• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any issue or problem that this nation or world has that can be solved in 140 characters or a quick hashtag?

Its designed for people who have no attention span in an era where people are hyper indulging information online.

Its how somebody like Trump gets a nom. He has his quick 1 sentence quips that get people into him as opposed to anything of substance.

The hope for something like twitter is that maybe a woman getting abused can get her story out or that something that a government would not want exposed can spread quickly but instead its a cesspool of noise.

Your experience on Twitter can vary significantly depending on who you follow and how many you follow. It is very possible to use Twitter and filter through the noise.

I primarily follow political journalists and people who talk about vintage Japanese arcade games. I don't expand my follows into the thousands.

Nobody's suggesting journalists will win a Pulitzer for their "tweetstorm", but it is a useful tool while watching live events unfold, such as the RNC.

jmood88

Is there any issue or problem that this nation or world has that can be solved in 140 characters or a quick hashtag?

Its designed for people who have no attention span in an era where people are hyper indulging information online.

Its how somebody like Trump gets a nom. He has his quick 1 sentence quips that get people into him as opposed to anything of substance.

The hope for something like twitter is that maybe a woman getting abused can get her story out or that something that a government would not want exposed can spread quickly but instead its a cesspool of noise.
As with every single social network in the world, including this one, it's all about who you choose to pay attention to.

Bowdz

If it isn't Warren I want Booker or Perez.

Hillary you have like 80 years of experience. You can pick someone who's a little green.

(Not so green like Castro to avoid a Palin type situation, but you know)

Agreed. I don't think her concerns about foreign policy experience are as important as reporting has made it seems she thinks they are, but I fully trust Mook and her campaign to make the best call possible.

It may sound petty or shallow, but I'd honestly want to pick Perez or Bacerra because it is a further opportunity to push hispanic voters into permanent Democratic voters which will pay dividends for the foreseeable future.

If it isn't Warren I want Booker or Perez.

Hillary you have like 80 years of experience. You can pick someone who's a little green.

(Not so green like Castro to avoid a Palin type situation, but you know)

Castro has, if anything, more experience than Perez. Only been in the cabinet a year less and has actually been elected to public office. Would Perez be the first person since Ike to go into the White House without ever winning an election previously?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Your 2020 nominee

Yep; Trump's upcoming failure will be enough to push people back to a "Classic Conservative" who will be just as unelectable since his policy positions won't be moderated since he is a true believer ideologue and the demographic situation will be even worse for Republicans.

The question that remains, will they start the reform process after 2020?

Speech Draft has been leaked

Dems got it apparently...

This is an instance where actually having a campaign can be a huge advantage.

Cn6-LlrXEAAkY45.jpg:large

Whole draft isn't available anywhere

Fox318

Yep; Trump's upcoming failure will be enough to push people back to a "Classic Conservative" who will be just as unelectable since his policy positions won't be moderated since he is a true believer ideologue and the demographic situation will be even worse for Republicans.

The question that remains, will they start the reform process after 2020?

This is an instance where actually having a campaign can be a huge advantage.

Depends what the democratic party looks like and if Hillary doesn't have a scandle plagued term.

thcsquad

Don't wake up Tarkus...

They're comparing two different things: the market average and the "second lowest silver plan" average.

I havent read the whole report, but it looks like their reasoning was that the silver was closest in actuarial value to the old average, in fact a bit higher.

An amendment, pushed by Lyndon Johnson, many years ago, threatens religious institutions with a loss of their tax-exempt status if they openly advocate their political views.

I am going to work very hard to repeal that language and protect free speech for all Americans.

What's he talking about here?

I mean with a good delivery it will rally the base but it's more fear mongering about how everything is horrible.

I can see why Peter Thiel is speaking with that LGBT part.

pigeon

Banned
Specific tangible policy commitments in this speech:

* Suspend immigration from any nation that has been compromised by terrorism until such time as proven vetting mechanisms have been put in place.
* Build the wall
* Renegotiate all American trade deals, including NAFTA*
* Huge tax cut
* Lift restrictions on production of American energy
* Repeal and replace Obamacare
* Ask every department head to provide a list of wasteful spending projects that can be cut in the first 100 days
* Repeal the law that causes religious institutions to lose tax exempt status if they advocate political views (I think he means 501(c)(3)?)

I left out some stuff that is really too generic to comment on like "let's build some roads."

Uh, no. It's really not. It's mostly coherent, but there's no way Trump is going to deliver that thing with nuance and any semblance of decorum.

Yes he's going to deviate with "unbelievable", "totally" and "____ your head will spin".

It's a very neutered speech. He's not going to stick to the script.

NeoXChaos

"Every action I take, I will ask myself: does this make life better for young Americans in Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, Ferguson who have as much of a right to live out their dreams as any other child America?

well this one is interesting.

Specific tangible policy commitments in this speech:

* Suspend immigration from any nation that has been compromised by terrorism until such time as proven vetting mechanisms have been put in place.
* Build the wall
* Renegotiate all American trade deals, including NAFTA*
* Huge tax cut
* Lift restrictions on production of American energy
* Repeal and replace Obamacare
* Ask every department head to provide a list of wasteful spending projects that can be cut in the first 100 days
* Repeal the law that causes religious institutions to lose tax exempt status if they advocate political views (I think he means 501(c)(3)?)

I left out some stuff that is really too generic to comment on like "let's build some roads."
It's this I guess.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Amendment

ED: Okay I think I got them all.

Trying to find all the sections that could plausibly be interpreted as actual policy proposals:

Lastly, we must immediately suspend immigration from any nation that has been compromised by terrorism until such time as proven vetting mechanisms have been put in place.

We are going to build a great border wall to stop illegal immigration, to stop the gangs and the violence, and to stop the drugs from pouring into our communities.

I pledge to never sign any trade agreement that hurts our workers, or that diminishes our freedom and independence. Instead, I will make individual deals with individual countries

We are going to enforce all trade violations, including through the use of taxes and tariffs, against any country that cheats.

Our horrible trade agreements with China and many others, will be totally renegotiated. That includes renegotiating NAFTA to get a much better deal for America

I have proposed the largest tax reduction of any candidate who has declared for the presidential race this year – Democrat or Republican. Middle-income Americans will experience profound relief, and taxes will be simplified for everyone.

We are going to lift the restrictions on the production of American energy.

We will build the roads, highways, bridges, tunnels, airports, and the railways of tomorrow

We will repeal and replace disastrous Obamacare. You will be able to choose your own doctor again. And we will fix TSA at the airports!

We will completely rebuild our depleted military, and the countries that we protect, at a massive loss, will be asked to pay their fair share.

We are going to ask every Department Head in government to provide a list of wasteful spending projects that we can eliminate in my first 100 days.

An amendment, pushed by Lyndon Johnson, many years ago, threatens religious institutions with a loss of their tax-exempt status if they openly advocate their political views.

I am going to work very hard to repeal that language and protect free speech for all Americans.

pigeon

Banned
This is pretty much a GOP speech. The question is. Will Trump stay on message?

I mean, it's pretty much an Adolf Hitler speech.

YOU KNOW WHO said:
I have a message for all of you: the crime and violence that today afflicts our nation will soon come to an end. Beginning on January 20th 2017, safety will be restored.

This is not something a GOP politician would say. This is deep nationalist crazy.

The most basic duty of government is to defend the lives of its own citizens. Any government that fails to do so is a government unworthy to lead.

Is it just me, or does this come perilously close to calling for an overthrow of the current government?

Also that line would read better if it was

I have a message for all of you: the crime and violence that afflicts our nation TODAY will soon come to an end. Beginning on January 20th 2017, safety will be restored.

It probably sounds better in the original German, though.

hawk2025

The worst part is that, even from my clearly biased view of the speech, I can already tell that it will probably be very well received if he can deliver it.

ED: Okay I think I got them all.

Trying to find all the sections that could plausibly be interpreted as actual policy proposals:

You missed (IMO) by far the most relevant one: He wants to dismiss and renegotiate every single trade agreement, individually. No more trading blocks.

I think there is one good part of the speech (from a persuasive perspective, not a truth or goodness perspective) which is where he compares Hillary's "I'm with her" slogan to an "I'm with the American people" slogan. That would be a good line coming from anyone.

You missed (IMO) by far the most relevant one: He wants to dismiss and renegotiate every single trade agreement, individually. No more trading blocks.

Added in the individual deal thing.

I think there is one good part of the speech (from a persuasive perspective, not a truth or goodness perspective) which is where he compares Hillary's "I'm with her" slogan to an "I'm with the American people" slogan. That would be a good line coming from anyone.

Nevermind, added in the section before that about individual deals.
He already used it in another speech. Trying it again though I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom