• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

That doesn't help if someone breaks into the endpoint or a client machine, compromises it and captures your credentials. The system is weak at the point where you decrypt the data. In the case of the Clinton campaign hack, it appears they got access to the DNC voter analytics data, possibly the famous system a couple of Sanders IT team gained access to. If they had stolen database credentials, they could have exfiltrated the data regardless of whether it was encrypted at rest.

Using a proprietary operating system would make that intrusion more difficult, correct?

thcsquad

Didn't realize he had a law degree, but I guess that's not exactly uncommon in politics.

54 tho. Too old for SCOTUS we need someone in their 40s :p

Run for Congress in 2018? If Ben Cardin doesn't run for re-election in 2018, there will be a Maryland Senate seat open (what I understand to be Perez' home state). No idea about the House.

edit: Or kick out Larry Hogan.

Iolo

Using a proprietary operating system would make that intrusion more difficult, correct?

I think you mean non-proprietary. It might help to use something other than Windows, every bit helps, but open source software has its share of security vulnerabilities too. And no software can prevent a social engineering attack (phishing, impersonation). We are making progress, but it's not as simple as "don't use Windows", especially versus a determined state actor.

Holmes

Didn't Trump harp on Clinton about the Cosby rape allegations because she was in some pictures with him, but here he is defending Ailes and calling him a good friend?

Re: Russia

I try to not be conspiracy theorist but there is something with the new DCCC hacks and that the old hacks also went into Clinton's campaign analytics. This two targets are seemingly the weakest parts of Trumps campaign. He is sorely behind on the money front but we have Wikileaks and Russia going after donor lists and releasing donor personal info. Like this was an attempt to dissuade people from donating to her campaign and Dems in general, seems oddly convenient no? Then we just learned they got into the voter analytics of the Clinton campaign, somewhere where the GOP says he doesn't have. Again this seems oddly specific to go after being a gig weakness of Trump's campaign. Pair that with the timing supposed to be to negatively effect the DNC before convention and it the whole thing seems very coordinated precisely to help with Trumps weaknesses.
We kinda know that the system was hacked, but is it proven that the data was stolen? I can do a data dump from a "DNC_Analytics_DW" database, but that requires a level of serious reverse engineering including the ETL and de-aggregation. I don't want to sound smart or anything, but from my understanding raw data is useless. You need information.

Now what would truly suck is if DNC kept a nice unprotected excel spreadsheet titled "GOTV_Magic_Formula.xlsx" somewhere (or inside the database itself) and if that was taken away. That would be truly truly awful beyond words.

Edit: I work in Business Intelligence/Data Analytics

Vestal

The richest and most powerful country in the world, the government still uses Windows.

How are we not using some forked build of Linux focused on privacy and encryption? How are all emails and messages not using ete encryption?

news flash. most big companies rely on a mix of both Windows and Linux. Exchange is still the default mail server and using anything else is just asking for complications.

A system is as hardened as the security experts that manage it. Windows servers can be as restrictive and secure as any other OS, it's all a matter of setup.

Farmboy

A consistent 4 or 5 point gap with Clinton at or above 50%, that's what I'd like to see in these next weeks.

Should be doable. Anything less is a disappointment, anything more is pure, unadulterated Hopium.

Didn't Trump harp on Clinton about the Cosby rape allegations because she was in some pictures with him, but here he is defending Ailes and calling him a good friend?
He's a hypocrite. This is the man who blames Hillary for her vote for the Iraq war but says Pence's vote for the Iraq war is okay to forgive, because he is allowed to make mistakes.

Grief.exe

Maybe from a "navigating the UI" perspective, but other than that, not really. All the tech in the world isn't gonna protect you from a stolen or guessed password.

I think you mean non-proprietary. It might help to use something other than Windows, every bit helps, but open source software has its share of security vulnerabilities too. And no software can prevent a social engineering attack (phishing, impersonation). We are making progress, but it's not as simple as "don't use Windows", especially versus a determined state actor.

l was referring to proprietary as us government designed for a specific purpose.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like humans will always be the weak link.

A consistent 4 or 5 point gap with Clinton at or above 50%, that's what I'd like to see in these next weeks.

Should be doable. Anything less is a disappointment, anything more is pure, unadulterated Hopium.

Don't be surprised if no one gets over 50 in many states. Johnson and Stein will pull too many people. Clinton's best bet is to get numbers in the high 40s while Trump continues to stay below his ceiling.

I wouldn't be surprised if Clinton settles into the coveted 6-8 point lead (which would probably give her Obama's 2012 map + North Carolina and one other surprise) but the main thing I'm hoping for like has been said is that she goes over 50 in national polling. That would give me a lot more comfort in this election.

Klocker

I knew Trump couldn't let one go. I just knew it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-father-fallen-soldier-ive-made-lot/story?id=41015051

You go after Mr. and Mrs. Khan, you go after me.

Pressed by Stephanopoulos to name the sacrifices he’d made for his country, Trump said: “I think I've made a lot of sacrifices. I work very, very hard. I've created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs, built great structures. I've had tremendous success. I think I've done a lot.”

Good god the moron doesn't even understand what the word sacrifice means, let alone within the context of Mr Kahn's words... he is a repugnant human being

Don't be surprised if no one gets over 50 in many states. Johnson and Stein will pull too many people. Clinton's best bet is to get numbers in the high 40s while Trump continues to stay below his ceiling.

Johnson and Stein will almost certainly pull less than they are currently polling, and I'd expect Stein to be hit harder by it than Johnson, because she holds up to scrutiny *much* worse. Right now a lot of people are just 'yeah I want someone other than these two' but they haven't really taken a close look at how good that alternative is.

Stein's experience is awful awful awful. Johnson's experience isn't too bad at all.

Teggy

Maybe the media is trying to let him hang himself with his own words, but I can't deal with the way they let him talk. Why not follow that up with, "why do you consider that to be a sacrifice?" They also let him repeat the line about the US being one of the highest taxed countries in the world, which is flat wrong.

Nafai1123

Banned
Johnson and Stein will almost certainly pull less than they are currently polling, and I'd expect Stein to be hit harder by it than Johnson, because she holds up to scrutiny *much* worse. Right now a lot of people are just 'yeah I want someone other than these two' but they haven't really taken a close look at how good that alternative is.

Stein's experience is awful awful awful. Johnson's experience isn't too bad at all.
Its funny because the Stein supporters I usually see are the very obnoxious "I don't want to vote against someone, I want to vote for them" types who reject the lesser of two evils.

Then they vote for someone with literally no experience who panders to lunatics and is basically a professional troll.

Yeah you sure are an enlightened snowflake, I'm sure your vote isn't just anti-Hillary or anything.

If we had instant runoff voting in this country I would probably go Clinton - Johnson... And probably leave the third spot blank. Sorry Jill you ain't getting shit.

Bowdz

Fuck you Donald Trump you narcissistic, unpatriotic piece of shit. I sincerely hope that he loses his fraud case and gets humiliated to hell and back after he loses.

Its funny because the Stein supporters I usually see are the very obnoxious "I don't want to vote against someone, I want to vote for them" types who reject the lesser of two evils.

Then they vote for someone with literally no experience who panders to lunatics and is basically a professional troll.

Yeah you sure are an enlightened snowflake, I'm sure your vote isn't just anti-Hillary or anything.

If we had instant runoff voting in this country I would probably go Clinton - Johnson... And probably leave the third spot blank. Sorry Jill you ain't getting shit.

Yeah. Johnson is an easy (though distant) second choice for me.

I hope that 16 point lead isn't a complete fluke. I want to see what happens to Trump when he is consistently getting crushed in polls. I want his downfall to be slow and painful. I want the party to start throwing him under the bus entirely. He really truly deserves it.

Bowdz

I will forever lose any shred of respect I have for Ryan if he doesn't come out and repudiate this statement. He's essentially calling Khan a liar when he claims the Clinton crew wrote Khan's speech despite Khan's speech being entirely off teleprompter.

I will forever lose any shred of respect I have for Ryan if he doesn't come out and repudiate this statement. He's essentially calling Khan a liar when he claims the Clinton crew wrote Khan's speech despite Khan's speech being entirely off teleprompter.

Paul Ryan is a loser, don't expect anything from him ever.

Jesus, what a piece of shit.

It's amazing how big of a piece of shit Trump is.
One of those you look at and go, "how does that even happen?" before you flush it down the toilet, never to see again.

I started watching the video and had to turn it off when he immediately started talking about the wife and how she probably "wasn't allowed to speak". Trump is such shit stain of a human being.

My exact reaction. What a piece of shit.

Klocker

This man is truly the worst of America. Just think of the worst quality in a person you can think of and this guy flaunts it.

What concerns me more is how many people actually don't recognize nor care about his utter lack of character as a human being and yet will attack Hillary who with all her faults is at the very least has compassion and sense of self and others.

People wiling to vote for this guy as if a lack of character and compassion is a virtue saddens me for the hope of the human race if not at least our country.

I am thinking daily that it's only 30% of the country who are that uncaring about other people and that they will never gain power to hurt others but every time I hear this guy speak and people wanting to actually vote for this piece of shit I shake my head.,

Edit: it is quite possible to be a strong leader and not let people take advantage of you and exercise strength and resolve and stand up to assholes in the world without being an uncaring dick or blowhard. Unfortunately some people are not capable of understanding that

Diablos

We underestimated third party candidates this year. Not sure if it was because everyone was concerned about Bernie or what but geez Johnson especially flew in under the radar, he's getting too much support.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
We underestimated third party candidates this year. Not sure if it was because everyone was concerned about Bernie or what but geez Johnson especially flew in under the radar, he's getting too much support.

Not really, it's a function of the low favorability rating of both candidates. Of which I see Clinton's to be towards the floor, and Trump's to be near the ceiling.

Geg

Most of the Johnson/Stein support will probably be in states that don't matter like California/Oregon/Washington anyway. Wait and see what their support is in the swing states first

Not sure why people are surprised at Trump's comments - he was never going to be humble, gracious and grateful for anyone.

He is the absolute worst of America.

I'm pretty sure most of Johnson's increase in support are from Republicans who cannot vote for Trump or Hillary. The Busters that refuse to back Clinton seem to be going to Stein or Trump, I refuse to call them Bernie or Busters anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom