• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
barack-obama.jpg

The most popular outgoing president of our lifetimes

But he is corporate neoliberal shill!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, I am glad Obama will be hopefully taking the reigns.

Grexeno

I believe back when the state polls were tight but the national polls weren't so much some of us were like "Trump's vote is distributed efficiently."

And then it looks like that was actually true.

Crocodile

Fun Fact: Trump is the only GE winner to fail to get the majority of votes in his primary OR the GE

This election really was the biggest of shitshows :/

Though I guess it's encouraging for the future if we understand that Trump straight up isn't very popular. It makes him easier to beat moving forward.

Also food for thought (considering the parallels between Trump and the former Italian PM Berlusconi):

CyiOIXcWIAE7X2A.jpg

I think this ties back to the earlier article I posted about fighting Trump by "normalizing" him

barack-obama.jpg

The most popular outgoing president of our lifetimes

Obama can surely take a public role in organizing the base, but would it not be pretty unprecedented for a former President to take a highly active role in criticizing the incumbent President? Dems need leadership out there attacking Trump/GOP relentlessly, not someone who may offer a mild-mannered criticism every once in a while.

royalan

Obama can surely take a public role in organizing the base, but would it not be pretty unprecedented for a former President to take a highly active role in criticizing the incumbent President? Dems need leadership out there attacking Trump/GOP relentlessly, not someone who may offer a mild-mannered criticism every once in a while.

It wouldn't be the first or tenth unprecedented thing to happen this election.

FyreWulff

Obama can surely take a public role in organizing the base, but would it not be pretty unprecedented for a former President to take a highly active role in criticizing the incumbent President?

Well, we've also hadn't had a President be succeeded by someone that didn't win the PV in either their primary or the GE either, and also leave the office very young (relatively)

Bush Jr was political kryptonite.
Bill had scandals hanging over him.
Bush Sr was old and done with politics.
Reagan was senile.
Carter was Carter (and one of our most productive post-Presidency Presidents ever, but went silent on the Presidential front for the most part)
Ford was unelected.
Nixon resigned.

Go any further back and you're in the "party chooses the candidate, not the public" era.

Obama has the combo of age + political capital + context. Everything has changed.

For someone with anxiety, not knowing what is going to happen the day Donald takes office is awful. However, I think I've decided to bury my head in the sand.

I think people are underestimating the crazy that is about to take place. I hope someone responds to this post and somehow convinces me I am wrong.

We've never had a president in Obama's position.

When was the last time we had a popular, young, healthy president with no major scandals or anything?

Tbh, if he doesn't do something substantive regarding the DAPL pipeline I think it'll have a pretty negative effect on his influence among 18-30 yo voters.

This isn't going to matter at all

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yea, how dare they pick an experienced person good at the job

Well im saying we'll see where it goes, but there was certainly a lot of sentiment that we really need to shake shit up to actually win and gain back a majority. She has been around during all the losing years. It's an elite-focused strategy that can and has failed. But hey, if she actually uses the experience of getting her ass handed to her than maybe she might change and realize more shit needs to be done to fight fucks like trump.

Well im saying we'll see where it goes, but there was certainly a lot of sentiment that we really need to shake shit up to actually win and gain back a majority. She has been around during all the losing years. It's an elite-focused strategy that can and has failed. But hey, if she actually uses the experience of getting her ass handed to her than maybe she might change and realize more shit needs to be done to fight fucks like trump.

What does Nancy Pelosi have to do with losing elections? Besides funding, which she's the best of any Democrat at raising.

She's not the leader of the DNC. She's not even the top ranking Democrat in the country (Obama is, at least for another two months). Her role is that of fundraising and organizing votes. Of which she is a pro at both. It's a job where you need connections and you need the ability to work with people, and she has demonstrated she has the ability to do that.

Remember, she was also around during all those winning years as well. She was the most liberal speaker of the houses the country has had, and will continue to be one of the most liberal Democrats in the house. And one of the most effective Democrats.

~Kinggi~

Banned
What does Nancy Pelosi have to do with losing elections? Besides funding, which she's the best of any Democrat at raising.

She's not the leader of the DNC. She's not even the top ranking Democrat in the country (Obama is, at least for another two months). Her role is that of fundraising and organizing votes. Of which she is a pro at both. It's a job where you need connections and you need the ability to work with people, and she has demonstrated she has the ability to do that.

Remember, she was also around during all those winning years as well. She was the most liberal speaker of the houses the country has had, and will continue to be one of the most liberal Democrats in the house. And one of the most effective Democrats.

Yeah well shit wont mater until it does. Wait and see is all that can happen now. Better get their fucking act together cause shits gonna go south real fucking fast.

Yeah well shit wont mater until it does. Wait and see is all that can happen now. Better get their fucking act together cause shits gonna go south real fucking fast.

You still haven't actually said why you believe Nancy Pelosi is not fit for the job. Your reasoning has been "she existed during a bad time for the Democrats" which is a meaningless reason.

In fact, not a single person when pressed on why Pelosi is not fit for the job has given a reason despite being pressed for an answer the every time this has been brought up, today.

For someone with anxiety, not knowing what is going to happen the day Donald takes office is awful. However, I think I've decided to bury my head in the sand.

I think people are underestimating the crazy that is about to take place. I hope someone responds to this post and somehow convinces me I am wrong.

As someone who also has anxiety, I feel you. I've definitely been feeling down about the future lately... although I try to tell myself that it will get better 4, or 8, or 12 years from now, and sometimes I can stay positive for a while. Add me to the list of people wanting to be reassured.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You still haven't actually said why you believe Nancy Pelosi is not fit for the job. Your reasoning has been "she existed during a bad time for the Democrats" which is a meaningless reason.

In fact, not a single person when pressed on why Pelosi is not fit for the job has given a reason despite being pressed for an answer the every time this has been brought up, today.

Im actually not saying she isnt fit for the job. What im saying is we now live in an extreme age of logic/experience/reason etc etc means jack shit. So i was hoping for some more radical thinking here cause at this point the best we can hope for is the left finds their 'Trump' and manages to move people. I was all for the reasonable, thoughtful pick before the election results came in and devastated my sad ass. In fact the more people like you and others in this thread that disregard my criticism and the more fearful i am of the future as it just shows dems will fall back into the same pattern of 'go high!!' that clearly went all the fuck wrong here. And hey, i always go high but i mean come on im still shellshocked by the bullshit.

Obama's role won't see him directly criticising his successor. It will I'm guessing focus positively on getting people engaged.
Nancy winning again, well Dems gonna stay losing like bitches forever i guess. We will see.
Tell me. What do you think the role of the minority leader in the House entails?
And why exactly Tim Ryan would be better at it.

royalan

There is not a single factual thing about Nancy Pelosi, her qualifications, her role in the Democratic Party, or the role of Minority Leader in this entire paragraph.

kirblar

Im actually not saying she isnt fit for the job. What im saying is we now live in an extreme age of logic/experience/reason etc etc means jack shit. So i was hoping for some more radical thinking here cause at this point the best we can hope for is the left finds their 'Trump' and manages to move people. I was all for the reasonable, thoughtful pick before the election results came in and devastated my sad ass. In fact the more people like you and others in this thread that disregard my criticism and the more fearful i am of the future as it just shows dems will fall back into the same pattern of 'go high!!' that clearly went all the fuck wrong here. And hey, i always go high but i mean come on im still shellshocked by the bullshit.
See: Labour in the UK for what going Radical gets you.

People are disregarding your criticism because you aren't offering any. You're saying they should pick someone else besides Pelosi, but have offered no actual reason why other than "she was speaker when Democrats lost" which is a meaningless criticism because she has basically nothing to do with why the DNC was awful.

The far left has yet to demonstrate they can win elections. Their candidates for senate lost. Their ballot measures lost (state paid health care). Their candidate for president lost his primary. Why should the Democrats move towards the far left when there's no actual evidence it's a winning strategy?

People are disregarding your criticism because you aren't offering any. You're saying they should pick someone else besides Pelosi, but have offered no actual reason why other than "she was speaker when Democrats lost" which is a meaningless criticism because she has basically nothing to do with why the DNC was awful.

The far left has yet to demonstrate they can win elections. Their candidates for senate lost. Their ballot measures lost (state paid health care). Their candidate for president lost his primary. Why should the Democrats move towards the far left when there's no actual evidence it's a winning strategy?

There are probably only a handful of Representatives that are more progressive than Pelosi, at any rate. Tim Ryan sure isn't.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Well, keep at it, im sure the collective continued shock and dismay of the reasonable left will serve well until we cant even have a standard election anymore. RIght now im like 90% convinced of my theories of how fucked we went over the cliff, in 4 years if another repub wins ill know for sure.

edit; and i wasnt even saying Tim was the guy they should have gone with. At a base level this is all wrong but we are at it now.

kirblar

Well, keep at it, im sure the collective continued shock and dismay of the reasonable left will serve well until we cant even have a standard election anymore. RIght now im like 90% convinced of my theories of how fucked we went over the cliff, in 4 years if another repub wins ill know for sure.
1929 got followed by Roosevelt.

The next Dem Pres/Congress combo know they have to force EVERYTHING through in the first year. They have to kill the fillibuster, have plans ready to go day 1, and just. do. it.

Obama didn't take the reigns and paid the price.

It's kinda amazing that 100K votes can make people act like headless chickens on the left. If the GOP loses an election this closely, they get inspired, not dismayed.

pigeon

Banned

I don't think this is crazy, but if you believe this it seems nuts to rely on the Democratic Party to protect you. Come up with a backup plan.

pigeon

Banned
1929 got followed by Roosevelt.

The next Dem Pres/Congress combo know they have to force EVERYTHING through in the first year. They have to kill the fillibuster, have plans ready to go day 1, and just. do. it.

Obama didn't take the reigns and paid the price.

I'm so tired of this meme. Obama did a ton of stuff in the first year. People just forgot how big a deal the stimulus, for example, was because it worked seamlessly so everybody forgot it existed.

I was relieved to hear Pelosi is staying where she is.

I might have missed something but Newt is not being considered for any cabinet/other high profile position is he? Aside from him slagging on Romney for not being loyal during the primary I haven't heard much from him. I can live with him just showing up and bloviating on Hannity every night.

kirblar

It's kinda amazing that 100K votes can make people act like headless chickens on the left. If the GOP loses an election this closely, they get inspired, not dismayed.
You know, when I said Dems don't know how to play a big stack earlier in the election, I didn't expect Mook's team to be included in that umbrella. :(
I'm so tired of this meme. Obama did a ton of stuff in the first year. People just forgot how big a deal the stimulus, for example, was because it worked seamlessly so everybody forgot it existed.
It's not a meme. They had to pass a partial version of the ACA through reconciliation because Kennedy died, and then couldn't get other legislation passed.

The Stimulus got bipartisan support and blinded them to the danger ahead.

~Kinggi~

Banned

well i mean come on, if the GOP loses what they got to fear? its fucking bullshit like 'oh they gonna take our guns!!'. Trump winning is a fucking disaster on so many human rights and climate levels nobody cant help but be NOT inspired.

Not that I agree with ~Kinggi~'s freakout, but I really wish people would stop pretending this is all just about the Presidency. It's also about the House, Senate, Governorships, State Legislatures, etc. I don't know when the R's were last getting killed like this at all levels of Government, if ever.

kirblar

Not that I agree with ~Kinggi~'s freakout, but I really wish people would stop pretending this is all just about the Presidency. It's also about the House, Senate, Governorships, State Legislatures, etc.
And people keep trying to blame that on Clinton and the DNC, where that's not where the problem emerged from.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
It's not a meme. They had to pass a partial version of the ACA through reconciliation because Kennedy died, and then couldn't get other legislation passed.

The Stimulus got bipartisan support and blinded them to the danger ahead.
The stimulus, ACA, and Dodd-Frank are all historically significant bills that were passed in his first two years; plus cap and trade and the Dream Act that languished in the Senate because of the filibuster. Arguably, the Democrats were punished in the midterms for doing too much, because it galvanized the right.

kirblar

The stimulus, ACA, and Dodd-Frank are all historically significant bills that were passed in his first two years; plus cap and trade and the Dream Act that languished in the Senate because of the filibuster. Arguably, the Democrats were punished in the midterms for doing too much, because it galvanized the right.
And they had to stop there, because they got killed at the next election.

Spoiler: Everyone in the past few decades has gotten killed at the next election after getting an eclipse. (except Bush, but 9/11)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Spoiler: Everyone in the past few decades has gotten killed at the next election after getting an eclipse. (except Bush, but 9/11)

True, but both 2010 and 2014 were still historical in just how bad the backlash is. You can expect midterm backlashes, but you can't expect a backlash as huge as those two were.

kess

The right was galvanized regardless. The Democratic Congress had a fleeting increase in popularity during the lame duck period when they passed the DADT repeal and the unemployment extension instead of being terrified at what tne consequences would be.

edit; and i wasnt even saying Tim was the guy they should have gone with. At a base level this is all wrong but we are at it now.
I'm trying to parse what any of this even means.

geomon

Donald Trump's cabinet could be wealthiest in modern history

When George W. Bush assembled his first cabinet in 2001, news reports dubbed them a team of millionaires, and government watchdogs questioned whether they were out of touch with most Americans' problems. Combined, that group had an inflation-adjusted net worth of about $250 million - which is roughly one-tenth the wealth of Donald Trump's nominee for commerce secretary alone.

Trump is putting together what will be the wealthiest administration in modern American history. His announced nominees for top positions include several multimillionaires, an heir to a family mega-fortune and two Forbes-certified billionaires. Rumored candidates for other positions suggest that Trump could add more ultra-rich appointees soon.

Many of the Trump appointees were born wealthy, attended elite schools and went on to amass even larger fortunes as adults. As a group, they have much more experience funding political candidates than they do running government agencies.

Their collective wealth in many ways defies Trump's populist campaign promises. Their business ties, particularly to Wall Street, have drawn rebukes from Democrats. But the group also amplifies Trump's own campaign pitch: that Washington outsiders who know how to navigate and exploit a "rigged" system are best able to fix that system for the working class.

What a joke. So the people who took the most advantage of the "rigged" system are going to fix it for the working class? Drain the swamp, my ass. It just got larger and deeper.

Which is actually kind of terrifying, but ok. If you cant get it, dont know what to say. Crossing my imaginary fingers for things to magically work out for us all one day. Good luck everyone!
You're not actually saying anything in any of these posts.
If you want to make a point, you're going to have to use words in sentences that are actually coherent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom