• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
$15/hr being pushed isn't a result of people spontaneously figuring out that it's the "moral thing to do", it's the result of a bankrolled "Fight for Fifteen" marketing and advocacy campaign. Shinra's absolutely correct on this one- politics is totally about marketing. Median voter theory is key to understanding why Obama/Clinton slowly moved further left over time- they were both playing the game to win.

Morals are bullshit. They mean whatever the person wants them to mean, it's like appealing to "What would Jesus do" or "What would MLK do".

Yep, spot on. Politics is just a war between camps, and it's fought with marketing and install bases.

Omar Matten was a "known quantity" to the FBI

“He’s a known quantity,” the source said. “He’s been on the radar before."
The gunman is said by the source to have been born in New York and to have been married for a time to a woman from New Jersey. His father, Seddique Mateen, appears to reside in Florida, but is said to be presently running for office in Afghanistan.
Seddique told NBC News that the sight of two men kissing angered his son.

"We are saying we are apologizing for the whole incident. We weren't aware of any action he is taking," Seddique said. "We are in shock like the whole country." Seddique added that the attack "has nothing to do with religion."

The law enforcement source says there is also no immediate indication that Omar Mateen had any direct connection to ISIS.
The source did not that ISIS recently declared online that its follower s should mount attacks to mark the approach of the holy month Ramadan.

Trump's only tweet is about how this could have been terrorism. Nothing about condolences to the families affected. Doesn't even have the common sense to pretend to give a crap.

Shooting came from Islamist extremist. Expect many "I told you so's" from Trump and his camp in the coming days.

What's amazing is that he couldn't even express sympathy to the victims this morning. Just tweeted about it like an impartial journalist just reporting the news.

So we're allowed to donate blood today?

Edit: Okay, crying at the line of people that showed up today to donate blood.

CkwrOsgW0AAEs1A.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If it's true he was on a watch list, this needs to be shouted from the rooftops during this Election.

And PLEASE let Obama mention this...

nCC4GpQ.png

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If it's true he was on a watch list, this needs to be shouted from the rooftops during this Election.

I was watching CNN a few minutes ago and they were talking about the bullets being used, those things shouldn't even be available for commercial purchase.

Also, finally heard back from a friend in Orlando so that's a relief.

ampere

http://i.imgur.com/nCC4GpQ.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's immensely frustrating if true. Ugh, don't even want to think about it right now.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I was watching CNN a few minutes ago and they were talking about the bullets being used, those things shouldn't even be available for commercial purchase.

Also, finally heard back from a friend in Orlando so that's a relief

Glad to hear.

olympia

"GOP blocks bill to stop terrorists from buying guns"

seems heavily editorialized. just because you are on a watch list does not mean you are a terrorist. what was the actual bill?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A friend of mine was there last night. He left about an hour before this all started apparently.

It happened during Pride.

Thank god dude, seriously glad he's ok.

Glad to hear.

You and me both.

"GOP blocks bill to stop terrorists from buying guns"

seems heavily editorialized. just because you are on a watch list does not mean you are a terrorist. what was the actual bill?

If you're on the watchlist you'd be barred from buying a gun. The list sure as shit isn't perfect, but considering we won't do anything real about it...

Also, finally heard back from a friend in Orlando so that's a relief.

Glad your friend is okay.

Slayven

Call me cynical, but I don't think the shooting will get the attention it needs because of who the victims are. It would force some people to admit their bathroom theoretic is harmful and endangering people

Holmes

Obama will speak in an hour. Hillary has a speech in Cleveland that was going to be about the election and Trump, but that's changed now (her speech is still on).

olympia

If you're on the watchlist you'd be barred from buying a gun. The list sure as shit isn't perfect, but considering we won't do anything real about it...

we can do something real about the watchlist, and then legislate gun control laws from there. considering that there is no due process or evidence-based system of determining who is actually linked to terrorism, i can understand the objection to that bill.

a lot of gaffers seem pretty convinced that their search history has the potential to some sort of list, that doesn't indicate a system that is working and indicates a system where people can have their rights taken away arbitrarily. even more insidious is the potential for institutionalized racism because of the watchlist. it's a pretty safe assumption that there are muslims or people of arab descent who are on the watchlist for no good reason other than their race.

to be honest, this guy being on a watchlist doesn't really mean anything because there are thousands of americans on the list who are not linked in any way to terrorism. this guy happened to be a radical dipshit but it's not like the fbi really did anything about or see him as a risk because of the apparently broad criteria of the list.

wrt to gun control and this senseless tragedy, it's apparent that this kid had gear that was not supposed to be obtainable by a civilian, that right there needs to be examined. we can't diminish the awful way american society looks at LGBT people either.

Call me cynical, but I don't think the shooting will get the attention it needs because of who the victims are. It would force some people to admit their bathroom theoretic is harmful and endangering people

Of course it won't get the attention it needs.

I am so...numb and sad. Because I was celebrating that we'd never live in a country in which an LGBT kid would grow up not being able to get married. Today, an entire generation of queer kids is going to grow up realizing that a fucking kiss can set someone off so much they'll go shoot up a place where we celebrate our community.

And the response won't be universal condemnation. We're not even fucking entitled to that. There will be people, and we all know this, who will say "Yes, it's tragic...but...." And, ya, these small minded, low empathy people aren't worthy of our time....but fuck.

My mom is silent right now. It's way more terrifying. I wish she'd start yelling or cussing out someone. Just....quiet.

Obama will speak in an hour. Hillary has a speech in Cleveland that was going to be about the election and Trump, but that's changed now (her speech is still on).

Yes, even Trump will have to delay his attack speech for another day.

(I'm assuming he has the dignity to do that, who the hell knows with him).

HylianTom

Banned
Yes, even Trump will have to delay his attack speech for another day.

(I'm assuming he has the dignity to do that, who the hell knows with him).
Not sure about the Trump & dignity thing..

@realDonaldTrump
Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism, I don't want congrats, I want toughness & vigilance. We must be smart!

The man is tone-deaf.

I'm also biting my tongue hard on the thoughts/prayers crowd. It largely overlaps with the crowd who think we should be in prison for private consensual acts, and that we should burn in hell..

The shooter was an abuser also.

I hope Clarence Thomas dies of a heart attack soon, you fucking piece of shit trying to "defend the rights" of abusers.

kess

I feel numbed. I don't think I'm going to be debating much today. A religious conformist with a mean streak can walk into any place with a weapon meant for mass death and kill dozens of people in Anywhere, USA.

The shooter was an abuser also.

I hope Clarence Thomas dies of a heart attack soon, you fucking piece of shit trying to "defend the rights" of abusers.

I hope Hillary fucking skins this guy alive in November and Trump dies a joke with no friends or family.
I know you're upset, but you need to stop wishing for people to die. This is the United States, not Russia. We vote people out, not kill them.

Clarence Thomas cannot be voted out, he can only die.

The last post is me hoping that the rest of Trump's life is miserable and horrid, not a death wish.

Wilsongt

It's hard to muster up anger right now. I'm just... Sad. Hillary and Obama need to go scortchef earth immediately on Trump.

thebloo

I hope someone asks Trump about the victims. Point blank. "Do you think they deserved it?" Point fucking blank. No more hiding behind platitudes. I'm sure he has some the best words. Make him squirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom