• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBroly

Banned
Stein's request to a Federal Judge in MI has been DENIED on the basis that the state AG intervened on the matter (and that means he has priority over the case or something). There will be no early recount in MI.

State Supreme Court will hear the case on Tuesday to determine if/how a recount will be made.

That court's tilt:
5-2 Republican

Since MI's electors have already been certified, do not expect a recount in MI at this juncture.

Supast4r

He seemed fully prepped to look away and let it become a fait-accompli until people started being sprayed with water in sub-zero temperatures and severely injured. I give him credit for acting late, even if it's only a temporary stay, but this victory belongs to the people who put their lives on the line.
I agree with you. I'm just saying that someone like Trump would have let it happen. This is a great example of democracy working

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
andrew kaczynski
@KFILE
Trump’s Taiwan phone call was long planned, say people who were involved washingtonpost.com/politics/trump…

9:26pm · 4 Dec 2016 · Twitter for iPhone

https://t.co/8Ra4paem3i

Donald Trump’s protocol-breaking telephone call with Taiwan’s leader was an intentionally provocative move that establishes the incoming president as a break with the past, according to interviews with people involved in the planning.

The historic communication — the first between leaders of the United States and Taiwan since 1979 — was the product of months of quiet preparations and deliberations among Trump’s advisers about a new strategy for engagement with Taiwan that began even before he became the Republican presidential nominee, according to people involved in or briefed on the talks.

lololol

There's no way a phone call was "months" in the making, especially for a guy who prior to election night had no plans for after election night. So not only was this allegedly quite deliberate, but they told a pointless fib in trying to hype it up further which makes them look like idiots twice over.

Since I've stopped following any media that's not presented via PoliGAF, I'm curious-- Has anyone been talking about the perpetual conflicts of interest? Taiwan is just a new example of this we didn't previous anticipate and plenty more have already come up! That and the Russia connections all over again via floating a lot of extremely strange names for things.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I guess I don't see why it can't be both. I don't see this reporting as an explanation after the fact so much as a damning statement about the people Trump is surrounded by.

Totakeke

I am not being sarcastic when I say that the call worked out fine.

Setting the precedent of not being afraid to ruffle some feathers for what is right is good.

The whole thing sounds a bit too much like the purity test to me, break down what's working okay so everyone can feel better about themselves. Taiwan has been doing well and what are we doing all this for? So we can feel less hypocritical? Or so that Taiwan can gain more prosperity?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The whole thing sounds a bit too much like the purity test to me, break down what's working okay so everyone can feel better about themselves. Taiwan has been doing well and what are we doing all this for? So we can feel less hypocritical? Or so that Taiwan can gain more prosperity?
It's as simple as a child touching a hot stove because their parent said not to. There's no point to it beyond rebellion and pushing boundaries.

Precedent.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Not my precedent
Precedent Elect

Precedent will feel really good for the Taiwanese when the PRC lands troops on the island.
Yeah there are literally a million things he could have done to show he is willing to "shake things up" that would have been far less fraught with negative consequences.

pigeon

Banned
Here is some precedent for you to consider:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Taiwan_Strait_Crisis

Last time the current ruling party in Taiwan elected a president, we had to put two carrier groups in the Taiwan Strait because we gave the president of Taiwan a visa to enter America.

Here's what changed since then -- China became a lot more militarily powerful, a lot more aggressive in their foreign policy, and we lost a lot of support in the area. Also we elected a maniac whose foreign policy and defense team are incompetent warmongers. Also we became much more economically dependent on imports from China.

Seems better?

This is a serious question -- do you believe that we should go to war with China to protect the sovereignty of Taiwan? If not, why is it a good idea to set the "precedent" that we're willing to overturn existing diplomatic structures to talk about the sovereignty of Taiwan?

Here is some precedent for you to consider:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Taiwan_Strait_Crisis

Last time the current ruling party in Taiwan elected a president, we had to put two carrier groups in the Taiwan Strait because we gave the president of Taiwan a visa to enter America.

Here's what changed since then -- China became a lot more militarily powerful, a lot more aggressive in their foreign policy, and we lost a lot of support in the area. Also we elected a maniac whose foreign policy and defense team are incompetent warmongers. Also we became much more economically dependent on imports from China.

Seems better?

This is a serious question -- do you believe that we should go to war with China to protect the sovereignty of Taiwan? If not, why is it a good idea to set the "precedent" that we're willing to overturn existing diplomatic structures to talk about the sovereignty of Taiwan?

For a lot of people the answer is no, but there is not much win scenarios that Trump has. He can send out carrier group to protect Taiwan if they some reason to do something that will antagonize China. The problem is that China can't afford to back down when they are the one's that are trying to have dominance over the region and it also depends on how it plays out. Taiwan can announce independence and the Chinese action will be swift; too fast before the US can do anything. I can totally see Trump choking on this and/or Trump throwing Taiwan under the bus.

Doing nothing will extremely destroy the US reputation. The US with all its blunder and power will ultimate not lift a finger to help an ally if a strong power or any power challenges an ally or a friendly nation. I think the US also has some sort of agreement with Taiwan I think and that means any legal agreement doesn't mean shit. Allies and others around the planet will seriously consider US commitment on anything, because the question will be will the US protect/intervene/challenge a country if that country does anything to another? That will be the message, an extremely dangerous one. It will seriously question Trump's competence and word; i.e very little powerful people and the people involved politics will not trust his word what so ever and will do their own thing.

They wanted to start fracking here under the lake we were using for water supply, and needless to say even in suburban, conservative Texas here in DFW, the residence would have none of it. Its easy for the jackholes to go off on their "big government" talk as a talking point, but they only can get away with it within their base, because the majority of them haven't had that situation yet.

In addition, here in Denton County, the residents banned fracking within city limits, but low-and behold, next state congress session, they make it illegal to do so.

So which really is the real true big government? State over riding a city's wishes or the army corp, which is a public entity and deals with public lands, does its bidding?

No one should have the right to defend their natural resources such as water taken away.

The planet is huge, just go around it if the pipe lines and fracking is so damn important. But I don't care if it is on a Native American reservation or if it is in conservative suburbs, the people don't like it when it comes to their neck of the woods.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

raw

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Didn't ben not want a seat because he said he would not do well at the head of something?

But then He said his experience in hUD is that he grew up in an urban area?

Didn't ben not want a seat because he said he would not do well at the head of something?

But then He said his experience in hUD is that he grew up in an urban area?
He said this after running for president.

Not that this contradicts anything, except that Carson is a moron and an idiot savant in the field of neuroscience.

Is he going to move the White House to Trump Tower?

Why is he continuing to do official business there? He certainly can't expect to run the country from Trump Tower, can he? How is that even going to work, New York isn't going to allow that massive money sink...

FyreWulff

Why is he continuing to do official business there? He certainly can't expect to run the country from Trump Tower, can he? How is that even going to work, New York isn't going to allow that massive money sink...

He wants the branding/ego boost of the President's office being at Trump Tower

see also him having deals worked while on call with other nations leaders

mo60

I think he's just doing business in his tower until he can move into the white house in January. I may be wrong about this in January.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He can't take up residence in the White House until he gets sworn in, but usually the president-elect is working out of an office building in DC. So this is a bit odd.

I would like to point out that NY has already said we aren't going to be paying for his shit and have put in a formal request to have the federal government pay for his crap.

pigeon

Banned
He can't take up residence in the White House until he gets sworn in, but usually the president-elect is working out of an office building in DC. So this is a bit odd.

I would like to point out that NY has already said we aren't going to be paying for his shit and have put in a formal request to have the federal government pay for his crap.

He said he doesn't want to move to the White House permanently, so I would anticipate a lot more business at Trump Tower. Remember, Trump went to bed at Trump Tower every night during the campaign season.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He said he doesn't want to move to the White House permanently, so I would anticipate a lot more business at Trump Tower. Remember, Trump went to bed at Trump Tower every night during the campaign season.

I know and it's going to make my life a living hell since I work in Manhattan.

I really do need to get a job that will let me work from home.

NYC isn't set up for the president to have full time residency there. Cuomo isn't going to allow it. The Secret Service isn't going to allow it. It's a huge production when the president visits a city, for him to want to do it multiple times a week, for four years is madness.

My NYS taxes certainly aren't going to pay for Trump to be comfortable in TT, when a perfectly respectable mansion exists in DC he can live in.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NYC isn't set up for the president to have full time residency there. Cuomo isn't going to allow it. The Secret Service isn't going to allow it. It's a huge production when the president visits a city, for him to want to do it multiple times a week, for four years is madness.

My NYS taxes certainly aren't going to pay for Trump to be comfortable in TT, when a perfectly respectable mansion exists in DC he can live in.

As it is de Blasio is begging Congress to help cover the costs of having Trump here. If he spends every weekend in NYC then we'll have the permanently shut down part of Midtown. There's places in Trump Tower's orbit that are closing for days at a time as a result of him being here.

What about the companies in Trump Tower itself? Certainly they don't want this massive inconvenience.

He's going to kill the companies in and around Trump Tower by being a pretty princess and wanting to sleep in his own bed (which he can just move to the WH...)

I feel like Trump is just going to be a huge dick to NYC for 4 years to get revenge on a city that loathes him.

I mean, doing shit like closing the Lincoln Tunnel at 5pm on a Friday? C'mon... that's no accident.

dramatis

What about the companies in Trump Tower itself? Certainly they don't want this massive inconvenience.

He's going to kill the companies in and around Trump Tower by being a pretty princess and wanting to sleep in his own bed (which he can just move to the WH...)
The prices for property in Trump Tower had been dropping before the election, and a bunch of people were clearing out. It's possible there might be an artificial demand for Trump Tower space by entities trying to curry favor with Trump, but I doubt people want to deal with all the Secret Service.

There's plenty of other prestigious luxury condos being built in NY anyway, if you're living at Trump Tower you have plenty of choices to move. If you have a company at Trump Tower, there's space elsewhere too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom