• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sen. Kaine's wife resigned as Secretary of Education for the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Hillary will be nominated by John Lewis, Sen. Mikulski and the contest winner.

NeoXChaos

http://www.nola.com/politics/index....me.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
When Gov. John Bel Edwards made a personal appeal to NBA commissioner Adam Silver to move next year's NBA All-Star game from North Carolina to New Orleans over the phone Tuesday morning (July 25), there was one thing that Edwards didn't have to say out loud -- that he is considered the most LGBT-friendly governor in the deep South.

Silver is already well aware of Edwards track record when it comes to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender policy, according to New Orleans business leaders. He knows the governor has signed an executive order protecting LGBT state workers and contractors. He also knows that Louisiana -- unlike several other Southern states -- has rejected legislation the LGBT community considers discriminatory.

Those are some of the reasons why New Orleans is currently a front-runner to receive the NBA All-Star Game that was pulled from Charlotte, N.C., this week. The NBA yanked the game from North Carolina after the state passed a new law that prevents transgender people from using bathrooms that correspond with their gender.

DINO!

WTF is that on the right of Trump? He looks like a foot.
Vince McMahon WWE CEO
his wife Linda (Republican) ran for the senate twice in CT, lost both times
this was Vince's reaction (breaking character.)
IDB4tZY.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Having three separate models is the same as when Gallup had 3 models in 2012, it's basically throwing in the towel. That's what is so disappointing. If there had been a now-cast in 2012 Romney would have been leading it at some point or another.

Iolo

That would be the least shocking thing this cycle. The uber-wealthy do a lot of business with each other. If you're rich and in business for long enough, especially real estate, you'll do business with a lot of different people.

Does he have loans from Russian banks though, and if so, did he use them to finance his campaign? It would be irresponsible not to speculate.

Having three separate models is the same as when Gallup had 3 models in 2012, it's basically throwing in the towel. That's what is so disappointing. If there had been a now-cast in 2012 Romney would have been leading it at some point or another.

What useful information does a now-cast even provide? The election isn't today, and a model that changes wildly on a daily basis doesn't seem very useful for anything.

But whats Cher doing??

LET'S ASK TWITTER

Cher ‏@cher 24m24 minutes ago
Ok Daddy,,, I'll Do Whatever you want.. ,Just Make Me List & promise you'll
respect me in the morning

THIS IS REALLY WHAT SHE TWEETED

Cher ‏@cher 51m51 minutes ago
Who's Your Daddy,Donny⁉️
You Know what I Like....

Cher ‏@cher 31m31 minutes ago
Yes,��Destroying NATO Will Make Daddy Very Happy����Yes Donny,WE'll HAVE ENDLESS POWER‼️YES,BABY WE'LL BULLY THE��2GETHER.. WE HAVE THE CODES����

LET'S ASK TWITTER

THIS IS REALLY WHAT SHE TWEETED

Cher ‏@cher 51m51 minutes ago
Who's Your Daddy,Donny⁉️
You Know what I Like....

Cher ‏@cher 31m31 minutes ago
Yes,��Destroying NATO Will Make Daddy Very Happy����Yes Donny,WE'll HAVE ENDLESS POWER‼️YES,BABY WE'LL BULLY THE��2GETHER.. WE HAVE THE CODES����
Lol

Now cast isn't supposed to be a "real" model for predicting the election the same way polls-plus and polls-only are. It's more for exploring curiosity about what would happen if the election were held today.

The problem of course is that getting clicks is the name of the game and the wild swings inherent in such a model make for great clickbait. It's antithetical to what 538 is supposed to be about to sensationalize polling results right after the Republican convention, but I suspect Sam Wang is correct about the pressure Nate is under right now.

Conservatives losing their collective shits over a gender-neutral bathroom at the DNC.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2016/07/26/3802094/dnc-all-gender-restroom/

Like, really!? It's not that hard. You just, you know...go pee pee or poo poo. Good lord. Conservatives just lose their shit (no pun intended, I guess?) over the bathroom issue.

Wait so Vermont is going to the state that pushes Hillary over to clinch the nomination?

lol

No. She'll already be the nominee by the time Vermont goes. Vermont will request that we nominate her by acclimation. Meaning the official count will be all delegates to Hillary.

Like, really!? It's not that hard. You just, you know...go pee pee or poo poo. Good lord. Conservatives just lose their shit (no pun intended, I guess?) over the bathroom issue.

No. She'll already be the nominee by the time Vermont goes. Vermont will request that we nominate her by acclimation. Meaning the official count will be all delegates to Hillary.
And then Bernie announces he's taking Stein's place on the Green Party ticket!

Right?

Right?

That's what's happening right? That's usually what happens? I wouldn't know, I've never followed politics before. I didn't even know what an electrical college was!

This Bernie supporter "I don't like ANYTHING Hillary stands for."

I mean, sure, okay? Whatever. You're a mess, and your sister is the smart one in the family, because she was a Nader voter in Florida in 2000. And she knows she fucked up.

OMG

This Bernie supporter says she is refusing to vote Hillary to "punish" the DNC and if Trump wins that's fine, because the DNC will be PUNISHED!

These people are a mess.

Now cast isn't supposed to be a "real" model for predicting the election the same way polls-plus and polls-only are. It's more for exploring curiosity about what would happen if the election were held today.

But I'd argue it's HIGHLY inaccurate in actually answering this question.

Once again, 9 of 10 polls show Hillary up in Pa by around 5.

Silver's NOW-CAST has Trump up 1.

It is stupid.

I mean, a model that shows who would win today would basically just take into account the polls of the last 2 weeks or something and nothing else. His Now CAST is the same as the other models only with a super aggressive trend line, which is dumb. Like, obviously dumb.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

I mean, sure, okay? Whatever. You're a mess, and your sister is the smart one in the family, because she was a Nader voter in Florida in 2000. And she knows she fucked up.

OMG

This Bernie supporter says she is refusing to vote Hillary to "punish" the DNC and if Trump wins that's fine, because the DNC will be PUNISHED!

These people are a mess.

"mess" is a little too kind. They are fucking garbage.

Boke1879

OMG

These people are a mess.

These people were better off saying this shit on Reddit. Now they are publicly making themselves look like lunatics. Media needs to stop acting like these are the majority of Bernie of his supports. But they just want a story

And then Bernie announces he's taking Stein's place on the Green Party ticket!

Right?

Right?

That's what's happening right? That's usually what happens? I wouldn't know, I've never followed politics before. I didn't even know what an electrical college was!

I thought it couldn't happen, but then I saw a 270towin.com map that showed it happening.

This has to be the worst I've ever seen reddit. You can't even say anything at all on r/politics without being mass downvoted by Donald brigades who are just trolling and downvoting everything and anything. Which isn't allowed, but the mods of politics are lost in space or something.

Anyone fuckin hate the Trump Medicare ad in mobile neogaf at the end of every thread?

I've been getting this weird ad for some dude who wants me to join him in a prayer session to be held before the RNC and DNC. I'm pretty sure whatever it was passed already, still getting ads.

I get Donald ads all the time too.

But I'd argue it's HIGHLY inaccurate in actually answering this question.

Once again, 9 of 10 polls show Hillary up in Pa by around 5.

Silver's NOW-CAST has Trump up 1.

It is stupid.

I mean, a model that shows who would win today would basically just take into account the polls of the last 2 weeks or something and nothing else. His Now CAST is the same as the other models only with a super aggressive trend line, which is dumb. Like, obviously dumb.

I'm not necessarily defending it as a good model of what the election would look like if it happened today, or defending it at all really. Honestly I don't find the question of who would win the election if it were held today all that interesting because, well, the election isn't being held today. It's especially uninteresting to me during a time when the polls are known to be extra volatile.

I've been getting this weird ad for some dude who wants me to join him in a prayer session to be held before the RNC and DNC. I'm pretty sure whatever it was passed already, still getting ads.

I get Donald ads all the time too.
This smug ass picture of Trump with his thumbs up gesture. Omg pls let it stop.

"mess" is a little too kind. They are fucking garbage.

She actually said she didn't care if Trump wins. She's voting for Jill Stein, and her sister was giving her side eye the entire time.

These people were better off saying this shit on Reddit. Now they are publicly making themselves look like lunatics. Media needs to stop acting like these are the majority of Bernie of his supports. But they just want a story

I'm actually okay with it because, anecdotally, it's pissing off the few people I know who were Bernie Sanders supporters. They're finally, finally willing to entertain the idea that some (some not all) of Bernie's supporters were off the deep end.

ANd there's confusion about who will freaking nominate Bernie. This shit should have been settled a while ago!

I'm not necessarily defending it as a good model of what the election would look like if it happened today, or defending it at all really. Honestly I don't find the question of who would win the election if it were held today all that interesting because, well, the election isn't being held today. It's especially uninteresting to me during a time when the polls are known to be extra volatile.

Sure, I agree with you on this. It isn't interesting.

But if you're going to do it, at least make a model that seems to be accurate. The current one is just punditry hidden by numbers.

thcsquad

Does he have loans from Russian banks though, and if so, did he use them to finance his campaign? It would be irresponsible not to speculate.

The funniest thing about this is that he got famous in politics as a birther. The citizenship requirement, of course, being created to prevent undue influence by foreign countries. In modern times, with free trade, I think you can make an argument that merely having outstanding loans from foreign banks should be more of a disqualifier for the presidency than being born somewhere else.

It would certainly disqualify a lot of people who are totally fine and not in danger of undue influence. But I'm sure when they drafted the citizenship requirement, they knew the same was true for that. It can be justified because you really don't want to mess around with nefarious foreign influence on the executive branch.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 11m11 minutes ago
The invention of email has proven to be a very bad thing for Crooked Hillary in that it has proven her to be both incompetent and a liar!

This is actually funny! He totally didn't write it, but it's really funny.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 12m12 minutes ago
Bernie's exhausted, he just wants to shut down and go home to bed!
He probably wrote this one though.

The DNC must have been awesome yesterday, because the GOP is just rattling on about how weird the bathrooms are, why weren't there more flags, and why ISIS wasn't mentioned by name.

Instead of actually attacking anything that went wrong yesterday or finding fault in anything said...

Boke1879

The media desperately wants to push this disunity story even though anyone watching can see they are full of crap!

The desperately want this to be just like day one of the RNC or for there to be a Cruz moment. Anyone watching during prime time didn't see see it like that.

Our media is shit.

Kid Heart

The DNC must have been awesome yesterday, because the GOP is just rattling on about how weird the bathrooms are, why weren't there more flags, and why ISIS wasn't mentioned by name.

Instead of actually attacking anything that went wrong yesterday or finding fault in anything said...

I hate the flag obsession with the gop. Such an incredibly shallow way to show you care about the country.

But yeah, outside of the booing I'm definitely enjoying this convention way more them last week. It's nice to see a convention that's not a mess.

Sure, I agree with you on this. It isn't interesting.

But if you're going to do it, at least make a model that seems to be accurate. The current one is just punditry hidden by numbers.

The bolded there could be the motto for 538's worst content. Nate's 2% Trump nomination figure pulled out of his ass is the most obvious offender, but a bad 538 article is basically just punditry with a chart attached to it. For the record, I know they produce plenty of good content as well.

Another problem with the now-cast is that there's no way to truly evaluate it. I doubt it, but maybe it is picking up something in PA that the state level polls are missing. But how would you ever know? It's a "prediction" that can't be checked about a question of zero importance, rendering it pretty much worthless for anything other than generating clickbait headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom