• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I sound shallow for dumping on a guy's name, but politics is a shallow business when the electorate is involved. A guy named Vilsack (fucking VIL
E
SACK
) would project an awful image. You can't just be good, you gotta look good too. It's why Castro wouldn't work. That last name is poisoned, and his face is more than a little creepy.

We resoundingly elected a man with Hussein in his name.

jiggle

I know I sound shallow for dumping on a guy's name, but politics is a shallow business when the electorate is involved. A guy named Vilsack (fucking VIL
E
SACK
) would project an awful image. You can't just be good, you gotta look good too. It's why Castro wouldn't work. That last name is poisoned, and his face is more than a little creepy.

Same can't be said for this man:

Official_portrait_of_United_States_Secretary_of_Labor_Tom_Perez.jpg

Say it with me everybody:

"Perez".
i mean
if that's ur criteria
then might as well pick
martin_omalley.jpg

images
images
images
images
images
images

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kaine would be so disappointing just because he's been the pick for months. It's like be a little interesting.
For the record wapo knows 0

I still like 538 for their occasional pretty great analysis, but 538 realizes they need to get the clicks now because their site is going to be wasteland after Nov

Ecotic

Who would do better at helping win their home state? Kaine for Virginia or Vilsack for Iowa? Virginia has more electoral votes so Kaine has that going for him.

Does anyone know what aspects of 538's model account for them giving Trump a higher win probability than Wang's or The Upshot's?

I don't just mean that "Sam Wang's model gives Clinton better numbers," but what are the differences in the statistical models is leading them to produce such divergent results?

538's model has a probability distribution that gives higher probability to extreme outcomes (like Hillary winning >500 EVs) and many Trump victories would have to be an extreme change from the polls.

538's just seems to not assume hyperpolarization I guess?

Y2Kev

Does anyone know what aspects of 538's model account for them giving Trump a higher win probability than Wang's or The Upshot's?

I don't just mean that "Sam Wang's model gives Clinton better numbers," but what are the differences in the statistical models is leading them to produce such divergent results?

Read the upshot's explanation. They explain exactly why.

And sam's methodology is entirely different. You have to read his piece on meta margin.

Who would do better at helping win their home state? Kaine for Virginia or Vilsack for Iowa? Virginia has more electoral votes so Kaine has that going for him.

All the evidence says that VP candidates have very minimal impact on voters. Clinton worked with Vilsack in Obama's cabinet and Kaine in the senate. She wants someone she's comfortable with. That's it really.

Effect

I know people have their prefernce but are either of those choices horrible? An OMG no pick? Something that could hurt her? Or is it just a case of them not bringing excitement? Bad at debates? Or aren't good on the stump? Look bad when the cameras are on them? Etc?

Also trying not to listen tonight. I felt physically sick to my stomach last night the little I did manage to watch and rather not do that again. Figure I'll try to play some games or watch a few movies and see what the fallout is if I'm awake.

Y2Kev

All the evidence says that VP candidates have very minimal impact on voters. Clinton worked with Vilsack in Obama's cabinet and Kaine in the senate. She wants someone she's comfortable with. That's it really.
Hillary Clinton is a loser and I'm now on the giant meteor hitting earth train. Ff7 was a great game.

Tarkus

How do Trump's kids speak so well and are so articulate, yet their dad sounds like such an idiot?
It's obvious he wasn't involved in parenting.

gaugebozo

Can somebody explain Johnson's popularity? If you naively think of libertarians as dissatisfied Republicans, that puts Trump up in a head to head race. I mean, why?

Can somebody explain Johnson's popularity? If you naively think of libertarians as dissatisfied Republicans, that puts Trump up in a head to head race. I mean, why?

It's Never Trump people who haven't gotten on the Hillary train yet. Most times they only pick him if they're prompted for him. They can be won and will come home to the bosom of Hillary.

While we're complaining about 538 and Nate, why does he and the site care so much about what betting sites say? They have no models or anything. It's so stupid.

Aside from 538's content quality (which I personally have no problem with, including that piece), they're not going anywhere. Their non politic coverage is substantial and actually pretty good. I like that there's a place that looks at stuff a little differently.

Economic conservatism is unfortunately very popular in America, but social conservatism is much less popular.

Unlike Romney, Trump ran on 90% social conservatism. So what you have is a lot of people that would normally vote for the GOP, but are sick of hearing social conservative crap. Many of these people have decided "fuck it I'm going Nader on Trump."

ampere

Fucking hell.

Johnson is IN THE WAY. Clinton at like 50 without him in the race. Fuck fuck fuck.

Stop. When November rolls around nobody will actually vote for him or Stein. Stop :you-ing

Gary Earl Johnson Libertarian New Mexico 1,275,971 0.99%
Jill Ellen Stein Green Massachusetts 469,627 0.36%

They're protesting by saying "neither" in polling. This will fade as we get closer to November

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom