• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP_

Banned
I'm not saying it's gonna happen but I don't think it's a bad thing to communicate reasons the other 47% should fucking get off their asses and vote.

This is how thoroughly the DNC screwed up:

JESUS. A Balanced Budget Amendment, Right to Life Amendment, Marriage Definition Amendment, Anti-Union Amendment, Anti-Islam Amendment, elimination of birthright citizenship, eliminating the direct election of senators, and most of all, striking the 16th Amendment so the government can't tax and spend anymore. This is all on the table.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah.. but really we could have lost even more state legislatures and they could possibly have gotten two thirds of the house and senate in 2018 with the typical horrible dem White House mid term with Hillary in there...We needed to wake up. Obama and Clinton had virtually zero strategy and now it's time we get one.

They'd need to win 43 seats in the House and 13 seats in the Senate, in a single election; or alternatively win 10 gubernatorial positions (are there even that many D governorships coming up in 2018?). Let's not just fearmonger, I'm a super duper pessimist and that isn't a reasonable proposition.

I mean, obviously the state game needs fixing for all sorts of other reasons, but this isn't a worry. Constitutional amendments being rammed through by the Republicans are a loooong way away.

The Dems were losing badly f in local and state elections for awhile. In sense they needed a kick in the teeth for awhile. Will see how they move forward. Depending how the final results are caste and what Obama might do, the democrats might come to a different conclusion than we do here on that they plan to do. Also I think Bernie might be jumping the gun too early.

kirblar

JESUS. A Balanced Budget Amendment, Right to Life Amendment, Marriage Definition Amendment, Anti-Union Amendment, Anti-Islam Amendment, elimination of birthright citizenship, eliminating the direct election of senators, and most of all, striking the 16th Amendment so the government can't tax and spend anymore. This is all on the table.
They can't get that through 2/3rds of the house/senate.

The DNC needs to be gutted and redeveloped. Again, why its so important to get Ellison elected to head the DNC- he's done that work at the ground level for a long time.

Importantly, a lot of the Bernie movement is getting fired up based on my perusals of Reddit. If we can harness a lot of the energy from that and use that to reform the DNC, the party will be for the better.

Grexeno

The DNC needs to be gutted and redeveloped. Again, why its so important to get Ellison elected to head the DNC- he's done that work at the ground level for a long time.

Importantly, a lot of the Bernie movement is getting fired up based on my perusals of Reddit. If we can harness a lot of the energy from that and use that to reform the DNC, the party will be for the better.
And that reformed DNC will put up a McGovern in 2020 and get McGovern'd.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Boy are people fucking pissed: protests just keep going. Inauguration day is going to be a mess in D.C.

When the news gets out that Clinton won by 2% of the vote...

This.

We need to seriously consider all data before moving further left. I don't see it yet as the right move at all.

kirblar

...that's not how the DNC works.

Clinton had pushed aside other contenders through sheer force of momentum before the primaries started. Only Biden could have fought, but he had just lost his son.

Diablos

Washington Post reminding everyone of the obvious:

So let’s review what just happened. To guarantee that people with pre-existing conditions can get affordable health insurance, you need to have rules requiring guaranteed issue and community rating. To keep insurance companies in business because of guaranteed issue and community rating, you need to have an individual mandate. And because poor people can’t afford health insurance, you need subsidies. Combine all three, and what you have, in a nutshell, is ... Obamacare.

If Trump just keeps popular provisions that make for good headlines, like allowing those with pre-existing conditions to get on a plan and people up to age 26 being permitted to stay on their parents' health insurance, the law is still doomed if everything else gets thrown out the window.

So basically he ends up where everyone since Nixon has landed when they take an objective look at this: Some variation of Obamacare, OR if you just want to be a complete heartless swine you go down Paul Ryan's dark path and basically bankrupt and/or kill millions of people.

Great times we are living in!

Pixieking

Banned
...that's not how the DNC works.

Clinton had pushed aside other contenders through sheer force of momentum before the primaries started. Only Biden could have fought, but he had just lost his son.

This is why pushing the idea of a Kander or Kamala for 2020 should be kicked around soon... On the one hand, people cry "Rigged" if it seems pre-ordained. On the other, raising awareness and enthusiasm for someone now means you can kick through the mid-terms and on to 2020 with a specific person to rally behind.

I mean, if it's charisma and sheer force of personality you want, then start creating that soon.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is why pushing the idea of a Kander or Kamala for 2020 should be kicked around soon... On the one hand, people cry "Rigged" if it seems pre-ordained. On the other, raising awareness and enthusiasm for someone now means you can kick through the mid-terms and on to 2020 with a specific person to rally behind.

I mean, if it's charisma and sheer force of personality you want, then start creating that soon.

plz no.

If they are good at messaging, it will come through in the primaries.

Let's get rid of super delegates instead, and push for open, same day primaries.

kirblar

plz no.

Let's get rid of super delegates instead, and push for open, same day primaries.
There is absolutely no reason to get rid of super delegates other than to placate the victim mentalities of Bernie voters who don't understand how the process works.

You don't want your 2020 candidate in the limelight right now. You need to keep them out of the crosshairs.

I can't believe the FBI and KGB worked together to elect an American Maduro.

What the fuck happened to everything.

How did the FBI and KGB's interests start lining up, what the fuck.

Revolver

Democrats haven't won a statewide election in Tennessee in a decade. It's so depressing being a Democrat here and how the GOP runs roughshod over everything. I think we've got a total of 2 Democrats in DC. The one bright spot here are the mayors, all the largest cities have Democratic mayors. Hell, the mayor of my city is a Democratic woman with MS. Maybe the future will be brighter with Karl Dean possibly running for governor. I don't know. The way things have been gerrymandered to hell and back it's really hard to imagine it turning around.

plz no.

Yeah. Stop propping candidates by the pedestal like they did Clinton. If the DNC decides its someones "turn" to be candidate we are fucked.

Kusagari

If Bernie seriously does run again in 2020, I feel like his name value at this point easily carries him through the primaries.

That's the problem right now if someone like Kander tries to run against him.

Diablos

Superdelegates probably need to go. I don't mind them personally because if nothing else they prevent a loon from hijacking your party *cough*, but Bernie kind of turned it into a swear word and they have become increasingly unpopular since 2008.

mackaveli

Didn't Maher make a good point about voting in rural and urban areas. That in rural areas it is probably faster and easier to vote so Republican's do well. But in urban areas with densely populated you will most likely have to wait a couple of hours and have less polling places.

He was talking about this with Holder yesterday.

Pixieking

Banned
Yeah. Stop propping candidates by the pedestal like they did Clinton. If the DNC decides its someones "turn" to be candidate we are fucked.

I preface this and the previous comment by saying I'm not wholly convinced by my argument myself... :)

I will say that the DNC shouldn't need to get its hands dirty with it at this stage - you could theoretically just start pushing Kander to various states as a person to rally behind and smooth tensions out. His statement proves that he's not going to sit idly by, and he should be able to enthuse/motivate Hillary supporters and the general DNC base.

As I say, though, not entirely sure of it. :p

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So considering the pied piper strategy, how likely is it that Glenn Beck was actually a Democrat plant?

Posted?

Democrats Hoping ‘Trump Effect’ Would Drive Latino Turnout Neglected Engagement Work

On Sept. 5, 2014, Democratic National Committee leaders received a proposal for a plan to boost the Hispanic voter turnout rate using direct mail, phone calls, radio ads and news media appearances. The plan urged that the party focus on Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas. The cost: $3 million.

“While a strong Democratic allegiance is good for the Party, less than half of eligible Hispanics cast a ballot in 2012,” the proposal reads. “The challenge is not persuading Latinos to vote for Democrats ― our challenge in 2014 is TURNOUT.” [Emphasis in the original.]

The plan was ultimately nixed.

The author of the proposal, then-DNC Hispanic Engagement Director Albert Morales, stayed at the committee until 2016, trying to cobble together a budget to build a robust Latino engagement effort. While Democrats publicly gloated about the country’s changing demographics, Morales worried his party wouldn’t capitalize on the shift. The Republican National Committee, despite later selecting Donald Trump as its presidential nominee, was devoting significant resources to Hispanic outreach, including permanent Hispanic staff in 10 states.

“I just asked for what I needed,” Morales told HuffPost. “I ended up getting closer to $300,000 and it all went to radio. … It was just pitiful.”

Both Morales and Pablo Manriquez, who worked for a year and a half as the DNC’s Hispanic media director, described an atmosphere in which their pleas to invest in Latino engagement often were met with disinterest. Manriquez said he at times paid his own bus fare and slept on friends’ sofas to meet with Hispanic television and news executives in New York.

“There was only one other Hispanic in the entire third floor,” Manriquez said of his time at the DNC. “And when I did see one I had to speak to them in Spanish so people wouldn’t try to undercut us from doing our job.”

Both Morales and Manriquez left the DNC during the presidential campaign, leaving the committee for weeks without a Spanish speaker on its media staff.

The DNC did not respond to multiple phone calls and emails requesting comment.

The Clinton campaign itself viewed Hispanics as a key constituency and made robust efforts to reach them. Clinton recruited Lorella Praeli, a prominent immigrant rights activist who is undocumented herself, into the campaign to work on outreach. Clinton aired an ad early in the general election campaign featuring the candidate promising to take care of a young girl worried about her parents being deported. Her staff organized campaigns to reach Hispanic voters through text messages and Facebook Live chats. And the campaign sank $10 million into more traditional ads, including more than 50 that ran on television in both Spanish and English, and 30 Spanish-language radio ads.

But even before Clinton’s stunning election loss, some critics wondered why her campaign’s Latino outreach strategy appeared to depart from what had served President Barack Obama well.

Fernand Amandi, a pollster and political consultant, helped develop Obama’s media strategy in Florida for the 2012 campaign. His plan called for airing television ads in English and Spanish, beginning a year before the election, highlighting positive themes rather than negative ones, and having extended conversations on Spanish-language broadcasters like Univision and Telemundo.

With just two months remaining before Election Day, however, Clinton had for the most part neglected Spanish-language television ads in Florida. She went on to lose the state, partly due to her weakness among Cuban American voters.

“If you believe that [Obama’s 2012 campaign] was a successful approach, many of those rules were violated in this campaign,” Amandi told HuffPost.

More at the link.

The DNC seemed the RNC from what's coming out.

There is certain irony in saying Bernie should rebuild the party in his name, and then become the nominee. While spending the same breath to deride the "coronation" of Hillary.

The coalition is good, it got the majority of votes while losing strategic margins. There is a messaging and messenger issue that needs to be addressed. More importantly is not not fall in the revenge trap that got us to the field thinking Hillary was a clear shoe in. The pulse of the country in four years need to be taken into account where we pick a candidate. We also need to bring the activist wing on board to push the message and to energize. We need both, not either.

Today on Breitbart

2nhzaN6.jpg

Pixieking

Banned
Carrier isn’t changing its plans to move an Indiana factory to Mexico. Donald Trump's supporters expect action.

Now his supporters expect action. “If he doesn’t pass that tariff, I will vote the other way next time,” warned Nicole Hargrove, who has worked at Carrier for a decade and a half and is not certain what she will do if and when her job goes to Mexico.

Carrier isn’t changing its plans. On Friday in a written statement, the company said, “We are making every effort to ease the transition for our Carrier colleagues in Indiana.” The company pointed out that it will finance four-year retraining and educational programs for employees and provide financial help.

For Mr. Trump, now comes the hard part. In interviews in recent days and in March, Trump voters here made clear that if he does not follow through on his promises, they are prepared to turn on him, just as they are seemingly punishing Democrats today for not delivering the hope and change voters sought from President Obama after he won as an outsider in 2008.

This isn't hard, guys and girls.

royalan

Kander is not going to be the one to smooth tensions. Nobody knows who Kander even is.

That job will fall to Obama. Lets not overlook our still massively popular president who still wants to be involved when he leaves office.

I don't think we see who we'll put up for 2020 right now, but honestly that is NOT what we should be focusing on. Did y'all see that map? 2018 needs to be the priority. 2020 could be fucking doomsday depending on what happens in 2018.

Kander is not going to be the one to smooth tensions. Nobody knows who Kander even is.

That job will fall to Obama. Lets not overlook our still massively popular president who still wants to be involved when he leaves office.

I don't think we see who we'll put up for 2020 right now, but honestly that is NOT what we should be focusing on. Did y'all see that map? 2018 needs to be the priority. 2020 could be fucking doomsday depending on what happens in 2018.

Whoever it will be, they will need the blessings of the Obamas and Sanders in a clear and immediate way so there's no infighting.

Pixieking

Banned

Yup, we shouldn't get distracted, especially after reading that NYT article - 2018 looks very doable if Trump and the GOP fucks up (which is very likely),

There is certain irony in saying Bernie should rebuild the party in his name, and then become the nominee. While spending the same breath to deride the "coronation" of Hillary.

The coalition is good, it got the majority of votes while losing strategic margins. There is a messaging and messenger issue that needs to be addressed. More importantly is not not fall in the revenge trap that got us to the field thinking Hillary was a clear shoe in. The pulse of the country in four years need to be taken into account where we pick a candidate. We also need to bring the activist wing on board to push the message and to energize. We need both, not either.

I have to preface all this by saying I was a Hillary supporter in the primaries!

As I've reflected on the election (and life!), I've realized that there is a big problem in this country. You have a large chunk of this country that has been left behind- whether you want to say its blacks in inner cities or impoverished whites in the rust belt, there are a lot of people that have been left behind. Whatever the DNC does going forward needs to move forward to engage those communities.

The DNC needs to encourage an open and fair primary in all of their elections going forward. I completely agree that we need to work on both messaging and picking the appropriate messenger.

Overall, I see the passion for change from Democrats and I'm pretty damn excited.

PBY

Banned

Obama has to get out there and be public.

Shit wish he could run the DNC....

Populism is historically inextricable from finding an "other" to vilify, weather that's a group inside your nation, xenophobia, or both. There was an excellent long piece someone linked me too that I'm trying to track down
True, but it doesn't have to be that way. People are angry, connect them to the true responsible besides themselves and let them express that emotion democratically by voting.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I preface this and the previous comment by saying I'm not wholly convinced by my argument myself... :)

I will say that the DNC shouldn't need to get its hands dirty with it at this stage - you could theoretically just start pushing Kander to various states as a person to rally behind and smooth tensions out. His statement proves that he's not going to sit idly by, and he should be able to enthuse/motivate Hillary supporters and the general DNC base.

As I say, though, not entirely sure of it. :p

No. Absolutely no. The message from this election screams that people are done with the established political classes. Even lightly putting a finger on the scale just harms whoever you want to do it for. People don't like the DNC, they hate it. If it comes out in 2020 that Kander was even mildly given special treatment, it will be a millstone around his neck. The next primary needs to be absolutely and scrupulously a product of Democratic primary voters, no one else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom