together as one people, under one god, saluting one American flag." - Donald J. Trump, just now.

"One god."

Yep.
That's it, time to deport Hindus and Atheists.

User1608

Banned
I wonder if the republicans will learn the same lesson after this election that the conservatives in Canada learned about bashing muslims/immigrants to an extent because I have a feeling trump's going to do historically bad with muslims and minorities in general especially if he continues to do what he has been doing today and in general in the last year or so. By historically bad I mean posisbly even worse than polls are currently showing.
I doubt they will learn after their post mortem several years back. Look where they are now. The damage will be done if Trump loses.
It makes me wonder who's playing Trump for her/what the debate prep is like. Hopefully they are thinking about this exact thing.
Indeed. I sometimes wonder who is playing Hillary on their side. Is it based on the real deal or some caricature that they have fabricated the last 25+ years?
"I will fight to bring us together as one American people. Imagine what our country can accomplish if we started working together as one people, under one god, saluting one American flag." - Donald J. Trump, just now.

"One god."

Yep.
lol. He's an asshole and he probably doesn't even believe in God.
Everyone posting Trump lines like it's his first time saying them
Guilty as charged.

Zukkoyaki

Why the fuck did Trump gain ground at Fivethirtyeight between yesterday and today??
Because they have the most awkward model of any major forecaster and will literally include any poll from anywhere in their sample. Honestly nothing has changed since yesterday. Looking at their updates it seems to be the result of adding some polls from freaking February and still including the LA Times poll on a daily basis.

Sianos

Can we get a margin of error for that "one god" statement by Trump? ±5, maybe?

This is my actual concern for the debates:

Clinton will deliver calm, direct, and satisfying answers to the people who are actually listening. People who are not won over, or don't like her, will just think she was boring.

Trump will say things that don't make sense and repeat halves of sentences that amount to nothing of any substance, but they will satisfy people he has already won over and the media will praise his temperament.

Then post-debate polls will come in and nothing will have changed at all. All things considered, I think this is the worst case scenario. It's still enough to keep me up at night because I have adult onset colic.

Yeah, this is the only worst case scenario that I think has any reasonable chance of happening. I personally think that the moderators will be a little more... responsive after Lauer's shitshow backfired so heavily, though.

HylianTom

Banned
If the worst case scenario is the polls don't change after the debates, that still means Hillary wins, so how is that worth losing sleep over
I'm greedy. I want polls showing that we'll know really early on Election Night.

Waiting for Colorado and Nevada to roll in sounds a bit nerve-wracking.. :p

I think this is a definite possibility. I hope Hillary has some one line zingers ready in response for Trump's bullshit because it's a lot easier to drop a drive by strongman lie than it is to rebut them. Clinton, like Obama, can get bogged down in the weeds (because she cares and knows about the details) and that can certainly be a negative against Trump, but when she's on point with quick, snappy rebuttals, she's hard to beat.

I can actually remember the exact moment I became a Clinton supporter.

It was still during the primary and I was a Bernie guy. I said I would always vote for Clinton in the GE, but I would rather vote for Bernie. So I was no buster.

I had watched a lot Bernie interviews and I was tiring of how his answer to every question was the same. Billionaires. Wall Street. Over and over. And then I happened to stumble upon an interview Maddow was doing with Hillary and decided to watch it and see how the interviews differed. I was just amazed at how much HRC seemed to know her stuff. And it occurred to me that this was a woman who had a real answer to every question, not just an ideology to repeat.

But the thing that actually won me was Maddow asked her if HRC had any plans to court Sanders supporters and her eyes went wide, she leaned forward, and she said that she had 3.6 million more votes than him (might have been a different number, don't remember exactly). Her message and her plans were already favored by 3.6 million more people. And the energy that she just shot that out, almost with irritation, really hit me. Like, damn, she's right. Why are we pretending she isn't winning? And I was really impressed that she just cut through the bull shit. Because everybody at the time was talking about how HRC was going to court Sanders voters, even when she was winning. But nobody ever asked Bernie Sanders how he would court HRC voters, even when he was losing.

And I thought that this was the person I would want to debate Donald Trump.

So I want that HRC on stage. The HRC that basically says "can we fucking not?" and doesn't entertain the bull shit. That's my president.

If the worst case scenario is the polls don't change after the debates, that still means Hillary wins, so how is that worth losing sleep over

Is this not Bedwetters Anonymous?? This is supposed to be a safe space!

Why the fuck did Trump gain ground at Fivethirtyeight between yesterday and today??

LAT staying the way it is and that national poll where both of them are getting 35 or below. The model is only as good as what gets put in it and right now there's a lot of poor quality stuff going in.

User1608

Banned
Even if she wins, which I would personally still be very happy with, given her current momentum, my guess it's because of how hateful Trump and his campaign has been, some of the members here will have wished Hillary could have won by a far bigger margin to delegitimize him and his supporters as much as possible.

Still, does make me miss Romney and McCain of all people...:p

mo60

Even if she wins, which I would personally still be very happy with, given her current momentum, my guess it's because of how hateful Trump and his campaign has been, some of the members here will have wished Hillary could have won by a far bigger margin to delegitimize him and his supporters as much as possible.

Still, does make me miss Romney and McCain of all people...:p

I still think a justin trudeau or Obama 08 like win margin is possible for her.A win margin like that will be above 7 points definitely. Voters will probably break for her late.She just needs to make sure to run as positive of a campaign as possible in the next two months or so.

Why is unaffiliated up so much as well? Hillary's ground game grabbing random people who aren't normally into politics, or angry white people who never vote who are voting this year?

Fox318

I just saw a Jill Stein sign on the same lawn as a Trump sign.

I can only imagine that couple have incredible angry sex.

Dem ground game in NC is supposed to be good.

It's solid. Feels behind the 2008 effort in terms of manpower but it's also eight years smarter than that effort too.

Also the NCAA and the ACC taking a giant dump on the state GOP is causing massive problems. Not even in most obvious ways-it's not just men suburban men upset that the GOP defend HB2 for no real reason, but it's also that entire communities (like Cary, a cruical Raleigh suburb) got wrecked when years of planning to host some championships went up in flames.

Diablos

Shhhh

I worry about someone blowing stuff up or shooting people on Election Day. 2016 has been such a clusterfuck, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens somewhere.

Wow. Updated for today. This is pretty incredible for Democrats.
Good stuff.

Obama 2012 + NC + AZ + GA + NE-2 is the best possible outcome that's still within the realm of possibility. Anything more than that is liberal pipe dream "omg Clinton wins Texas" territory (which could still happen if Trump severely implodes but I'd put that at the 1% end of the spectrum of possibility).

Why is unaffiliated up so much as well? Hillary's ground game grabbing random people who aren't normally into politics, or angry white people who never vote who are voting this year?

Maybe they're younger voters. I think younger voters tend to register as independents, even if they always vote one way or another. It gives them a shield and makes them feel above the politics.

Bowdz

I can actually remember the exact moment I became a Clinton supporter.

It was still during the primary and I was a Bernie guy. I said I would always vote for Clinton in the GE, but I would rather vote for Bernie. So I was no buster.

I had watched a lot Bernie interviews and I was tiring of how his answer to every question was the same. Billionaires. Wall Street. Over and over. And then I happened to stumble upon an interview Maddow was doing with Hillary and decided to watch it and see how the interviews differed. I was just amazed at how much HRC seemed to know her stuff. And it occurred to me that this was a woman who had a real answer to every question, not just an ideology to repeat.

But the thing that actually won me was Maddow asked her if HRC had any plans to court Sanders supporters and her eyes went wide, she leaned forward, and she said that she had 3.6 million more votes than him (might have been a different number, don't remember exactly). Her message and her plans were already favored by 3.6 million more people. And the energy that she just shot that out, almost with irritation, really hit me. Like, damn, she's right. Why are we pretending she isn't winning? And I was really impressed that she just cut through the bull shit. Because everybody at the time was talking about how HRC was going to court Sanders voters, even when she was winning. But nobody ever asked Bernie Sanders how he would court HRC voters, even when he was losing.

And I thought that this was the person I would want to debate Donald Trump.

So I want that HRC on stage. The HRC that basically says "can we fucking not?" and doesn't entertain the bull shit. That's my president.

Is this not Bedwetters Anonymous?? This is supposed to be a safe space!

Awesome anecdote. Hillary's at her best when she is clear and concise with the top line and then can get into the weeds when people want more information.

Indeed. I sometimes wonder who is playing Hillary on their side. Is it based on the real deal or some caricature that they have fabricated the last 25+ years?

No one is. He's thinking up zingers with Giuliani and Ailes over cheeseburgers at his club house. That's not a joke, by the way.

Keep worrying about Clinton though guys

Crisco

Banned
Isn't the fact that terrorists have gone from pulling off crazy complicated mass murders like 9/11, to amateur IEDs that don't kill or seriously wound anyone a pretty solid sign that whatever we're doing to combat them is working? Just a thought.

Isn't the fact that terrorists have gone from pulling off crazy complicated mass murders like 9/11, to amateur IEDs that don't kill or wound anyone a pretty solid sign that whatever we're doing to combat them is working? Just a thought.

Unless they get their hands on a gun.

Zukkoyaki

I'm surprised none of the major news networks has started running a daily Trump fact-check column. Dems would read it for validation and Trump supporters would read it to trash it. Seems like such an easy and obvious way to draw eyeballs.

Fox318

Jesus Christ, why is emailgate still going? Hillary should ever touch email again if she gets elected.

She will probably have 38 secrataries working for her in the white house. I doubt she will be reading emails.

Frankly she shouldn't have had an email address in the first place. Going from the whitehouse to the senate to the cabinet she should have had an assiastant deal with all contacts such as email.

I just pray that if she gets elected that she tighens up her ship but I really don't see that happening.

I expect whatever seats the democrats manage to win they will lose big time in the next set of midterms.

Isn't the fact that terrorists have gone from pulling off crazy complicated mass murders like 9/11, to amateur IEDs that don't kill or seriously wound anyone a pretty solid sign that whatever we're doing to combat them is working? Just a thought.

Yes, but scared people won't think that.

mo60

Good stuff.

Obama 2012 + NC + AZ + GA + NE-2 is the best possible outcome that's still within the realm of possibility. Anything more than that is liberal pipe dream "omg Clinton wins Texas" territory (which could still happen if Trump severely implodes but I'd put that at the 1% end of the spectrum of possibility).

It's possible she wins a surprise state like SC or MO especially if trump collapses hard enough after the debates in polls.I think trump will win a lot typically strong republican states by single digit margins anyway in this election.

Bowdz

Indeed.

Michael Hayden touched on this years ago on Fareed Zakaria GPS. He said, that at the current level of intrusion into people's private information, we can prevent all 9/11 style attacks and most mid sized attacks, but won't be able to do much about lone wolf attacks. If we want to stop those, we could, but it would require an extreme increase in terms of domestic surveillance. It's constantly a question about security vs. privacy and Hayden thought that the balance was more or less right as is, but it's a discussion we should have at some point.

User1608

Banned
I still think a justin trudeau or Obama 08 like win margin is possible for her.A win margin like that will be above 7 points definitely. Voters will probably break for her late.She just needs to make sure tro run as positive of a campaign as possible in the next two months or so.
We'll see how it goes! I would be happy with a 2012+ performance at least though.
No one is. He's thinking up zingers with Giuliani and Ailes over cheeseburgers at his club house. That's not a joke, by the way.

Keep worrying about Clinton though guys
Ah, so he's lazy as always. And I'm not worried at all. I'm pretty confident in her, but I'm certainly a bit more of a realist the last week and a half.

Valhelm

contribute something
As a little baby who's never directly been involved in a presidential campaign, what does "good ground game" look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom