• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Women. Yup.

Thursday night is going to be big. The convention center is going to be very dusty for many in attendance, and for many watching at home.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Women. Yup.

Thursday night is going to be big. The convention center is going to be very dusty for many in attendance, and for many watching at home.

I remember when Obama was nominated, I had this surreal feeling in the pit of my stomach. I felt like it couldn't possibly be real, like I was dreaming, convinced that at some point it would all come crashing down and McCain would win. I'm starting to get that same feeling in my gut these last few days.

Ophelion

To hear the story she was just yawning when they took the photo :lol

Oh, man, really? Haha, that's funny. I can actually see how that could be true. Covering her mouth to stifle a yawn. Damn. Just goes to show how easy it is to project whatever onto an issue or situation when lacking understanding or context.

http://gawker.com/alan-graysons-ex-wife-accuses-congressman-of-repeated-d-1784309697

Over the course of two decades, Politico reports, Representative Alan Grayson’s ex-wife Lolita Grayson went to police with accusations of domestic abuse at least four times—twice in Virginia and twice in Florida In one instance, according to a police report, he threatened to kill her.

The Graysons’ tumultuous 25-year marriage ended in an annulment last year following bitter and protracted divorce proceedings, during which Representative Grayson referred to his now-ex-wife as a “gold digger” and a “bigamist.” In 2014, he accused her of battering him after he was served with a temporary protective injunction for allegedly beating her.

In 1994, Lolita Grayson said the beatings were a “daily occurrence,” although years later she told police her husband had “hrit her in the past four or five times.” From Politico:

Grayson, an anti-corporate crusader who keeps tens of millions in off-shore accounts, was not in office for three of the four alleged incidents. In a statement issued through his lawyer, the Congressman denied his ex-wife’s allegations.

“Lolita is a disturbed woman. She has made one false allegation after another. Her own daughter refutes her,” his lawyer, Mark NeJame, told Politico. “There never has been a witness or any proof whatsoever of her claims. The claims have been so ridiculous that not one time has there even been enough probable cause to bring a charge or an arrest against Alan Grayson.”

Grayson is leaving the House of Representatives to run for Senate. Earlier this summer, he married the woman who is running to replace him, giving her his name.

https://twitter.com/patcaldwell/status/757986541700583425/video/1
@patcaldwell
Alan Grayson showed up at a Politico event in Philly...and then threatened to get a Politico reporter arrested

PLEASE LOSE PLEASE

Grayson:

- Against raising taxes on the rich
- Against Iran Deal (maybe he came out for it later idk)
- Keeps money in offshore accounts
- Beats his wife

Murphy:

- Was once a Republican

I mean the choice here is clear, right? Grayson is the true liberal!

It's all his secret plot to become the Democratic nominee! Don't you know in 1932 FDR endorsed his opponent before the convention? And besides, we can always vote for Jill Stein, right? Bernie blinked morse code at me saying we should.

Man, ya'll are posting a lot today. Took me a while to read all your posts.

So, Vermont wants to go last and do it by acclimation with Bernie? I'm good with that! Gives everyone a chance to vote and whatever. Sure.

Also, fix the sound and revoke California's credentials k thnx bai.

Grayson:

- Beats his wife

Murphy:

- Was once a Republican

When is the primary? Late August, right?

Grayson:

- Beats his wife

Murphy:

- Was once a Republican

It's all his secret plot to become the Democratic nominee! Don't you know in 1932 FDR endorsed his opponent before the convention? And besides, we can always vote for Jill Stein, right? Bernie blinked morse code at me saying we should.

Murphy is an empty suite but that's better than a crazy person.

JP_

Banned
I agree with this and would add one more dimension to it. People focus too much on the Presidency. If you want a true grassroots movement, it has to start with local and state government and work it's way up. If you have new ideas that are outside of the mainstream, you can't expect to just skip all of the steps and leap frog to the highest office. 3rd parties can have an important place in American politics, just not at the Presidential level.

Yeah definitely. Probably make for a good companion post, going into more details and really explaining how local politics can have big impacts on daily lives. For now I usually just link them to that samantha b vid.

I'm not sure why that's necessary or even why there would be one. Russia trying to throw the election to Trump is a story all by itself.
It wont be a story, like at all. It will be filed under bad foreign state actors espionage folder. We need a political connection in order to make it a story. There has to be a communication between Trump campaign and Russia to make this story the nuclear bomb it needs to be. We all know they did it. It was absolutely made clear after that staffer told us that her account got hacked as soon as she started digging into Manafort.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
CoQ1_szVMAAyGMN.jpg:large
Oh, here is the source:
https://twitter.com/thenib/status/757790230350929921

Between the DNC handing out nicely made Bernie signs and letting him have one last huge rally to end all rallies, and now Bernie personally giving the final delegate total to Hillary, personally, this all came together rather nicely. I thought Bernie's send off last night was really sweet, and they let him have his moment in the spotlight, for old time's sake.

Some kids from California are going to ruin it

Gruco

Banned
So I learned in 2004 not to get carried away with wishful thinking, but there are a few big things that are going give me a lot of comfort no matter what:

1) Ground game. Trump is ignoring it, while Hills already got the chance to show hers off a bit in the primaries (see:VA, NC, FL, OH, PA). We saw this work in 2012, and it won't be anywhere close this time. The turnout machine, plus the current state of the electoral college....

2) Rally power. Trump and Pence have a pitiful lack of surrogates and no allies. Democrats can offer dynamic pairing with Hills, Barack, Bill, Joe, Bernie, and Tim. Get people's attention and allows good matching between messengers and battlegrounds.

3) Demographics. I worry this approaches unskewing if one goes too far with it, but nonetheless. Trump's weaknesses with women, grads, and Hispanics are baked in. It's really hard to picture any plausible white men turnout that beats that.

4) Likely voter screens. Probably because of Trump losing grads, but the way these are favoring Hillary is pretty amazing.

I mean, I hate the fact that Trump is polling over 30%. And I don't want to unskew. But...we seriously have this shit. Day one and we already have 3 speakers who got the party more hyped than anyone at the RNC.

Prediction: Next week the GOP will be in full panic mode. Every man starts to run from Trump. Public flirting with Johnson endorsements.

Lolmussen (yes I'm calling them lolmussen since 2008) has Trump winning Nevada by 5 points and has Obama approval underwater nationally by 7 points. So much GOP ass tonguing going on it's not even a secret. And of course Fox News spends hours looking at them.

Diablos

So uh I don't have time to comb through this thread... what's the latest on the rowdy delegates? Does the DNC have a plan in place to not have a repeat of last night? This can't keep getting fucked up. Get some alt delegates. Or, as much as I love Cali, move them wayyyyyy back.

400k more than RNC is nice but I want more. We can only go up from here.

So I learned in 2004 not to get carried away with wishful thinking, but there are a few big things that are going give me a lot of comfort no matter what:

1) Ground game. Trump is ignoring it, while Hills already got the chance to show hers off a bit in the primaries (see:VA, NC, FL, OH, PA). We saw this work in 2012, and it won't be anywhere close this time. The turnout machine, plus the current state of the electoral college....

2) Rally power. Trump and Pence have a pitiful lack of surrogates and no allies. Democrats can offer dynamic pairing with Hills, Barack, Bill, Joe, Bernie, and Tim. Get people's attention and allows good matching between messengers and battlegrounds.

3) Demographics. I worry this approaches unskewing if one goes too far with it, but nonetheless. Trump's weaknesses with women, grads, and Hispanics are baked in. It's really hard to picture any plausible white men turnout that beats that.

4) Likely voter screens. Probably because of Trump losing grads, but the way these are favoring Hillary is pretty amazing.

I mean, I hate the fact that Trump is polling over 30%. And I don't want to unskew. But...we seriously have this shit. Day one and we already have 3 speakers who got the party more hyped than anyone at the RNC.

Prediction: Next week the GOP will be in full panic mode. Every man starts to run from Trump. Public flirting with Johnson endorsements.

I wish I could be confident but I feel like the fate of the entire world rests on a handful of unruly Bernie people at this convention to not make a scene.

Yea, no need for the DNC to get involved. Leave it to voters and other candidates to marginalize that kind of nutter.

I disagree, but I understand where you are coming from. I would have held the RNC in low(er) esteem if they would have declined to comment on Duke and I think that the media and public would have as well.

I think there is a grey area between the moral imperatives of a political party acting impartially and the moral imperatives of that party taking a stand on its beliefs. Sometimes those things are going to grind against each other.

I really do appreciate you indulging me in answering my extreme hypothetical.

So uh I don't have time to comb through this thread... what's the latest on the rowdy delegates? Does the DNC have a plan in place to not have a repeat of last night? This can't keep getting fucked up. Get some alt delegates. Or, as much as I love Cali, move them wayyyyyy back.

Bernie had a stern talking to the Californians with big mouths this morning over breakfast.

They might throw a little hissy fit at roll call, but after that, they probably won't even stick around the convention.

Bernie had a stern talking to the Californians with big mouths this morning over breakfast.

They might throw a little hissy fit at roll call, but after that, they probably won't even stick around the convention.

If they're not replaced prior to today, they will be once she has the nomination. That's just the way it works.

ALSO WEINER SIGHTING.

I read this earlier this morning from a guy who is a VP of programming and research at Fox Sports, so I guess take it with a grain of salt, but it includes the three broadcast networks and the three cable news networks:

"18.8 overnight rating across six networks for night 1 of the DNC. 15% higher than RNC night 1 (16.3)".

He also said the 10 biggest markets for the DNC night 1 were

Top 10 markets for DNC night 1:
Chicago
New York
Richmond
Knoxville
West Palm
Philadelphia
Washington
Ft. Myers
Raleigh
San Diego
Hartford

I read this earlier this morning from a guy who is a VP of programming and research at Fox Sports, so I guess take it with a grain of salt, but it includes the three broadcast networks and the three cable news networks:

"18.8 overnight rating across six networks for night 1 of the DNC. 15% higher than RNC night 1 (16.3)".

Chicago
New York
Richmond
Knoxville
West Palm
Philadelphia
Washington
Ft. Myers
Raleigh
San Diego
Hartford
GOOD!

Chicago
New York
Richmond
Knoxville
West Palm
Philadelphia
Washington
Ft. Myers
Raleigh
San Diego
Hartford

Looks like CT is going Republican this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom