• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I actually don't think this is true. I mean, you literally listed four sites that instituted new policies, from advertisement restrictions to direct user bans, after the election.

I think that many people in Silicon Valley, and all over the country really, viewed the culture war as won. I don't encounter any Nazis in the course of my day, after all. If the ongoing march of liberalism and progressivism is inevitable, then libertarian business ideals like "letting everybody speak" are a safe luxury. If Nazis are a tiny minority and their candidate is going to get crushed in a landslide, why bother banning them?

It's different now. A lot of people woke up on November 9th asking themselves what they should have done differently. I certainly did.

Time will tell. But I am hopeful that people in the age of Trump will start awakening to their moral responsibility to fight for justice.

A lot of them aren't going nearly far enough and are instituting policies just to make it look like they are doing something, like Reddit. Reddit needs to mass IP-ban a huge number of users, but they won't so they're taking what can be generously described as half-measures meant to look like they're fighting the problem. Reddit is doing the equivalent of what Trump's proposed lobbying reforms would do: all of jack shit and maybe make it all worse. You can honestly say the same about Twitter.

Debirudog

i have grown a strong disdain for social media. The people at the very top such as Zuckerberg know what they're doing and they just don't care.

"Trump lies again" while true, sounds biased to the average person and could contribute further to making media seem too liberal to regular people.

It's a difficult situation to dance around.
Media taking a stand, even saying water is wet will seem biased to average idiot voter. That will affect viewership and media heads will not tolerate that and sadly that's the bottomline.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Media taking a stand, even saying water is wet will seem biased to average idiot voter. That will affect viewership and media heads will not tolerate that and sadly that's the bottomline.

Which is why I've soured on the whole industry. News was better when it was just considered a service provided by the major broadcasters and not expected to bring in the coin.

tuxfool

Banned
A lot of them aren't going nearly far enough and are instituting policies just to make it look like they are doing something, like Reddit. Reddit needs to mass IP-ban a huge number of users, but they won't so they're taking what can be generously described as half-measures meant to look like they're fighting the problem. Reddit is doing the equivalent of what Trump's proposed lobbying reforms would do: all of jack shit and maybe make it all worse. You can honestly say the same about Twitter.

At least the EU seems on top of it.

http://gizmodo.com/eu-to-facebook-and-twitter-crack-down-on-hate-speech-1789668384.

On Sunday, the European Commission warned Facebook, Twitter, Google, YouTube and Microsoft that if the companies do not address their hate speech problems, the EU will enact legislation that will force them to do so.

If they put enough pressure, they may even make it de-facto globally.

It's up to Democrats to fight against Trump's lies. They need to engage in a concerted, constant media offensive painting him as a liar. You know, the same kind of things Republicans did to Hillary. The media won't report on him being a liar, but they WILL report that Democrats call him a liar. Particularly if high profile Dems do it. Then, the national conversation is, "Is Trump a liar?". That's where we want to be.

The media won't suddenly change from bothsides-ism. Democrats need to learn how to use the media to their advantage. They need to start painting him as Conman-in-Chief on January 20, 2017, and keep pounding that message home.

Totakeke

i have grown a strong disdain for social media. The people at the very top such as Zuckerberg know what they're doing and they just don't care.

Things are being done. It's much easier to pressure tech companies than change the minds of Trump supporters.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/02/facebook-exec-responsibility-to-fight-fake-news/
https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/05/eu-google-facebook-twitter-hate-speech/

That said, I keep social media use to a minimum, that doesn't help the people who do use them everyday though.

It's up to Democrats to fight against Trump's lies. They need to engage in a concerted, constant media offensive painting him as a liar. You know, the same kind of things Republicans did to Hillary. The media won't report on him being a liar, but they WILL report that Democrats call him a liar. Particularly if high profile Dems do it. Then, the national conversation is, "Is Trump a liar?". That's where we want to be.

The media won't suddenly change from bothsides-ism. Democrats need to learn how to use the media to their advantage. They need to start painting him as Conman-in-Chief on January 20, 2017, and keep pounding that message home.
That does nothing. That's politics as usual. "Dems call Trump liar" is no different than a gazillion republicans who believe Obama is a liar. People will see it as usual opposition from a loser party as Anderson Cooper will bring two sides and they both argue who lies. Thats really not where we want to be. B-dubs is right. If we remove the coin from the equation that will let media journalists to actually report the lies as baldfaced as they are.

But as the landscape is at the moment, I'm hoping honestly reporting the lies will pull in more viewers. Fahrenthold's honest to goodness reporting on Trump's charities brought in hundreds if not thousands of new WaPo subscribers.

Totakeke

Mika Brzezinski on Elizabeth Warren: 'Tired of this Act,' 'Shrill, Almost Unhinged'

In which Mika is angry that Elizabeth Warren gives a fiery speech opposing a billionaire laden incoming administration. She notes that democrats are hypocritical for saying republicans fought Obama from day 1 and refuse to express bipartisan sentiment towards Trump now

Get sandbagged for 8 years but now we're in power work with us, jeez stop being babies liberals

Someone please monitor her bank accounts.

Holmes

Mika Brzezinski on Elizabeth Warren: 'Tired of this Act,' 'Shrill, Almost Unhinged'

In which Mika is angry that Elizabeth Warren gives a fiery speech opposing a billionaire laden incoming administration. She notes that democrats are hypocritical for saying republicans fought Obama from day 1 and refuse to express bipartisan sentiment towards Trump now

Get sandbagged for 8 years but now we're in power work with us, jeez stop being babies liberals
I told my husband they would go this route with Warren when he was talking her up but he didn't believe me. I didn't think they would go in this soon though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I told my husband they would go this route with Warren when he was talking her up but he didn't believe me. I didn't think they would go in this soon though.

They're going to try and take down anyone who looks to be emerging as a leader of the resistance. They don't want the Democrats' electoral base to unify, especially not this early.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

The people in charge of the RNC know how to play politics. Democrats have to learn or get used to not being in power.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hillary and Obama were basically the walls taking most of hits. Here's to hoping the Dems know how to fend for themselves.

Pretty much. There are no big targets left to hide behind and anyone who looks to be growing strong will be attacks viciously.

So hey guys. I'm a young kid getting ready to go into phd programs next year (science), but this election has terrified me and encouraged me to become more involved in politics. What can I do to help?

What can any of us do?

On the flip side, attacks on the minority party aren't really that effective. You can't really blame the losers for when the winners mess up.

Yeah I mostly agree that the only small silver lining in all this is that, similar to 2004-2006, Republicans effectively have to own everything now, and it's much tougher to blame Democrats for shit going bad (as it mostly like will, without any larger grassroots force pushing back).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So hey guys. I'm a young kid getting ready to go into phd programs next year (science), but this election has terrified me and encouraged me to become more involved in politics. What can I do to help?

What can any of us do?

Go to your local party office and volunteer. Go to a charity you like and volunteer. Volunteer for a candidate you like, no matter how unimportant the office is. Just go out there and volunteer for the stuff you care about.

The hottest of takes: The DNC Needs a New Leader: How About Rahm?

jay-z-ouch-.gif

What can any of us do?
Say fuck it all and run for your local school board. Your PhD will give you the necessary impetus for your run. Then become a councilman or a state legislator and move up the ladder.

I think Warren does have a leadership role in the caucus.

Also, Breitbart stories coming up in the "top news" Google results. Not sure if I just never noticed this before.

KingBroly

Banned
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/12/05/recount-unrecountable/95007392/

Michigan's recount might be over before it starts. Wayne County (Detroit, aka Hillary stronghold) basically can't match up 59% of the county's votes. So a recount will potentially throw out 36% of the state's votes, most of which are for Clinton.

This means that they'll just have to use their election day results, making a recount pointless, to avoid further embarrassment.

studyguy

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/12/05/recount-unrecountable/95007392/

Michigan's recount might be over before it starts. Wayne County (Detroit, aka Hillary stronghold) basically can't match up 59% of the county's votes. So a recount will potentially throw out 36% of the state's votes, most of which are for Clinton.

This means that they'll just have to use their election day results, making a recount pointless, to avoid further embarrassment.

He blamed the discrepancies on the city’s decade-old voting machines, saying 87 optical scanners broke on Election Day. Many jammed when voters fed ballots into scanners, which can result in erroneous vote counts if ballots are inserted multiple times. Poll workers are supposed to adjust counters to reflect a single vote but in many cases failed to do so, causing the discrepancies, Baxter said.

Man are you for real? Makes it sound like these fucking machines are running on hopes and dreams.

Interview with Hietkamp on CNBC. Their guys are huge Republicans, but I thought it was interesting perspective from someone who is in an impossible position come 2018, because she's not getting a place in the Trump administration:

https://twitter.com/SenatorHeitkamp/status/805887803104133120

As far as NewBayhs go, Heitkamp has certainly been one of the most frustrating members of our caucus, though her answer on why she's a Democrats was good (I don't understand what his counterpoint was???).

I do wonder how much the DAPL protests contributed to the dramatic swing in North Dakota towards Republicans (even more so than you'd expect). I think she's right, definitely now, the pipleline will be built. But the right's inability to understand any environmental concerns is needlessly frustrating. The dance she's doing is the right one for her state and the position she's in, I just don't know if it'll matter come 2018.

Wow, so much fraud.

Is this not grounds for a total audit?

pigeon

Banned
Interview with Hietkamp on CNBC. Their guys are huge Republicans, but I thought it was interesting perspective from someone who is in an impossible position come 2018, because she's not getting a place in the Trump administration:

https://twitter.com/SenatorHeitkamp/status/805887803104133120

As far as NewBayhs go, Heitkamp has certainly been one of the most frustrating members of our caucus, though her answer on why she's a Democrats was good (I don't understand what his counterpoint was???).

I do wonder how much the DAPL protests contributed to the dramatic swing in North Dakota towards Republicans (even more so than you'd expect). I think she's right, definitely now, the pipleline will be built. But the right's inability to understand any environmental concerns is needlessly frustrating. The dance she's doing is the right one for her state and the position she's in, I just don't know if it'll matter come 2018.

Wow, so much fraud.

Can't watch clip can you summarize?

Nelo Ice

Banned
So here in CA and I attended a town hall my congressman held over the weekend. Saw maga hats and well Trump supporters for the first time in public. The vast majority of them were exactly what I expected and one nearly got into a confrontation with someone else because he kept yelling and would not shut up anytime my congressman spoke. Besides that was surprised to see 3 minority supporters and they were also the ones vocally yelling their displeasure.

Aside from that the rest of the crowd were Dems and we all clapped when he rep mentioned Obama, black lives matter, and a whole host of other rational sane things. Of course it was disheartening to hear how he was on the house science committee and of the 7 GOP members he spoke to about climate change, all 7 denied it. I was really glad to hear he was going to fight for all the right things yet in the back of my head it all just felt like lip service since he's hilariously outnumbered by Republicans :(.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Well that's problematic.

Can't watch clip can you summarize?

Basically that the Trump administration has already indicated it will approve the easement, so the DAPL will be built regardless of opinion on the project (this is her only answer when they ask her if she supports the pipeline). I assume this is actually correct. But that Native issues must be addressed earlier going forward.

They also ask her about the "radical" nature of some of the environmental activist there, to which she says that there are "some" people there who are "keep it in the ground" types, and that could have turned away voters in places like North Dakota and other coal-country types from the Democratic party. This isn't that different from positions she's always held.

Then they ask her why she's a Democrat (which is a ridiculous question) and she gives a pretty lengthy question about the positions that Democrats hold that are better for working and middle class families. Then they kind of stumble over themselves and say that Republicans care about working people too and she kind of smiles and laughs and then the interview ends.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

This needs to be investigated immediately

chadskin

@ChristopherJM:
A top Ukraine official tells me @realDonaldTrump asked @poroshenko in Nov 15 call: "How's it going w/ the aggression?" referring to Russia.
Same Ukraine official said Trump told Poroshenko he "knows it's tough" dealing with Russia. Also complimented the prez on his "good English"

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
-- reminder that Mika was born into elitist circles and continues to live there;

-- reminder that Betsy DeVos never attended a public school of any sort, and may not have ever stepped inside one in her life;

-- Warren should absolutely be the voice of the Dems right now. Jeet Heer had a good article today about exactly that in The New Republic today.

-- Al Gore meeting with Trump is interesting;

-- the Ivanka deal with some Japanese fashion thing / something / something while on the phone with the JP PM is interesting;

-- FBI investigating Trump for asking Russia to hack Hillary, which is lolol thanks VICE;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom