• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
I prefer to call them Electoral Unicorns.

They're everywhere at private universities and prep schools. Johnson really is the ultimate candidate for the millennial right, because he lets you have low taxes without the strain on your conscience from voting for a social conservative. He'll let you buy weed for free, and you can go to bed knowing that your money isn't being used to support those lazy poors and minorities.

hawk2025

Can somebody explain Johnson's popularity? If you naively think of libertarians as dissatisfied Republicans, that puts Trump up in a head to head race. I mean, why?

It's the Free Lunch candidate.

You get to have everything, all your freedoms, all your liberties, including low taxes, with no additional cost or tradeoff.

At the risk of sounding like I plagiarized, I'm citing this reply as well:

They're everywhere at private universities and prep schools. Johnson really is the ultimate candidate for the millennial right, because he lets you have low taxes without the strain on your conscience from voting for a social conservative. He'll let you buy weed for free, and you can go to bed knowing that your money isn't being used to support those lazy poors and minorities.

gaugebozo

To everyone who replied (thanks!):

The issue is still that adding Trump's numbers to Johnson's means there's like 55% conservative voters. I can't square this with previous elections and demographic trends. It seems like there's more voters, and they're voting conservative/libertarian.

Also, maybe it's weed.

jmood88

Can somebody explain Johnson's popularity? If you naively think of libertarians as dissatisfied Republicans, that puts Trump up in a head to head race. I mean, why?
Because a lot of young conservatives think it's cool to say that they're libertarians instead of republicans and the older conservatives who hate Trump need someone to support.

Johnson and Stein just over poll their numbers when they're included in polls because honestly it's probably the most exposure those candidates will ever get. When most voters are actually in the voting booth they'll just see those names and be like "Who the fuck are those people?" and vote Clinton/Trump like they were planning to.

Valhelm

contribute something
Lol. It wasn't an accident. Why is anybody entertaining the idea that copying the structure and exact phrasing of passages was accidental.

Some error had to be involved. Clearly somebody deliberately copied and pasted that paragraph of Michelle's speech, but nobody is stupid enough to think they wouldn't be caught citing a political opponent verbatim.

My money's on Jared Kushner or Eric Trump. They did the frat boy thing and copied a paragraph and planned to mix up the wording, but forgot to get around to that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Please USA don't elect Trump as president. There's no rocket to another planet, and I'm already in Canada.

itschris

New York Times: Hillary Clinton Is Said to Seek National Security Experience for Vice Presidential Pick

Facing a fall contest against a Republican opponent focused on law and order, Hillary Clinton has narrowed her search for a vice-presidential candidate, telling several potential running mates that she needs a No. 2 who would bring national security experience to the Democratic ticket.

Mrs. Clinton’s shortlist includes James G. Stavridis, a retired four-star Navy admiral who served as the 16th supreme allied commander at NATO, and Senator Tim Kaine, a former Virginia governor who serves on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

She is widely expected to present her choice for running mate at a rally in Miami on Saturday, according to people involved with the planning who could not discuss private conversations for attribution.

Asked about the vice-presidential speculation, Mr. Stavridis said in an email, “Stavridis is too long for a bumper sticker and too hard to pronounce — but clearly global security is a fundamental concern for our nation.”

But advisers say choosing a running mate who has never held elective office would be an unnecessary risk that Mrs. Clinton, a cautious candidate by nature, would be unlikely to take.

She is still considering several candidates who are considered safer choices, including Mr. Kaine; Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, a Pittsburgh-born former governor of Iowa; and Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio.

Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey and Labor Secretary Thomas E. Perez both have virtually no national security experience, but a black or Latino vice-presidential candidate could bring excitement to a campaign that has lacked it. Mrs. Clinton, whose advisers are still studying the findings of multiple focus groups, has not ruled Mr. Booker or Mr. Perez out, one of the people involved in the process said.

So, Saturday for the VP reveal?

New York Times: Hillary Clinton Is Said to Seek National Security Experience for Vice Presidential Pick[/url]

So, Saturday for the VP reveal?

I'm not opposed to Kaine as the VP but picking him for foreign policy experience is barmy. The VP is supposed to balance out the ticket and experience is one thing Clinton already has.

We're going to hear like 20 VP names between now and Friday/Saturday. Don't sweat it if your favorite one isn't in a random article.

An article today said it was down to Kaine and Vilsack. Then this one says its Kaine and the admiral. No one knows what Clinton is thinking but Clinton.

Drakeon

We're going to hear like 20 VP names between now and Friday/Saturday. Don't sweat it if your favorite one isn't in a random article.

An article today said it was down to Kaine and Vilsack. Then this one says its Kaine and the admiral. No one knows what Clinton is thinking but Clinton.

Yeah, it's likely similar to what Keeping it 1600 said with the Biden VP pick, where all of Obama's staff knew of 3 possible picks (Bayh, Kaine and Biden) and had prepared separate speeches for all 3 because only a handful of people knew the pick before it was announced.

Diablos

I can't wait for the DNC.

Sippy Cup says Dems are putting too much into convention sloppiness meaning poor Trump leadership. She may have a point but Melania's speech was such a train wreck.

tbm24

He claims that his grandfather was exiled by Trujillo but it seems the truth is he worked for him.
Typically he'd only get rid of you if you worked for him or actively opposed him. Otherwise your body would end up in a field somewhere in a ditch.

Dierce

That makes no sense. Clinton was the secretary of state, why would she be looking for someone with national security experience? She needs someone who will counter orange turd and mobilize progressives and not give into republican deception on how she would be bad for national security.

fauxtrot

Banned
I'm not opposed to Kaine as the VP but picking him for foreign policy experience is barmy. The VP is supposed to balance out the ticket and experience is one thing Clinton already has.

One of the biggest problems a bunch of my more liberal friends have with Clinton is her hawkishness, so I worry that choosing someone whose "claim to fame" has mainly to do with foreign policy / the military will only freak them out further. Even with Stavridis, I doubt they'd look into him enough to see he is pretty anti-conflict before turning their noses up.

I'm still holding out hope for Warren, Perez, or my black horse pick: Al Franken.

I'm surprised at a lack of Mark Warner and Kirsten Gillibrand mentions.

If something this father did is used as an attack they're going to further hurt themselves with the Latino vote. And your going to use that when you have managed running your campaign.

It's sins of the father.

I'm still on team Perez.

And the WSJ story seems really ignorant of the reality of living under a dictator like Trujillo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom