• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubie

What do you do when you discover an old friend is a hardcore Trumper now?

She was trying to convince me him being racist is all made up by the media and that the real corrupt racist is Hillary. I felt like there was no point in trying to argue that insanity.

:(

All my DNC hopium was drained after that.

What do you do when you discover an old friend is a hardcore Trumper now?

She was trying to convince me him being racist is all made up by the media and that the real corrupt racist is Hillary. I felt like there was no point in trying to argue that insanity.

:(

All my DNC hopium was drained after that.

Yeah, a lot of marriages and friendships are going to end because of this election.

Vahagn

Gary Johnson has said "yeah, I support abortion and do not support right to refusing gay people." and he has got movement conservatives so mad.

The fucking stupid idea of tying Ayn Rand's Satanist ideals to fundamentalist Christianity causes movement conservatives to just be dumb all the time. Ayn Rand would be sooooo hated by all Republicans if she was alive today.

Seriously though, Ayn Rand is the basis of Satanism. Her philosophy was more anti-Christian than any other philosophy Satanists had ever seen so they took her ideas and added spooky shit to them to make a fake religion.

I know the marriage of libertarians and religious conservatives in reality was basically religious conservatives trading tax cuts for laws that discriminated against LGBT people and women, but movement conservatives that pretend to be intellectual got the stupid idea that these ideas weren't directly contradictory.

Bingo. I've been saying this for years. The Republican Party is in this weird place where they both want to be the party of Lincoln as well as the party of confederate flag waving southerners. That's like being the party of Churchill's England and Hitler's Germany all at once. It's asinine.

Dems realized this in the 60's. You can't be the party of liberals in Hollywood, NY and Chicago while being the party of segregationists in Alabama and Georgia.

Libertarianism and Social Conservatism are fundamentally contradictory ideas. They can't work together. It's impossible. And so you have so called libertarians supporting federal bans on abortion, government employees killing American citizens in the streets, and voter suppression laws, mandatory prayer in schools, amidst a litany of other racist/sexist/bigoted big government ideas while social conservatives support owning military style assault rifles and the elimination of programs that help the poor and the sick. It's just one big nonsensical clusterfuck.

Farmboy

What's this Bill Clinton-Police Academy thing going on twitter?

Wow the crowd in Denver booed a 4-star general? This is insane.

Both Bill and Chelsea referenced it in their speeches: the Big Dog loves him some Police Academy.

No guesses as to his favorite scene.

hqdefault.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
MSNBC saying Clinton camp worried about PA? Come onnnnnnnnnnnn
Andrea Mitchell said yesterday that the party does not believe the polling that has them up big. It's okay. We want her to spend more time there anyway. :)

She should just camp out in pa and VA

thefro

Andrea Mitchell said yesterday that the party does not believe the polling that has them up big. It's okay. We want her to spend more time there anyway. :)

Ed Rendell's said that "OMG the Dems are going to lose PA!" every four years since 1992 it seems

Y2Kev

So watching Cornell West last night, he's obviously an obnoxious fathead, but he's at least half right. Activism is important. I don't think the Civil Rights Era is the Civil Rights Era without activism (I don't know if you have to go to jaill...). But at the same time, Barney is also right. You have to get into politics to bring about change. And in that sense they should just agree that each other is right. The Tea Party was effective because they got people elected.

Jill Stein will never be anything. Her movement will never be anything. Bernie finally got hip to the downticket thing, probably too late, but he's right.

TS-08

Zereta

can john kasich come out and endorse hillary clinton for president please.

This seems like a move that *could* happen? Or if Ted goes full nuclear.

Mr and Mrs. Khan's interview with MSNBC reaching out to Mitch and Paul Ryan to denounce Trump was powerful though. I wonder if that particular speech might affect the Republican Party in any way.

Republicans who are really libertarians accepted an alliance with religious conservatives as a matter of expediency. Once Bush hurt the conservative brand so badly, many many more conservatives started calling themselves libertarians even though they weren't. That's wearing off over time.

Side effect: libertarian is now associated with conservatives. When I was a kid, it was more associated with liberals.

Diablos

They are wasting time in PA. They need to be in FL, OH, IA, etc

Went deep into enemy territory last night on accident. Went out to meet some coworkers at a bar but they decided to head back to one of their houses to do a cookout. Turns out the coworker and his housemate were diehard Trump fans. They literally had a life size Donald cardboard cutout looking out their front window, his housemate was wearing a "Build That Wall" shirt, they had random Trump stuff strewn all over the place, and Fox News was on two different TVs.

I managed to avoid any political conversation until right before I left. A guy was talking to me about guns of course and I was explaining how I had never felt the need for a gun for protection. That if someone breaks into my house to steal something they can have it as long as they don't harm me or family. I'm not about to kill someone over a $400 TV.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 17m17 minutes ago
We are suffering through the worst long-term unemployment in the last 70 years. I want change - Crooked Hillary Clinton does not.

(for those who don't want to do math 70 years ago was 1946)

Crisco

Banned
I think I'm totally voting GJ here in Utah, along with down ballot D of course. Hillary has no actual shot, but the embarrassment to Trump of being the first R to lose the state in decades would be amazing.

Zereta

Donald J. Drumpf ‏@realDonaldDrumpf 17m17 minutes ago
We are suffering through the worst long-term unemployment in the last 70 years. I want change - Crooked Hillary Clinton does not.

(for those who don't want to do math 70 years ago was 1946)

Donald Trump's shook from DNC, now he's attacking from history.

yo what.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Donald Trump's shook from DNC, now he's attacking from history.

yo what.

and that Hillary and the Dems have the debate set up so that it competes with NFL games

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 10h10 hours ago
As usual, Hillary & the Dems are trying to rig the debates so 2 are up against major NFL games. Same as last time w/ Bernie. Unacceptable!

it's gone with the winner for at least the last 10 elections: http://www.270towin.com/states/Ohio

Wow, quite a record.

Clinton has a path that doesn't go through OH, but Trump can't afford to lose the state.

and that Hillary and the Dems have the debate set up so that it competes with NFL games

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 10h10 hours ago
As usual, Hillary & the Dems are trying to rig the debates so 2 are up against major NFL games. Same as last time w/ Bernie. Unacceptable!

Date were set before either clinched the nomination. The asshole just lies by default.

This interactive NY Times listing of the people Donald Trump has insulted on Twitter is amazing: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...r-insults.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1

I can't stop.

"Dummy!"

"Golf swing. Not Athletic." (Samuel L. Jackson lol!)

On Rand Paul: "truly weird"

Just yesterday..

“I don’t think name calling has any place in public life,” Trump’s running mate told conservative talk radio host Hugh Hewitt on Friday. Asked about Democrats attack on Trump during this week’s Democratic National Convention, Pence complained that President Obama was wrong to call the GOP presidential nominee a “demagogue.”

“I thought that was unfortunate that the president of the United States would use a term like that, let alone laced into a sentence like that.”

What the fuck.

Republicans get this, which is why their far right wing has more clout in the party. For all the excoriation of Nader voters post-2000, there's been no left-wing third party candidacy as successful as Perot or Buchanan. The margin of victory in Florida was 500 votes; any number of things, most notably improved turnout could have swayed it one way or the other, but Perot really did sink Bush's bid for re-election, and the Republicans were much less nasty to his supporters than dems are to the Bernie or Busters.

This is a myth. Exit polls indicated that Perot drew equally from Bush and Clinton. Bush's approval ratings were hovering around 40 percent (basically Carter 1980 territory). Polls had Clinton with a large lead in a two-way race. Bush was doomed regardless of whether Perot was in the race, and the "Perot cost Bush the election" narrative was little more than an attempt to delegitimize Clinton's presidency.

I'm also not sure why you're bringing up Buchanan, who got less than half a percent of the vote in his third party run.

Y2Kev

This is a myth. Exit polls indicated that Perot drew equally from Bush and Clinton. Bush's approval ratings were hovering around 40 percent (basically Carter 1980 territory). Polls had Clinton with a large lead in a two-way race. Bush was doomed regardless of whether Perot was in the race, and the "Perot cost Bush the election" narrative was little more than an attempt to delegitimize Clinton's presidency.

I'm also not sure why you're bringing up Buchanan, who got less than half a percent of the vote in his third party run.

It's so later we can view the Jill stein insurgency as successful! :)

Holmes

I think I'm totally voting GJ here in Utah, along with down ballot D of course. Hillary has no actual shot, but the embarrassment to Trump of being the first R to lose the state in decades would be amazing.
Might as well vote Clinton, or do you think Johnson has a better chance of winning the state than Clinton?

CCS

Banned
They're probably crap pollsters, but Post-DNC Poll:

Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton has opened a significant lead over Republican nominee Donald Trump, now leading him by 15 points, according to a new online nationwide survey conducted on Friday, July 29th by RABA Research, a bipartisan polling firm.

Among likely voters, Clinton garners 46% support to Trump’s 31%. Libertarian Gary Johnson now captures 7% of the vote, while Jill Stein sits at 2%.

A RABA Research poll conducted the day after the Republican convention showed a tighter race, with Clinton at 39% and Trump at 34%. Johnson was at 8% in that survey, while Stein found 3% support.

“After closing the gap to single digits last week, Trump’s post-convention bounce has disappeared,” said RABA Research’s John Del Cecato, a Democratic partner with the firm. “While Trump continues to struggle to consolidate support within his own party, Clinton has a sizable lead among independents, and is even peeling off a small slice of Republican voters.”

When asked if the Democratic National Convention was a failure or success, 38% of respondents called the convention a success, while 23% dubbed it a failure. 38% of respondents said neither, or that they were not sure.

The online poll was paid for by RABA Research and not by any candidate, committee or outside group. The survey measured 956 voters and was conducted Friday, July 29, 2016. The results were weighted to ensure proportional response and the margin of error for the results is +/- 3.2%.

Crisco

Banned
Might as well vote Clinton, or do you think Johnson has a better chance of winning the state than Clinton?

Oh Hillary has no chance, D hate runs deep here, as well as all things federal government. But, they hate Trump almost as much, and GJ might just have a shot if enough conservatives endorse him.

Holmes

Oh Hillary has no chance, D hate runs deep here, as well as all things federal government. But, they hate Trump almost as much, and GJ might just have a shot if enough conservatives endorse him.
I see. I know Obama got 34% in 08 which I would assume is the ceiling, so a 34-33-33 win for Clinton would be very tight and unrealistic (although one for the history books, just like a Johnson win would be). Bill is down there campaigning soon so maybe if the Clinton's actually show interest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom