• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole Christian thing is a big part of it, especially among Evangelicals. There's Biblical prophecy how God will damn any nation who doesn't support Israel. They're also a democracy in the region. Also, if you're a pre-millennial Evangelical, there are doctrinal reasons to want to support Israel.
also consider their position geographicallydoesnr hurt to have a friend over there

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hannity dragging out a panel of terrorist victims to talk to Trump.

And they're onto the "Radical Islam is a magic word that will stop terrorism" shtick.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kev? I think we should jump on this. Seems like a good deal to me.

Do you take cash? I only pay in cash.

Cash is good, I prefer it really. Also, can we maybe not tell the feds I draw a salary? I just figure we don't need to bother them with this, it's not that big a deal and they've got other issues.

hawk2025

We've gone above and beyond genuine criticism right now. It's just a circle-jerk of nitpicking.

Ah, yes, all that nitpicking over how to deal with trillions in student debt and the meltdown of the US economy.

Just little details, really, little nits to pick.

If you're talking about the Wii U, I'm going to be very, very cross indeed.

As per Shinra, the Vita is the Green Party of game consoles.

Cash is good, I prefer it really. Also, can we maybe not tell the feds I draw a salary? I just figure we don't need to bother them with this, it's not that big a deal and they've got other issues.

Oh, ya, definitely. I'm fine with that. They have to interview Hillary for something, I'm sure. We'll just put you down as a volunteer.

I'm only half-watching. THe other half is currently playing a videogame on the Green Party of videogame systems.
wii-u-sad-1534973.jpg

Come on dude, the people asking the questions are rolling their eyes at these answers.

Yeah, I noticed when you posted that. Thing is, I went back didn't actually notice any eye rolling.

Much of their pathetically tiny room is enjoying what they have to say. They're certainly getting more claps than Gary Johnson did.

Ah, yes, all that nitpicking over how to deal with trillions in student debt and the meltdown of the US economy.

Just little details, really, little nits to pick.

So um, the candidates 'chemistry' with each other is genuine criticism now? I never said no one here has posted real critique.

Seems like you would rather litigate the tone here on Gaf instead of the substance of this candidate. Why is that?

It's almost like only one of these things could plausibly make a difference.

So um, the candidates 'chemistry' with each other is genuine criticism now? I never said no one here has posted real critique.

When they are trying to work together to run the country it absolutely matters. Of course. Saying chemistry between a VP and President isn't something appropriate to criticize is like saying charisma isn't an important characteristic for a President to have.

Welcome to politics. Everything relates to how a candidate is perceived. I've been critical of Trump's/Pence's chemistry too.

I'm already familiar with the meaningless petty nonsense some people try to assess in politics.

Too often we sideline policy in favor of irrelevant details like appearance, cadence of speech and things of that sort.

You're obviously very much capable of tearing apart Stein's policy. Should it matter if they don't seem great on stage together?

When they are trying to work together to run the country it absolutely matters. Of course. Saying chemistry between a VP and President isn't something appropriate to criticize is like saying charisma isn't an important characteristic for a President to have.

It's obvious things like charisma ought to take a back seat to their positions.

I'm already familiar with the meaningless petty nonsense some people try to assess in politics.

Too often we sideline policy in favor of irrelevant details like appearance, cadence of speech and things of that sort.

You're obviously very much capable of tearing apart Stein's policy. Should it matter if they don't seem great on stage together?

I mean, tearing apart her policy is as silly as criticizing their chemistry...because neither really matters. They're not going to be elected to dog catcher let alone President. But, ya, I actually do think it's a fair line of criticism to talk about how the top and bottom of the ticket relate to each other.

I actually argued against Kaine for this very reason. I was wrong, because his initial event with Hillary is not indicative of how they relate to each other on the trail.

My point was you can tell, by their body language, they've never spent time together. They don't know each other, etc.

hawk2025

Have you noticed that you are the one that guided the conversation towards the "chemistry" comment, rather than the substance?

No. It isn't.

The President doesn't just write down a bunch of positions and then they become policy.

The President has to convince the people of America that something they don't necessarily want to do is the right thing to do. The President has to represent America at international summits, in negotiations to prevent war.

Saying 'all that should matter is a person's positions on the issues' is being willfully blind to what a President actually has to do week in and week out. Which is convince people that don't already agree with them, that their ideas are the right ideas.

If FDR wasn't a charismatic son of a bitch... I don't even want to consider what the world would look like today.

My point was you can tell, by their body language, they've never spent time together. They don't know each other, etc.

Man, I get where you're coming from with this but I disagree.

I don't really know these people. I can't honestly sit here and claim to know the nature of their relationship by how they move their body and how effectively they'd govern the country based on that.

Obviously they're not going to be governing shit though. I don't think that makes their ideas irrelevant though. We shouldn't just be ignoring dissenting opinions because they don't have much of a platform.

Have you noticed that you are the one that guided the conversation towards the "chemistry" comment, rather than the substance?

You might as well be covering your ears and babbling. The chemistry comment was literally a random pick out of all the meaningless nitpicks here and you know that. I'm obviously okay with criticism. It just makes us look really petty when we harp on garbage like

"oh look someone's eyes rolled so she must be wrong"

pigeon

Banned
For the record, to circle back, I think it's super problematic if Stein feels she has to downplay her Jewishness to appeal to anti-Semites. This should really be a red flag for any progressives thinking about supporting her -- and I'm the one who supports Palestinian UN membership!

royalan

What positions, tho?

This town hall was devoid of any workable policy.

I mean, their answer on how they would essentially buy and void student debt and get congress to go along with this was basically, "We'll make it happen!!! (。◕‿◕。)"

Teggy

Oliver Willis
Oliver Willis‏ @owillis

"harambe, you're alive! but how?"
"tell no one ryan lochte, the fate of the world depends on it. just make up a story."

Regarding the "Jewish origins" thing, she might be implying she is either an atheist or non-practing. As someone who was raised Jewish but is now an atheist it's always awkward when someone asks what my religion is and I don't want to have a long coversation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I don't really know these people. I can't honestly sit here and claim to know the nature of their relationship by how they move their body and how effectively they'd govern the country based on that.

Obviously they're not going to be governing shit though. I don't think that makes their ideas irrelevant though. We shouldn't just be ignoring dissenting opinions because they don't have much of a platform.

You might as well be covering your ears and babbling. The chemistry comment was literally a random pick out of all the meaningless nitpicks here and you know that. I'm obviously okay with criticism. It just makes us look really petty when we harp on garbage like

Saying her answer on vaccines was wrong goes without saying. Saying anything other than "They are good and everyone should get them because they protect us from diseases that used to ravage and kill people," is a bullshit answer. I'm not going to bother dissecting a bullshit answer everyone knows is wrong and stupid.

The reason I said that was it confirms the stories we heard. This was not her first choice. He was like 3rd, after Nina Turner! They just looked very unfamiliar on uncomfortable with each other.

Also, is Gary Johnson always high when he's on camera? I've never seen him speak before.

No. It isn't.

The President doesn't just write down a bunch of positions and then they become policy.

The President has to convince the people of America that something they don't necessarily want to do is the right thing to do. The President has to represent America at international summits, in negotiations to prevent war.

Saying 'all that should matter is a person's positions on the issues' is being willfully blind to what a President actually has to do week in and week out. Which is convince people that don't already agree with them, that their ideas are the right ideas.

If FDR wasn't a charismatic son of a bitch... I don't even want to consider what the world would look like today.

Of course. But understand there is a fair bit of subjectivity in how we assess things like charisma.

For a time, almost half of the country and the majority of the Republican party liked Trump, despite the fact that he's a buffoon. They obviously value something in his character that the rest of us don't.

His 'charisma' is important, but his shit positions obviously mean more. Just as Stein's positions mean more than her Charisma.

I certainly hope you don't think her positions should take a backseat to her policy. To use your example, how fucked would we be if FDR pushed for fundamentally differing things but with his exact same charisma?

The issues will ultimately be more important.

The reason I said that was it confirms the stories we heard. This was not her first choice. He was like 3rd, after Nina Turner! They just looked very unfamiliar on uncomfortable with each other.

Also, is Gary Johnson always high when he's on camera? I've never seen him speak before.

Alright. I get you now.

Also yes. I think he openly admits to hitting a blunt every once in awhile. So yeah maybe.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I've seen him worse, this is fairly lucid for him.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This Lumpy/Trump town hall is not nearly as entertaining as I thought.

It's basically the most staged propaganda piece since The Wizard.

Didn't here that. Still doubt he was watching meet the press at like 4pm german time
He said that he turned the tv on [in Germany] and first thing he saw was Susan Rice. He didn't say that that was the first explanation he heard ever, or that that was the first time he turned on a tv since being extracted from Benghazi.

Of course. But understand there is a fair bit of subjectivity in how we assess things like charisma.

For a time, almost half of the country and the majority of the Republican party liked Trump, despite the fact that he's a buffoon. They obviously value something in his character that the rest of us don't.

His 'charisma' is important, but his shit positions obviously mean more. Just as Stein's positions mean more than her Charisma.

I certainly hope you don't think her positions should take a backseat to her policy. To use your example, how fucked would we be if FDR pushed for fundamentally differing things but with his exact same charisma?

The issues will ultimately be more important.

Her answer on issues was so nonsensical, I went for something slightly more interesting.

Also, just to nitpick here for a second...Trump has never been close to an approval rating among all voters in or near 50%.

Here is how I think about a presidential nominee. When you are President, just about every problem that crosses your desk is impossible. That's a natural consequence of the job. Any problem with a feasible solution wouldn't really reach you.

So that's the job. Deal with a never ending torrent of unsolvable problems and intractable solutions. The quality of your campaign platform doesn't really help you much here. Platforms, obviously, matter. They tell signal an electorate about what a candidate's judgement and perceptions, but they are neither the Alpha or the Omega.

Stein's platform is a hodge podge of recycled ideas that might have merit and some batshit crazy haymakers meant to draw support from the fringes of the electorate. One look at her platform tells me that she is not running to be President, she is running to try to peel of 5% of the vote to secure federal funding.

Beyond her platform the only major thing we have to judge what her Presidential decisionmaking would look like is her VP pick. With that in mind, I would say that analyzing her interactions with him are germane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom