• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oof, this article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-lose_us_57b2033de4b007c36e4f91f2?ehw4gqfr

Trump’s campaign didn’t return a request for comment. Sources close to him say the enormity of a possible win has indeed weighed on him ― as it would on anyone else. But they also note that his candidacy has been unconventional from the beginning, often by design.

One oft-repeated story, several people have told The Huffington Post, is that upon entering the race, Trump told his campaign team that he didn’t expect to win the primary, anticipating instead that he would finished second or third; the publicity of a run boosting his business ventures. Associates say that isn’t true. They expected to trail the top tier of Republicans during the early stages of the primary and make a big push as voting neared, relying, if need be, on his personal resources. What caught them off guard was both how quickly he moved to the front of the pack and how reluctant his fellow Republicans were to go after him once he was there.

Explaining the current state of the campaign, these associates point to that relatively bruise-free primary ― not some nascent desire to extricate himself from the path to the presidency ― as a contributing factor.

“No one really went out and attacked Trump during the primary season for the most part. And if you look at this reaction when his poll numbers did slip, when Ben Carson showed strength in Iowa, Donald Trump did the belt buckle speech and Carson didn’t really push back,” said a source close to the Trump campaign. “The difference now is it is much harder to take down Hillary Clinton with one speech.”

While Trump may be unaccustomed to ― and rattled by ― a sustained attack from a political opponent, it still remains a mystery as to why he hasn’t adjusted his tactics amid evidence that those attacks are taking a toll. The aforementioned source argued that Trump has been let down by his aides. “Nobody is naive enough to think this campaign is going well,” the source said. “The fundamental problem is that the people now running this campaign don’t give a shit if he wins or loses.”

Brinbe

LOL every senior international correspondent on CNN is like nah, Trump's an idiot. ISIS and Russia want him to be POTUS.

The problem comes from having these Trump contributors come on as some sort of counterpoint to respond to real journalists and talk without any real journalistic pushback. It's not fair and balanced journalism to allow these paid PR shills to just lie and spout bullshit. Jeff Zucker is horrible. He's better off moving on to Fox and following in Ailes' footsteps.

You can just hear the silent "You're so full of shit" that the CNN host was thinking when Brookover claimed Trump's comment about Hillary's mental and physical health only having to do her policies during her term as SoS.

tuffy

I don't think Trump is looking forward to the act of losing, where he'll have to send out some humiliating concession tweet. But I do think, at some level, he's looking forward to going back to his old lifestyle and not being a candidate anymore. For that reason I don't think he's going to be any sort of significant political presence in the future.

Yes, when your opponent is a 30 year beltway veteran, former First Lady, Ex-Senator from your state, and Ex-SecState who also inherited the operation and coalition of a once in a generation politician, you will need more than one speech to put a dent in her over shield.

Like the N-gage thinking it can take out the GBA.

The fundamental problem is that the people now running this campaign don’t give a shit if he wins or loses.

It's really hard to fight from this far down when you don't personally believe in your candidate. The Trump campaign feels like a team with two priorities: get their paycheck, and prevent their participation from ruining the rest of their career.

Thus (almost) ends the long, silly sage of whether Gary Johnson would be on the ballot in Ohio.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2016/08/libertarians_can_swap_in_gary.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio—Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted on Monday gave the green light for Libertarians to swap in presidential nominee Gary Johnson's name as an independent on the November ballot.

Husted's ruling ends questions about whether Ohio Libertarians were legally allowed to insert Johnson's name in place of a temporary candidate, 2014 gubernatorial candidate Charlie Earl.

Johnson, a former governor of New Mexico, isn't on the Ohio ballot yet: county elections officials have until Friday to verify whether at least 5,000 of the 12,000 petition signatures submitted are valid.

If Johnson appears on the ballot, he could make a difference in a close race between Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump -- recent surveys show Johnson polling between 5 percent and 12 percent in Ohio, a key swing state.

In its ruling, Husted's office wrote that Ohio law doesn't specifically say whether a presidential candidate can be swapped out for another, especially when petition signatures haven't yet been verified. Monday is the deadline to certify replacements for candidates who have withdrawn or were disqualified from running in November.

But, the ruling concluded, "The law being unclear, Secretary Husted believes the spirit of ballot access should prevail" and that Johnson can replace Earl on the ballot.

Johnson has to run as an independent in Ohio because the state party lost recognition after Republican lawmakers changed state ballot-access rules in 2013.

Libertarians said they listed Earl's name as a placeholder because they started collecting signatures before Johnson was officially nominated as their party's presidential nominee. There was also concern that if Ohio Libertarians win a long-shot lawsuit attempting to regain state recognition as a party, Johnson would run into legal trouble if he ran as both a Libertarian and as an independent.

jevity

Okay, since Trump did not present anything resembling a concise plan to engage ISIS, lets try to draw up a draft of some ideas describing a potential approach to the problem.

First off, the differences between ISIS and Al-Qaeda. ISIS is clearly deeper steeped in islamic eschatology than Al Qaeda. Should the approach to defeating ISIS be centered around operations that reveal how Aal-baghdadi is not the Mahdi ? Should we carpet-bomb ISIS controlled areas with a magazine that directly challenges and attack Dabiq and exposes how hypocritical ISIS is ? What what you do ?

Libertarians should seriously be running candidates in the districts Johnson does best in this year for the future. But they probably won't.

The libertarians run one or two reasonably backed House candidates every off-cycle. The problem is that they pick for personality not viability. A few years ago one ran in my district (NC-4) and LOL at a libertarian winning over communist Durham, NC.

Also, this is interesting:

@bcburden
The redder the state, the farther Trump is running behind Romney.

Cp6ZgIlVIAEQRkS.jpg

Cp6ZgIlVIAEQRkS.jpg
TEXAS HERE WE COME??

Okay, since Trump did not present anything resembling a concise plan to engage ISIS, lets try to draw up a draft of some ideas describing a potential approach to the problem.
Just do whatever it is we're doing and it'll work eventually. Move toward stability in Syria as quickly as possible. Residual force in Iraq of 20k soldiers with legal immunity.

Brinbe

Pretty good story on Zucker and Trump's relationship from Feb. http://www.thewrap.com/donald-trump...m-reality-star-frontrunner-presidential-race/

The rise of Donald Trump has stunned almost everyone in the media and political establishment — except for a TV executive who can take more credit for Trump’s media success than almost anyone:

CNN President Jeff Zucker.

Zucker has given Trump so much play on his network — sometimes airing Trump rallies end to end — that it has shocked some colleagues and media observers. For the once-lagging network, the Trump play has paid off wildly: Its ratings have skyrocketed this election cycle.

As Trump prepares for yet another appearance on CNN — on Thursday’s Republican debate — the symbiotic relationship between the two is a reminder that Trump and Zucker have done this dance before, when Zucker was running NBC and Trump’s “The Apprentice” became a hit for the once-struggling network.

“It does so happen that Jeff Zucker was in positions during the career of Donald Trump where he had the opportunity to use Donald Trump to his advantage on the air, ” Robert Thompson, Director of Belier Center for Television & Popular Culture at Syracuse University’s Newhouse School, told TheWrap.

“‘The Apprentice’ was very good for NBC,” he noted. “It fashioned and reshaped Donald Trump for a new audience, many of whom didn’t even know who he was when that show started… Now Zucker is at CNN and, once again, seems to be using Donald Trump to both of their benefits.”

This time, however, the stakes are much higher: The presidency. They are especially high for many of Zucker’s colleagues in the news and entertainment industries who consider Trump a bigoted blowhard.

“I’m struggling with it,” said one longtime friend, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Privately, friends of Zucker suggest that he is both aware of his unusual role in Trump’s rise, and reveling in the ratings success.

Fucking horrible. If it seems like CNN's journalistic integrity has ground into the shitter this past election season, it's because it has. Gotta drive that horserace for entertainment in the pursuit of money and profit instead of having any integrity. Fucking infuriating.

Cp6ZgIlVIAEQRkS.jpg

Obviously the ideal is that they may break for someone else or opt just to not vote for him at all, but I'm going to go with the pessimistic option that there are more than a few conservative voters who are considering themselves "on the fence" but deep down know they will vote for Trump in the end. I would love to be wrong.

I don't think Trump is looking forward to the act of losing, where he'll have to send out some humiliating concession tweet. But I do think, at some level, he's looking forward to going back to his old lifestyle and not being a candidate anymore. For that reason I don't think he's going to be any sort of significant political presence in the future.

I don't think Trump's life will ever be the same after the election is over. At least he'll have a new set followers(suckers) he can swindle. That's really what the narcissist in him wants -- a group of people that listens to him verbally fellate himself.

First off, the differences between ISIS and Al-Qaeda. ISIS is clearly deeper steeped in islamic eschatology than Al Qaeda. Should the approach to defeating ISIS be centered around operations that reveal how Aal-baghdadi is not the Mahdi ? Should we carpet-bomb ISIS controlled areas with a magazine that directly challenges and attack Dabiq and exposes how hypocritical ISIS is ? What what you do ?
Its a twofold problem: domestic and international. As far as international is concerned, just stay the course in Iraq. ISIS has lost almost half its territory in Iraq. Fall of Mosul will effectively end the caliphate in Iraq. Syria is a whole another beast. Majority of innocent people being starved, killed and tortured in Syria are at the hands of Assad regime. ISIS, though brutal in its style, is peanuts compared to the carnage Assad has wrecked on the people in Syria. Was reading this article about this girl dubbed "Angel" that works in a bombed out maternity ward in Aleppo (google Angel Aleppo). She takes care of newborn infants that need support. Her husband is an Assad supporter and divorces her and takes her two kids to Damascus, because at some point she gave medical help to a rebel. The ward gets bombed, and babies die. She holds this one small infant as he takes his last breath. She still works there.

I couldnt sleep the night I read the article. This is carnage. Media is fixated on ISIS media savvy style and brutal videos, and that has seeped into the politics of US where ISIS is the defacto punching bag. I mean they should be, but Assad is the bigger cuntlord here. No one has any policy about this guy's end game. Trump probably doesn't even know who he is. As long as he's around, an ultra hardline terrorist group will exist in one way shape or form.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

One obvious approach would be to set up a competing Caliphate, better resourced, widely recognised and at peace with its neighbours. Put it somewhere like Montana, then nurture it.

Seems to have worked out OK for the Mormons.

(No, this is not a serious suggestion!)

itschris

Miami Herald: Rubio stands by calling Trump ‘con man,’ but still backs him

In the heat of the Republican presidential primary, Marco Rubio called Donald Trump a “con man.” And he doesn’t take it back.

“I’ve stood by everything I ever said in my campaign,” Rubio told the Miami Herald editorial board Monday.

But Rubio still supports Trump for president. In fact, Rubio insists, Trump is partly why he reversed himself and chose to run for the U.S. Senate again.

“We’re in a different place now. Now we have a binary choice — not a choice between 15 people or 12 people. There are two people in the world that are going to be the next president, either Donald or Hillary” Clinton, he said. “In our republic, while the presidency is powerful, there is a balance of power in this country, and a significant amount of it resides in the United States Senate. It’s one of the reasons why I seek to run again.”

Teggy

Jake Tapper: What do you say about the Manafort story?
Establishment GOP guy: gives answer
Trump guy: let me ignore your question, ISIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom