• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking Ivanka is just doing this as personal damage control. Even though her father won, the Trump brand is still going to take a pretty massive hit (probably even worse than if he lost).

lol wut? Is she officially part of the cabinet now? This is going to be some wild shit having his damn kids meeting with foreign leaders and influencing policy.

Imagine if Sasha or Malia helped negotiate the ACA?

I don't really mind his kids having an active role. They're adults and Melania doesn't seem to want to be in the spotlight as first lady, so his kids are taking over the role.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm thinking Ivanka is just doing this as personal damage control. Even though her father won, the Trump brand is still going to take a pretty massive hit (probably even worse than if he lost).

The Trump Organization and Brand is just going to keep taking hits the longer we go into his term. Even if he uses the office to try and enrich himself his brand will just keep devaluing.

NYC isn't set up for the president to have full time residency there. Cuomo isn't going to allow it. The Secret Service isn't going to allow it. It's a huge production when the president visits a city, for him to want to do it multiple times a week, for four years is madness.

My NYS taxes certainly aren't going to pay for Trump to be comfortable in TT, when a perfectly respectable mansion exists in DC he can live in.

People not in NYC don't understand, I walk by that Trump tower everyday. There is a mini army of police surrounding it. The cost must be huge to keep that up daily.

Hoping CNN heeds this advice from one of their anchors.

Cy2iddsW8AAHqjn.jpg

But sadly a coverage like this suggested by Stelter will only make deplorables scurry further into the depths of fringe news websites.

kirblar

She donated to Booker's senate run, I don't think it's all talk (thought the Lindsay Bluth comparison seems apt.)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
People not in NYC don't understand, I walk by that Trump tower everyday. There is a mini army of police surrounding it. The cost must be huge to keep that up daily.

de Blasio put in a request for like $35 million to help pay for it. Given the estimated cost that'll cover a little over a month's worth of having him here.

samn

lol wut? Is she officially part of the cabinet now? This is going to be some wild shit having his damn kids meeting with foreign leaders and influencing policy.

Imagine if Sasha or Malia helped negotiate the ACA?

they are adults, and Bill got Hillary into the white house just cos she was his wife and wanted to do stuff

Grief.exe

People need to stop calling it a blind trust, it's not a blind trust. Jimmy Carter literally had to sell his peanut farm and was investigated by congress for months to make sure he wasn't making any money off it.

How do we know the Ruskies aren't buying the peanuts to build nukes?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Good. If anyone can get to Trump, its his favorite child.
sly burn on Tiffany Trump. She gets no respect. 😒

Edit:
"Daddy can I get an unpaid advisor role too!?"
"Sure ummm, Toffany, maybe we have something available in White House Tour Guide?"
"It's Tiffany, dad..."

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
When the hell is California going to finishing counting its votes? It's been almost a month since the election! I know it's a big state but Texas finished a long time ago.

Holmes

When the hell is California going to finishing counting its votes? It's been almost a month since the election! I know it's a big state but Texas finished a long time ago.
California is different from Texas because many counties are still getting late mail-in votes. Some counties wait until they've got them all and make one big update and some update as the votes trickle in.

studyguy

We have 10M more people than TX and like 70% of our ballots come by way of mail in a state that required two fucking stamps because of the sheer number of measures on the ballot. You're probably in for a long wait fam.

dramatis

A Japanese prime minister is visiting Pearl Harbor for the first time ever
“It's good news,” Jennifer Lind, a professor at Dartmouth who studies apologies in East Asian diplomacy, tells me. “French, Americans, [and] Germans have been remembering war together at Normandy since 2004. It's a sign of reconciliation and commitment that the US and Japan relationship has reached this point too.”

It’s also a telling move from a prime minister who, by Japanese standards, is a fairly aggressive nationalist — yet has shown, in recent years, a canny capacity to use historical memory to improve Japanese relations with key powers.
So Abe choosing to visit Pearl Harbor — specifically as an homage to the American “victims” — is a pretty striking about-face. What’s going on?

For one thing, the Pearl Harbor visit is an act of reciprocity. Earlier this year, President Obama visited Hiroshima, the first American president ever to do so. Obama gave a speech expressing sympathy with the victims of the atomic bombing, but did not formally apologize for President Truman’s decision to drop the bomb.

Abe appears to be returning the favor almost exactly, taking a historically significant trip that recognizes American pain but stopping just shy of formal apology. He’s repaying Obama, and the United States more broadly, for its willingness to recognize the Japanese experience of the war.

More broadly, Abe has demonstrated a surprisingly flexible approach to using apology and history as a tool of statecraft.

Hoping CNN heeds this advice from one of their anchors.

Cy2iddsW8AAHqjn.jpg

But sadly a coverage like this suggested by Stelter will only make deplorables scurry further into the depths of fringe news websites.
That's a really interesting excerpt. Honestly, I don't think the media was prepared for a candidate like Trump. Any more than we were as citizens. Going forward a lot of people are going to have to rethink a lot of previously held beliefs because tackling Trump is going to require new approaches whether someone is attempting to report on him as a journalist or live under his Presidency as an every-day Joe.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's a really interesting excerpt. Honestly, I don't think the media was prepared for a candidate like Trump. Any more than we were as citizens. Going forward a lot of people are going to have to rethink a lot of previously held beliefs because tackling Trump is going to require new approaches whether someone is attempting to report on him as a journalist or live under his Presidency as an every-day Joe.

No one was prepared for Trump, just like no one was prepared for Reagan. If you've ever wondered why TV news uses these severe looking shots of the candidates and presidents the answer is because of Reagan. Once we all figure out how to deal with Trump it'll start getting taught in 101 classes across the country. The news is basically in an arms race with politicians, only we don't seem to be willing to adapt until after.

On the contrary.

They were very much prepared. To profit off of him. And that's part of the reason he won. Also, he knew what he was doing.

"Trump lies again" while true, sounds biased to the average person and could contribute further to making media seem too liberal to regular people.

It's a difficult situation to dance around.

studyguy

The most push back Trump got was those little blurbs that fact checked him in the headline banners when it was blatantly false. Anyone who believes larger news media are suddenly going to grow some balls and start phrasing headlines properly are out of their minds. Too many media outlets on television are still in the 'objective look' mindset where both sides need equal times despite one side throwing out wildly untrue claims.

mo60

In the next week or so. Also, hilary's lead in CA is now approaching 4.25 million. She will probably get around 8.9 million votes in CA once all of the votes are counted.

pigeon

Banned
"Trump lies again" while true, sounds biased to the average person and could contribute further to making media seem too liberal to regular people.

Frankly, I think this is the concern that leads to covering Bannon as a "populist."

If people find the media too liberal for accurately reporting that Trump is lying then the media may as well give up on those people.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It wouldn't be as much of a problem if it wasn't for the internet. If we were still in the age of big newsrooms and editors deciding what gets reported (and how) and what's newsworthy then Trump likely loses.

The media as a whole should take some of the blame for all this shit going down, but the internet and social media are also massively at fault. Unfortunately this is too multifaceted to be a simple fix by a singular group. Everyone involved needs to fix things on their end otherwise it'll just happen again and again.

It wouldn't be as much of a problem if it wasn't for the internet. If we were still in the age of big newsrooms and editors deciding what gets reported (and how) and what's newsworthy then Trump likely loses.

The media as a whole should take some of the blame for all this shit going down, but the internet and social media are also massively at fault. Unfortunately this is too multifaceted to be a simple fix by a singular group. Everyone involved needs to fix things on their end otherwise it'll just happen again and again.

Big tech companies are too libertarian to do anything. Facebook, Google, Reddit, Twitter, none of them are going to do anything because they:

1. Do not really think any of this is their fault
2. Even if they admit it was their fault, the freedom to say and do anything should be protected at all costs, no matter the consequences.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Big tech companies are too libertarian to do anything. Facebook, Google, Reddit, Twitter, none of them are going to do anything because they:

2. Even if they admit it was their fault, the freedom to say and do anything should be protected at all costs, no matter the consequences.

Which means it's just going to get worse and worse.

pigeon

Banned

I actually don't think this is true. I mean, you literally listed four sites that instituted new policies, from advertisement restrictions to direct user bans, after the election.

I think that many people in Silicon Valley, and all over the country really, viewed the culture war as won. I don't encounter any Nazis in the course of my day, after all. If the ongoing march of liberalism and progressivism is inevitable, then libertarian business ideals like "letting everybody speak" are a safe luxury. If Nazis are a tiny minority and their candidate is going to get crushed in a landslide, why bother banning them?

It's different now. A lot of people woke up on November 9th asking themselves what they should have done differently. I certainly did.

Time will tell. But I am hopeful that people in the age of Trump will start awakening to their moral responsibility to fight for justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom