• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I literally do not get the panic.

It's not a statesman like speech. It's literally fascism. It's the shit they've been spewing all week. Of course it's going to appeal to the base. But an acceptance speech needs to appeal to the people who aren't already converted.

Like, am I missing something?

You're right. It's the same list of republican talking points we have heard throughout the primary. The only difference is now we aren't hearing about a wall or other crazy stuff he said in the primaries. It just seems like a normal GOP candidate speech.

Holmes

Everyone was probably expecting bloody diarrhea and now that we've only got disgusting puke they're shocked and worried.
Yeah.... you're all acting like Trump speaking in coherent sentences will hand him the White House. Maybe calm down a little? Well, it's PoliGAF after all.

I literally do not get the panic.

It's not a statesman like speech. It's literally fascism. It's the shit they've been spewing all week. Of course it's going to appeal to the base. But an acceptance speech needs to appeal to the people who aren't already converted.

Like, am I missing something?

This is the speech you give if you are running for mayor of New Detroit in Robocop.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I don't see Trump being able to deliver it well enough to give it the impact they are expecting.

You're right. It's the same list of republican talking points we have heard throughout the primary. The only difference is now we aren't hearing about a wall or other crazy stuff he said in the primaries. It just seems like a normal GOP candidate speech.

The Wall is in the speech!

This is NOT a regular Republican speech.

There is no hope in this speech. It is line after line of fear and anger. That's it

Crocodile

The Art of the Deal author is on MSNBC again giving a damning description of Trump. Dude is legit TERRIFIED. Says Trump is unqualified and has only succeeded by appealing to people's lizard brains.

After the shit show that this week has been, does a decent speech really matter? I have a feeling that viewership will be much lower than anticipated.

At the end of the day, he's going to be toast after the first debate.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

There is no hope in this speech. It is line after line of fear and anger. That's it

Might as well be Junko Enoshima giving the speech.

(I just finished the Danganronpa Duology this week)

Well the wall, immigration ban, and protectionism are all in the speech.

Iolo

Please read the speech.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Well the wall, immigration ban, and protectionism are all in the speech.

wat

How did I miss that? Hmm...yeah, I don't get it, then. It's the same thing he always says, just read off a teleprompter.

Sianos

Regardless of what happens Im sure the media will try to turn this into the narrative of a 'campaign rescued from the abyss by a powerful speech.' They probably already have their prepared remarks ready. They will just gloss over everything that has happened during the last 3 days and turn whatever happens today into the turning point.

Yeah, this will probably happen. Assuming Trump can read an entire speech off the teleprompter without descending into rants about Lyin' Ted's and Plagiarizin' Melania's, which is a pretty charitable assumption, but certainly not a difficult thing to do.

Trump will have a few moments where he seems coherent. He might even manage to read an entire speech a couple times! But that is not enough, especially considering how this speech fails to reach out to anyone not already a part of Trump's base.

Like, seriously. The purpose of a convention speech is not to preach to the people there. There is polling to prove a lot of the things he's calling for are NOT popular with the electorate at large. He is not running in a primary any more.

Why? He didn't exactly get toasted in the GOP debates...

He was debating Marco Rubio. Presidential debates are entirely different from Primary debates. There aren't 30 people on the stage to draw attention away from him. There is pushback during an actual Presidential debate.

Did someone clone Diablos and give the clones access to our Gaf accounts? Lawd.

oh my god, fascism is on America's doorstep...

OzZpKfK.gif

People already freaking out that somebody else wrote Donald Trump a speech even before we have to hear someone with the oratory skills of Donald Trump walk on stage and deliver it.

Iolo

Like, seriously. The purpose of a convention speech is not to preach to the people there. There is polling to prove a lot of the things he's calling for are NOT popular with the electorate at large. He is not running in a primary any more.

I'm sorry, but just the fact of this man being the nominee of a major party is cause for great alarm.

It is a disgusting speech.

It's a speech to appeal to White America. Whether it works out or not god knows.

The worst part is that he does absolutely nothing to acknowledge the people killed by the police. Like this isn't an olive branch speech at all to a single minority. He mentions LGBT people, but only in the context that Muslims want to kill them. He dogwhistle towards black people is that we're basically destroying law and order. He's still building the wall. It's a speech designed to drum up support with the white working class which I think might actually work and he might carry them in large numbers

Teggy

When does peter thiel speak?

Supposed to be 9PM

Is this really the speech? Could they be that disorganized? Trumplies.com is already going through and fact checking the whole thing. They'll probably be done before he speaks. For their sake I hope it's the real speech.

But what if it's really a happy speech and they did this to throw people off. The speech just looks like stuff he says all the time. Is Trump that clever? I don't know!

mo60

I'm scared of trump like everyone else but seriously unless he gets insanely lucky in the next few months his chances of winning this election are small still.

Supposed to be 9PM

Is this really the speech? Could they be that disorganized? Trumplies.com is already going through and fact checking the whole thing. They'll probably be done before he speaks. For their sake I hope it's the real speech.

But what if it's really a happy speech and they did this to throw people off. The speech just looks like stuff he says all the time. Is Trump that clever? I don't know!

The campaign released excerpts that match the full transcript.

Crayons

Banned
People already freaking out that somebody else wrote Donald Trump a speech even before we have to hear someone with the oratory skills of Donald Trump walk on stage and deliver it.

We can get a bootleg PoliGAF version of speech going. We just need someone to speak like they're an entitled racist white man and you got his speech right there

The "I am your voice" line scares me. I hope he fucks up that delivery. That's something more up Hillary's alley than his.

Ugh. So much fear, hate, nonsense wrapped up in pure fascism.

God I hate the GOP.

I'm sorry, but just the fact of this man being the nominee of a major party is cause for great alarm.

Well of course it is. That's been true the entire time. It was terrifying yesterday. It will be terrifying when he gives the speech. It will be terrifying the day before the election.

None of that has anything to do with this speech. Anyone who thought he'd get up there and take a literal shit on the stage was putting themselves in fantasy land.

I repeat what I said in the other thread:

People want inspiration. They want hope. This has none of that. It's isolationist. It's xenophobic. It's freaking fascist.

gcubed

Why? He didn't exactly get toasted in the GOP debates...

well, once there were under 37 people on stage where one might expect an actual nuanced policy answer to a question he decided to not debate again.

The guy is a mental midget and will either look like one on the stage, or look like one while calling Hillary a lying bitch. He can't *actually* debate, it's going to be amazing

I wonder if the crowd will erupt into "LOCK HER UP" chants tonight, and I wonder how he'd handle the moment.
I just realized how this and so much or Hillary has us super similar to the "stabbed in the back story" of the Nazis.

With the purging of the civil service, saying Hillary will be running way from prison garb, etc

I'm legit scared what he does with the department of Justice.

So, my first thoughts about this speech were that Trump has been able to turn text into (at least some) subtext. It's not that Mexico isn't sending its best people, they're sending its rapists and murders, it's, oh, it's these sanctuary cities and these illegals who are the problem. It's more classic Republican nativist language that could be more palpable to a wider audience.

I think this largely speaks to those who already support Trump, and maybe speak to those who feel the world is going to hell even with evidence to the contrary.

However, while I also think this is a good speech, I think this is also how it's being received before he delivers it, which also raises Trump's expectations that were absurdly low after Plaghazi, GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY, and Consciencegate.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well of course it is. That's been true the entire time. It was terrifying yesterday. It will be terrifying when he gives the speech. It will be terrifying the day before the election.

None of that has anything to do with this speech. Anyone who thought he'd get up there and take a literal shit on the stage was putting themselves in fantasy land.

I repeat what I said in the other thread:

People want inspiration. They want hope. This has none of that. It's isolationist. It's xenophobic. It's freaking fascist.

He's gone full Nazi

Like, if I wasn't in Cali, and lived in a swing state, I'd be doing shit for Hillary on my weekends. I'd sacrifice that free time to stop Trump.

I've never ever ever ever said that about anyone before. Not Romney, McCain, Bush.

But if I was in Fla or Ohio, so much of my free time would be about stopping him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Like, if I wasn't in Cali, I'd totally be in a swing state doing shit for Hillary on my weekends. I'd sacrifice that free time to stop Trump.

I've never ever ever ever said that about anyone before. Not Romney, McCain, Bush.

But if I was in Fla or Ohio, so much of my free time would be about stopping him.

Amen brother. Thank god NY is going to stab him in the goddamn chest.

Like, if I wasn't in Cali, and lived in a swing state, I'd be doing shit for Hillary on my weekends. I'd sacrifice that free time to stop Trump.

Agreed. I would pretty much give up my other obligations of my free time if I lived in a swing state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom