• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'all set your expectations low for tomorrow night okay.

You'll get a 6/10 speech which is really 9/10 because my girl is not a speaker, okay? Not her thing.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
wIxlAzd.png
Ayyyy.

Tangential: is bandwagoning as much of a phenomenon in politics as it is in sports?

Sianos

I said it in the OT thread and I'll expand it here:

Dems are playing chess, knowing that the opponent will try and take the queen.

GOP is playing checkers, not realizing their game has long been solved.

Trump is playing Uno, thinking the objective is to draw the most cards.

Perfect analogy.

I thought Michelle's was historic. I though Bill's was a masterpiece. Obama just relived the best speech I've ever heard in my life.

I want to go vote, right now.

Kid Heart

Y'all set your expectations low for tomorrow night okay.

You'll get a 6/10 speech which is really 9/10 because my girl is not a speaker, okay? Not her thing.

Don't worry, all she has to do is speak some of her sweet policy to me, and I'll be a happy camper.

Gruco

Banned
I want to write some kind of long winded rant about love and respect for Barack Obama, but I don't think I can even manage it at the moment.

I am so insanely proud to be a part of this party right now. Happy for the president I fought for 8 years ago, the legacy, and the successor. Even proud of Bernie for stepping into the role I was hoping he'd find eventually.

I knew this convention would be something else. The lineup would be stellar. The stakes have never been higher.

Top to bottom, I underestimated everyone. Michelle, Bernie, Bill, Joe, Barack. Even Tim Kaine and Cory Booker.

With Trump representing so much profound ugliness, and with the divisive primary, I don't think I fully appreciated how much I needed to hear and experience something so positive.

I seriously can't wait to give another $100 to Hills, and ultimately see her become president.

Barack. You are a fucking legend.

TheFatOne

I felt so happy for Hilary when she came out at the end. You could see how much it meant to her. Same for Bill. They kept cutting to him at key moment of the speech, and you could see him crying and laughing. Just a great great night tonight. Still can't get over that speech.

Anderson Cooper is destroying Lord, now.

Lord is such a horrible surrogate.

Axelrod: "I'll take Jeffry off the hook here and change the subject"

LMAO

Holmes

Important point from Twitter: a huge number of speeches today were explicitly about "if you are a Republican it's okay to vote for Hillary." Obama, Biden, Bloomberg, Kaine all hit this idea that even for Republicans Trump is unacceptable.

This helps bring over GOP voters, but it also says pretty clearly: if you're a GOP politician, it's not too late to repudiate Donald Trump.

Soon it will be.
I've noticed this too. Not only for Hillary but I think they're trying to make a play at the House too.

Iolo

Whew... That was probably the best speech I've ever heard Obama give. I'm just gobsmacked. I think I'm still high from it.

Ayyyy.

Tangential: is bandwagoning as much of a phenomenon in politics as it is in sports?

It is a thing in politics and it is why I don't really buy into "close polling is good because it avoids complacency". I mean, it does, but an approaching blowout discourages the *losing* side more than the winning side. People are less likely to go out and vote for a sure loser than a sure winner.

Iolo

Did anybody notice that virtually every speaker has said the phrase "Hillary understands"? It's understated but it seems to be dropped in once per speech.

Slacker

Jeffrey Lord is the embodiment of every "other side" expert on TV News. Every time a news program had an expert on to talk about matters of objective fact, like sleep is good for you, they have to roll out some idiot to argue the contrary in order to be "balanced," despite having nothing whatsoever to add to the conversation.

Erick Erickson is melting down on Twitter:

@EWErickson:
I started the evening saying for the first time I thought Trump could win. Then Obama spoke. I’m so angry at my own party right now.

The GOP offered a vision of doom, despair, and division. Tonight the President I think divides us offered optimism. I hate this year.

The Dems have now spent more time in prime time making the case for Hillary than the GOP did for Trump. They went mostly “not Hillary”.

Text just now from a senior House Republican who gave me permission to tweet this: “We were supposed to make that sort of speech."

Obviously Obama's speech was brilliant and I cannot say anything even remotely worthy of it....

So I want to talk about my new Adorkable Friend Tim Kaine!

I know this is genuinely his personality, but casting himself as this Oh shucks dad type is perfect. It makes him memorable. Tell me something about Pence. Anything he said. Anything he did on that stage. You can't. Because there was absolutely nothing.

With Kaine's speech we get a sense of who he is. He made fun of himself. He made fun of Trump. He shared his story. And it was exactly what he needed to be.

He was a man grown in a dish somewhere meant to be VP.

Jeffrey Lord is the embodiment of every "other side" expert on TV News. Every time a news program had an expert on to talk about matters of objective fact, like sleep is good for you, they have to roll out some idiot to argue the contrary in order to be "balanced," despite having nothing whatsoever to add to the conversation.

To be fair, he's clearly become self aware about it, unlike whats-her-name and that guy who used to work as SC's Lt Govenor.

Splendor

Obama has defined politics for much of my adult life, and his eternal tenacity in the face of adversity inspires myself and people like me. Thank you Mr. President.

Now lets get a Madame President with a congress ready to support her!

Sibylus

Banned
Obama has defined politics for much of my adult life, and his eternal tenacity in the face of adversity inspires myself and people like me. Thank you Mr. President.

Now lets get a Madame President with a congress ready to support her!

I was 18 when he entered office. I'll be 26 when he leaves. Certainly left a bigger and better mark than the president I grew up with (Dubya).

Slacker

Erick Erickson is melting down on Twitter:

@EWErickson: Text just now from a senior House Republican who gave me permission to tweet this: “We were supposed to make that sort of speech."

On what planet does that House Republican live on that makes him think Trump is capable of a speech like that? Or does he mean from George W Bush? Cause he wasn't available for some strange reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom