• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what are the chances that trump will dismantle the first amendment or abolish it all together? I hear that he doesnt like critique and thats basically whats holding him off from issueing edicts that will allow journalists to be dealt as terrorists

Vixdean

All because fucking white people got mad they were called racists. Tell me this, when's the last time someone got mad for being called something they aren't? Hint: never.

I don't think Obama is achieving what he thinks he is by rolling over for Trump with this "smooth" transition. The right doesn't respect it, and neither does the left.

And I don't care about his favorability. This election has been a referendum on the data and how we traditionally interpret it. I've never seen so much apathy toward Obama as I have in the last few months. People think he's a good person, but a terrible leader. And I'm starting to agree.

People forget (thanks to the Rachel Maddow show for pointing it out last night) that the most inspirational thing Democrats did this year was not nominating Hillary Clinton. It wasn't Obama's "steadiness" or duty to his office. It wasn't the Democrats' foolhardy respect for the "norms" of government, their penchant for turning the other cheek to receive another beating.

No, the most inspirational thing Democrats did, the thing that really woke people up and got people paying attention, was this:

aXPSvUb.jpg
Who did that wake up and make pay attention? Surely not a majority of Americans.

The sooner people accept that Donald Trump won the presidential election and will be president, the sooner we can plan on what to do about it. Complaining that Obama hasn't openly challenged the president-elect and made the transition rocky just doesn't make sense to me. Obama spent years attacking W Bush on multiple levels. President Bush still made it a top priority to ensure a smooth transition because it was what was best for the country. Smooth transitions of power are essential to this democracy.

Would I like to stop hearing Obama say the office of president will humble Trump/perhaps make him better? Hell yes. But outside of that I have no complaints. There hasn't been much drama outside of the Israel fuckery, which Trump seemingly started by meddling with Egypt.

Every time People ask what should Obama have done the response boils down to some sentimental stuff. Obama has shown us for ten years that he's not really interested in that shit. I seem to remember a lot of liberals enjoying that. But now that we lost everyone wants him to...do what exactly. This is what the American people chose. This is what a majority of white women voted for. This is what a sizable chunk of "Obama coalition" voters sat at home on Election Day for. Perhaps we should work on figuring that out and fixing it. With a decent candidate next time, and a better party.

(This is one of the few times we've disagreed. Ultimately we agree on the future direction that needs to be taken, I just think the past is the past at this point in terms of the election results.)

studyguy

I honestly don't know enough about the Israel situation to warrant a comment on the... Threat? Against.... NZ from... Netanyahu...?

All those things put together make a confusing sentence really. Not exactly a graceful touch with diplomacy there, Bibi. Reading back on what past PMs have gotten on outgoing heads of state I guess it really isn't his thing /shrug.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
All because fucking white people got mad they were called racists. Tell me this, when's the last time someone got mad for being called something they aren't? Hint: never.

I see what you're getting at, but people are going to be mad when they're slandered or labeled. Black people should damn well be mad, for instance, at racists calling them thugs.

The problem with "white people" as a group is the ingrained aversion to recognizing white privilege and institutional racism. So yes, they got mad at that stuff being called what it is with plain speaking.

Perhaps a better way to put it would be: who gets mad when they're asked whether they're part of the problem or the solution, if they're not a part of the problem?

Essentially, white people (collectively) have been told what the problem is, and have gotten extremely mad at reflecting on whether (individually) they are part of the problem or the solution. Which says a whole lot about what many white people know about themselves but won't admit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Your first sentence is right on the money. Your second sentence is way off the mark.

Zabka

You really think people don't get mad at false accusations and insults?

Vixdean

You really think people don't get mad at false accusations and insults?

No, not really. Annoyed sure, and maybe constant repeated accusations eventually get to them, but in my experience you only get a knee jerk angry response when there's at least a hint of truth to the accusation. When I get a called a terrorist because I have brown skin and a beard, it makes me laugh. When I got called chubby, it pissed me off, because it was true. The election of Trump was one giant knee jerk response to racists being accused of racism.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not convinced he even realizes his entire life is no longer in his control and is now 100% public.

Tweets like that don't appear to paint a picture of a man who even realizes the election is over.
True story, I accidentally went to the fist page of this thread and read this post and didn't think twice that it wasn't from today.

Not much has changed since November 10th.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Shocked and amazed by Kerry's Israel comments. This is a huge shift.

Really not mincing words here. Definitely a hell of a change.
Too bad it came in the lame duck "let's finally do it because there is no way to punish us further at this point" rather than previously when morally everything else was the same but they didn't want to face the consequences.

This Kerry speech has been amazing, dropping truth bombs all over place. Everyone is at fault and he is calling them all on it. Trumps reponse to this speech is going to be shameful

Trump's tweets will get more attention than the Kerry press conference.

Perfect for short attention span media

Meanwhile:

John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood 56m56 minutes ago
on Trump tweets attacking Obama, WH @PressSec responds: "We've been ignoring these tweets for a year - why would we start responding now?"

Wilsongt

Oh.

A South Carolina lawmaker known for his support for the Second Amendment and Confederate flag was released from jail on Tuesday after allegedly beating and pointing a gun at his wife, the Charleston Post and Courier reported.

The Aiken County Sheriff’s Office charged Rep. Chris Corley (R) with first-degree domestic violence and pointing and presenting a firearm for the Monday incident, according to the Post and Courier. The newspaper reported that Corley was released after posting $20,000 bail on the condition that he have no contact with his wife or be in possession of a firearm.

According to an incident report obtained by the Post and Courier, Corley’s wife told police that he punched her in the face repeatedly in front of two children, aged 2 and 8, after he had been “caught cheating.” She alleged that he only stopped hitting her when the children began screaming and he saw blood coming from her head. Corley then allegedly retrieved a handgun from a vehicle outside, pointed it at her, and said he was going to kill himself before going into a bedroom, according to his wife.

I don't think Bibi has got what it takes to have a good relationship with Trump.

It would require sucking up to him but I think Bibi is probably the only person with a larger, more sensitive ego than the Idiot-elect.

Second he crosses Trump he'll throw him and israel off the train.

I don't think Bibi has got what it takes to have a good relationship with Trump.

It would require sucking up to him but I think Bibi is probably the only person with a larger, more sensitive ego than the Idiot-elect.

Second Bibi crosses Trump he'll throw him and israel off the train.

Turkey-US relations are also gonna be super fun also considering that Erdogan's ego might be bigger and more sensitive than both Bibi and Trump.

See my tag.

It's true though.

When 92% of black voters don’t support the Republican nominee, but the KKK does, there’s a problem. Let’s deal with it and move forward. https://t.co/tzaFkMdTO7 — Evan McMullin (@Evan_McMullin) December 27, 2016

as compared with:

AMY GOODMAN: And who do you think he represents?

SEN. BERNIE SANDERS: That’s a good question, and I don’t know that I can give you a definitive answer, but this is what I think. For a start, in terms of the campaign, what he did is, as I indicated in my remarks, he touched a nerve. And it would be wrong to deny that. There are some people who think that everybody who voted for Donald Trump is a racist, a sexist or a homophobe or a xenophobe. I don’t believe that. Are those people in his camp? Absolutely. But it would be a tragic mistake to believe that everybody who voted for Donald Trump is a "deplorable." They’re not. These are people who are disgusted, and they are angry at the establishment. And the Democratic Party has not been clear enough, in my view, about telling those people, whether they are white, whether they are black, Latino, Asian American or whatever, women, gay, whatever, that we are on their side. And too often what we look at is identity. You’re a woman. Well, that’s good, but we need more women in the political process. We need more African Americans in the political process, more Latinos. No question about that. But we need people who will have the guts to stand up to the billionaire class and corporate America and fight for working families.

Which one do you think will play better in an appeal?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Some say his son-in-law is largely running the show though, and he's unlikely to turn on Israel.

What is he, the Stig? "Some say that his voice can only be heard by cats, and that he has two sets of knees..."

I seriously doubt anyone could stand between Trump and "making a deal."

AndyD

aka andydumi
What is he, the Stig? "Some say that his voice can only be heard by cats, and that he has two sets of knees..."

All right I laughed at that one.

Realistically, what deal would there be to cause him to sell out his family? Do you think Russia/Europe/China/the World would cut off ties with the US over our stance on Israel?

More to the point, he'll be the President. The buck stops with him. If he says jump, his advisors have two options: resign, or "how high?" His son-in-law could theoretically be calling the day-to-day shots, but if Trump picks a direction, that is the direction his administration will have to follow.

Azzanadra

It's true though.

as compared with:

Which one do you think will play better in an appeal?

Bernie's sounds better to be quite honest. You are just perpetuating the type of liberal echo-chamber that let Trump win, by refusing to understand the issues that people face and going "lul they are all racist fuck em". Not that their aren't "deplorable" in Trump's camp, but many can be reasoned with, in fact many lifelong Democrats switched to Trump. What do you say about that?

Bernie's right, and as Joe Biden said- "you can't eat equality". People need their basic physiological needs met first, which for many people Trump would provide/maintain. In a way, I can sympathize- growing up in a lower-middle class household, my parents first and foremost decision at the voting booth was living under a government that would ensure they could keep their jobs and ensure that we (the kids) could go to school, eat etc. I imagine this is the case for most people.

Turkey-US relations are also gonna be super fun also considering that Erdogan's ego might be bigger and more sensitive than both Bibi and Trump.

Funny I always thought the Trump-Hitler comparisons were nonsense, as there are much more relevant modern examples- Trump to me was a combination of Erdogan and Bibi, he has the thin-skinned authoritarianism of Erdogan, and the demagoguery and race-baiting of Bibi.

AndyD

aka andydumi
More to the point, he'll be the President. The buck stops with him. If he says jump, his advisors have two options: resign, or "how high?" His son-in-law could theoretically be calling the day-to-day shots, but if Trump picks a direction, that is the direction his administration will have to follow.

In theory yes. In practice we saw his campaign and are already seeing the seeds of him disavowing responsibility for things as we go. He won't take intelligence briefings, so he can claim he does not know much on that topic. Daily press briefings might go away, so everything can come via scripted press-releases and/or favorable media avenues and there's no pressing for answers. We're seeing groundwork for internet and media surveillance/censorship which will certainly intimidate dissent.

I honestly see a huge rise in stonewalling by the White House and FOIA requests and litigation discovery being a norm with this administration. But both of those are a months later affair whereas a twitter post and two sentence call in to Fox will dominate the mindshare, it's the Carrier jobs-to-Mexico announcement just on a large scale.

mackaveli

Where was this announced?

He announcing it shortly. It was mentioned in the morning on CNBC and when someone asked one of Trump's team members what it was about, he said we will let you keep guessing or some shit.

Edit - No idea if its a big economic policy, or something like the Carrier deal, no one knows. Who knows what it is.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Its almost as if... consumer confidence has been something that has been steadily building over the last 8 years of hard work to recover from the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression. Nah!

Not disagreeing but if you just look at 2016, or even 15-16 you will see that post election there's a spike. And that's the other way to present this data which is favorable to his point. It's exactly the type of chart tomfoolery Daily Show would have highlighted.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Not disagreeing but if you just look at 2016, or even 15-16 you will see that post election there's a spike. And that's the other way to present this data which is favorable to his point. It's exactly the type of chart tomfoolery Daily Show would have highlighted.
Sure it looks gangster at 3 months. Context be damned!

Bernie's sounds better to be quite honest. You are just perpetuating the type of liberal echo-chamber that let Trump win, by refusing to understand the issues that people face and going "lul they are all racist fuck em". Not that their aren't "deplorable" in Trump's camp, but many can be reasoned with, in fact many lifelong Democrats switched to Trump. What do you say about that?

Bernie's right, and as Joe Biden said- "you can't eat equality". People need their basic physiological needs met first, which for many people Trump would provide/maintain. In a way, I can sympathize- growing up in a lower-middle class household, my parents first and foremost decision at the voting booth was living under a government that would ensure they could keep their jobs and ensure that we (the kids) could go to school, eat etc. I imagine this is the case for most people.

That quote from Biden has to be one of the dumbest lines I have ever read; it is like the offspring of an unholy union of ignorance and privilege. It astonishes me that someone like Biden could say that without any sense of self-awareness. Inequality kills people. Inequality discriminates against people. Inequality impoverishes, disenfranchises, silences, dehumanizes, it makes you the 'other'. You can't eat equality, give me a motherfucking break, you literally wouldn't be able to eat in the same goddamn restaurant as white people without equality.

Equality was never for white people, equality is for all those people whose lives suffer when it doesn't exist. It's fucking depressing to see highly prominent democratic leaders question what the real-world value of equality is. MLK's white moderates never really left us I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom