• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a joke. So the people who took the most advantage of the "rigged" system are going to fix it for the working class? Drain the swamp, my ass. It just got larger and deeper.

Did you have any doubt this was going to happen? Trump doesn't even know what the fuck he's supposed to be doing. The hypocrisy and bullshit are literally pouring through every crack. He ran an entire campaign encouraging chants of "LOCK HER UP!" when no laws were broken, but he's consider a guy who did the exact same fucking thing--worse actually, he knowingly leaked state secrets to a reporter he was banging--and plead guilty to it, for his cabinet. He. doesn't. care.

Now people are shocked that he's picking a bunch of rich asshole billionaires? I saw this crap coming once he started the whole "drain the swamp" rhetoric. There's no way this guy doesn't cozy up to the uber wealthy with his power to try and further his own interests. Funny that all those people who were so convinced Trump would be an outsider or rejuvenate Washington are silent now as he picks the damn head of the RNC for chief of staff and a bunch of gay bashers, white supremacists, and billionaires who donated a ton of money to his campaign for the rest of the positions.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
In 2010, liberals were absolutely destroyed by misinformation about the ACA, in a very similar way they were destroyed in 2016 by misinformation about Clinton and her emails.

I wonder if democrats do need to put a more unified front against these things. When Obama defends Comey and democrats run away from the ACA, it does a lot to legitimize those fake assertions.

kirblar

In 2010, liberals were absolutely destroyed by misinformation about the ACA, in a very similar way they were destroyed in 2016 by misinformation about Clinton and her emails.

I wonder if democrats do need to put a more unified front against these things. When Obama defends Comey and democrats run away from the ACA, it does a lot to legitimize those fake assertions.
Pre-empt them, probably.

geomon

Did you have any doubt this was going to happen? Trump doesn't even know what the fuck he's supposed to be doing. The hypocrisy and bullshit are literally pouring through every crack. He ran an entire campaign encouraging chants of "LOCK HER UP!" when no laws were broken, but he's consider a guy who did the exact same fucking thing--worse actually, he knowingly leaked state secrets to a reporter he was banging--and plead guilty to it, for his cabinet. He. doesn't. care.

Now people are shocked that he's picking a bunch of rich asshole billionaires? I saw this crap coming once he started the whole "drain the swamp" rhetoric. There's no way this guy doesn't cozy up to the uber wealthy with his power to try and further his own interests. Funny that all those people who were so convinced Trump would be an outsider or rejuvenate Washington are silent now as he picks the damn head of the RNC for chief of staff and a bunch of gay bashers, white supremacists, and billionaires who donated a ton of money to his campaign for the rest of the positions.

No I expected this. So many blue collar people voted for this fucking guy because he promised them jobs. They got played (like they knew they would be) but I bet you they'll still vote GOP in '18 and '20.

I just don't understand how these aren't seeing what this guy is doing? Is it a cognitive dissonance? Do they not have access to any media, not even a newspaper?

royalan

Well, keep at it, im sure the collective continued shock and dismay of the reasonable left will serve well until we cant even have a standard election anymore. RIght now im like 90% convinced of my theories of how fucked we went over the cliff, in 4 years if another repub wins ill know for sure.

edit; and i wasnt even saying Tim was the guy they should have gone with. At a base level this is all wrong but we are at it now.

Wait, so just so I'm following...

You're not saying that Pelosi is bad at her job.

You're not saying Ryan should have gotten the job.

But you're upset at the outcome, because...?

Establishment?

They're still trying to assert the moral highground. But that doesn't work. You need to hit back and stand your ground. The strategy of running away from Obama in 2012 and 2014 was the most cowardly thing I've ever seen. Alison Grimes refusing to answer whether or not she voted for Obama was probably rock bottom, at least until 2016 when the Democrats just rolled over and let Trump and Comey do and say whatever they wanted. Obama had no justification for defending Comey, when the man was clearly not being neutral.

No I expected this. So many blue collar people voted for this fucking guy because he promised them jobs. They got played (like they knew they would be) but I bet you they'll still vote GOP in '18 and '20.

I just don't understand how these aren't seeing what this guy is doing? Is it a cognitive dissonance? Do they not have access to any media, not even a newspaper?

It's impossible to tell these people it is as bad as it looks. They're still in the honeymoon period and insisting we should all "give him a chance". The problem is, he's had 40 years in the spotlight, and thousands of chances, and he continually is a piece of shit. He's interviewing his cabinet selections at Trump Tower, and allowing (if not encouraging) the media to be there. He's turning the Presidency into a god damn reality show....

Blind hope towards trying anything that might get them their old jobs back.

You can talk about tactics that would win eschewing the high road - whatever that may be - and yet the moment you do, you'll have people complaining about it and refusing to vote because both sides.

GOP voters don't give a crap about Koch money. But idealistic teens would sure kick up a fuss about Soros money.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
You can talk about tactics that would win eschewing the high road - whatever that may be - and yet the moment you do, you'll have people complaining about it and refusing to vote because both sides.

GOP voters don't give a crap about Koch money. But idealistic teens would sure kick up a fuss about Soros money.

"Both sides" people will always say "both sides" about everything. If South Park did the same douchbag vs turd sandwich thing with trump as one of the candidates they're going to do it with all of them.

And they had to stop there, because they got killed at the next election.

Spoiler: Everyone in the past few decades has gotten killed at the next election after getting an eclipse. (except Bush, but 9/11)

Not just the past few decades. Every midterm punished the presidential party in U.S. history, except for three - 2002 (because of 9/11), 1998 (backlash against Republicans for impeachment), and 1934.

2018 is actually a good scenario to have so many dangerous Senate seats up, IMO.

Not just the past few decades. Every midterm punished the presidential party in U.S. history, except for three - 2002 (because of 9/11), 1998 (backlash against Republicans for impeachment), and 1934.

2018 is actually a good scenario to have so many dangerous Senate seats up, IMO.

Well, one thing's for sure. 2018 would have been an absolute bloodbath for Dems if Hillary were president, given the seats up for grabs and historical trends.

dramatis

The question is what will be the effects of extreme polarization on midterms?

kirblar

Well, one thing's for sure. 2018 would have been an absolute bloodbath for Dems if Hillary were president, given the seats up for grabs and historical trends.
McArdle was arguing over the summer that winning the presidency might be a Pyrrhic victory given that a recession is about due and the historical backlash trends. She had a point.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
McArdle was arguing over the summer that winning the presidency might be a Pyrrhic victory given that a recession is about due and the historical backlash trends. She had a point.

If Obama got to appoint replacements for RBG and Scalia, definitely.

The animus against Pelsoi is so strange given that the guy running against her thiugh social issues and identity politics were a distraction and admitted he had no plans for 2018 but that he should be picked because it's time to change the coach....

Oh wait he's literally a personification of the idoicy I've seen come out of this election, guess it's not that strange.

https://newrepublic.com/article/139012/tim-ryans-rust-belt-reboot

He literally admits in this interview to not having a plan for 2018 but I guess fuck Pelosi or something?

Ryan is emphatic that his vision for the party’s future is just back to the past—a retread of the Democrats’ 1990s game plan to win back so-called “Reagan Democrats” by setting aside progressive priorities and New Deal liberalism. What his vision is is a little harder to define—a work in progress. But the rationale for challenging Pelosi, comes down to simple logic in Ryan’s mind: “We’re not winning,” he says. “If you’re a coach and your team doesn’t win, at some point you’ve got to change the coach.”

The election results “rocked me,” he says. But he quickly diagnosed the trouble spots: The campaign and party were too easily tangled in questions about temperament and “identity politics,” and ignored economic issues that have wider interest. The thrust of Clinton’s pitch to voters was about the unreliability and instability of her ego-bloated opponent, he says—not on dollars-and-cents issues. Ryan’s own message to his constituents was notably missing: Clinton wasn’t telling working-class folks that Trump was going to screw them, just that he was the wrong kind of guy to be president.

As a result, Ryan says, there was no broad vision, no national message. “We try too much to sliver the electorate, slice it up,” he says. “We’re going to talk to this group today, and tomorrow, we’re going to talk to that group. There’s no synergy in that, no unifying economic message.”

Later, I try to get Ryan to be more specific about how he sees the balance between so-called identity politics and working-class appeals. “Do you think the social issues were a distraction during the campaign?” I ask.

“I think social issues are always part of a presidential campaign,” Ryan replies. “We don’t have to run from our progressive social agenda because I think most Americans agree with us on most of it, like on gay rights or even the choice issue. But if they see you talking only about social issues, and their main issue is their pocketbook, their job, their economic anxiety, you just look like you don’t understand them.”

Asked for specifics on the economic message he’d like to see, Ryan points back to his own district and other former industrial strongholds. Ohioans have had to get creative about new industries, he says, ticking off the successful business incubators in Youngstown, the new natural gas plants replacing coal-fire energy, and the additive and 3D manufacturing in cities like Cleveland and Dayton. “Everywhere there are these burgeoning little fresh new parts of the economy, and as Democrats, we should be the ones throwing gasoline on this stuff,” he said. “You need these public-private partnerships with strategic government intervention with layering capital for start-up businesses.”

None of this will persuade critics who see the Democrats’ new enthusiasm for white working-class as a pivot that will come at the expense of pursuing racial justice and gender equality—who see public-private partnerships and “it’s the economy, stupid” campaigns as smacking of the New Democrat ‘90s. But Ryan says that other members of the caucus are tuning into his ideas. “They have been very, very supportive,” he said. “Even the ones who say, ‘I can’t vote for you,’ they say, ‘We love what you’re doing.’”

Should Ryan pull off a Trumpian surprise win when the caucus votes by secret ballot on Wednesday, there will be a lot of blanks to fill in. Ryan admits he doesn’t have a specific game plan in mind for going after particularly vulnerable Republicans in the House in the 2018 midterms.

I'm confident they would have kept blocking under Hillary. I hope Obama goes for the hail mary, just to at least make them look bad.

A bunch of 4-4 decisions would still be better overall than 5-4 the other way. Of course if the Hilary losing in 2020 would have put things in serious jeopardy if she couldn't get 1 appointment through.

A bunch of 4-4 decisions would still be better overall than 5-4 the other way. Of course if the Hilary losing in 2020 would have put things in serious jeopardy if she couldn't get 1 appointment through.

If Hillary couldn't get 1 appointment through in 4 years, losing in 2020 would be relatively small beans. It'd mean the only way things get done would be to hold either both houses , the White House and the Court or a Supermajority in both houses and the Court.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

I suspect a lot of Trump supporters are still running on the high of having gotten their way. Who knows if and when any significant number of them will begin complaining Trump turned out to be a big fat nothing-pot roast.

More tweets of Trump supporters already regretting their vote

Example 1

Example 2

Let's not forget, Trump won but he ISN'T POPULAR. Things can change of course but I don't expect that to change.

It's stuff like that that makes be pretty sure what will save Democrats in 2020 is depressed trump supporters giving up after he lets them down. I have a feeling this was their last hurrah and they just won't turn out again. Not that anyone should rely on that.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

The problem is the media. Republicans have Fox News which is the most popular news station in the US and essentially dictates media story trends which the other stations follow.

Kid Heart

Example 1

Example 2

Let's not forget, Trump won but he ISN'T POPULAR. Things can change of course but I don't expect that to change.

Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for people who get played by an incredibly obvious con man.

I don't even get the person shocked that Trump denies global warming. He's been rallying against climate change since day one. Where the heck have you been all this time?

Example 1

Example 2

I want them to mass protest. Let them grab their guns, and Dems find their balls and join this protest hand in hand, and just mass protest the inauguration. Trump was never going to drain the swamp.

It'll never happen, but this whole trump being president is just a disaster

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think the anger at his picks from his supporters is overblown. He could pick a donkey and they would be fine with it. Most have no idea who Soros is.

daedalius

I think the anger at his picks from his supporters is overblown. He could pick a donkey and they would be fine with it. Most have no idea who Soros is.

The ones that know will have their anger reverberate through those that are clueless though, at least you'd think so with how lots of his supporters are pretty keyed into social media.

The ones that know will have their anger reverberate through those that are clueless though, at least you'd think so with how lots of his supporters are pretty keyed into social media.
I'm inclined to believe this. Look at TPP. Do you think even half of the people complaining about it could tell you anything about it?

CyiyeokXUAoZ4bY.jpg

Lol. Okay. All I can do is laugh at this.

well i mean come on, if the GOP loses what they got to fear? its fucking bullshit like 'oh they gonna take our guns!!'. Trump winning is a fucking disaster on so many human rights and climate levels nobody cant help but be NOT inspired.

Nah, most Republicans (in their base, not the politicians themselves probably) think we literally kill babies on the daily. That's a pretty serious reason to be bummed out if you think we're actually killing babies!

Not that I agree with ~Kinggi~'s freakout, but I really wish people would stop pretending this is all just about the Presidency. It's also about the House, Senate, Governorships, State Legislatures, etc. I don't know when the R's were last getting killed like this at all levels of Government, if ever.

The Senate was also close, and the House was never going to happen anyway. Like, the best case scenario in this election was a Hillary win and a very miniscule Senate majority that would likely get destroyed in 2 years as a check on her.

This is very serious, but acting like we just got Mondale'd is excessive, and is fueling these "burn it all down" sentiments. We need calm rational organization since 2018 is so close and insanely important.

but I bet you they'll still vote GOP in '18 and '20.

Not necessarily. There's a decent number of these people that probably voted for HW Bush, then Bill, then Dubya, then Obama, and now Trump. They're contrarians who lash out at the President because they still don't have their grandpappy's jobs at the wages they want with a ton of benefits and less taxes. Trump will fail in this regard too (because those jobs are already extinct and never coming back), and they'll switch again.

Until they die, they'll keep voting like this.

I'm inclined to believe this. Look at TPP. Do you think even half of the people complaining about it could tell you anything about it?

Yeah, it's a filter. Same reason I still hear from people that the Xbox One S is the model that lets you play used games again even though such a policy was never released, and hasn't been a thing in 3 years. They heard it once from someone online 3 years ago and never read a thing about it since then.

A lot of the country does this. They get their news fix like 3 times a year, and then that becomes The Truth for a few months until the next dose hits them. Only major shit like a war or the Recession gets people involved in the news for more than a cursory glance at MSN headlines or some passive Fox News.

Random thought: Democratic GOTV operations that occurred, did they backfire?
I assume affiliated unions got people to the polls, or that part of the effort was on suburbanites who they thought would cross over. Except these people probably broke for Trump.

I assume affiliated unions got people to the polls, or that part of the effort was on suburbanites who they thought would cross over. Except these people probably broke for Trump.

I doubt it. Unless the people they were talking to lied en masse, they helped get Democrats out to the polls because they had talked to those people and figured out who they would be voting for.

Although as someone who made a lot of phone calls and knocked on a lot of doors, there were in hindsight too many Republicans I talked to. Obviously once it became clear who they were supporting I stopped talking, but I shouldn't have been talking to them at that point (~1-2 weeks before election day). But that was for a Gubernatorial race, not the presidential one.

kevin1025

Banned
"Is that... Is that Chris Christie's music???"

He's considering Linda McMahon for a position, why not give the SoS entrance music?! Trump has the Air Force One theme, Chris Christie's would be Curb Your Enthusiasm's theme, and Giuliani is a song played backwards with hidden devil language.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I hope Obama goes for the hail mary, just to at least make them look bad.

You mean a recess appointment? There's no way he'll be able to do this without Republican cooperation (whether intentional or through incompetence). They control the timing of the Senate's recesses.

You mean a recess appointment? There's no way he'll be able to do this without Republican cooperation (whether intentional or through incompetence). They control the timing of the Senate's recesses.
You would know better than me, is there not a period before the next Congress is sworn in where the Senate must take a recess?

I honestly don't see any political downside to him rushing Garland through if he can. It's not like Democrats have anything to lose.

FyreWulff

You would know better than me, is there not a period before the next Congress is sworn in where the Senate must take a recess?

I honestly don't see any political downside to him rushing Garland through if he can. It's not like Democrats have anything to lose.

Constitutionally no, a previous Congress ends at noon jan 3 and the next one legally begins at noon jan 3rd, with no gap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twentieth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

They would have to let the recess last long enough, and knowing the situation, they would have to do it intentionally.

If it happens it will be as a rebuke masquerading as a mistake.

Constitutionally no, a previous Congress ends at noon jan 3 and the next one legally begins at noon jan 3rd, with no gap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twentieth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Yes, but in this situation, they know they can do token sessions just to prevent recess appointment.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more

I don't think the Senate has to take any real recess between sessions, but some might argue that there must be some recess between them. For instance, Teddy Roosevelt made some recess appointments in 1903 during what he called a "constructive recess" of "an infinitesimal fraction of a second" between a special session and a regular session of the Senate. However, under Noel Canning (PDF) (a case decided in 2014), "the phrase 'the recess' applies to both intra-session and inter-session recesses. If a Senate recess is so short that it does not require the consent of the House [i.e., three days or less], it is too short to trigger the Recess Appointments Clause. . . . And a recess lasting less than 10 days is presumptively too short as well." I've seen the argument that this three-day/10-day rule really only applies to intra-session recesses, but that's a really weak argument given the Court's language. So unless the Senate goes into recess for at least 10 days between now and when Trump is inaugurated, I don't think President Obama will have the chance to make a recess appointment.

Pixieking

Banned
Some voter data:

Dave Wasserman ‏@Redistrict 5h5 hours ago

Hillary Clinton's popular vote lead (2.5 million) now exceeds House Republicans' popular vote lead (2.4 million)

Dave Wasserman ‏@Redistrict 6h6 hours ago

Donald Trump is the 1st GOPer since 1936 to lose Orange County, CA -- and now he's losing there by 100k votes

Dave Wasserman ‏@Redistrict 9h9 hours ago

Have a feeling there's a good chance Jill Stein's PA votes will exceed Trump's statewide lead once Philadelphia finalizes its results.

Dave Wasserman ‏@Redistrict 11h11 hours ago

Texas certifies: Trump 4,685,047 (52.2%), Clinton 3,877,868 (43.2%), Others 406,311 (4.5%). That's the smallest R margin since 1996.

Dave Wasserman ‏@Redistrict Nov 29

Alabama certifies its results: Trump 1,318,255 (62.1%), Clinton 729,547 (34.4%), Others 75,570 (3.6%). Trump wins most votes in AL history.

Dave Wasserman ‏@Redistrict Nov 29

Maryland just became the 12th state where Clinton's margin exceeds Obama's '12 margin.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

That's not how GoTV works. You don't just knock on random doors or even do it by demographic guesswork. In the months before the election, you'll have had Democratic canvassers go round and ask people their voting intentions. If they say Democrat, their address will ticked off, and come election, people will go specifically to that address to remind them. So the only way your GoTV efforts would pick up Republicans is if people lied or changed their mind (unlikely, Clinton's election performance was relatively consistent with her polling performance; it's Trump that we can't explain so well).

Curious how many people here have done party work before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom