• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
FCC said:
In the past, the FCC has enforced the indecency and profanity prohibitions only against conventional broadcast services, not against subscription programming services such as cable and satellite. However, the prohibition against obscene programming applies to subscription programming services at all times.

In other words, CNN can say 'shit' 24 hours a day, and broadcast TV can after 10pm. Obscenity, as opposed to profanity, is a legal clusterfuck. Sure, it's illegal, but it's kind of a hot potato because legally it is determined based on community standards.

The whole thing about 'shit' on South Park was about their own standards and practices on Comedy Central, not the FCC.

Trump performed in line with his polls, with late deciders actually breaking against him throughout the primary until his opposition collapsed in the north east. There's no evidence of any Bradley Effect with him.

Emarv

That actor dude was on some hateful weed or something.

Homeboy just wasn't ready to have an argument on television. Just wanted to spread his typical "Just get over [racism]" stuff. They were laughing at how tangential his arguments were, but I could see why he was frustrated at these 'smug liberals'. Resigning himself from the argument wasn't a bad look. Still doesn't excuse his "Old-fashioned" gibberish garbage.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Remember those rumors that Trump's staffers were suicidal? Well...

JmXK16D.png

Link

The Autumn Wind
Turn to CNN.

Hear Trump surrogate try to defend non-existent Iran video. Gets slapped down by Don Lemon. Surrogate pivots to false claim that Hillary said she would raise taxes on the middle class. No pushback.

Turn off CNN.

aliengmr

BTW, how stupid of Trump to not use Pence more. He should have him talk a lot more, but clearly Trump is an egomaniac. I never thought he would run that bad of a campaign. It feels like he is trying to crash it.

He was doing well in the polls, so that's the opposite of what I'm talking about.

Why not use Pence more? That wouldn't change anything, an insane person is still the top of the ticket. Plus if we are talking about Trump supporters, Pence is as "establishment" as you can get.

And I don't agree with the secret Trump voter non-sense. If anything 3rd party support will be empowered on voting day.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yanked from FCC website:

This applies to all broadcast media!

Worth a mention that in CNN's original programming they don't censor s-words at all. There's a bit of an "educational purposes/documentary/news" exception. Usually media go out of their way to be overcautious on it. Better safe than sorry.
https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/guides/obscenity-indecency-profanity-faq

Also also, the infraction depends on what maturity rating your show is run at! Any "normal" cable is typically TV-PG or TV-14 (like a Daily Show, etc). You can get away with more under TV-MA (like a South Park, etc). This is where more of the "it's on cable" is in play because they're often conservative in their ratings to bring in more advertisers and claim wider demographics for their shows.
This is all misleading. "Broadcast" is over the public airwaves, hence the regulation. We're talking ABC, NBC, etc. CNN is cable, they do not face oversight on indecent or profane material. Obscenity is the only thing the FCC might be watching out for on cable, and well, that's a messy definition.

CNN cares way more about what airports are comfortable with playing on their screens than what the FCC thinks. It's not really an issue.

Yanked from FCC website:

This applies to all broadcast media!

Worth a mention that in CNN's original programming they don't censor s-words at all. There's a bit of an "educational purposes/documentary/news" exception. Usually media go out of their way to be overcautious on it. Better safe than sorry.
https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/guides/obscenity-indecency-profanity-faq

Also also, the infraction depends on what maturity rating your show is run at! Any "normal" cable is typically TV-PG or TV-14 (like a Daily Show, etc). You can get away with more under TV-MA (like a South Park, etc). This is where more of the "it's on cable" is in play because they're often conservative in their ratings to bring in more advertisers and claim wider demographics for their shows.

This is only applies to over the airwaves channels. Cable is NOT regulated at all with regards to content.

Iolo

The next couple weeks should be instructive. In a normal year, Hillary would be at her peak right now in terms of bounce, and it should slowly dissipate, leaving about a 3-4 point lead. This is an unusual year, though.

Bowdz

The next couple weeks should be instructive. In a normal year, Hillary would be at her peak right now in terms of bounce, and it should slowly dissipate, leaving about a 3-4 point lead. This is an unusual year, though.

Pretty much every pundit was saying at the convention that the race will essentially freeze during the Olympics poll-wise. Time to see if they are right. It would be crazy if a nearly 10% average lead was baked in for multiple weeks.

Pizoxuat

what... the f.

While tumblr definitely has people who are mentally ill and supporting each other in unhealthy ways of coping with that, it's important to keep in mind that all the -kin communities there are hugely infested with reddit trolls who screencap their own posts then go back to their cringe and -in action communities to say "lol can you believe these people?" So it's hard to know what is the internet amplifying mental illness, what is teenage attention seeking/chuunibyou behavior, and what is trolling.

pigeon

Banned
It's what protest votes do, so it's likely to happen. But the lower his poll numbers are, the less meaningful the bump would be because it wouldn't be enough to win. That's only true if the polls are close to accurate.

Protest voting and shy Tories are two super different things.

I don't think either is all that likely. Trump voters exhibit no shame for their choice, so there's no reason to expect them to lie to pollsters, and I would expect protest voters to go third-party.

Welp nevermind apparently my cousins I mentioned earlier were just afraid to say they might vote for Trump to my face

;_; family, why must you shame me like this. Hopefully this is just hearsay/guesswork from my aunt and they were being honest to me.

I'm kinda glad they didn't say anything though because it would have been extremely awkward for the rest of the time they were staying with me, it would be the only thing I could think about

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shamelessly stolen from twitter.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dear-america-300309347.html

NEW YORK, Aug. 4, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- I am one of eleven people who donated the maximum amount under law to Donald Trump during the primaries. I am very conservative when it comes to issues related to the United States Constitution, supporting law enforcement and lowering taxes for businesses to grow. However, when it comes to social issues, I am probably more liberal and progressive than most Americans. Although that I believe that abortion is morally wrong, I do not believe that the government should be involved with telling people what they can or can not do with their bodies. In terms of people and their sexual preferences, I could care less what people do behind closed doors and if two people love each other, the government should allow them to get married. In terms of racial relations, our neighborhoods, places of employment and public schools in New York City are more diverse than anywhere in the world. When people on the news call Donald Trump a racist, I find that statement difficult to believe. Like myself, Donald Trump is a life-long New Yorker. Donald Trump lives, works, eats and employs people of all races and religions. Like many of my fellow New Yorkers, Donald Trump speaks his mind and that type of behavior can easily be misunderstood by people who are not New Yorkers. Defending yourself does not make you a bully. The real bullies are the people who are attacking Donald Trump and then claiming that they are the victims. The fact of the matter is that Donald Trump has rolled up his sleeves and he is trying to stir up debate to find real solutions to real problems. It was Martin Luther King, Jr. who said "the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." The Republicans running away from Donald Trump are sending a message to the American people that they do not want to find real solutions to securing our borders, keeping security risks out of our country and bringing jobs back to our country. Donald Trump is not dictating his beliefs, but he is rather stirring up debate. God bless him.

Like myself, Donald Trump is a life-long New Yorker. Donald Trump lives, works, eats and employs people of all races and religions. Like many of my fellow New Yorkers, Donald Trump speaks his mind and that type of behavior can easily be misunderstood by people who are not New Yorkers.

Like myself, Donald Trump is a life-long New Yorker. Donald Trump lives, works, eats and employs people of all races and religions.

Donald Trump eats people of all races and religions.

CpDph5zUEAA_faK.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
Turn on CNN.

Discussion of the NYT's eye opening coverage of the crowds at Trump rallies. Trump surrogate is asked to defend them. Proceeds to claim the footage is doctored and that it's simply a NYT hit-piece. Goes on to claim the same behavior takes place at Democrat rallies, but the NYT just doesn't bother to release the footage.

Turn off CNN.

It's like an abusive relationship.

I'm imagining a world where hillary would need to do a press conference about the "we sent money to iran" thing, and getting nervous. Obama explained what happened perfectly. I am worried Hillary would bomb a perfectly explainable situation just like this.

Grief.exe

Posted about this earlier, and it finally went up on the website.

NBC affiliate in Denver interviews a 12 year old Trump die-hard.

http://www.9news.com/news/politics/12-year-old-trump-super-fan-goes-1-on-1-with-kyle-clark/287766890

Should have roasted him.

I made the mistake today of watching that damn video of Hillary facing 40 years of sexist questioning...

And then watching this right after.

I'm in my feels right now.

When Hillary walked out onto that stage...Damn that trailer is fucking hype.

Minty_Freshness

Neo Member
Posted about this earlier, and it finally went up on the website.

NBC affiliate in Denver interviews a 12 year old Trump die-hard.

http://www.9news.com/news/politics/12-year-old-trump-super-fan-goes-1-on-1-with-kyle-clark/287766890

I'm torn. On the one hand it's really impressive that a kid that young is so (mis)informed about politics and so passionate about it.

On the other hand I want to shake the shit out of him while screaming.

Edit: And I think he was in a segment on Sam Bee's show a couple weeks ago. Thought he looked familiar.

User1608

Banned
Turn on CNN.

Discussion of the NYT's eye opening coverage of the crowds at Trump rallies. Trump surrogate is asked to defend them. Proceeds to claim the footage is doctored and that it's simply a NYT hit-piece. Goes on to claim the same behavior takes place at Democrat rallies, but the NYT just doesn't bother to release the footage.

Turn off CNN.

It's like an abusive relationship.
Completely ridiculous. How can he defend them? His fellow supporters hate him too...:/

and lol, now they're airing the segment about that bronze cast of his hand.

UraMallas

It's been a long time, but I believe some actual analysis shows she cost 2-3 points to McCain. She was a disastrous pick.

But her rollout plus RNC did help the GOP for a very brief time.

Anecdotal but I was a registered Republican during the 2008 election. I had voted for Bush in the previous election. Anyway, McCain's pick of Palin as VP kind of pulled back the curtain for me on the Republican party. It made me take a long hard look at what the GOP stood for and I actually abstained from voting that year because I was in legitimate internal crisis over what I believed. I've slowly moved left ever since and all thanks to McCain's VP pick. I thank him every day for it.

I'm torn. On the one hand it's really impressive that a kid that young is so (mis)informed about politics and so passionate about it.

On the other hand I want to shake the shit out of him while screaming.

Anyone remember that conservative "whiz kid" that every right wing outlet dragged out? I think he even gave address at CPAC. He grew out of it a year later and became a liberal and Obama's fan lol.

Give them time folks.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Completely ridiculous. How can he defend them? His fellow supporters hate him too...:/

and lol, now they're airing the segment about that bronze cast of his hand.
Why defend anything when you can just deny it exists or that it's just the biased liberal media out to get you instead?

Paskil

Oh shit, I would have totally taken a selfie with him lol. With his permission of course.

Not gonna lie, I'd probably freak a bit.

Well, politicians would be our celebrities. I would probably geek out if I met a whole bunch of people that have served or are currently serving in office.

Crocodile

"The campaign is on fire and sinking into a lake that is on fire and the Fire Truck that came to help is also on fire and instead of water coming out of its hose its more fire!" - Rachel Maddow on the state of the Trump campaign (paraphrased)

LMFAO

Christine

Anecdotal but I was a registered Republican during the 2008 election. I had voted for Bush in the previous election. Anyway, McCain's pick of Palin as VP kind of pulled back the curtain for me on the Republican party. It made me take a long hard look at what the GOP stood for and I actually abstained from voting that year because I was in legitimate internal crisis over what I believed. I've slowly moved left ever since and all thanks to McCain's VP pick. I thank him every day for it.

Heh. I can understand that sentiment--for me it wasn't that directly about Palin, but I feel you. I actually did vote for that ridiculous ticket anyway, mostly for the sake of contrariness amidst rock solid blue. Even after I vote for Hillary I'll still have voted for the Republican candidate more times than the Democratic in a Presidential election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom